Ἔσδρας Αʹ 1 Esdras [1 Ezra]
CATSS LXX Wiki Latin Translation LXX / Vulgata Clementina Westminster Leningrad Codex Wiki Latin Translation HB / Vulgata Clementina 1 1Esd 1:1 1 καὶ ἤγαγεν Ιωσιας τὸ πασχα ἐν Ιερουσαλημ τῷ κυρίῳ αὐτοῦ καὶ ἔθυσεν τὸ πασχα τῇ τεσσαρεσκαιδεκάτῃ ἡμέρᾳ τοῦ μηνὸς τοῦ πρώτου 1Esd 1:1
Josias held the Passover in Jerusalem to his Lord, and offered the Passover the fourteenth day of the first month,
- - - 2 1Esd 1:2 2 στήσας τοὺς ἱερεῖς κατ’ ἐφημερίας ἐστολισμένους ἐν τῷ ἱερῷ τοῦ κυρίου 1Esd 1:2
having set the priests according to their daily courses, being arrayed in their vestments, in the Lord’s temple.
- - - 3 1Esd 1:3 3 καὶ εἶπεν τοῖς Λευίταις ἱεροδούλοις τοῦ Ισραηλ ἁγιάσαι ἑαυτοὺς τῷ κυρίῳ ἐν τῇ θέσει τῆς ἁγίας κιβωτοῦ τοῦ κυρίου ἐν τῷ οἴκῳ ᾧ ᾠκοδόμησεν Σαλωμων ὁ τοῦ Δαυιδ ὁ βασιλεύς οὐκ ἔσται ὑμῖν ἆραι ἐπ’ ὤμων αὐτήν 1Esd 1:3
He spoke to the Levites,
the temple servants of Israel, that they should make themselves holy to the Lord, to set the holy ark of the Lord in the house that King Solomon the son of David had built.
- - - 4 1Esd 1:4 4 καὶ νῦν λατρεύετε τῷ κυρίῳ θεῷ ὑμῶν καὶ θεραπεύετε τὸ ἔθνος αὐτοῦ Ισραηλ καὶ ἑτοιμάσατε κατὰ τὰς πατριὰς καὶ τὰς φυλὰς ὑμῶν κατὰ τὴν γραφὴν Δαυιδ βασιλέως Ισραηλ καὶ κατὰ τὴν μεγαλειότητα Σαλωμων τοῦ υἱοῦ αὐτοῦ 1Esd 1:4
He said, “You no longer need to carry it on your shoulders. Now therefore serve the Lord your God, and minister to his people Israel, and prepare yourselves by your fathers’ houses and kindred,
- - - 5 1Esd 1:5 5 καὶ στάντες ἐν τῷ ἱερῷ κατὰ τὴν μεριδαρχίαν τὴν πατρικὴν ὑμῶν τῶν Λευιτῶν τῶν ἔμπροσθεν τῶν ἀδελφῶν ὑμῶν υἱῶν Ισραηλ ἐν τάξει 1Esd 1:5
according to the writing of King David of Israel, and according to the magnificence of Solomon his son. Stand in the holy place according to the divisions of your Levite families who minister in the presence of your kindred the descendants of Israel.
- - - 6 1Esd 1:6 6 θύσατε τὸ πασχα καὶ τὰς θυσίας ἑτοιμάσατε τοῖς ἀδελφοῖς ὑμῶν καὶ ποιήσατε τὸ πασχα κατὰ τὸ πρόσταγμα τοῦ κυρίου τὸ δοθὲν τῷ Μωυσῇ 1Esd 1:6
Offer the Passover in order, prepare the sacrifices for your kindred, and keep the Passover according to the Lord’s commandment, which was given to Moses.
- - - 7 1Esd 1:7 7 καὶ ἐδωρήσατο Ιωσιας τῷ λαῷ τῷ εὑρεθέντι ἀρνῶν καὶ ἐρίφων τριάκοντα χιλιάδας μόσχους τρισχιλίους ταῦτα ἐκ τῶν βασιλικῶν ἐδόθη κατ’ ἐπαγγελίαν τῷ λαῷ καὶ τοῖς ἱερεῦσιν καὶ Λευίταις 1Esd 1:7
¶To the people which were present, Josias gave thirty thousand lambs and kids, and three thousand calves. These things were given from the king’s possessions, as he promised, to the people and to the priests and Levites.
- - - 8 1Esd 1:8 8 καὶ ἔδωκεν Χελκιας καὶ Ζαχαριας καὶ Ησυηλος οἱ ἐπιστάται τοῦ ἱεροῦ τοῖς ἱερεῦσιν εἰς πασχα πρόβατα δισχίλια ἑξακόσια μόσχους τριακοσίους 1Esd 1:8
Helkias, Zacharias, and
Esyelus, the rulers of the temple, gave to the priests for the Passover two thousand six hundred sheep, and three hundred calves.
- - - 9 1Esd 1:9 9 καὶ Ιεχονιας καὶ Σαμαιας καὶ Ναθαναηλ ὁ ἀδελφὸς καὶ Ασαβιας καὶ Οχιηλος καὶ Ιωραμ χιλίαρχοι ἔδωκαν τοῖς Λευίταις εἰς πασχα πρόβατα πεντακισχίλια μόσχους ἑπτακοσίους 1Esd 1:9
Jeconias, Samaias, Nathanael his brother, Sabias, Ochielus, and Joram, captains over thousands, gave to the Levites for the Passover five thousand sheep and seven hundred calves.
- - - 10 1Esd 1:10 10 καὶ ταῦτα τὰ γενόμενα εὐπρεπῶς ἔστησαν οἱ ἱερεῖς καὶ οἱ Λευῖται 1Esd 1:10
¶When these things were done, the priests and Levites, having the unleavened bread, stood in proper order according to the kindred,
- - - 11 1Esd 1:11 11 ἔχοντες τὰ ἄζυμα κατὰ τὰς φυλὰς 1Esd 1:11
and according to the several divisions by fathers’ houses, before the people, to offer to the Lord as it is written in the book of Moses. They did this in the morning.
- - - 12 1Esd 1:12 12 καὶ κατὰ τὰς μεριδαρχίας τῶν πατέρων ἔμπροσθεν τοῦ λαοῦ προσενεγκεῖν τῷ κυρίῳ κατὰ τὰ γεγραμμένα ἐν βιβλίῳ Μωυσῆ καὶ οὕτω τὸ πρωινόν 1Esd 1:12
They roasted the Passover lamb with fire, as required. They boiled the sacrifices in the brazen vessels and caldrons with a pleasing smell,
- - - 13 1Esd 1:13 13 καὶ ὤπτησαν τὸ πασχα πυρὶ ὡς καθήκει καὶ τὰς θυσίας ἥψησαν ἐν τοῖς χαλκείοις καὶ λέβησιν μετ’ εὐωδίας καὶ ἀπήνεγκαν πᾶσι τοῖς ἐκ τοῦ λαοῦ 1Esd 1:13
and set them before all the people. Afterward they prepared for themselves and for their kindred the priests, the sons of Aaron.
- - - 14 1Esd 1:14 14 μετὰ δὲ ταῦτα ἡτοίμασαν ἑαυτοῖς τε καὶ τοῖς ἱερεῦσιν ἀδελφοῖς αὐτῶν υἱοῖς Ααρων οἱ γὰρ ἱερεῖς ἀνέφερον τὰ στέατα ἕως ἀωρίας καὶ οἱ Λευῖται ἡτοίμασαν ἑαυτοῖς καὶ τοῖς ἱερεῦσιν ἀδελφοῖς αὐτῶν υἱοῖς Ααρων 1Esd 1:14
For the priests offered the fat until night. The Levites prepared for themselves and for their kindred the priests, the sons of Aaron.
- - - 15 1Esd 1:15 15 καὶ οἱ ἱεροψάλται υἱοὶ Ασαφ ἦσαν ἐπὶ τῆς τάξεως αὐτῶν κατὰ τὰ ὑπὸ Δαυιδ τεταγμένα καὶ Ασαφ καὶ Ζαχαριας καὶ Εδδινους οἱ παρὰ τοῦ βασιλέως καὶ οἱ θυρωροὶ ἐφ’ ἑκάστου πυλῶνος οὐκ ἔστιν παραβῆναι ἕκαστον τὴν ἑαυτοῦ ἐφημερίαν οἱ γὰρ ἀδελφοὶ αὐτῶν οἱ Λευῖται ἡτοίμασαν αὐτοῖς 1Esd 1:15
The holy singers also, the sons of Asaph, were in their order, according to the appointment of David: Asaph, Zacharias, and Eddinus, who represented the king.
- - - 16 1Esd 1:16 16 καὶ συνετελέσθη τὰ τῆς θυσίας τοῦ κυρίου ἐν ἐκείνῃ τῇ ἡμέρᾳ ἀχθῆναι τὸ πασχα καὶ προσενεχθῆναι τὰς θυσίας ἐπὶ τὸ τοῦ κυρίου θυσιαστήριον κατὰ τὴν ἐπιταγὴν τοῦ βασιλέως Ιωσιου 1Esd 1:16
Moreover the gatekeepers were at every gate. No one needed to depart from his daily duties, for their kindred the Levites prepared for them.
- - - 17 1Esd 1:17 17 καὶ ἠγάγοσαν οἱ υἱοὶ Ισραηλ οἱ εὑρεθέντες ἐν τῷ καιρῷ τούτῳ τὸ πασχα καὶ τὴν ἑορτὴν τῶν ἀζύμων ἡμέρας ἑπτά 1Esd 1:17
¶So the things that belonged to the Lord’s sacrifices were accomplished in that day, in holding the Passover,
- - - 18 1Esd 1:18 18 καὶ οὐκ ἤχθη τὸ πασχα τοιοῦτο ἐν τῷ Ισραηλ ἀπὸ τῶν χρόνων Σαμουηλ τοῦ προφήτου 1Esd 1:18
and offering sacrifices on the altar of the Lord, according to the commandment of King Josias.
- - - 19 1Esd 1:19 19 καὶ πάντες οἱ βασιλεῖς τοῦ Ισραηλ οὐκ ἠγάγοσαν πασχα τοιοῦτον οἷον ἤγαγεν Ιωσιας καὶ οἱ ἱερεῖς καὶ οἱ Λευῖται καὶ οἱ Ιουδαῖοι καὶ πᾶς Ισραηλ οἱ εὑρεθέντες ἐν τῇ κατοικήσει αὐτῶν ἐν Ιερουσαλημ 1Esd 1:19
So the children of Israel which were present at that time held the Passover and the feast of unleavened bread seven days.
- - - 20 1Esd 1:20 20 ὀκτωκαιδεκάτῳ ἔτει βασιλεύοντος Ιωσιου ἤχθη τὸ πασχα τοῦτο 1Esd 1:20
Such a Passover had not been held in Israel since the time of the prophet Samuel.
- - - 21 1Esd 1:21 21 καὶ ὠρθώθη τὰ ἔργα Ιωσιου ἐνώπιον τοῦ κυρίου αὐτοῦ ἐν καρδίᾳ πλήρει εὐσεβείας 1Esd 1:21
Indeed, none of the kings of Israel held such a Passover as Josias with the priests, the Levites, and the Jews, held with all Israel that were present in their dwelling place at Jerusalem.
- - - 22 1Esd 1:22 22 καὶ τὰ κατ’ αὐτὸν δὲ ἀναγέγραπται ἐν τοῖς ἔμπροσθεν χρόνοις περὶ τῶν ἡμαρτηκότων καὶ ἠσεβηκότων εἰς τὸν κύριον παρὰ πᾶν ἔθνος καὶ βασιλείαν καὶ ἃ ἐλύπησαν αὐτὸν ἐν αἰσθήσει καὶ οἱ λόγοι τοῦ κυρίου ἀνέστησαν ἐπὶ Ισραηλ 1Esd 1:22
This Passover was held in the eighteenth year of the reign of Josias.
- - - 23 1Esd 1:23 23 καὶ μετὰ πᾶσαν τὴν πρᾶξιν ταύτην Ιωσιου συνέβη Φαραω βασιλέα Αἰγύπτου ἐλθόντα πόλεμον ἐγεῖραι ἐν Χαρκαμυς ἐπὶ τοῦ Εὐφράτου καὶ ἐξῆλθεν εἰς ἀπάντησιν αὐτῷ Ιωσιας 1Esd 1:23
The works of Josias were upright before his Lord with a heart full of godliness.
- - - 24 1Esd 1:24 24 καὶ διεπέμψατο βασιλεὺς Αἰγύπτου πρὸς αὐτὸν λέγων τί ἐμοὶ καὶ σοί ἐστιν βασιλεῦ τῆς Ιουδαίας 1Esd 1:24
Moreover the things that came to pass in his days have been written in times past, concerning those who sinned and did wickedly against the Lord more than any other people or kingdom, and how they grieved him
exceedingly, so that the Lord’s words were confirmed against Israel.
- - - 25 1Esd 1:25 25 οὐχὶ πρὸς σὲ ἐξαπέσταλμαι ὑπὸ κυρίου τοῦ θεοῦ ἐπὶ γὰρ τοῦ Εὐφράτου ὁ πόλεμός μού ἐστιν καὶ νῦν κύριος μετ’ ἐμοῦ ἐστιν καὶ κύριος μετ’ ἐμοῦ ἐπισπεύδων ἐστίν ἀπόστηθι καὶ μὴ ἐναντιοῦ τῷ κυρίῳ 1Esd 1:25
Now after all these acts of Josias, it came to pass that Pharaoh the king of Egypt came to make war at Carchemish on the Euphrates; and Josias went out against him.
- - - 26 1Esd 1:26 26 καὶ οὐκ ἀπέστρεψεν ἑαυτὸν Ιωσιας ἐπὶ τὸ ἅρμα αὐτοῦ ἀλλὰ πολεμεῖν αὐτὸν ἐπιχειρεῖ οὐ προσέχων ῥήμασιν Ιερεμιου προφήτου ἐκ στόματος κυρίου 1Esd 1:26
But the king of Egypt sent to him, saying, “What do I have to do with you, O king of Judea?
- - - 27 1Esd 1:27 27 ἀλλὰ συνεστήσατο πρὸς αὐτὸν πόλεμον ἐν τῷ πεδίῳ Μαγεδδαους καὶ κατέβησαν οἱ ἄρχοντες πρὸς τὸν βασιλέα Ιωσιαν 1Esd 1:27
I wasn’t sent out from the Lord God against you, for my war is against the Euphrates. Now the Lord is with me, yes, the Lord is with me hastening me forward. Depart from me, and don’t be against the Lord.”
- - - 28 1Esd 1:28 28 καὶ εἶπεν ὁ βασιλεὺς τοῖς παισὶν αὐτοῦ ἀποστήσατέ με ἀπὸ τῆς μάχης ἠσθένησα γὰρ λίαν καὶ εὐθέως ἀπέστησαν αὐτὸν οἱ παῖδες αὐτοῦ ἀπὸ τῆς παρατάξεως 1Esd 1:28
¶However, Josias didn’t turn back to his chariot, but tried to fight with him, not regarding the words of the prophet Jeremy from the Lord’s mouth,
- - - 29 1Esd 1:29 29 καὶ ἀνέβη ἐπὶ τὸ ἅρμα τὸ δευτέριον αὐτοῦ καὶ ἀποκατασταθεὶς εἰς Ιερουσαλημ μετήλλαξεν τὸν βίον αὐτοῦ καὶ ἐτάφη ἐν τῷ πατρικῷ τάφῳ 1Esd 1:29
but joined battle with him in the plain of Megiddo, and the commanders came down against King Josias.
- - - 30 1Esd 1:30 30 καὶ ἐν ὅλῃ τῇ Ιουδαίᾳ ἐπένθησαν τὸν Ιωσιαν καὶ ἐθρήνησεν Ιερεμιας ὁ προφήτης ὑπὲρ Ιωσιου καὶ οἱ προκαθήμενοι σὺν γυναιξὶν ἐθρηνοῦσαν αὐτὸν ἕως τῆς ἡμέρας ταύτης καὶ ἐξεδόθη τοῦτο γίνεσθαι αἰεὶ εἰς ἅπαν τὸ γένος Ισραηλ 1Esd 1:30
Then the king said to his servants, “Carry me away out of the battle, for I am very weak!” Immediately his servants carried him away out of the army.
- - - 31 1Esd 1:31 31 ταῦτα δὲ ἀναγέγραπται ἐν τῇ βύβλῳ τῶν ἱστορουμένων περὶ τῶν βασιλέων τῆς Ιουδαίας καὶ τὸ καθ’ ἓν πραχθὲν τῆς πράξεως Ιωσιου καὶ τῆς δόξης αὐτοῦ καὶ τῆς συνέσεως αὐτοῦ ἐν τῷ νόμῳ κυρίου τά τε προπραχθέντα ὑπ’ αὐτοῦ καὶ τὰ νῦν ἱστόρηται ἐν τῷ βυβλίῳ τῶν βασιλέων Ισραηλ καὶ Ιουδα 1Esd 1:31
Then he got into his second chariot. After he was brought back to Jerusalem he died, and was buried in the tomb of his ancestors.
- - - 32 1Esd 1:32 32 καὶ ἀναλαβόντες οἱ ἐκ τοῦ ἔθνους τὸν Ιεχονιαν υἱὸν Ιωσιου ἀνέδειξαν βασιλέα ἀντὶ Ιωσιου τοῦ πατρὸς αὐτοῦ ὄντα ἐτῶν εἴκοσι τριῶν 1Esd 1:32
All Judea mourned for Josias. Jeremy the prophet lamented for Josias, and the chief men with the women made lamentation for him to this day. This was given out for an ordinance to be done continually in all the nation of Israel.
- - - 33 1Esd 1:33 33 καὶ ἐβασίλευσεν ἐν Ιουδα καὶ Ιερουσαλημ μῆνας τρεῖς καὶ ἀπεκατέστησεν αὐτὸν βασιλεὺς Αἰγύπτου βασιλεύειν ἐν Ιερουσαλημ 1Esd 1:33
These things are written in the book of the histories of the kings of Judea, and every one of the acts that Josias did, and his glory, and his understanding in the law of the Lord, and the things that he had done before, and the things now told, are reported in the book of the kings of Israel and Judah.
- - - 34 1Esd 1:34 34 καὶ ἐζημίωσεν τὸ ἔθνος ἀργυρίου ταλάντοις ἑκατὸν καὶ χρυσίου ταλάντῳ ἑνί 1Esd 1:34
The people took
Joachaz the son of Josias, and made him king instead of Josias his father, when he was twenty-three years old.
- - - 35 1Esd 1:35 35 καὶ ἀνέδειξεν ὁ βασιλεὺς Αἰγύπτου βασιλέα Ιωακιμ τὸν ἀδελφὸν αὐτοῦ βασιλέα τῆς Ιουδαίας καὶ Ιερουσαλημ 1Esd 1:35
He reigned in Judah and Jerusalem for three months. Then the king of Egypt deposed him from reigning in Jerusalem.
- - - 36 1Esd 1:36 36 καὶ ἔδησεν Ιωακιμ τοὺς μεγιστᾶνας Ζαριον δὲ τὸν ἀδελφὸν αὐτοῦ συλλαβὼν ἀνήγαγεν ἐξ Αἰγύπτου 1Esd 1:36
He set a tax upon the people of one hundred talents of silver and one talent of gold.
- - - 37 1Esd 1:37 37 ἐτῶν δὲ ἦν εἴκοσι πέντε Ιωακιμ ὅτε ἐβασίλευσεν τῆς Ιουδαίας καὶ Ιερουσαλημ καὶ ἐποίησεν τὸ πονηρὸν ἐνώπιον κυρίου 1Esd 1:37
The king of Egypt also made King Joakim his brother king of Judea and Jerusalem.
- - - 38 1Esd 1:38 38 ἐπ’ αὐτὸν δὲ ἀνέβη Ναβουχοδονοσορ βασιλεὺς Βαβυλῶνος καὶ δήσας αὐτὸν ἐν χαλκείῳ δεσμῷ ἀπήγαγεν εἰς Βαβυλῶνα 1Esd 1:38
And Joakim imprisoned the nobles and apprehended his brother Zarakes, and brought him up out of Egypt.
- - - 39 1Esd 1:39 39 καὶ ἀπὸ τῶν ἱερῶν σκευῶν τοῦ κυρίου λαβὼν Ναβουχοδονοσορ καὶ ἀπενέγκας ἀπηρείσατο ἐν τῷ ναῷ αὐτοῦ ἐν Βαβυλῶνι 1Esd 1:39
Joakim was twenty-five years old when he began to reign in Judea and Jerusalem. He did that which was evil in the sight of the Lord.
- - - 40 1Esd 1:40 40 τὰ δὲ ἱστορηθέντα περὶ αὐτοῦ καὶ τῆς αὐτοῦ ἀκαθαρσίας καὶ δυσσεβείας ἀναγέγραπται ἐν τῇ βίβλῳ τῶν χρόνων τῶν βασιλέων 1Esd 1:40
King Nabuchodonosor of Babylon came up against him, bound him with a chain of brass, and carried him to Babylon.
- - - 41 1Esd 1:41 41 καὶ ἐβασίλευσεν ἀντ’ αὐτοῦ Ιωακιμ ὁ υἱὸς αὐτοῦ ὅτε γὰρ ἀνεδείχθη ἦν ἐτῶν δέκα ὀκτώ 1Esd 1:41
Nabuchodonosor also took some of the Lord’s holy vessels, carried them away, and stored them in his own temple at Babylon.
- - - 42 1Esd 1:42 42 βασιλεύει δὲ μῆνας τρεῖς καὶ ἡμέρας δέκα ἐν Ιερουσαλημ καὶ ἐποίησεν τὸ πονηρὸν ἔναντι κυρίου 1Esd 1:42
But those things that are reported of him, and of his uncleanness and impiety, are written in the chronicles of the kings.
- - - 43 1Esd 1:43 43 καὶ μετ’ ἐνιαυτὸν ἀποστείλας Ναβουχοδονοσορ μετήγαγεν αὐτὸν εἰς Βαβυλῶνα ἅμα τοῖς ἱεροῖς σκεύεσιν τοῦ κυρίου 1Esd 1:43
Then Joakim his son reigned in his place. When he was made king, he was eighteen years old.
- - - 44 1Esd 1:44 44 καὶ ἀνέδειξε Σεδεκιαν βασιλέα τῆς Ιουδαίας καὶ Ιερουσαλημ Σεδεκιαν ὄντα ἐτῶν εἴκοσι ἑνός βασιλεύει δὲ ἔτη ἕνδεκα 1Esd 1:44
He reigned three months and ten days in Jerusalem. He did that which was evil before the Lord.
- - - 45 1Esd 1:45 45 καὶ ἐποίησεν τὸ πονηρὸν ἐνώπιον κυρίου καὶ οὐκ ἐνετράπη ἀπὸ τῶν ῥηθέντων λόγων ὑπὸ Ιερεμιου τοῦ προφήτου ἐκ στόματος τοῦ κυρίου 1Esd 1:45
¶So after a year Nabuchodonosor sent and caused him to be brought to Babylon with the holy vessels of the Lord,
- - - 46 1Esd 1:46 46 καὶ ὁρκισθεὶς ἀπὸ τοῦ βασιλέως Ναβουχοδονοσορ τῷ ὀνόματι τοῦ κυρίου ἐπιορκήσας ἀπέστη καὶ σκληρύνας αὐτοῦ τὸν τράχηλον καὶ τὴν καρδίαν αὐτοῦ παρέβη τὰ νόμιμα κυρίου θεοῦ Ισραηλ 1Esd 1:46
and made Sedekias king of Judea and Jerusalem when he was twenty-one years old. He reigned eleven years.
- - - 47 1Esd 1:47 47 καὶ οἱ ἡγούμενοι δὲ τοῦ λαοῦ καὶ τῶν ἱερέων πολλὰ ἠσέβησαν καὶ ἠνόμησαν ὑπὲρ πάσας τὰς ἀκαθαρσίας πάντων τῶν ἐθνῶν καὶ ἐμίαναν τὸ ἱερὸν τοῦ κυρίου τὸ ἁγιαζόμενον ἐν Ιεροσολύμοις 1Esd 1:47
He also did that which was evil in the sight of the Lord, and didn’t heed the words that were spoken by Jeremy the prophet from the Lord’s mouth.
- - - 48 1Esd 1:48 48 καὶ ἀπέστειλεν ὁ θεὸς τῶν πατέρων αὐτῶν διὰ τοῦ ἀγγέλου αὐτοῦ μετακαλέσαι αὐτούς καθὸ ἐφείδετο αὐτῶν καὶ τοῦ σκηνώματος αὐτοῦ 1Esd 1:48
After King Nabuchodonosor had made him to swear by the name of the Lord, he broke his oath and rebelled. Hardening his neck and his heart, he transgressed the laws of the Lord, the God of Israel.
- - - 49 1Esd 1:49 49 αὐτοὶ δὲ ἐξεμυκτήρισαν ἐν τοῖς ἀγγέλοις αὐτοῦ καὶ ᾗ ἡμέρᾳ ἐλάλησεν κύριος ἦσαν ἐκπαίζοντες τοὺς προφήτας αὐτοῦ ἕως τοῦ θυμωθέντα αὐτὸν ἐπὶ τῷ ἔθνει αὐτοῦ διὰ τὰ δυσσεβήματα προστάξαι ἀναβιβάσαι ἐπ’ αὐτοὺς τοὺς βασιλεῖς τῶν Χαλδαίων 1Esd 1:49
Moreover the governors of the people and of the priests did many things wickedly, exceeding all the defilements of all nations, and defiled the temple of the Lord, which was sanctified in Jerusalem.
- - - 50 1Esd 1:50 50 οὗτοι ἀπέκτειναν τοὺς νεανίσκους αὐτῶν ἐν ῥομφαίᾳ περικύκλῳ τοῦ ἁγίου αὐτῶν ἱεροῦ καὶ οὐκ ἐφείσαντο νεανίσκου καὶ παρθένου καὶ πρεσβύτου καὶ νεωτέρου ἀλλὰ πάντας παρέδωκεν εἰς τὰς χεῖρας αὐτῶν 1Esd 1:50
The God of their ancestors sent by his messenger to call them back, because he had compassion on them and on his dwelling place.
- - - 51 1Esd 1:51 51 καὶ πάντα τὰ ἱερὰ σκεύη τοῦ κυρίου τὰ μεγάλα καὶ τὰ μικρὰ καὶ τὰς κιβωτοὺς τοῦ κυρίου καὶ τὰς βασιλικὰς ἀποθήκας ἀναλαβόντες ἀπήνεγκαν εἰς Βαβυλῶνα 1Esd 1:51
But they mocked his messengers. In the day when the Lord spoke, they scoffed at his prophets
- - - 52 1Esd 1:52 52 καὶ ἐνεπύρισαν τὸν οἶκον τοῦ κυρίου καὶ ἔλυσαν τὰ τείχα Ιεροσολύμων καὶ τοὺς πύργους αὐτῶν ἐνεπύρισαν ἐν πυρὶ 1Esd 1:52
until he, being angry with his people for their great ungodliness, commanded to bring up the kings of the Chaldeans against them.
- - - 53 1Esd 1:53 53 καὶ συνετέλεσαν πάντα τὰ ἔνδοξα αὐτῆς ἀχρεῶσαι καὶ τοὺς ἐπιλοίπους ἀπήγαγεν μετὰ ῥομφαίας εἰς Βαβυλῶνα 1Esd 1:53
They killed their young men with the sword around their holy temple, and spared neither young man or young woman, old man or child; but he delivered all of them into their hands.
- - - 54 1Esd 1:54 54 καὶ ἦσαν παῖδες αὐτῷ καὶ τοῖς υἱοῖς αὐτοῦ μέχρι τοῦ βασιλεῦσαι Πέρσας εἰς ἀναπλήρωσιν τοῦ ῥήματος τοῦ κυρίου ἐν στόματι Ιερεμιου 1Esd 1:54
They took all the holy vessels of the Lord, both great and small, with the treasure chests of the Lord’s ark and the king’s treasures, and carried them away to Babylon.
- - - 55 1Esd 1:55 55 ἕως τοῦ εὐδοκῆσαι τὴν γῆν τὰ σάββατα αὐτῆς πάντα τὸν χρόνον τῆς ἐρημώσεως αὐτῆς σαββατιεῖ εἰς συμπλήρωσιν ἐτῶν ἑβδομήκοντα 1Esd 1:55
They burned the Lord’s house, broke down Jerusalem’s walls, and burned its towers with fire.
- - -
Match Diacritics KEYMAP Wildcard