Ἔσδρας Αʹ 1 Esdras [1 Ezra]
CATSS LXX Wiki Latin Translation LXX / Vulgata Clementina Westminster Leningrad Codex Wiki Latin Translation HB / Vulgata Clementina 1 1Esd 3:1 1 καὶ βασιλεὺς Δαρεῖος ἐποίησεν δοχὴν μεγάλην πᾶσιν τοῖς ὑπ’ αὐτὸν καὶ πᾶσιν τοῖς οἰκογενέσιν αὐτοῦ καὶ πᾶσιν τοῖς μεγιστᾶσιν τῆς Μηδίας καὶ τῆς Περσίδος 1Esd 3:1
¶Now King Darius made a great feast for all his subjects, for all who were born in his house, for all the princes of Media and of Persia,
- - - 2 1Esd 3:2 2 καὶ πᾶσιν τοῖς σατράπαις καὶ στρατηγοῖς καὶ τοπάρχαις τοῖς ὑπ’ αὐτὸν ἀπὸ τῆς Ἰνδικῆς μέχρι τῆς Αἰθιοπίας ἐν ταῖς ἑκατὸν εἴκοσι ἑπτὰ σατραπείαις 1Esd 3:2
and for all the local governors and captains and governors who were under him, from India to Ethiopia, in the one hundred twenty seven provinces.
- - - 3 1Esd 3:3 3 καὶ ἐφάγοσαν καὶ ἐπίοσαν καὶ ἐμπλησθέντες ἀνέλυσαν ὁ δὲ Δαρεῖος ὁ βασιλεὺς ἀνέλυσεν εἰς τὸν κοιτῶνα καὶ ἐκοιμήθη καὶ ἔξυπνος ἐγένετο 1Esd 3:3
They ate and drank, and when they were satisfied went home. Then King Darius went into his bedchamber slept, but awakened out of his sleep.
- - - 4 1Esd 3:4 4 τότε οἱ τρεῖς νεανίσκοι οἱ σωματοφύλακες οἱ φυλάσσοντες τὸ σῶμα τοῦ βασιλέως εἶπαν ἕτερος πρὸς τὸν ἕτερον 1Esd 3:4
¶Then the three young men of the bodyguard, who guarded the king, spoke one to another:
- - - 5 1Esd 3:5 5 εἴπωμεν ἕκαστος ἡμῶν ἕνα λόγον ὃς ὑπερισχύσει καὶ οὗ ἂν φανῇ τὸ ῥῆμα αὐτοῦ σοφώτερον τοῦ ἑτέρου δώσει αὐτῷ Δαρεῖος ὁ βασιλεὺς δωρεὰς μεγάλας καὶ ἐπινίκια μεγάλα 1Esd 3:5
“Let every one of us state what one thing is strongest. King Darius will give he whose statement seems wiser than the others great gifts and great honors in token of victory.
- - - 6 1Esd 3:6 6 καὶ πορφύραν περιβαλέσθαι καὶ ἐν χρυσώμασιν πίνειν καὶ ἐπὶ χρυσῷ καθεύδειν καὶ ἅρμα χρυσοχάλινον καὶ κίδαριν βυσσίνην καὶ μανιάκην περὶ τὸν τράχηλον 1Esd 3:6
He shall be clothed in purple, drink from gold cups, sleep on a gold bed, and have a chariot with bridles of gold, a fine linen turban, and a chain around his neck.
- - - 7 1Esd 3:7 7 καὶ δεύτερος καθιεῖται Δαρείου διὰ τὴν σοφίαν αὐτοῦ καὶ συγγενὴς Δαρείου κληθήσεται 1Esd 3:7
He shall sit next to Darius because of his wisdom, and shall be called cousin of Darius.”
- - - 8 1Esd 3:8 8 καὶ τότε γράψαντες ἕκαστος τὸν ἑαυτοῦ λόγον ἐσφραγίσαντο καὶ ἔθηκαν ὑπὸ τὸ προσκεφάλαιον Δαρείου τοῦ βασιλέως καὶ εἶπαν 1Esd 3:8
¶Then they each wrote his sentence, sealed them, and laid them under King Darius’ pillow,
- - - 9 1Esd 3:9 9 ὅταν ἐγερθῇ ὁ βασιλεύς δώσουσιν αὐτῷ τὸ γράμμα καὶ ὃν ἂν κρίνῃ ὁ βασιλεὺς καὶ οἱ τρεῖς μεγιστᾶνες τῆς Περσίδος ὅτι ὁ λόγος αὐτοῦ σοφώτερος αὐτῷ δοθήσεται τὸ νῖκος καθὼς γέγραπται 1Esd 3:9
and said, “When the king wakes up, someone will give him the writing. Whoever the king and the three princes of Persia judge that his sentence is the wisest, to him shall the victory be given, as it is written.”
- - - 10 1Esd 3:10 10 ὁ εἷς ἔγραψεν ὑπερισχύει ὁ οἶνος 1Esd 3:10
The first wrote, “Wine is the strongest.”
- - - 11 1Esd 3:11 11 ὁ ἕτερος ἔγραψεν ὑπερισχύει ὁ βασιλεύς 1Esd 3:11
The second wrote, “The king is strongest.”
- - - 12 1Esd 3:12 12 ὁ τρίτος ἔγραψεν ὑπερισχύουσιν αἱ γυναῖκες ὑπὲρ δὲ πάντα νικᾷ ἡ ἀλήθεια 1Esd 3:12
The third wrote, “Women are strongest, but above all things Truth is the victor.”
- - - 13 1Esd 3:13 13 καὶ ὅτε ἐξηγέρθη ὁ βασιλεύς λαβόντες τὸ γράμμα ἔδωκαν αὐτῷ καὶ ἀνέγνω 1Esd 3:13
¶Now when the king woke up, they took the writing and gave it to him, so he read it.
- - - 14 1Esd 3:14 14 καὶ ἐξαποστείλας ἐκάλεσεν πάντας τοὺς μεγιστᾶνας τῆς Περσίδος καὶ τῆς Μηδίας καὶ σατράπας καὶ στρατηγοὺς καὶ τοπάρχας καὶ ὑπάτους καὶ ἐκάθισεν ἐν τῷ χρηματιστηρίῳ καὶ ἀνεγνώσθη τὸ γράμμα ἐνώπιον αὐτῶν 1Esd 3:14
Sending out, he called all the princes of Persia and of Media, the local governors, the captains, the governors, and the chief officers
- - - 15 1Esd 3:15 15 καὶ εἶπεν καλέσατε τοὺς νεανίσκους καὶ αὐτοὶ δηλώσουσιν τοὺς λόγους αὐτῶν καὶ ἐκλήθησαν καὶ εἰσήλθοσαν 1Esd 3:15
and sat himself down in the royal seat of judgment; and the writing was read before them.
- - - 16 1Esd 3:16 16 καὶ εἶπαν αὐτοῖς ἀπαγγείλατε ἡμῖν περὶ τῶν γεγραμμένων 1Esd 3:16
He said, “Call the young men, and they shall explain their own sentences. So they were called and came in.
- - - 17 1Esd 3:17 17 καὶ ἤρξατο ὁ πρῶτος ὁ εἴπας περὶ τῆς ἰσχύος τοῦ οἴνου καὶ ἔφη οὕτως 1Esd 3:17
They said to them, “Explain what you have written.” ¶Then the first, who had spoken of the strength of wine, began
- - - 18 1Esd 3:18 18 ἄνδρες πῶς ὑπερισχύει ὁ οἶνος πάντας τοὺς ἀνθρώπους τοὺς πίνοντας αὐτὸν πλανᾷ τὴν διάνοιαν 1Esd 3:18
and said this: “O sirs, how exceedingly strong wine is! It causes all men who drink it to go astray.
- - - 19 1Esd 3:19 19 τοῦ τε βασιλέως καὶ τοῦ ὀρφανοῦ ποιεῖ τὴν διάνοιαν μίαν τήν τε τοῦ οἰκέτου καὶ τὴν τοῦ ἐλευθέρου τήν τε τοῦ πένητος καὶ τὴν τοῦ πλουσίου 1Esd 3:19
It makes the mind of the king and of the fatherless child to be the same, likewise of the bondman and of the freeman, of the poor man and of the rich.
- - - 20 1Esd 3:20 20 καὶ πᾶσαν διάνοιαν μεταστρέφει εἰς εὐωχίαν καὶ εὐφροσύνην καὶ οὐ μέμνηται πᾶσαν λύπην καὶ πᾶν ὀφείλημα 1Esd 3:20
It also turns every thought into cheer and mirth, so that a man remembers neither sorrow nor debt.
- - - 21 1Esd 3:21 21 καὶ πάσας καρδίας ποιεῖ πλουσίας καὶ οὐ μέμνηται βασιλέα οὐδὲ σατράπην καὶ πάντα διὰ ταλάντων ποιεῖ λαλεῖν 1Esd 3:21
It makes every heart rich, so that a man remembers neither king nor local governor. It makes people say things in large amounts.
- - - 22 1Esd 3:22 22 καὶ οὐ μέμνηται ὅταν πίνωσιν φιλιάζειν φίλοις καὶ ἀδελφοῖς καὶ μετ’ οὐ πολὺ σπῶνται μαχαίρας 1Esd 3:22
When they are in their cups, they forget their love both to friends and kindred, and before long draw their swords.
- - - 23 1Esd 3:23 23 καὶ ὅταν ἀπὸ τοῦ οἴνου γενηθῶσιν οὐ μέμνηται ἃ ἔπραξαν 1Esd 3:23
But when they awake from their wine, they don’t remember what they have done.
- - - 24 1Esd 3:24 24 ὦ ἄνδρες οὐχ ὑπερισχύει ὁ οἶνος ὅτι οὕτως ἀναγκάζει ποιεῖν καὶ ἐσίγησεν οὕτως εἴπας 1Esd 3:24
O sirs, isn’t wine the strongest, seeing that it forces people to do this?” And when he had said this, he stopped speaking.
- - -
Match Diacritics KEYMAP Wildcard