Ἔσδρας Αʹ 1 Esdras [1 Ezra]
CATSS LXX Wiki Latin Translation LXX / Vulgata Clementina Westminster Leningrad Codex Wiki Latin Translation HB / Vulgata Clementina 1 1Esd 4:1 1 καὶ ἤρξατο ὁ δεύτερος λαλεῖν ὁ εἴπας περὶ τῆς ἰσχύος τοῦ βασιλέως 1Esd 4:1
¶Then the second, who had spoken of the strength of the king, began to say,
- - - 2 1Esd 4:2 2 ὦ ἄνδρες οὐχ ὑπερισχύουσιν οἱ ἄνθρωποι τὴν γῆν καὶ τὴν θάλασσαν κατακρατοῦντες καὶ πάντα τὰ ἐν αὐτοῖς 1Esd 4:2
“O sirs, don’t men excel in strength who rule over the sea and land, and all things in them?
- - - 3 1Esd 4:3 3 ὁ δὲ βασιλεὺς ὑπερισχύει καὶ κυριεύει αὐτῶν καὶ δεσπόζει αὐτῶν καὶ πᾶν ὃ ἐὰν εἴπῃ αὐτοῖς ἐνακούουσιν 1Esd 4:3
But yet the king is stronger. He is their lord and has dominion over them. In whatever he commands them, they obey him.
- - - 4 1Esd 4:4 4 ἐὰν εἴπῃ αὐτοῖς ποιῆσαι πόλεμον ἕτερος πρὸς τὸν ἕτερον ποιοῦσιν ἐὰν δὲ ἐξαποστείλῃ αὐτοὺς πρὸς τοὺς πολεμίους βαδίζουσιν καὶ κατεργάζονται τὰ ὄρη καὶ τὰ τείχη καὶ τοὺς πύργους 1Esd 4:4
If he tells them to make war the one against the other, they do it. If he sends them out against the enemies, they go, and conquer mountains, walls, and towers.
- - - 5 1Esd 4:5 5 φονεύουσιν καὶ φονεύονται καὶ τὸν λόγον τοῦ βασιλέως οὐ παραβαίνουσιν ἐὰν δὲ νικήσωσιν τῷ βασιλεῖ κομίζουσιν πάντα καὶ ὅσα ἐὰν προνομεύσωσιν καὶ τὰ ἄλλα πάντα 1Esd 4:5
They kill and are killed, and don’t disobey the king’s commandment. If they win the victory, they bring everything to the king—all the plunder and everything else.
- - - 6 1Esd 4:6 6 καὶ ὅσοι οὐ στρατεύονται οὐδὲ πολεμοῦσιν ἀλλὰ γεωργοῦσιν τὴν γῆν πάλιν ὅταν σπείρωσι θερίσαντες ἀναφέρουσιν τῷ βασιλεῖ καὶ ἕτερος τὸν ἕτερον ἀναγκάζοντες ἀναφέρουσι τοὺς φόρους τῷ βασιλεῖ 1Esd 4:6
Likewise for those who are not soldiers, and don’t have anything to do with wars, but farm, when they have reaped again that which they had sown, they bring some to the king and compel one another to pay tribute to the king.
- - - 7 1Esd 4:7 7 καὶ αὐτὸς εἷς μόνος ἐστίν ἐὰν εἴπῃ ἀποκτεῖναι ἀποκτέννουσιν εἶπεν ἀφεῖναι ἀφίουσιν 1Esd 4:7
He is just one man! If he commands people to kill, they kill. If he commands them to spare, they spare.
- - - 8 1Esd 4:8 8 εἶπε πατάξαι τύπτουσιν εἶπεν ἐρημῶσαι ἐρημοῦσιν εἶπεν οἰκοδομῆσαι οἰκοδομοῦσιν 1Esd 4:8
If he commands them to strike, they strike. If he commands them to make desolate, they make desolate. If he commands to build, they build.
- - - 9 1Esd 4:9 9 εἶπεν ἐκκόψαι ἐκκόπτουσιν εἶπεν φυτεῦσαι φυτεύουσιν 1Esd 4:9
If he commands them to cut down, they cut down. If he commands them to plant, they plant.
- - - 10 1Esd 4:10 10 καὶ πᾶς ὁ λαὸς αὐτοῦ καὶ αἱ δυνάμεις αὐτοῦ ἐνακούουσιν 1Esd 4:10
So all his people and his armies obey him. Furthermore, he lies down, he eats and drinks, and takes his rest;
- - - 11 1Esd 4:11 11 πρὸς δὲ τούτοις αὐτὸς ἀνάκειται ἐσθίει καὶ πίνει καὶ καθεύδει αὐτοὶ δὲ τηροῦσιν κύκλῳ περὶ αὐτὸν καὶ οὐ δύνανται ἕκαστος ἀπελθεῖν καὶ ποιεῖν τὰ ἔργα αὐτοῦ οὐδὲ παρακούουσιν αὐτοῦ 1Esd 4:11
and these keep watch around him. None of them may depart and do his own business. They don’t disobey him in anything.
- - - 12 1Esd 4:12 12 ὦ ἄνδρες πῶς οὐχ ὑπερισχύει ὁ βασιλεύς ὅτι οὕτως ἐπακουστός ἐστιν καὶ ἐσίγησεν 1Esd 4:12
O sirs, how could the king not be the strongest, seeing that he is obeyed like this?” Then he stopped talking.
- - - 13 1Esd 4:13 13 ὁ δὲ τρίτος ὁ εἴπας περὶ τῶν γυναικῶν καὶ τῆς ἀληθείας οὗτός ἐστιν Ζοροβαβελ ἤρξατο λαλεῖν 1Esd 4:13
¶Then the third, who had spoken of women, and of truth, (this was Zorobabel) began to speak:
- - - 14 1Esd 4:14 14 ἄνδρες οὐ μέγας ὁ βασιλεὺς καὶ πολλοὶ οἱ ἄνθρωποι καὶ ὁ οἶνος ἰσχύει τίς οὖν ὁ δεσπόζων αὐτῶν ἢ τίς ὁ κυριεύων αὐτῶν οὐχ αἱ γυναῖκες 1Esd 4:14
“O sirs, isn’t the king great, and men are many, and isn’t wine strong? Who is it then who rules them, or has the lordship over them? Aren’t they women?
- - - 15 1Esd 4:15 15 αἱ γυναῖκες ἐγέννησαν τὸν βασιλέα καὶ πάντα τὸν λαόν ὃς κυριεύει τῆς θαλάσσης καὶ τῆς γῆς 1Esd 4:15
Women have given birth to the king and all the people who rule over sea and land.
- - - 16 1Esd 4:16 16 καὶ ἐξ αὐτῶν ἐγένοντο καὶ αὗται ἐξέθρεψαν αὐτοὺς τοὺς φυτεύοντας τοὺς ἀμπελῶνας ἐξ ὧν ὁ οἶνος γίνεται 1Esd 4:16
They came from women. Women nourished up those who planted the vineyards, from where the wine comes.
- - - 17 1Esd 4:17 17 καὶ αὗται ποιοῦσιν τὰς στολὰς τῶν ἀνθρώπων καὶ αὗται ποιοῦσιν δόξαν τοῖς ἀνθρώποις καὶ οὐ δύνανται οἱ ἄνθρωποι εἶναι χωρὶς τῶν γυναικῶν 1Esd 4:17
Women also make garments for men. These bring glory to men. Without women, men can’t exist.
- - - 18 1Esd 4:18 18 ἐὰν δὲ συναγάγωσιν χρυσίον καὶ ἀργύριον καὶ πᾶν πρᾶγμα ὡραῖον καὶ ἴδωσιν γυναῖκα μίαν καλὴν τῷ εἴδει καὶ τῷ κάλλει 1Esd 4:18
Yes, and if men have gathered together gold and silver and any other beautiful thing, and see a woman who is lovely in appearance and beauty,
- - - 19 1Esd 4:19 19 καὶ ταῦτα πάντα ἀφέντες εἰς αὐτὴν ἐγκέχηναν καὶ χάσκοντες τὸ στόμα θεωροῦσιν αὐτήν καὶ πάντες αὐτὴν αἱρετίζουσιν μᾶλλον ἢ τὸ χρυσίον καὶ τὸ ἀργύριον καὶ πᾶν πρᾶγμα ὡραῖον 1Esd 4:19
they let all those things go and gape at her, and with open mouth stare at her. They all have more desire for her than for gold, or silver, or any other beautiful thing.
- - - 20 1Esd 4:20 20 ἄνθρωπος τὸν ἑαυτοῦ πατέρα ἐγκαταλείπει ὃς ἐξέθρεψεν αὐτόν καὶ τὴν ἰδίαν χώραν καὶ πρὸς τὴν ἰδίαν γυναῖκα κολλᾶται 1Esd 4:20
A man leaves his own father who brought him up, leaves his own country, and joins with his wife.
- - - 21 1Esd 4:21 21 καὶ μετὰ τῆς γυναικὸς ἀφίησι τὴν ψυχὴν καὶ οὔτε τὸν πατέρα μέμνηται οὔτε τὴν μητέρα οὔτε τὴν χώραν 1Esd 4:21
With his wife he ends his days, with no thought for his father, mother, or country.
- - - 22 1Esd 4:22 22 καὶ ἐντεῦθεν δεῖ ὑμᾶς γνῶναι ὅτι αἱ γυναῖκες κυριεύουσιν ὑμῶν οὐχὶ πονεῖτε καὶ μοχθεῖτε καὶ πάντα ταῖς γυναιξὶν δίδοτε καὶ φέρετε 1Esd 4:22
By this also you must know that women have dominion over you. Don’t you labor and toil, and bring it all to give to women?
- - - 23 1Esd 4:23 23 καὶ λαμβάνει ἄνθρωπος τὴν ῥομφαίαν αὐτοῦ καὶ ἐκπορεύεται ἐξοδεύειν καὶ λῃστεύειν καὶ κλέπτειν καὶ εἰς τὴν θάλασσαν πλεῖν καὶ ποταμούς 1Esd 4:23
Yes, a man takes his sword and goes out to travel, to rob, to steal, and to sail on the sea and on rivers.
- - - 24 1Esd 4:24 24 καὶ τὸν λέοντα θεωρεῖ καὶ ἐν σκότει βαδίζει καὶ ὅταν κλέψῃ καὶ ἁρπάσῃ καὶ λωποδυτήσῃ τῇ ἐρωμένῃ ἀποφέρει 1Esd 4:24
He sees a lion and walks in the darkness. When he has stolen, plundered, and robbed, he brings it to the woman he loves.
- - - 25 1Esd 4:25 25 καὶ πλεῖον ἀγαπᾷ ἄνθρωπος τὴν ἰδίαν γυναῖκα μᾶλλον ἢ τὸν πατέρα καὶ τὴν μητέρα 1Esd 4:25
Therefore a man loves his wife better than father or mother.
- - - 26 1Esd 4:26 26 καὶ πολλοὶ ἀπενοήθησαν ταῖς ἰδίαις διανοίαις διὰ τὰς γυναῖκας καὶ δοῦλοι ἐγένοντο δι’ αὐτάς 1Esd 4:26
Yes, there are many who have lost their minds for women, and become slaves for their sakes.
- - - 27 1Esd 4:27 27 καὶ πολλοὶ ἀπώλοντο καὶ ἐσφάλησαν καὶ ἡμάρτοσαν διὰ τὰς γυναῖκας 1Esd 4:27
Many also have perished, have stumbled, and sinned, for women.
- - - 28 1Esd 4:28 28 καὶ νῦν οὐ πιστεύετέ μοι οὐχὶ μέγας ὁ βασιλεὺς τῇ ἐξουσίᾳ αὐτοῦ οὐχὶ πᾶσαι αἱ χῶραι εὐλαβοῦνται ἅψασθαι αὐτοῦ 1Esd 4:28
Now don’t you believe me? Isn’t the king great in his power? Don’t all regions fear to touch him?
- - - 29 1Esd 4:29 29 ἐθεώρουν αὐτὸν καὶ Ἀπάμην τὴν θυγατέρα Βαρτάκου τοῦ θαυμαστοῦ τὴν παλλακὴν τοῦ βασιλέως καθημένην ἐν δεξιᾷ τοῦ βασιλέως 1Esd 4:29
Yet I saw him and Apame the king’s concubine, the daughter of the illustrious Barticus, sitting at the right hand of the king,
- - - 30 1Esd 4:30 30 καὶ ἀφαιροῦσαν τὸ διάδημα ἀπὸ τῆς κεφαλῆς τοῦ βασιλέως καὶ ἐπιτιθοῦσαν ἑαυτῇ καὶ ἐρράπιζεν τὸν βασιλέα τῇ ἀριστερᾷ 1Esd 4:30
and taking the crown from the king’s head, and setting it upon her own head. Yes, she struck the king with her left hand.
- - - 31 1Esd 4:31 31 καὶ πρὸς τούτοις ὁ βασιλεὺς χάσκων τὸ στόμα ἐθεώρει αὐτήν καὶ ἐὰν προσγελάσῃ αὐτῷ γελᾷ ἐὰν δὲ πικρανθῇ ἐπ’ αὐτόν κολακεύει αὐτήν ὅπως διαλλαγῇ αὐτῷ 1Esd 4:31
At this, the king gaped and gazed at her with open mouth. If she smiles at him, he laughs. But if she takes any displeasure at him, he flatters her, that she might be reconciled to him again.
- - - 32 1Esd 4:32 32 ὦ ἄνδρες πῶς οὐχὶ ἰσχυραὶ αἱ γυναῖκες ὅτι οὕτως πράσσουσιν 1Esd 4:32
O sirs, how can it not be that women are strong, seeing they do this?”
- - - 33 1Esd 4:33 33 καὶ τότε ὁ βασιλεὺς καὶ οἱ μεγιστᾶνες ἐνέβλεπον ἕτερος πρὸς τὸν ἕτερον 1Esd 4:33
¶Then the king and the nobles looked at one another. So he began to speak concerning truth.
- - - 34 1Esd 4:34 34 καὶ ἤρξατο λαλεῖν περὶ τῆς ἀληθείας ἄνδρες οὐχὶ ἰσχυραὶ αἱ γυναῖκες μεγάλη ἡ γῆ καὶ ὑψηλὸς ὁ οὐρανός καὶ ταχὺς τῷ δρόμῳ ὁ ἥλιος ὅτι στρέφεται ἐν τῷ κύκλῳ τοῦ οὐρανοῦ καὶ πάλιν ἀποτρέχει εἰς τὸν ἑαυτοῦ τόπον ἐν μιᾷ ἡμέρᾳ 1Esd 4:34
“O sirs, aren’t women strong? The earth is great. The sky is high. The sun is swift in its course, for it circles around the sky, and returns on its course again in one day.
- - - 35 1Esd 4:35 35 οὐχὶ μέγας ὃς ταῦτα ποιεῖ καὶ ἡ ἀλήθεια μεγάλη καὶ ἰσχυροτέρα παρὰ πάντα 1Esd 4:35
Isn’t he who makes these things great? Therefore the truth is great, and stronger than all things.
- - - 36 1Esd 4:36 36 πᾶσα ἡ γῆ τὴν ἀλήθειαν καλεῖ καὶ ὁ οὐρανὸς αὐτὴν εὐλογεῖ καὶ πάντα τὰ ἔργα σείεται καὶ τρέμει καὶ οὐκ ἔστιν μετ’ αὐτοῦ ἄδικον οὐθέν 1Esd 4:36
All the earth calls upon truth, and the sky blesses truth. All works shake and tremble, but with truth there is no unrighteous thing.
- - - 37 1Esd 4:37 37 ἄδικος ὁ οἶνος ἄδικος ὁ βασιλεύς ἄδικοι αἱ γυναῖκες ἄδικοι πάντες οἱ υἱοὶ τῶν ἀνθρώπων καὶ ἄδικα πάντα τὰ ἔργα αὐτῶν πάντα τὰ τοιαῦτα καὶ οὐκ ἔστιν ἐν αὐτοῖς ἀλήθεια καὶ ἐν τῇ ἀδικίᾳ αὐτῶν ἀπολοῦνται 1Esd 4:37
Wine is unrighteous. The king is unrighteous. Women are unrighteous. All the children of men are unrighteous, and all their works are unrighteous. There is no truth in them. They shall also perish in their unrighteousness.
- - - 38 1Esd 4:38 38 ἡ δὲ ἀλήθεια μένει καὶ ἰσχύει εἰς τὸν αἰῶνα καὶ ζῇ καὶ κρατεῖ εἰς τὸν αἰῶνα τοῦ αἰῶνος 1Esd 4:38
But truth remains, and is strong forever. Truth lives and conquers forevermore.
- - - 39 1Esd 4:39 39 καὶ οὐκ ἔστιν παρ’ αὐτῇ λαμβάνειν πρόσωπα οὐδὲ διάφορα ἀλλὰ τὰ δίκαια ποιεῖ ἀπὸ πάντων τῶν ἀδίκων καὶ πονηρῶν καὶ πάντες εὐδοκοῦσι τοῖς ἔργοις αὐτῆς καὶ οὐκ ἔστιν ἐν τῇ κρίσει αὐτῆς οὐθὲν ἄδικον 1Esd 4:39
With truth there is no partiality toward persons or rewards, but truth does the things that are just, instead of any unrighteous or wicked things. All men approve truth’s works.
- - - 40 1Esd 4:40 40 καὶ αὐτῇ ἡ ἰσχὺς καὶ τὸ βασίλειον καὶ ἡ ἐξουσία καὶ ἡ μεγαλειότης τῶν πάντων αἰώνων εὐλογητὸς ὁ θεὸς τῆς ἀληθείας 1Esd 4:40
In truth’s judgment is not any unrighteousness. Truth is the strength, the kingdom, the power, and the majesty of all ages. Blessed be the God of truth!”
- - - 41 1Esd 4:41 41 καὶ ἐσιώπησεν τοῦ λαλεῖν καὶ πᾶς ὁ λαὸς τότε ἐφώνησεν καὶ τότε εἶπον μεγάλη ἡ ἀλήθεια καὶ ὑπερισχύει 1Esd 4:41
¶With that, he stopped speaking. Then all the people shouted and said, “Great is truth, and strong above all things!”
- - - 42 1Esd 4:42 42 τότε ὁ βασιλεὺς εἶπεν αὐτῷ αἴτησαι ὃ θέλεις πλείω τῶν γεγραμμένων καὶ δώσομέν σοι ὃν τρόπον εὑρέθης σοφώτερος καὶ ἐχόμενός μου καθήσῃ καὶ συγγενής μου κληθήσῃ 1Esd 4:42
¶Then the king said to him, “Ask what you wish, even more than is appointed in writing, and we will give it to you, because you are found wisest. You shall sit next me, and shall be called my cousin.”
- - - 43 1Esd 4:43 43 τότε εἶπεν τῷ βασιλεῖ μνήσθητι τὴν εὐχήν ἣν ηὔξω οἰκοδομῆσαι τὴν Ιερουσαλημ ἐν τῇ ἡμέρᾳ ᾗ τὸ βασίλειόν σου παρέλαβες 1Esd 4:43
¶Then he said to the king, “Remember your vow, which you vowed to build Jerusalem, in the day when you came to your kingdom,
- - - 44 1Esd 4:44 44 καὶ πάντα τὰ σκεύη τὰ λημφθέντα ἐξ Ιερουσαλημ ἐκπέμψαι ἃ ἐξεχώρισεν Κῦρος ὅτε ηὔξατο ἐκκόψαι Βαβυλῶνα καὶ ηὔξατο ἐξαποστεῖλαι ἐκεῖ 1Esd 4:44
and to send back all the vessels that were taken out of Jerusalem, which Cyrus set apart when he vowed to destroy Babylon, and vowed to send them back there.
- - - 45 1Esd 4:45 45 καὶ σὺ εὔξω οἰκοδομῆσαι τὸν ναόν ὃν ἐνεπύρισαν οἱ Ιδουμαῖοι ὅτε ἠρημώθη ἡ Ιουδαία ὑπὸ τῶν Χαλδαίων 1Esd 4:45
You also vowed to build the temple which the Edomites burned when Judea was made desolate by the Chaldeans.
- - - 46 1Esd 4:46 46 καὶ νῦν τοῦτό ἐστιν ὅ σε ἀξιῶ κύριε βασιλεῦ καὶ ὃ αἰτοῦμαί σε καὶ αὕτη ἐστὶν ἡ μεγαλωσύνη ἡ παρὰ σοῦ δέομαι οὖν ἵνα ποιήσῃς τὴν εὐχήν ἣν ηὔξω τῷ βασιλεῖ τοῦ οὐρανοῦ ποιῆσαι ἐκ στόματός σου 1Esd 4:46
Now, O lord the king, this is what I request, and what I desire of you, and this is the princely generosity that may proceed from you: I ask therefore that you make good the vow, the performance of which you have vowed to the King of Heaven with your own mouth.”
- - - 47 1Esd 4:47 47 τότε ἀναστὰς Δαρεῖος ὁ βασιλεὺς κατεφίλησεν αὐτὸν καὶ ἔγραψεν αὐτῷ τὰς ἐπιστολὰς πρὸς πάντας τοὺς οἰκονόμους καὶ τοπάρχας καὶ στρατηγοὺς καὶ σατράπας ἵνα προπέμψωσιν αὐτὸν καὶ τοὺς μετ’ αὐτοῦ πάντας ἀναβαίνοντας οἰκοδομῆσαι τὴν Ιερουσαλημ 1Esd 4:47
¶Then King Darius stood up, kissed him, and wrote letters for him to all the treasurers and governors and captains and local governors, that they should safely bring on their way both him, and all those who would go up with him to build Jerusalem.
- - - 48 1Esd 4:48 48 καὶ πᾶσι τοῖς τοπάρχαις ἐν Κοίλῃ Συρίᾳ καὶ Φοινίκῃ καὶ τοῖς ἐν τῷ Λιβάνῳ ἔγραψεν ἐπιστολὰς μεταφέρειν ξύλα κέδρινα ἀπὸ τοῦ Λιβάνου εἰς Ιερουσαλημ καὶ ὅπως οἰκοδομήσωσιν μετ’ αὐτοῦ τὴν πόλιν 1Esd 4:48
He wrote letters also to all the governors who were in Coelesyria and Phoenicia, and to them in Libanus, that they should bring cedar wood from Libanus to Jerusalem, and that they should help him build the city.
- - - 49 1Esd 4:49 49 καὶ ἔγραψεν πᾶσι τοῖς Ιουδαίοις τοῖς ἀναβαίνουσιν ἀπὸ τῆς βασιλείας εἰς τὴν Ιουδαίαν ὑπὲρ τῆς ἐλευθερίας πάντα δυνατὸν καὶ σατράπην καὶ τοπάρχην καὶ οἰκονόμον μὴ ἐπελεύσεσθαι ἐπὶ τὰς θύρας αὐτῶν 1Esd 4:49
Moreover he wrote for all the Jews who would go out of his realm up into Judea concerning their freedom, that no officer, no governor, no local governor, nor treasurer, should forcibly enter into their doors,
- - - 50 1Esd 4:50 50 καὶ πᾶσαν τὴν χώραν ἣν κρατήσουσιν ἀφορολόγητον αὐτοῖς ὑπάρχειν καὶ ἵνα οἱ Ιδουμαῖοι ἀφιῶσι τὰς κώμας ἃς διακρατοῦσιν τῶν Ιουδαίων 1Esd 4:50
and that all the country which they occupied should be free to them without tribute, and that the Edomites should give up the villages of the Jews which they held at that time,
- - - 51 1Esd 4:51 51 καὶ εἰς τὴν οἰκοδομὴν τοῦ ἱεροῦ δοθῆναι κατ’ ἐνιαυτὸν τάλαντα εἴκοσι μέχρι τοῦ οἰκοδομηθῆναι 1Esd 4:51
and that there should be given twenty talents yearly toward the building of the temple, until the time that it was built,
- - - 52 1Esd 4:52 52 καὶ ἐπὶ τὸ θυσιαστήριον ὁλοκαυτώματα καρποῦσθαι καθ’ ἡμέραν καθὰ ἔχουσιν ἐντολὴν ἑπτακαίδεκα προσφέρειν ἄλλα τάλαντα δέκα κατ’ ἐνιαυτόν 1Esd 4:52
and another ten talents yearly for burnt offerings to be presented upon the altar every day, as they had a commandment to make seventeen offerings,
- - - 53 1Esd 4:53 53 καὶ πᾶσιν τοῖς προσβαίνουσιν ἀπὸ τῆς Βαβυλωνίας κτίσαι τὴν πόλιν ὑπάρχειν τὴν ἐλευθερίαν αὐτοῖς τε καὶ τοῖς τέκνοις αὐτῶν καὶ πᾶσι τοῖς ἱερεῦσι τοῖς προσβαίνουσιν 1Esd 4:53
and that all those who would come from Babylonia to build the city should have their freedom—they and their descendants, and all the priests that came.
- - - 54 1Esd 4:54 54 ἔγραψεν δὲ καὶ τὴν χορηγίαν καὶ τὴν ἱερατικὴν στολήν ἐν τίνι λατρεύουσιν ἐν αὐτῇ 1Esd 4:54
He wrote also to give them their support and the priests’ vestments in which they minister.
- - - 55 1Esd 4:55 55 καὶ τοῖς Λευίταις ἔγραψεν δοῦναι τὴν χορηγίαν ἕως ἧς ἡμέρας ἐπιτελεσθῇ ὁ οἶκος καὶ Ιερουσαλημ οἰκοδομηθῆναι 1Esd 4:55
For the Levites he wrote that their support should be given them until the day that the house was finished and Jerusalem built up.
- - - 56 1Esd 4:56 56 καὶ πᾶσι τοῖς φρουροῦσι τὴν πόλιν ἔγραψε δοῦναι αὐτοῖς κλήρους καὶ ὀψώνια 1Esd 4:56
He commanded that land and wages should be given to all who guarded the city.
- - - 57 1Esd 4:57 57 καὶ ἐξαπέστειλεν πάντα τὰ σκεύη ἃ ἐξεχώρισεν Κῦρος ἀπὸ Βαβυλῶνος καὶ πάντα ὅσα εἶπεν Κῦρος ποιῆσαι καὶ αὐτὸς ἐπέταξεν ποιῆσαι καὶ ἐξαποστεῖλαι εἰς Ιερουσαλημ 1Esd 4:57
He also sent away all the vessels from Babylon that Cyrus had set apart, and all that Cyrus had given in commandment, he commanded also to be done and to be sent to Jerusalem.
- - - 58 1Esd 4:58 58 καὶ ὅτε ἐξῆλθεν ὁ νεανίσκος ἄρας τὸ πρόσωπον εἰς τὸν οὐρανὸν ἐναντίον Ιερουσαλημ εὐλόγησεν τῷ βασιλεῖ τοῦ οὐρανοῦ λέγων 1Esd 4:58
¶Now when this young man had gone out, he lifted up his face to heaven toward Jerusalem, and praised the King of heaven,
- - - 59 1Esd 4:59 59 παρὰ σοῦ ἡ νίκη καὶ παρὰ σοῦ ἡ σοφία καὶ σὴ ἡ δόξα καὶ ἐγὼ σὸς οἰκέτης 1Esd 4:59
and said, “From you comes victory. From you comes wisdom. Yours is the glory, and I am your servant.
- - - 60 1Esd 4:60 60 εὐλογητὸς εἶ ὃς ἔδωκάς μοι σοφίαν καὶ σοὶ ὁμολογῶ δέσποτα τῶν πατέρων 1Esd 4:60
Blessed are you, who have given me wisdom. I give thanks to you, O Lord of our fathers.
- - - 61 1Esd 4:61 61 καὶ ἔλαβεν τὰς ἐπιστολὰς καὶ ἐξῆλθεν εἰς Βαβυλῶνα καὶ ἀπήγγειλεν τοῖς ἀδελφοῖς αὐτοῦ πᾶσιν 1Esd 4:61
So he took the letters, went out, came to Babylon, and told it all his kindred.
- - - 62 1Esd 4:62 62 καὶ εὐλόγησαν τὸν θεὸν τῶν πατέρων αὐτῶν ὅτι ἔδωκεν αὐτοῖς ἄνεσιν καὶ ἄφεσιν 1Esd 4:62
They praised the God of their ancestors, because he had given them freedom and liberty
- - - 63 1Esd 4:63 63 ἀναβῆναι καὶ οἰκοδομῆσαι Ιερουσαλημ καὶ τὸ ἱερόν οὗ ὠνομάσθη τὸ ὄνομα αὐτοῦ ἐπ’ αὐτῷ καὶ ἐκωθωνίζοντο μετὰ μουσικῶν καὶ χαρᾶς ἡμέρας ἑπτά 1Esd 4:63
to go up and to build Jerusalem and the temple which is called by his name. They feasted with instruments of music and gladness seven days.
- - -
Match Diacritics KEYMAP Wildcard