Ἔσδρας Αʹ 1 Esdras [1 Ezra]
CATSS LXX Wiki Latin Translation LXX / Vulgata Clementina Westminster Leningrad Codex Wiki Latin Translation HB / Vulgata Clementina 1 1Esd 6:1 1 ἐν δὲ τῷ δευτέρῳ ἔτει τῆς τοῦ Δαρείου βασιλείας ἐπροφήτευσεν Αγγαιος καὶ Ζαχαριας ὁ τοῦ Εδδι οἱ προφῆται ἐπὶ τοὺς Ιουδαίους τοὺς ἐν τῇ Ιουδαίᾳ καὶ Ιερουσαλημ ἐπὶ τῷ ὀνόματι κυρίου θεοῦ Ισραηλ ἐπ’ αὐτούς 1Esd 6:1
in the second year of the reign of Darius, Aggaeus and Zacharius the son of
Addo, the prophets, prophesied to the Jews in Judea and Jerusalem in the name of the Lord, the God of Israel.
- - - 2 1Esd 6:2 2 τότε στὰς Ζοροβαβελ ὁ τοῦ Σαλαθιηλ καὶ Ἰησοῦς ὁ τοῦ Ιωσεδεκ ἤρξαντο οἰκοδομεῖν τὸν οἶκον τοῦ κυρίου τὸν ἐν Ιερουσαλημ συνόντων τῶν προφητῶν τοῦ κυρίου βοηθούντων αὐτοῖς 1Esd 6:2
Then Zorobabel the son of Salathiel and Jesus the son of Josedek stood up and began to build the house of the Lord at Jerusalem, the prophets of the Lord being with them and helping them.
- - - 3 1Esd 6:3 3 ἐν αὐτῷ τῷ χρόνῳ παρῆν πρὸς αὐτοὺς Σισίννης ὁ ἔπαρχος Συρίας καὶ Φοινίκης καὶ Σαθραβουζάνης καὶ οἱ συνέταιροι καὶ εἶπαν αὐτοῖς 1Esd 6:3
At the same time
Sisinnes the governor of Syria and Phoenicia came to them, with
Sathrabuzanes and his companions, and said to them,
- - - 4 1Esd 6:4 4 τίνος ὑμῖν συντάξαντος τὸν οἶκον τοῦτον οἰκοδομεῖτε καὶ τὴν στέγην ταύτην καὶ τἄλλα πάντα ἐπιτελεῖτε καὶ τίνες εἰσὶν οἱ οἰκοδόμοι οἱ ταῦτα ἐπιτελοῦντες 1Esd 6:4
“By whose authority do you build this house and this roof, and perform all the other things? Who are the builders who do these things?”
- - - 5 1Esd 6:5 5 καὶ ἔσχοσαν χάριν ἐπισκοπῆς γενομένης ἐπὶ τὴν αἰχμαλωσίαν παρὰ τοῦ κυρίου οἱ πρεσβύτεροι τῶν Ιουδαίων 1Esd 6:5
Nevertheless, the elders of the Jews obtained favor, because the Lord had visited the captives;
- - - 6 1Esd 6:6 6 καὶ οὐκ ἐκωλύθησαν τῆς οἰκοδομῆς μέχρι τοῦ ὑποσημανθῆναι Δαρείῳ περὶ αὐτῶν καὶ προσφωνηθῆναι 1Esd 6:6
and they were not hindered from building until such time as communication was made to Darius concerning them, and his answer received.
- - - 7 1Esd 6:7 7 ἀντίγραφον ἐπιστολῆς ἧς ἔγραψεν Δαρείῳ καὶ ἀπέστειλεν Σισίννης ὁ ἔπαρχος Συρίας καὶ Φοινίκης καὶ Σαθραβουζάνης καὶ οἱ συνέταιροι οἱ ἐν Συρίᾳ καὶ Φοινίκῃ ἡγεμόνες 1Esd 6:7
¶A copy of the letter which Sisinnes, governor of Syria and Phoenicia, and Sathrabuzanes, with their companions, the rulers in Syria and Phoenicia, wrote and sent to Darius:
- - - 8 1Esd 6:8 8 βασιλεῖ Δαρείῳ χαίρειν πάντα γνωστὰ ἔστω τῷ κυρίῳ ἡμῶν τῷ βασιλεῖ ὅτι παραγενόμενοι εἰς τὴν χώραν τῆς Ιουδαίας καὶ ἐλθόντες εἰς Ιερουσαλημ τὴν πόλιν κατελάβομεν τῆς αἰχμαλωσίας τοὺς πρεσβυτέρους τῶν Ιουδαίων ἐν Ιερουσαλημ τῇ πόλει οἰκοδομοῦντας οἶκον τῷ κυρίῳ μέγαν καινὸν διὰ λίθων ξυστῶν πολυτελῶν ξύλων τιθεμένων ἐν τοῖς τοίχοις 1Esd 6:8
¶“To King Darius, greetings. Let it be fully known to our lord the king, that having come into the country of Judea, and entered into the city of Jerusalem, we found in the city of Jerusalem the elders of the Jews that were of the captivity
- - - 9 1Esd 6:9 9 καὶ τὰ ἔργα ἐκεῖνα ἐπὶ σπουδῆς γιγνόμενα καὶ εὐοδούμενον τὸ ἔργον ἐν ταῖς χερσὶν αὐτῶν καὶ ἐν πάσῃ δόξῃ καὶ ἐπιμελείᾳ συντελούμενα 1Esd 6:9
building a great new house for the Lord of hewn and costly stones, with timber laid in the walls.
- - - 10 1Esd 6:10 10 τότε ἐπυνθανόμεθα τῶν πρεσβυτέρων τούτων λέγοντες τίνος ὑμῖν προστάξαντος οἰκοδομεῖτε τὸν οἶκον τοῦτον καὶ τὰ ἔργα ταῦτα θεμελιοῦτε 1Esd 6:10
Those works are being done with great speed. The work goes on prosperously in their hands, and it is being accomplished with all glory and diligence.
- - - 11 1Esd 6:11 11 ἐπηρωτήσαμεν οὖν αὐτοὺς εἵνεκεν τοῦ γνωρίσαι σοι καὶ γράψαι σοι τοὺς ἀνθρώπους τοὺς ἀφηγουμένους καὶ τὴν ὀνοματογραφίαν ᾐτοῦμεν αὐτοὺς τῶν προκαθηγουμένων 1Esd 6:11
Then asked we these elders, saying, ‘By whose authority are you building this house and laying the foundations of these works?’
- - - 12 1Esd 6:12 12 οἱ δὲ ἀπεκρίθησαν ἡμῖν λέγοντες ἡμεῖς ἐσμεν παῖδες τοῦ κυρίου τοῦ κτίσαντος τὸν οὐρανὸν καὶ τὴν γῆν 1Esd 6:12
Therefore, to the intent that we might give knowledge to you by writing who were the leaders, we questioned them, and we required of them the names in writing of their principal men.
- - - 13 1Esd 6:13 13 καὶ ᾠκοδόμητο ὁ οἶκος ἔμπροσθεν ἐτῶν πλειόνων διὰ βασιλέως τοῦ Ισραηλ μεγάλου καὶ ἰσχυροῦ καὶ ἐπετελέσθη 1Esd 6:13
So they gave us this answer, ‘We are the servants of the Lord who made heaven and earth.
- - - 14 1Esd 6:14 14 καὶ ἐπεὶ οἱ πατέρες ἡμῶν παραπικράναντες ἥμαρτον εἰς τὸν κύριον τοῦ Ισραηλ τὸν οὐράνιον παρέδωκεν αὐτοὺς εἰς χεῖρας Ναβουχοδονοσορ βασιλέως Βαβυλῶνος βασιλέως τῶν Χαλδαίων 1Esd 6:14
As for this house, it was built many years ago by a great and strong king of Israel, and was finished.
- - - 15 1Esd 6:15 15 τόν τε οἶκον καθελόντες ἐνεπύρισαν καὶ τὸν λαὸν ᾐχμαλώτευσαν εἰς Βαβυλῶνα 1Esd 6:15
But when our fathers sinned against the Lord of Israel who is in heaven, and provoked him to wrath, he gave them over into the hands of King Nabuchodonosor of Babylon, king of the Chaldeans.
- - - 16 1Esd 6:16 16 ἐν δὲ τῷ πρώτῳ ἔτει βασιλεύοντος Κύρου χώρας Βαβυλωνίας ἔγραψεν ὁ βασιλεὺς Κῦρος οἰκοδομῆσαι τὸν οἶκον τοῦτον 1Esd 6:16
They pulled down the house, burned it, and carried away the people captive to Babylon.
- - - 17 1Esd 6:17 17 καὶ τὰ ἱερὰ σκεύη τὰ χρυσᾶ καὶ τὰ ἀργυρᾶ ἃ ἐξήνεγκεν Ναβουχοδονοσορ ἐκ τοῦ οἴκου τοῦ ἐν Ιερουσαλημ καὶ ἀπηρείσατο αὐτὰ ἐν τῷ ἑαυτοῦ ναῷ πάλιν ἐξήνεγκεν αὐτὰ Κῦρος ὁ βασιλεὺς ἐκ τοῦ ναοῦ τοῦ ἐν Βαβυλῶνι καὶ παρεδόθη Ζοροβαβελ καὶ Σαναβασσάρῳ τῷ ἐπάρχῳ 1Esd 6:17
But in the first year that Cyrus reigned over the country of Babylon, King Cyrus wrote that this house should be rebuilt.
- - - 18 1Esd 6:18 18 καὶ ἐπετάγη αὐτῷ ἀπενέγκαντι πάντα τὰ σκεύη ταῦτα ἀποθεῖναι ἐν τῷ ναῷ τῷ ἐν Ιερουσαλημ καὶ τὸν ναὸν τοῦ κυρίου τοῦτον οἰκοδομηθῆναι ἐπὶ τοῦ τόπου 1Esd 6:18
The holy vessels of gold and of silver that Nabuchodonosor had carried away out of the house at Jerusalem and had set up in his own temple, those King Cyrus brought out of the temple in Babylonia, and they were delivered to Zorobabel and to
Sanabassarus the governor,
- - - 19 1Esd 6:19 19 τότε ὁ Σαναβάσσαρος ἐκεῖνος παραγενόμενος ἐνεβάλετο τοὺς θεμελίους τοῦ οἴκου κυρίου τοῦ ἐν Ιερουσαλημ καὶ ἀπ’ ἐκείνου μέχρι τοῦ νῦν οἰκοδομούμενος οὐκ ἔλαβεν συντέλειαν 1Esd 6:19
with commandment that he should carry away all these vessels, and put them in the temple at Jerusalem, and that the Lord’s temple should be built on its site.
- - - 20 1Esd 6:20 20 νῦν οὖν εἰ κρίνεται βασιλεῦ ἐπισκεπήτω ἐν τοῖς βασιλικοῖς βιβλιοφυλακίοις τοῦ κυρίου βασιλέως τοῖς ἐν Βαβυλῶνι 1Esd 6:20
Then Sanabassarus, having come here, laid the foundations of the Lord’s house which is in Jerusalem. From that time to this we are still building. It is not yet fully completed.’
- - - 21 1Esd 6:21 21 καὶ ἐὰν εὑρίσκηται μετὰ τῆς γνώμης Κύρου τοῦ βασιλέως γενομένην τὴν οἰκοδομὴν τοῦ οἴκου κυρίου τοῦ ἐν Ιερουσαλημ καὶ κρίνηται τῷ κυρίῳ βασιλεῖ ἡμῶν προσφωνησάτω ἡμῖν περὶ τούτων 1Esd 6:21
Now therefore, if it seems good, O king, let a search be made among the royal archives of our lord the king that are in Babylon.
- - - 22 1Esd 6:22 22 τότε ὁ βασιλεὺς Δαρεῖος προσέταξεν ἐπισκέψασθαι ἐν τοῖς βασιλικοῖς βιβλιοφυλακίοις τοῖς κειμένοις ἐν Βαβυλῶνι καὶ εὑρέθη ἐν Ἐκβατάνοις τῇ βάρει τῇ ἐν Μηδίᾳ χώρᾳ τόμος εἷς ἐν ᾧ ὑπεμνημάτιστο τάδε 1Esd 6:22
If it is found that the building of the house of the Lord which is in Jerusalem has been done with the consent of King Cyrus, and it seems good to our lord the king, let him send us directions concerning these things.”
- - - 23 1Esd 6:23 23 ἔτους πρώτου βασιλεύοντος Κύρου βασιλεὺς Κῦρος προσέταξεν τὸν οἶκον τοῦ κυρίου τὸν ἐν Ιερουσαλημ οἰκοδομῆσαι ὅπου ἐπιθύουσιν διὰ πυρὸς ἐνδελεχοῦς 1Esd 6:23
Then King Darius commanded that a search be made among the archives that were laid up at Babylon. So at Ekbatana the palace, which is in the country of Media, a scroll was found where these things were recorded:
- - - 24 1Esd 6:24 24 οὗ τὸ ὕψος πήχεων ἑξήκοντα πλάτος πήχεων ἑξήκοντα διὰ δόμων λιθίνων ξυστῶν τριῶν καὶ δόμου ξυλίνου ἐγχωρίου καινοῦ ἑνός καὶ τὸ δαπάνημα δοθῆναι ἐκ τοῦ οἴκου Κύρου τοῦ βασιλέως 1Esd 6:24
“In the first year of the reign of Cyrus, King Cyrus commanded to build up the house of the Lord which is in Jerusalem, where they sacrifice with continual fire.
- - - 25 1Esd 6:25 25 καὶ τὰ ἱερὰ σκεύη τοῦ οἴκου κυρίου τά τε χρυσᾶ καὶ τὰ ἀργυρᾶ ἃ ἐξήνεγκεν Ναβουχοδονοσορ ἐκ τοῦ οἴκου τοῦ ἐν Ιερουσαλημ καὶ ἀπήνεγκεν εἰς Βαβυλῶνα ἀποκατασταθῆναι εἰς τὸν οἶκον τὸν ἐν Ιερουσαλημ οὗ ἦν κείμενα ὅπως τεθῇ ἐκεῖ 1Esd 6:25
Its height shall be sixty cubits, and the breadth sixty cubits, with three rows of hewn stones, and one row of new wood from that country. Its expenses are to be given out of the house of King Cyrus.
- - - 26 1Esd 6:26 26 προσέταξεν δὲ ἐπιμεληθῆναι Σισίννῃ ἐπάρχῳ Συρίας καὶ Φοινίκης καὶ Σαθραβουζάνῃ καὶ τοῖς συνεταίροις καὶ τοῖς ἀποτεταγμένοις ἐν Συρίᾳ καὶ Φοινίκῃ ἡγεμόσιν ἀπέχεσθαι τοῦ τόπου ἐᾶσαι δὲ τὸν παῖδα τοῦ κυρίου Ζοροβαβελ ἔπαρχον δὲ τῆς Ιουδαίας καὶ τοὺς πρεσβυτέρους τῶν Ιουδαίων τὸν οἶκον τοῦ κυρίου ἐκεῖνον οἰκοδομεῖν ἐπὶ τοῦ τόπου 1Esd 6:26
The holy vessels of the house of the Lord, both gold and silver, that Nabuchodonosor took out of the house at Jerusalem and carried away to Babylon, should be restored to the house at Jerusalem, and be set in the place where they were before.”
- - - 27 1Esd 6:27 27 κἀγὼ δὲ ἐπέταξα ὁλοσχερῶς οἰκοδομῆσαι καὶ ἀτενίσαι ἵνα συμποιῶσιν τοῖς ἐκ τῆς αἰχμαλωσίας τῆς Ιουδαίας μέχρι τοῦ ἐπιτελεσθῆναι τὸν οἶκον τοῦ κυρίου 1Esd 6:27
Also he commanded that Sisinnes the governor of Syria and Phoenicia, and Sathrabuzanes, and their companions, and those who were appointed rulers in Syria and Phoenicia, should be careful not to meddle with the place, but allow Zorobabel, the servant of the Lord, and governor of Judea, and the elders of the Jews, to build that house of the Lord in its place.
- - - 28 1Esd 6:28 28 καὶ ἀπὸ τῆς φορολογίας Κοίλης Συρίας καὶ Φοινίκης ἐπιμελῶς σύνταξιν δίδοσθαι τούτοις τοῖς ἀνθρώποις εἰς θυσίας τῷ κυρίῳ Ζοροβαβελ ἐπάρχῳ εἰς ταύρους καὶ κριοὺς καὶ ἄρνας 1Esd 6:28
“I also command to have it built up whole again; and that they look diligently to help those who are of the captivity of Judea, until the house of the Lord is finished,
- - - 29 1Esd 6:29 29 ὁμοίως δὲ καὶ πυρὸν καὶ ἅλα καὶ οἶνον καὶ ἔλαιον ἐνδελεχῶς κατ’ ἐνιαυτόν καθὼς ἂν οἱ ἱερεῖς οἱ ἐν Ιερουσαλημ ὑπαγορεύσωσιν ἀναλίσκεσθαι καθ’ ἡμέραν ἀναμφισβητήτως 1Esd 6:29
and that out of the tribute of Coelesyria and Phoenicia a portion shall be carefully given to these men for the sacrifices of the Lord, that is, to Zorobabel the governor for bulls, rams, and lambs,
- - - 30 1Esd 6:30 30 ὅπως προσφέρωνται σπονδαὶ τῷ θεῷ τῷ ὑψίστῳ ὑπὲρ τοῦ βασιλέως καὶ τῶν παίδων καὶ προσεύχωνται περὶ τῆς αὐτῶν ζωῆς 1Esd 6:30
and also corn, salt, wine and oil, and that continually every year without further question, according as the priests who are in Jerusalem may direct to be daily spent,
- - - 31 1Esd 6:31 31 καὶ προσέταξεν ἵνα ὅσοι ἐὰν παραβῶσίν τι τῶν προειρημένων καὶ τῶν προσγεγραμμένων ἢ καὶ ἀκυρώσωσιν λημφθῆναι ξύλον ἐκ τῶν ἰδίων αὐτοῦ καὶ ἐπὶ τούτου κρεμασθῆναι καὶ τὰ ὑπάρχοντα αὐτοῦ εἶναι βασιλικά 1Esd 6:31
that drink offerings may be made to the Most High God for the king and for his children, and that they may pray for their lives.”
- - - 32 1Esd 6:32 32 διὰ ταῦτα καὶ ὁ κύριος οὗ τὸ ὄνομα αὐτοῦ ἐπικέκληται ἐκεῖ ἀφανίσαι πάντα βασιλέα καὶ ἔθνος ὃς ἐκτενεῖ τὴν χεῖρα αὐτοῦ κωλῦσαι ἢ κακοποιῆσαι τὸν οἶκον τοῦ κυρίου ἐκεῖνον τὸν ἐν Ιερουσαλημ 1Esd 6:32
He commanded that whoever should transgress, yes, or neglect anything written here, a beam shall be taken out of his own house, and he shall be hanged on it, and all his goods seized for the king.
- - - 33 1Esd 6:33 33 ἐγὼ βασιλεὺς Δαρεῖος δεδογμάτικα ἐπιμελῶς κατὰ ταῦτα γίγνεσθαι 1Esd 6:33
“Therefore may the Lord, whose name is called upon there, utterly destroy every king and nation that stretches out his hand to hinder or damage that house of the Lord in Jerusalem.
- - -
Match Diacritics KEYMAP Wildcard