Μακκαβαίων Αʹ 1 Maccabees
CATSS LXX Wiki Latin Translation LXX / Vulgata Clementina Westminster Leningrad Codex Wiki Latin Translation HB / Vulgata Clementina 1 1Mc 1:1 1 καὶ ἐγένετο μετὰ τὸ πατάξαι Ἀλέξανδρον τὸν Φιλίππου Μακεδόνα ὃς ἐξῆλθεν ἐκ γῆς Χεττιιμ καὶ ἐπάταξεν τὸν Δαρεῖον βασιλέα Περσῶν καὶ Μήδων καὶ ἐβασίλευσεν ἀντ’ αὐτοῦ πρότερον ἐπὶ τὴν Ἑλλάδα 1Mc 1:1
¶After Alexander the Macedonian, the son of Philip, who came out of the land of Chittim, and struck Darius king of the Persians and Medes, it came to pass, after he had struck him, that he reigned in his place, in former time, over
- - - 2 1Mc 1:2 2 καὶ συνεστήσατο πολέμους πολλοὺς καὶ ἐκράτησεν ὀχυρωμάτων καὶ ἔσφαξεν βασιλεῖς τῆς γῆς 1Mc 1:2
He fought many battles, won many strongholds, killed the kings of the earth,
- - - 3 1Mc 1:3 3 καὶ διῆλθεν ἕως ἄκρων τῆς γῆς καὶ ἔλαβεν σκῦλα πλήθους ἐθνῶν καὶ ἡσύχασεν ἡ γῆ ἐνώπιον αὐτοῦ καὶ ὑψώθη καὶ ἐπήρθη ἡ καρδία αὐτοῦ 1Mc 1:3
went through to the ends of the earth, and took spoils of a multitude of nations. The earth was quiet before him. He was exalted. His heart was lifted up.
- - - 4 1Mc 1:4 4 καὶ συνῆξεν δύναμιν ἰσχυρὰν σφόδρα καὶ ἦρξεν χωρῶν ἐθνῶν καὶ τυράννων καὶ ἐγένοντο αὐτῷ εἰς φόρον 1Mc 1:4
He gathered together an exceedingly strong army and ruled over countries, nations, and principalities, and they paid him tribute.
- - - 5 1Mc 1:5 5 καὶ μετὰ ταῦτα ἔπεσεν ἐπὶ τὴν κοίτην καὶ ἔγνω ὅτι ἀποθνῄσκει 1Mc 1:5
¶After these things he fell sick, and perceived that he was going to die.
- - - 6 1Mc 1:6 6 καὶ ἐκάλεσεν τοὺς παῖδας αὐτοῦ τοὺς ἐνδόξους τοὺς συνεκτρόφους αὐτοῦ ἐκ νεότητος καὶ διεῖλεν αὐτοῖς τὴν βασιλείαν αὐτοῦ ἔτι αὐτοῦ ζῶντος 1Mc 1:6
He called his honorable servants, which had been brought up with him from his youth, and he divided to them his kingdom while he was still alive.
- - - 7 1Mc 1:7 7 καὶ ἐβασίλευσεν Ἀλέξανδρος ἔτη δώδεκα καὶ ἀπέθανεν 1Mc 1:7
Alexander reigned twelve years, then he died.
- - - 8 1Mc 1:8 8 καὶ ἐπεκράτησαν οἱ παῖδες αὐτοῦ ἕκαστος ἐν τῷ τόπῳ αὐτοῦ 1Mc 1:8
Then his servants ruled, each one in his place.
- - - 9 1Mc 1:9 9 καὶ ἐπέθεντο πάντες διαδήματα μετὰ τὸ ἀποθανεῖν αὐτὸν καὶ οἱ υἱοὶ αὐτῶν ὀπίσω αὐτῶν ἔτη πολλὰ καὶ ἐπλήθυναν κακὰ ἐν τῇ γῇ 1Mc 1:9
They all put crowns upon themselves after he was dead, and so did their sons after them many years; and they multiplied evils in the earth.
- - - 10 1Mc 1:10 10 καὶ ἐξῆλθεν ἐξ αὐτῶν ῥίζα ἁμαρτωλὸς Ἀντίοχος Ἐπιφανὴς υἱὸς Ἀντιόχου τοῦ βασιλέως ὃς ἦν ὅμηρα ἐν Ῥώμῃ καὶ ἐβασίλευσεν ἐν ἔτει ἑκατοστῷ καὶ τριακοστῷ καὶ ἑβδόμῳ βασιλείας Ἑλλήνων 1Mc 1:10
¶There came out of them a sinful root, Antiochus Epiphanes, son of Antiochus the king, who had been a hostage at Rome, and he reigned in
the one hundred thirty seventh year of the kingdom of the Greeks.
- - - 11 1Mc 1:11 11 ἐν ταῖς ἡμέραις ἐκείναις ἐξῆλθον ἐξ Ισραηλ υἱοὶ παράνομοι καὶ ἀνέπεισαν πολλοὺς λέγοντες πορευθῶμεν καὶ διαθώμεθα διαθήκην μετὰ τῶν ἐθνῶν τῶν κύκλῳ ἡμῶν ὅτι ἀφ’ ἧς ἐχωρίσθημεν ἀπ’ αὐτῶν εὗρεν ἡμᾶς κακὰ πολλά 1Mc 1:11
¶In those days transgressors of the law came out of Israel and persuaded many, saying, let’s go make a covenant with the
Gentiles around us; for since we were separated from them many evils have befallen us.
- - - 12 1Mc 1:12 12 καὶ ἠγαθύνθη ὁ λόγος ἐν ὀφθαλμοῖς αὐτῶν 1Mc 1:12
That proposal was good in their eyes.
- - - 13 1Mc 1:13 13 καὶ προεθυμήθησάν τινες ἀπὸ τοῦ λαοῦ καὶ ἐπορεύθησαν πρὸς τὸν βασιλέα καὶ ἔδωκεν αὐτοῖς ἐξουσίαν ποιῆσαι τὰ δικαιώματα τῶν ἐθνῶν 1Mc 1:13
Some of the people eagerly went to the king, and he authorized them to observe the ordinances of the
- - - 14 1Mc 1:14 14 καὶ ᾠκοδόμησαν γυμνάσιον ἐν Ιεροσολύμοις κατὰ τὰ νόμιμα τῶν ἐθνῶν 1Mc 1:14
they built a gymnasium in Jerusalem according to the laws of the
- - - 15 1Mc 1:15 15 καὶ ἐποίησαν ἑαυτοῖς ἀκροβυστίας καὶ ἀπέστησαν ἀπὸ διαθήκης ἁγίας καὶ ἐζευγίσθησαν τοῖς ἔθνεσιν καὶ ἐπράθησαν τοῦ ποιῆσαι τὸ πονηρόν 1Mc 1:15
They made themselves uncircumcised, forsook the holy covenant, joined themselves to the
Gentiles, and sold themselves to do evil.
- - - 16 1Mc 1:16 16 καὶ ἡτοιμάσθη ἡ βασιλεία ἐνώπιον Ἀντιόχου καὶ ὑπέλαβεν βασιλεῦσαι γῆς Αἰγύπτου ὅπως βασιλεύσῃ ἐπὶ τὰς δύο βασιλείας 1Mc 1:16
¶The kingdom was established in the sight of Antiochus, and he planned to reign over Egypt, that he might reign over both kingdoms.
- - - 17 1Mc 1:17 17 καὶ εἰσῆλθεν εἰς Αἴγυπτον ἐν ὄχλῳ βαρεῖ ἐν ἅρμασιν καὶ ἐλέφασιν καὶ ἐν ἱππεῦσιν καὶ ἐν στόλῳ μεγάλῳ 1Mc 1:17
He entered into Egypt with a
great multitude, with chariots, with elephants, with cavalry, and with a great
- - - 18 1Mc 1:18 18 καὶ συνεστήσατο πόλεμον πρὸς Πτολεμαῖον βασιλέα Αἰγύπτου καὶ ἐνετράπη Πτολεμαῖος ἀπὸ προσώπου αὐτοῦ καὶ ἔφυγεν καὶ ἔπεσον τραυματίαι πολλοί 1Mc 1:18
He made war against Ptolemy king of Egypt. Ptolemy was put to shame before him, and fled; and many fell wounded to death.
- - - 19 1Mc 1:19 19 καὶ κατελάβοντο τὰς πόλεις τὰς ὀχυρὰς ἐν γῇ Αἰγύπτῳ καὶ ἔλαβεν τὰ σκῦλα γῆς Αἰγύπτου 1Mc 1:19
They took possession of the strong cities in the land of Egypt, and he took the spoils of Egypt.
- - - 20 1Mc 1:20 20 καὶ ἐπέστρεψεν Ἀντίοχος μετὰ τὸ πατάξαι Αἴγυπτον ἐν τῷ ἑκατοστῷ καὶ τεσσαρακοστῷ καὶ τρίτῳ ἔτει καὶ ἀνέβη ἐπὶ Ισραηλ καὶ ἀνέβη εἰς Ιεροσόλυμα ἐν ὄχλῳ βαρεῖ 1Mc 1:20
¶Antiochus, after he had defeated Egypt, returned in
the one hundred forty third year, and went up against Israel and Jerusalem with a
- - - 21 1Mc 1:21 21 καὶ εἰσῆλθεν εἰς τὸ ἁγίασμα ἐν ὑπερηφανίᾳ καὶ ἔλαβεν τὸ θυσιαστήριον τὸ χρυσοῦν καὶ τὴν λυχνίαν τοῦ φωτὸς καὶ πάντα τὰ σκεύη αὐτῆς 1Mc 1:21
and entered presumptuously into the sanctuary, and took the golden altar, the lampstand for the light, and all its utensils.
- - - 22 1Mc 1:22 22 καὶ τὴν τράπεζαν τῆς προθέσεως καὶ τὰ σπονδεῖα καὶ τὰς φιάλας καὶ τὰς θυΐσκας τὰς χρυσᾶς καὶ τὸ καταπέτασμα καὶ τοὺς στεφάνους καὶ τὸν κόσμον τὸν χρυσοῦν τὸν κατὰ πρόσωπον τοῦ ναοῦ καὶ ἐλέπισεν πάντα 1Mc 1:22
He took the table of the show bread, the cups for the drink offerings, the bowls, the golden censers, the veil, the crowns, and the gold decoration on the front of the temple. He peeled it all off.
- - - 23 1Mc 1:23 23 καὶ ἔλαβεν τὸ ἀργύριον καὶ τὸ χρυσίον καὶ τὰ σκεύη τὰ ἐπιθυμητὰ καὶ ἔλαβεν τοὺς θησαυροὺς τοὺς ἀποκρύφους οὓς εὗρεν 1Mc 1:23
He took the silver, the gold, and the precious vessels. He took the hidden treasures which he found.
- - - 24 1Mc 1:24 24 καὶ λαβὼν πάντα ἀπῆλθεν εἰς τὴν γῆν αὐτοῦ καὶ ἐποίησεν φονοκτονίαν καὶ ἐλάλησεν ὑπερηφανίαν μεγάλην 1Mc 1:24
When he had taken all of these, he went away into his own land. He made a great slaughter, and spoke very arrogantly.
- - - 25 1Mc 1:25 25 καὶ ἐγένετο πένθος μέγα ἐπὶ Ισραηλ ἐν παντὶ τόπῳ αὐτῶν 1Mc 1:25
Great mourning came upon Israel, in every place where they were.
- - - 26 1Mc 1:26 26 καὶ ἐστέναξαν ἄρχοντες καὶ πρεσβύτεροι παρθένοι καὶ νεανίσκοι ἠσθένησαν καὶ τὸ κάλλος τῶν γυναικῶν ἠλλοιώθη 1Mc 1:26
The rulers and elders groaned. The virgins and young men were made feeble. The beauty of the women was changed.
- - - 27 1Mc 1:27 27 πᾶς νυμφίος ἀνέλαβεν θρῆνον καὶ καθημένη ἐν παστῷ ἐπένθει 1Mc 1:27
Every bridegroom took up lamentation. She who sat in the marriage chamber was mourning.
- - - 28 1Mc 1:28 28 καὶ ἐσείσθη ἡ γῆ ἐπὶ τοὺς κατοικοῦντας αὐτήν καὶ πᾶς ὁ οἶκος Ιακωβ ἐνεδύσατο αἰσχύνην 1Mc 1:28
The land was moved for its inhabitants, and all the house of Jacob was clothed with shame.
- - - 29 1Mc 1:29 29 μετὰ δύο ἔτη ἡμερῶν ἀπέστειλεν ὁ βασιλεὺς ἄρχοντα φορολογίας εἰς τὰς πόλεις Ιουδα καὶ ἦλθεν εἰς Ιερουσαλημ ἐν ὄχλῳ βαρεῖ 1Mc 1:29
After two full years, the king sent a chief collector of tribute to the cities of Judah, and he came to Jerusalem with a
- - - 30 1Mc 1:30 30 καὶ ἐλάλησεν αὐτοῖς λόγους εἰρηνικοὺς ἐν δόλῳ καὶ ἐνεπίστευσαν αὐτῷ καὶ ἐπέπεσεν ἐπὶ τὴν πόλιν ἐξάπινα καὶ ἐπάταξεν αὐτὴν πληγὴν μεγάλην καὶ ἀπώλεσεν λαὸν πολὺν ἐξ Ισραηλ 1Mc 1:30
He spoke words of peace to them in subtlety, and they believed him. Then he fell upon the city suddenly, struck it very severely, and destroyed many people of Israel.
- - - 31 1Mc 1:31 31 καὶ ἔλαβεν τὰ σκῦλα τῆς πόλεως καὶ ἐνέπρησεν αὐτὴν πυρὶ καὶ καθεῖλεν τοὺς οἴκους αὐτῆς καὶ τὰ τείχη κύκλῳ 1Mc 1:31
He took the spoils of the city, set it on fire, and pulled down its houses and its walls on every side.
- - - 32 1Mc 1:32 32 καὶ ᾐχμαλώτισαν τὰς γυναῖκας καὶ τὰ τέκνα καὶ τὰ κτήνη ἐκληρονόμησαν 1Mc 1:32
They led captive the women and the children, and seized the livestock.
- - - 33 1Mc 1:33 33 καὶ ᾠκοδόμησαν τὴν πόλιν Δαυιδ τείχει μεγάλῳ καὶ ὀχυρῷ πύργοις ὀχυροῖς καὶ ἐγένετο αὐτοῖς εἰς ἄκραν 1Mc 1:33
Then they fortified the city of David with a large, strong wall and with strong towers, and it became their citadel.
- - - 34 1Mc 1:34 34 καὶ ἔθηκαν ἐκεῖ ἔθνος ἁμαρτωλόν ἄνδρας παρανόμους καὶ ἐνίσχυσαν ἐν αὐτῇ 1Mc 1:34
They put a sinful nation, transgressors of the law, there, and they strengthened themselves in it.
- - - 35 1Mc 1:35 35 καὶ παρέθεντο ὅπλα καὶ τροφὴν καὶ συναγαγόντες τὰ σκῦλα Ιερουσαλημ ἀπέθεντο ἐκεῖ καὶ ἐγένοντο εἰς μεγάλην παγίδα 1Mc 1:35
They stored up weapons and food, and gathering together the spoils of Jerusalem, they stored them there, and they became a great menace.
- - - 36 1Mc 1:36 36 καὶ ἐγένετο εἰς ἔνεδρον τῷ ἁγιάσματι καὶ εἰς διάβολον πονηρὸν τῷ Ισραηλ διὰ παντός 1Mc 1:36
It became a place to lie in wait against the sanctuary, and an evil adversary to Israel continually.
- - - 37 1Mc 1:37 37 καὶ ἐξέχεαν αἷμα ἀθῷον κύκλῳ τοῦ ἁγιάσματος καὶ ἐμόλυναν τὸ ἁγίασμα 1Mc 1:37
They shed innocent blood on every side of the sanctuary, and defiled the sanctuary.
- - - 38 1Mc 1:38 38 καὶ ἔφυγον οἱ κάτοικοι Ιερουσαλημ δι’ αὐτούς καὶ ἐγένετο κατοικία ἀλλοτρίων καὶ ἐγένετο ἀλλοτρία τοῖς γενήμασιν αὐτῆς καὶ τὰ τέκνα αὐτῆς ἐγκατέλιπον αὐτήν 1Mc 1:38
The inhabitants of Jerusalem fled because of them. She became a habitation of foreigners. She became foreign to those who were born in her, and her children forsook her.
- - - 39 1Mc 1:39 39 τὸ ἁγίασμα αὐτῆς ἠρημώθη ὡς ἔρημος αἱ ἑορταὶ αὐτῆς ἐστράφησαν εἰς πένθος τὰ σάββατα αὐτῆς εἰς ὀνειδισμόν ἡ τιμὴ αὐτῆς εἰς ἐξουδένωσιν 1Mc 1:39
Her sanctuary was laid waste like a wilderness,
her feasts were turned into mourning, her Sabbaths into reproach, and her honor into contempt.
- - - 40 1Mc 1:40 40 κατὰ τὴν δόξαν αὐτῆς ἐπληθύνθη ἡ ἀτιμία αὐτῆς καὶ τὸ ὕψος αὐτῆς ἐστράφη εἰς πένθος 1Mc 1:40
According to her glory, so was her dishonor multiplied, and her exaltation was turned into mourning.
- - - 41 1Mc 1:41 41 καὶ ἔγραψεν ὁ βασιλεὺς πάσῃ τῇ βασιλείᾳ αὐτοῦ εἶναι πάντας εἰς λαὸν ἕνα 1Mc 1:41
¶King Antiochus wrote to his whole kingdom that all should be one people,
- - - 42 1Mc 1:42 42 καὶ ἐγκαταλιπεῖν ἕκαστον τὰ νόμιμα αὐτοῦ καὶ ἐπεδέξαντο πάντα τὰ ἔθνη κατὰ τὸν λόγον τοῦ βασιλέως 1Mc 1:42
and that each should forsake his own laws. All the nations agreed according to the word of the king.
- - - 43 1Mc 1:43 43 καὶ πολλοὶ ἀπὸ Ισραηλ εὐδόκησαν τῇ λατρείᾳ αὐτοῦ καὶ ἔθυσαν τοῖς εἰδώλοις καὶ ἐβεβήλωσαν τὸ σάββατον 1Mc 1:43
Many of Israel consented to his worship, sacrificed to the idols, and profaned the Sabbath.
- - - 44 1Mc 1:44 44 καὶ ἀπέστειλεν ὁ βασιλεὺς βιβλία ἐν χειρὶ ἀγγέλων εἰς Ιερουσαλημ καὶ τὰς πόλεις Ιουδα πορευθῆναι ὀπίσω νομίμων ἀλλοτρίων τῆς γῆς 1Mc 1:44
The king sent letters by the hand of messengers to Jerusalem and the cities of Judah, that they should follow laws strange to the land,
- - - 45 1Mc 1:45 45 καὶ κωλῦσαι ὁλοκαυτώματα καὶ θυσίαν καὶ σπονδὴν ἐκ τοῦ ἁγιάσματος καὶ βεβηλῶσαι σάββατα καὶ ἑορτὰς 1Mc 1:45
and should forbid whole burnt offerings and sacrifice and drink offerings in the sanctuary; and should profane the Sabbaths and feasts,
- - - 46 1Mc 1:46 46 καὶ μιᾶναι ἁγίασμα καὶ ἁγίους 1Mc 1:46
and pollute the sanctuary and those who were holy;
- - - 47 1Mc 1:47 47 οἰκοδομῆσαι βωμοὺς καὶ τεμένη καὶ εἰδώλια καὶ θύειν ὕεια καὶ κτήνη κοινὰ 1Mc 1:47
that they should build altars, and temples, and shrines for idols, and should sacrifice swine’s flesh and unclean animals;
- - - 48 1Mc 1:48 48 καὶ ἀφιέναι τοὺς υἱοὺς αὐτῶν ἀπεριτμήτους βδελύξαι τὰς ψυχὰς αὐτῶν ἐν παντὶ ἀκαθάρτῳ καὶ βεβηλώσει 1Mc 1:48
and that they should leave their sons uncircumcised, that they should make their souls abominable with all manner of uncleanness and profanation;
- - - 49 1Mc 1:49 49 ὥστε ἐπιλαθέσθαι τοῦ νόμου καὶ ἀλλάξαι πάντα τὰ δικαιώματα 1Mc 1:49
so that they might forget the law, and change all the ordinances.
- - - 50 1Mc 1:50 50 καὶ ὃς ἂν μὴ ποιήσῃ κατὰ τὸν λόγον τοῦ βασιλέως ἀποθανεῖται 1Mc 1:50
Whoever doesn’t do according to the word of the king, he shall die.
- - - 51 1Mc 1:51 51 κατὰ πάντας τοὺς λόγους τούτους ἔγραψεν πάσῃ τῇ βασιλείᾳ αὐτοῦ καὶ ἐποίησεν ἐπισκόπους ἐπὶ πάντα τὸν λαὸν καὶ ἐνετείλατο ταῖς πόλεσιν Ιουδα θυσιάζειν κατὰ πόλιν καὶ πόλιν 1Mc 1:51
According to all these words wrote he to his whole kingdom. He appointed overseers over all the people, and he commanded the cities of Judah to sacrifice, city by city.
- - - 52 1Mc 1:52 52 καὶ συνηθροίσθησαν ἀπὸ τοῦ λαοῦ πολλοὶ πρὸς αὐτούς πᾶς ὁ ἐγκαταλείπων τὸν νόμον καὶ ἐποίησαν κακὰ ἐν τῇ γῇ 1Mc 1:52
From the people were gathered together to them many, everyone who had forsaken the law; and they did evil things in the land.
- - - 53 1Mc 1:53 53 καὶ ἔθεντο τὸν Ισραηλ ἐν κρύφοις ἐν παντὶ φυγαδευτηρίῳ αὐτῶν 1Mc 1:53
They made Israel to hide themselves in every place of refuge which they had.
- - - 54 1Mc 1:54 54 καὶ τῇ πεντεκαιδεκάτῃ ἡμέρᾳ Χασελευ τῷ πέμπτῳ καὶ τεσσαρακοστῷ καὶ ἑκατοστῷ ἔτει ᾠκοδόμησεν βδέλυγμα ἐρημώσεως ἐπὶ τὸ θυσιαστήριον καὶ ἐν πόλεσιν Ιουδα κύκλῳ ᾠκοδόμησαν βωμούς 1Mc 1:54
¶On the fifteenth day of Chislev, in
the one hundred forty fifth year, they built an abomination of desolation upon the altar,
and in the cities of Judah on every side they built idol altars.
* - - - 55 1Mc 1:55 55 καὶ ἐπὶ τῶν θυρῶν τῶν οἰκιῶν καὶ ἐν ταῖς πλατείαις ἐθυμίων 1Mc 1:55
At the doors of the houses and in the streets they burned incense.
- - - 56 1Mc 1:56 56 καὶ τὰ βιβλία τοῦ νόμου ἃ εὗρον ἐνεπύρισαν ἐν πυρὶ κατασχίσαντες 1Mc 1:56
They tore the books of the law which they found in pieces and set them on fire.
- - - 57 1Mc 1:57 57 καὶ ὅπου εὑρίσκετο παρά τινι βιβλίον διαθήκης καὶ εἴ τις συνευδόκει τῷ νόμῳ τὸ σύγκριμα τοῦ βασιλέως ἐθανάτου αὐτόν 1Mc 1:57
Anyone who was found with any a book of the covenant, and if any consented to the law, the king’s sentence delivered him to death.
- - - 58 1Mc 1:58 58 ἐν ἰσχύι αὐτῶν ἐποίουν τῷ Ισραηλ τοῖς εὑρισκομένοις ἐν παντὶ μηνὶ καὶ μηνὶ ἐν ταῖς πόλεσιν 1Mc 1:58
Thus did they in their might to Israel, to those who were found month by month in the cities.
- - - 59 1Mc 1:59 59 καὶ τῇ πέμπτῃ καὶ εἰκάδι τοῦ μηνὸς θυσιάζοντες ἐπὶ τὸν βωμόν ὃς ἦν ἐπὶ τοῦ θυσιαστηρίου 1Mc 1:59
On the twenty-fifth day of the month they sacrificed upon the idol altar that was on top of the altar of burnt offering.
- - - 60 1Mc 1:60 60 καὶ τὰς γυναῖκας τὰς περιτετμηκυίας τὰ τέκνα αὐτῶν ἐθανάτωσαν κατὰ τὸ πρόσταγμα 1Mc 1:60 *
They put to death women who had circumcised their children, according to the commandment.
- - - 61 1Mc 1:61 61 καὶ ἐκρέμασαν τὰ βρέφη ἐκ τῶν τραχήλων αὐτῶν καὶ τοὺς οἴκους αὐτῶν καὶ τοὺς περιτετμηκότας αὐτούς 1Mc 1:61
They hung their babies around their necks, and their houses, and those who had circumcised them.
- - - 62 1Mc 1:62 62 καὶ πολλοὶ ἐν Ισραηλ ἐκραταιώθησαν καὶ ὠχυρώθησαν ἐν αὑτοῖς τοῦ μὴ φαγεῖν κοινὰ 1Mc 1:62
Many in Israel were fully resolved and confirmed in themselves not to eat unclean things.
- - - 63 1Mc 1:63 63 καὶ ἐπεδέξαντο ἀποθανεῖν ἵνα μὴ μιανθῶσιν τοῖς βρώμασιν καὶ μὴ βεβηλώσωσιν διαθήκην ἁγίαν καὶ ἀπέθανον 1Mc 1:63 *
They chose to die, that they might not be defiled with the food, and that they might not profane the holy covenant; and they died.
- - - 64 1Mc 1:64 64 καὶ ἐγένετο ὀργὴ μεγάλη ἐπὶ Ισραηλ σφόδρα 1Mc 1:64
Exceedingly great wrath came upon Israel.
- - -
Match Diacritics KEYMAP Wildcard