Μακκαβαίων Αʹ 1 Maccabees
CATSS LXX Wiki Latin Translation LXX / Vulgata Clementina Westminster Leningrad Codex Wiki Latin Translation HB / Vulgata Clementina 1 1Mc 10:1 1 καὶ ἐν ἔτει ἑξηκοστῷ καὶ ἑκατοστῷ ἀνέβη Ἀλέξανδρος ὁ τοῦ Ἀντιόχου ὁ Ἐπιφανὴς καὶ κατελάβετο Πτολεμαίδα καὶ ἐπεδέξαντο αὐτόν καὶ ἐβασίλευσεν ἐκεῖ 1Mc 10:1
¶In the one hundred sixtieth year,
Alexander Epiphanes, the son of Antiochus, went up and took possession of Ptolemais. They received him, and he reigned there.
- - - 2 1Mc 10:2 2 καὶ ἤκουσεν Δημήτριος ὁ βασιλεὺς καὶ συνήγαγεν δυνάμεις πολλὰς σφόδρα καὶ ἐξῆλθεν εἰς συνάντησιν αὐτῷ εἰς πόλεμον 1Mc 10:2
King Demetrius heard about this, and he gathered together exceedingly great forces, and went out to meet him in battle.
- - - 3 1Mc 10:3 3 καὶ ἀπέστειλεν Δημήτριος πρὸς Ιωναθαν ἐπιστολὰς λόγοις εἰρηνικοῖς ὥστε μεγαλῦναι αὐτόν 1Mc 10:3
¶Demetrius sent a letter to Jonathan with words of peace, so as to honor him.
- - - 4 1Mc 10:4 4 εἶπεν γάρ προφθάσωμεν τοῦ εἰρήνην θεῖναι μετ’ αὐτῶν πρὶν ἢ θεῖναι αὐτὸν μετὰ Ἀλεξάνδρου καθ’ ἡμῶν 1Mc 10:4
For he said, “Let’s go beforehand to make peace with them, before he makes peace with Alexander against us;
- - - 5 1Mc 10:5 5 μνησθήσεται γὰρ πάντων τῶν κακῶν ὧν συνετελέσαμεν πρὸς αὐτὸν καὶ εἰς τοὺς ἀδελφοὺς αὐτοῦ καὶ εἰς τὸ ἔθνος 1Mc 10:5
for he will remember all the evils that we have done against him, and to his kindred and to his nation.”
- - - 6 1Mc 10:6 6 καὶ ἔδωκεν αὐτῷ ἐξουσίαν συναγαγεῖν δυνάμεις καὶ κατασκευάζειν ὅπλα καὶ εἶναι αὐτὸν σύμμαχον αὐτοῦ καὶ τὰ ὅμηρα τὰ ἐν τῇ ἄκρᾳ εἶπεν παραδοῦναι αὐτῷ 1Mc 10:6
So he gave him authority to gather together forces, and to provide weapons, and that he should be his ally. He also commanded that they should release the hostages that were in the citadel to him. So he gave him authority to gather together forces, and to provide
weapons, and that he should be his ally. He also commanded that they
should release the hostages that were in the citadel to him.
- - - 7 1Mc 10:7 7 καὶ ἦλθεν Ιωναθαν εἰς Ιερουσαλημ καὶ ἀνέγνω τὰς ἐπιστολὰς εἰς τὰ ὦτα παντὸς τοῦ λαοῦ καὶ τῶν ἐκ τῆς ἄκρας 1Mc 10:7
¶Jonathan came to Jerusalem, and read the letter in the hearing of all the people, and of those who were in the citadel.
- - - 8 1Mc 10:8 8 καὶ ἐφοβήθησαν φόβον μέγαν ὅτε ἤκουσαν ὅτι ἔδωκεν αὐτῷ ὁ βασιλεὺς ἐξουσίαν συναγαγεῖν δύναμιν 1Mc 10:8
They were very afraid when they heard that the king had given him authority to gather together an army.
- - - 9 1Mc 10:9 9 καὶ παρέδωκαν οἱ ἐκ τῆς ἄκρας Ιωναθαν τὰ ὅμηρα καὶ ἀπέδωκεν αὐτοὺς τοῖς γονεῦσιν αὐτῶν 1Mc 10:9
Those in the citadel released the hostages to Jonathan, and he restored them to their parents.
- - - 10 1Mc 10:10 10 καὶ ᾤκησεν Ιωναθαν ἐν Ιερουσαλημ καὶ ἤρξατο οἰκοδομεῖν καὶ καινίζειν τὴν πόλιν 1Mc 10:10
¶Jonathan lived in Jerusalem and began to build and renew the city.
- - - 11 1Mc 10:11 11 καὶ εἶπεν πρὸς τοὺς ποιοῦντας τὰ ἔργα οἰκοδομεῖν τὰ τείχη καὶ τὸ ὄρος Σιων κυκλόθεν ἐκ λίθων τετραπόδων εἰς ὀχύρωσιν καὶ ἐποίησαν οὕτως 1Mc 10:11
He commanded those who did the work to build the walls and encircle Mount Zion with
square stones for defense; and they did so.
- - - 12 1Mc 10:12 12 καὶ ἔφυγον οἱ ἀλλογενεῖς οἱ ὄντες ἐν τοῖς ὀχυρώμασιν οἷς ᾠκοδόμησεν Βακχίδης 1Mc 10:12
The foreigners who were in the strongholds which Bacchides had built fled away.
- - - 13 1Mc 10:13 13 καὶ κατέλιπεν ἕκαστος τὸν τόπον αὐτοῦ καὶ ἀπῆλθεν εἰς τὴν γῆν αὐτοῦ 1Mc 10:13
Each man left his place and departed into his own land.
- - - 14 1Mc 10:14 14 πλὴν ἐν Βαιθσουροις ὑπελείφθησάν τινες τῶν καταλιπόντων τὸν νόμον καὶ τὰ προστάγματα ἦν γὰρ εἰς φυγαδευτήριον 1Mc 10:14
Only at Bethsura, there were left some of those who had forsaken the law and the commandments, for it was a place of refuge to them.
- - - 15 1Mc 10:15 15 καὶ ἤκουσεν Ἀλέξανδρος ὁ βασιλεὺς τὰς ἐπαγγελίας ὅσας ἀπέστειλεν Δημήτριος τῷ Ιωναθαν καὶ διηγήσαντο αὐτῷ τοὺς πολέμους καὶ τὰς ἀνδραγαθίας ἃς ἐποίησεν αὐτὸς καὶ οἱ ἀδελφοὶ αὐτοῦ καὶ τοὺς κόπους οὓς ἔσχον 1Mc 10:15
¶King Alexander heard all the promises which Demetrius had sent to Jonathan. They told him of the battles and the valiant deeds which he and his kindred had done, and of the troubles which they had endured.
- - - 16 1Mc 10:16 16 καὶ εἶπεν μὴ εὑρήσομεν ἄνδρα τοιοῦτον ἕνα καὶ νῦν ποιήσομεν αὐτὸν φίλον καὶ σύμμαχον ἡμῶν 1Mc 10:16
So he said, “Could we find another man like him? Now we will make him our
friend and ally.”
- - - 17 1Mc 10:17 17 καὶ ἔγραψεν ἐπιστολὰς καὶ ἀπέστειλεν αὐτῷ κατὰ τοὺς λόγους τούτους λέγων 1Mc 10:17
He wrote a letter and sent it to him, in these words, saying,
- - - 18 1Mc 10:18 18 βασιλεὺς Ἀλέξανδρος τῷ ἀδελφῷ Ιωναθαν χαίρειν 1Mc 10:18
“King Alexander to his brother Jonathan, greetings.
- - - 19 1Mc 10:19 19 ἀκηκόαμεν περὶ σοῦ ὅτι ἀνὴρ δυνατὸς ἰσχύι καὶ ἐπιτήδειος εἶ τοῦ εἶναι ἡμῶν φίλος 1Mc 10:19
We have heard of you, that you are a mighty man of valour, and worthy to be our
- - - 20 1Mc 10:20 20 καὶ νῦν καθεστάκαμέν σε σήμερον ἀρχιερέα τοῦ ἔθνους σου καὶ φίλον βασιλέως καλεῖσθαί σε καὶ ἀπέστειλεν αὐτῷ πορφύραν καὶ στέφανον χρυσοῦν καὶ φρονεῖν τὰ ἡμῶν καὶ συντηρεῖν φιλίας πρὸς ἡμᾶς 1Mc 10:20
Now we have appointed you this day to be high priest of your nation, and to be called the king’s
friend, and to take our side, and to keep friendship with us.” He also sent to him a purple robe and a golden crown.
- - - 21 1Mc 10:21 21 καὶ ἐνεδύσατο Ιωναθαν τὴν ἁγίαν στολὴν τῷ ἑβδόμῳ μηνὶ ἔτους ἑξηκοστοῦ καὶ ἑκατοστοῦ ἐν ἑορτῇ σκηνοπηγίας καὶ συνήγαγεν δυνάμεις καὶ κατεσκεύασεν ὅπλα πολλά 1Mc 10:21
¶And Jonathan put on the holy garments in the seventh month of the one hundred sixtieth year, at the feast of tabernacles; and he gathered together forces and provided weapons in abundance. * And Jonathan put on the holy garments in the seventh month of †the
one hundred sixtieth year, at the feast of tabernacles, and he gathered
together forces, and provided arms in abundance.
- - - 22 1Mc 10:22 22 καὶ ἤκουσεν Δημήτριος τοὺς λόγους τούτους καὶ ἐλυπήθη καὶ εἶπεν 1Mc 10:22
¶When Demetrius heard these things, he was grieved and said,
- - - 23 1Mc 10:23 23 τί τοῦτο ἐποιήσαμεν ὅτι προέφθακεν ἡμᾶς Ἀλέξανδρος τοῦ φιλίαν καταλαβέσθαι τοῖς Ιουδαίοις εἰς στήριγμα 1Mc 10:23
“What is this that we have done, that Alexander has gotten ahead of us in establishing friendship with the Jews to strengthen himself?
- - - 24 1Mc 10:24 24 γράψω αὐτοῖς κἀγὼ λόγους παρακλήσεως καὶ ὕψους καὶ δομάτων ὅπως ὦσιν σὺν ἐμοὶ εἰς βοήθειαν 1Mc 10:24
I also will write to them words of encouragement and of honor and of gifts, that they may be with me to aid me.”
- - - 25 1Mc 10:25 25 καὶ ἀπέστειλεν αὐτοῖς κατὰ τοὺς λόγους τούτους βασιλεὺς Δημήτριος τῷ ἔθνει τῶν Ιουδαίων χαίρειν 1Mc 10:25
So he sent to them this message: ¶“King Demetrius to the nation of the Jews, greetings.
- - - 26 1Mc 10:26 26 ἐπεὶ συνετηρήσατε τὰς πρὸς ἡμᾶς συνθήκας καὶ ἐνεμείνατε τῇ φιλίᾳ ἡμῶν καὶ οὐ προσεχωρήσατε τοῖς ἐχθροῖς ἡμῶν ἠκούσαμεν καὶ ἐχάρημεν 1Mc 10:26
Since as you have kept your covenants with us, and continued in our friendship, and have not joined yourselves to our enemies, we have heard of this, and are glad.
- - - 27 1Mc 10:27 27 καὶ νῦν ἐμμείνατε ἔτι τοῦ συντηρῆσαι πρὸς ἡμᾶς πίστιν καὶ ἀνταποδώσομεν ὑμῖν ἀγαθὰ ἀνθ’ ὧν ποιεῖτε μεθ’ ἡμῶν 1Mc 10:27
Now continue still to keep faith with us, and we will repay you with good in return for your dealings with us.
- - - 28 1Mc 10:28 28 καὶ ἀφήσομεν ὑμῖν ἀφέματα πολλὰ καὶ δώσομεν ὑμῖν δόματα 1Mc 10:28
We will grant you many immunities and give you gifts.
- - - 29 1Mc 10:29 29 καὶ νῦν ἀπολύω ὑμᾶς καὶ ἀφίημι πάντας τοὺς Ιουδαίους ἀπὸ τῶν φόρων καὶ τῆς τιμῆς τοῦ ἁλὸς καὶ ἀπὸ τῶν στεφάνων 1Mc 10:29
¶“Now I free you and release all the Jews from the tributes, from the salt tax, and from the crown levies.
- - - 30 1Mc 10:30 30 καὶ ἀντὶ τοῦ τρίτου τῆς σπορᾶς καὶ ἀντὶ τοῦ ἡμίσους τοῦ καρποῦ τοῦ ξυλίνου τοῦ ἐπιβάλλοντός μοι λαβεῖν ἀφίημι ἀπὸ τῆς σήμερον καὶ ἐπέκεινα τοῦ λαβεῖν ἀπὸ γῆς Ιουδα καὶ ἀπὸ τῶν τριῶν νομῶν τῶν προστιθεμένων αὐτῇ ἀπὸ τῆς Σαμαρίτιδος καὶ Γαλιλαίας ἀπὸ τῆς σήμερον ἡμέρας καὶ εἰς τὸν ἅπαντα χρόνον 1Mc 10:30
Instead of the third part of the seed, and instead of half of the fruit of the trees, which falls to me to receive, I release it from this day and henceforth, so that I will not take it from the land of Judah, and from the three districts which are added to it from the country of Samaria and Galilee, from this day forth and for all time.
- - - 31 1Mc 10:31 31 καὶ Ιερουσαλημ ἔστω ἁγία καὶ ἀφειμένη καὶ τὰ ὅρια αὐτῆς αἱ δεκάται καὶ τὰ τέλη 1Mc 10:31
Let Jerusalem be holy and free, with her borders, tithes, and taxes.
- - - 32 1Mc 10:32 32 ἀφίημι καὶ τὴν ἐξουσίαν τῆς ἄκρας τῆς ἐν Ιερουσαλημ καὶ δίδωμι τῷ ἀρχιερεῖ ὅπως ἂν καταστήσῃ ἐν αὐτῇ ἄνδρας οὓς ἂν αὐτὸς ἐκλέξηται τοῦ φυλάσσειν αὐτήν 1Mc 10:32
I yield up also my authority over the citadel which is at Jerusalem, and give it to the high priest, that he may appoint in it men whom he chooses to keep it.
- - - 33 1Mc 10:33 33 καὶ πᾶσαν ψυχὴν Ιουδαίων τὴν αἰχμαλωτισθεῖσαν ἀπὸ γῆς Ιουδα εἰς πᾶσαν βασιλείαν μου ἀφίημι ἐλευθέραν δωρεάν καὶ πάντες ἀφιέτωσαν τοὺς φόρους καὶ τῶν κτηνῶν αὐτῶν 1Mc 10:33
Every soul of the Jews who has been carried captive from the land of Judah into any part of my kingdom, I set at liberty without payment. Let all officials also cancel the taxes on their livestock.
- - - 34 1Mc 10:34 34 καὶ πᾶσαι αἱ ἑορταὶ καὶ τὰ σάββατα καὶ νουμηνίαι καὶ ἡμέραι ἀποδεδειγμέναι καὶ τρεῖς ἡμέραι πρὸ ἑορτῆς καὶ τρεῖς μετὰ ἑορτὴν ἔστωσαν πᾶσαι ἡμέραι ἀτελείας καὶ ἀφέσεως πᾶσιν τοῖς Ιουδαίοις τοῖς οὖσιν ἐν τῇ βασιλείᾳ μου 1Mc 10:34
¶“All the feasts, the Sabbaths, new moons, appointed days, three days before a feast, and three days after a feast, let them all be days of immunity and release for all the Jews who are in my kingdom.
- - - 35 1Mc 10:35 35 καὶ οὐχ ἕξει ἐξουσίαν οὐδεὶς πράσσειν καὶ παρενοχλεῖν τινα αὐτῶν περὶ παντὸς πράγματος 1Mc 10:35
No man shall have authority to exact anything from any of them, or to trouble them concerning any matter.
- - - 36 1Mc 10:36 36 καὶ προγραφήτωσαν τῶν Ιουδαίων εἰς τὰς δυνάμεις τοῦ βασιλέως εἰς τριάκοντα χιλιάδας ἀνδρῶν καὶ δοθήσεται αὐτοῖς ξένια ὡς καθήκει πάσαις ταῖς δυνάμεσιν τοῦ βασιλέως 1Mc 10:36
¶“Let there be enrolled among the king’s forces about thirty thousand men of the Jews, and pay shall be given to them, as is due to all the king’s forces.
- - - 37 1Mc 10:37 37 καὶ κατασταθήσεται ἐξ αὐτῶν ἐν τοῖς ὀχυρώμασιν τοῦ βασιλέως τοῖς μεγάλοις καὶ ἐκ τούτων κατασταθήσονται ἐπὶ χρειῶν τῆς βασιλείας τῶν οὐσῶν εἰς πίστιν καὶ οἱ ἐπ’ αὐτῶν καὶ οἱ ἄρχοντες ἔστωσαν ἐξ αὐτῶν καὶ πορευέσθωσαν τοῖς νόμοις αὐτῶν καθὰ καὶ προσέταξεν ὁ βασιλεὺς ἐν γῇ Ιουδα 1Mc 10:37
Of them, some shall be placed in the king’s great strongholds, and some of them shall be placed over the affairs of the kingdom, which are positions of trust. Let those who are over them and their rulers be of themselves, and let them walk after their own laws, even as the king has commanded in the land of Judah.
- - - 38 1Mc 10:38 38 καὶ τοὺς τρεῖς νομοὺς τοὺς προστεθέντας τῇ Ιουδαίᾳ ἀπὸ τῆς χώρας Σαμαρείας προστεθήτω τῇ Ιουδαίᾳ πρὸς τὸ λογισθῆναι τοῦ γενέσθαι ὑφ’ ἕνα τοῦ μὴ ὑπακοῦσαι ἄλλης ἐξουσίας ἀλλ’ ἢ τοῦ ἀρχιερέως 1Mc 10:38
¶“The three districts that have been added to Judea from the country of Samaria, let them be annexed to Judea, that they may be reckoned to be under one ruler, that they may not obey any other authority than the high priest’s.
- - - 39 1Mc 10:39 39 Πτολεμαίδα καὶ τὴν προσκυροῦσαν αὐτῇ δέδωκα δόμα τοῖς ἁγίοις τοῖς ἐν Ιερουσαλημ εἰς τὴν καθήκουσαν δαπάνην τοῖς ἁγίοις 1Mc 10:39
As for Ptolemais and its land, I have given it as a gift to the sanctuary that is at Jerusalem, for the expenses of the sanctuary.
- - - 40 1Mc 10:40 40 κἀγὼ δίδωμι κατ’ ἐνιαυτὸν δέκα πέντε χιλιάδας σίκλων ἀργυρίου ἀπὸ τῶν λόγων τοῦ βασιλέως ἀπὸ τῶν τόπων τῶν ἀνηκόντων 1Mc 10:40
I also give every year fifteen thousand shekels of silver from the king’s revenues from the places that are appropriate.
- - - 41 1Mc 10:41 41 καὶ πᾶν τὸ πλεονάζον ὃ οὐκ ἀπεδίδοσαν ἀπὸ τῶν χρειῶν ὡς ἐν τοῖς πρώτοις ἔτεσιν ἀπὸ τοῦ νῦν δώσουσιν εἰς τὰ ἔργα τοῦ οἴκου 1Mc 10:41
And all the additional funds which those who manage the king’s affairs didn’t pay as in the first years, they shall give from now on toward the works of the temple.
- - - 42 1Mc 10:42 42 καὶ ἐπὶ τούτοις πεντακισχιλίους σίκλους ἀργυρίου οὓς ἐλάμβανον ἀπὸ τῶν χρειῶν τοῦ ἁγίου ἀπὸ τοῦ λόγου κατ’ ἐνιαυτόν καὶ ταῦτα ἀφίεται διὰ τὸ ἀνήκειν αὐτὰ τοῖς ἱερεῦσιν τοῖς λειτουργοῦσιν 1Mc 10:42
Besides this, the five thousand shekels of silver which they received from the uses of the sanctuary from the revenue year by year is also released, because it belongs to the priests who minister there.
- - - 43 1Mc 10:43 43 καὶ ὅσοι ἐὰν φύγωσιν εἰς τὸ ἱερὸν τὸ ἐν Ιεροσολύμοις καὶ ἐν πᾶσιν τοῖς ὁρίοις αὐτοῦ ὀφείλων βασιλικὰ καὶ πᾶν πρᾶγμα ἀπολελύσθωσαν καὶ πάντα ὅσα ἐστὶν αὐτοῖς ἐν τῇ βασιλείᾳ μου 1Mc 10:43
Whoever flees to the temple that is at Jerusalem, and within all of its borders, whether one owe money to the king, or any other matter, let them go free, along with all that they have in my kingdom.
- - - 44 1Mc 10:44 44 καὶ τοῦ οἰκοδομηθῆναι καὶ ἐπικαινισθῆναι τὰ ἔργα τῶν ἁγίων καὶ ἡ δαπάνη δοθήσεται ἐκ τοῦ λόγου τοῦ βασιλέως 1Mc 10:44
For the building and renewing of the structures of the sanctuary, the expense shall also be given out of the king’s revenue.
- - - 45 1Mc 10:45 45 καὶ τοῦ οἰκοδομηθῆναι τὰ τείχη Ιερουσαλημ καὶ ὀχυρῶσαι κυκλόθεν καὶ ἡ δαπάνη δοθήσεται ἐκ τοῦ λόγου τοῦ βασιλέως καὶ τοῦ οἰκοδομηθῆναι τὰ τείχη ἐν τῇ Ιουδαίᾳ 1Mc 10:45
For the building of the walls of Jerusalem and fortifying it all around, the expense shall also be given out of the king’s revenue, also for the building of the walls in Judea.”
- - - 46 1Mc 10:46 46 ὡς δὲ ἤκουσεν Ιωναθαν καὶ ὁ λαὸς τοὺς λόγους τούτους οὐκ ἐπίστευσαν αὐτοῖς οὐδὲ ἐπεδέξαντο ὅτι ἐπεμνήσθησαν τῆς κακίας τῆς μεγάλης ἧς ἐποίησεν ἐν Ισραηλ καὶ ἔθλιψεν αὐτοὺς σφόδρα 1Mc 10:46
¶Now when Jonathan and the people heard these words, they gave no credence to them, and didn’t accept them, because they remembered the great evil which he had done in Israel, and that he had afflicted them very severely.
- - - 47 1Mc 10:47 47 καὶ εὐδόκησαν ἐν Ἀλεξάνδρῳ ὅτι αὐτὸς ἐγένετο αὐτοῖς ἀρχηγὸς λόγων εἰρηνικῶν καὶ συνεμάχουν αὐτῷ πάσας τὰς ἡμέρας 1Mc 10:47
They were well pleased with Alexander, because he was the first who spoke words of peace to them, and they were allies with him always.
- - - 48 1Mc 10:48 48 καὶ συνήγαγεν Ἀλέξανδρος ὁ βασιλεὺς δυνάμεις μεγάλας καὶ παρενέβαλεν ἐξ ἐναντίας Δημητρίου 1Mc 10:48
¶King Alexander gathered together great forces and encamped near Demetrius.
- - - 49 1Mc 10:49 49 καὶ συνῆψαν πόλεμον οἱ δύο βασιλεῖς καὶ ἔφυγεν ἡ παρεμβολὴ Δημητρίου καὶ ἐδίωξεν αὐτὸν ὁ Ἀλέξανδρος καὶ ἴσχυσεν ἐπ’ αὐτούς 1Mc 10:49
The two kings joined battle, and the army of Alexander fled; and Demetrius followed after him, and prevailed against them.
- - - 50 1Mc 10:50 50 καὶ ἐστερέωσεν τὸν πόλεμον σφόδρα ἕως ἔδυ ὁ ἥλιος καὶ ἔπεσεν ὁ Δημήτριος ἐν τῇ ἡμέρᾳ ἐκείνῃ 1Mc 10:50
He strengthened the battle exceedingly until the sun went down; and Demetrius fell that day.
- - - 51 1Mc 10:51 51 καὶ ἀπέστειλεν Ἀλέξανδρος πρὸς Πτολεμαῖον βασιλέα Αἰγύπτου πρέσβεις κατὰ τοὺς λόγους τούτους λέγων 1Mc 10:51
¶Alexander sent ambassadors to Ptolemy king of Egypt with this message:
- - - 52 1Mc 10:52 52 ἐπεὶ ἀνέστρεψα εἰς τὴν βασιλείαν μου καὶ ἐνεκάθισα ἐπὶ θρόνου πατέρων μου καὶ ἐκράτησα τῆς ἀρχῆς καὶ συνέτριψα τὸν Δημήτριον καὶ ἐπεκράτησα τῆς χώρας ἡμῶν 1Mc 10:52
“Since I have returned to my kingdom, and am seated on the throne of my fathers, and have established my dominion, and have overthrown Demetrius, and have taken possession of our country—
- - - 53 1Mc 10:53 53 καὶ συνῆψα πρὸς αὐτὸν μάχην καὶ συνετρίβη αὐτὸς καὶ ἡ παρεμβολὴ αὐτοῦ ὑφ’ ἡμῶν καὶ ἐκαθίσαμεν ἐπὶ θρόνου βασιλείας αὐτοῦ 1Mc 10:53
yes, I joined the battle with him, and he and his army were defeated by us, and we sat on the throne of his kingdom—
- - - 54 1Mc 10:54 54 καὶ νῦν στήσωμεν πρὸς αὑτοὺς φιλίαν καὶ νῦν δός μοι τὴν θυγατέρα σου εἰς γυναῖκα καὶ ἐπιγαμβρεύσω σοι καὶ δώσω σοι δόματα καὶ αὐτῇ ἄξιά σου 1Mc 10:54
now also let’s make friends with one another. Give me now your daughter as my wife. I will be joined with you, and will give both you and her gifts worthy of you.”
- - - 55 1Mc 10:55 55 καὶ ἀπεκρίθη Πτολεμαῖος ὁ βασιλεὺς λέγων ἀγαθὴ ἡμέρα ἐν ᾗ ἐπέστρεψας εἰς γῆν πατέρων σου καὶ ἐκάθισας ἐπὶ θρόνου βασιλείας αὐτῶν 1Mc 10:55
¶Ptolemy the king answered, saying, “Happy is the day you returned to the land of your ancestors and sat on the throne of their kingdom.
- - - 56 1Mc 10:56 56 καὶ νῦν ποιήσω σοι ἃ ἔγραψας ἀλλὰ ἀπάντησον εἰς Πτολεμαίδα ὅπως ἴδωμεν ἀλλήλους καὶ ἐπιγαμβρεύσω σοι καθὼς εἴρηκας 1Mc 10:56
Now I will do to you as you have written, but meet me at Ptolemais, that we may see one another; and I will join with you, even as you have said.”
- - - 57 1Mc 10:57 57 καὶ ἐξῆλθεν Πτολεμαῖος ἐξ Αἰγύπτου αὐτὸς καὶ Κλεοπάτρα ἡ θυγάτηρ αὐτοῦ καὶ ἦλθεν εἰς Πτολεμαίδα ἔτους δευτέρου καὶ ἑξηκοστοῦ καὶ ἑκατοστοῦ 1Mc 10:57
So Ptolemy went out of Egypt, himself and Cleopatra his daughter, and came to Ptolemais in the one hundred sixty-second year.
* - - - 58 1Mc 10:58 58 καὶ ἀπήντησεν αὐτῷ Ἀλέξανδρος ὁ βασιλεύς καὶ ἐξέδετο αὐτῷ Κλεοπάτραν τὴν θυγατέρα αὐτοῦ καὶ ἐποίησεν τὸν γάμον αὐτῆς ἐν Πτολεμαίδι καθὼς οἱ βασιλεῖς ἐν δόξῃ μεγάλῃ 1Mc 10:58
King Alexander met him, and he gave him his daughter Cleopatra, and celebrated her wedding at Ptolemais with great pomp, as kings do.
- - - 59 1Mc 10:59 59 καὶ ἔγραψεν Ἀλέξανδρος ὁ βασιλεὺς Ιωναθη ἐλθεῖν εἰς συνάντησιν αὐτῷ 1Mc 10:59
¶King Alexander wrote to Jonathan, that he should come to meet him.
- - - 60 1Mc 10:60 60 καὶ ἐπορεύθη μετὰ δόξης εἰς Πτολεμαίδα καὶ ἀπήντησεν τοῖς δυσὶν βασιλεῦσι καὶ ἔδωκεν αὐτοῖς ἀργύριον καὶ χρυσίον καὶ τοῖς φίλοις αὐτῶν καὶ δόματα πολλὰ καὶ εὗρεν χάριν ἐνώπιον αὐτῶν 1Mc 10:60
He went with pomp to Ptolemais, and met the two kings. He gave them and their friends
silver and gold, and many gifts, and found favor in their sight.
- - - 61 1Mc 10:61 61 καὶ ἐπισυνήχθησαν ἐπ’ αὐτὸν ἄνδρες λοιμοὶ ἐξ Ισραηλ ἄνδρες παράνομοι ἐντυχεῖν κατ’ αὐτοῦ καὶ οὐ προσέσχεν αὐτοῖς ὁ βασιλεύς 1Mc 10:61
Some malcontents out of Israel, men who were transgressors of the law, gathered together against him to complain against him; but the king paid no attention to them.
- - - 62 1Mc 10:62 62 καὶ προσέταξεν ὁ βασιλεὺς καὶ ἐξέδυσαν Ιωναθαν τὰ ἱμάτια αὐτοῦ καὶ ἐνέδυσαν αὐτὸν πορφύραν καὶ ἐποίησαν οὕτως 1Mc 10:62
The king commanded that they take off Jonathan’s garments and clothe him in purple, and they did so.
- - - 63 1Mc 10:63 63 καὶ ἐκάθισεν αὐτὸν ὁ βασιλεὺς μετ’ αὐτοῦ καὶ εἶπεν τοῖς ἄρχουσιν αὐτοῦ ἐξέλθατε μετ’ αὐτοῦ εἰς μέσον τῆς πόλεως καὶ κηρύξατε τοῦ μηδένα ἐντυγχάνειν κατ’ αὐτοῦ περὶ μηδενὸς πράγματος καὶ μηδεὶς αὐτῷ παρενοχλείτω περὶ παντὸς λόγου 1Mc 10:63
The king made him sit with him, and said to his princes, “Go out with him into the midst of the city, and proclaim that no man may complain against him of any matter, and let no man trouble him for any reason.”
- - - 64 1Mc 10:64 64 καὶ ἐγένετο ὡς εἶδον οἱ ἐντυγχάνοντες τὴν δόξαν αὐτοῦ καθὼς ἐκήρυξεν καὶ περιβεβλημένον αὐτὸν πορφύραν καὶ ἔφυγον πάντες 1Mc 10:64
It came to pass, when those who complained against him saw his honor according to the proclamation, and saw him clothed in purple, they all fled away.
- - - 65 1Mc 10:65 65 καὶ ἐδόξασεν αὐτὸν ὁ βασιλεὺς καὶ ἔγραψεν αὐτὸν τῶν πρώτων φίλων καὶ ἔθετο αὐτὸν στρατηγὸν καὶ μεριδάρχην 1Mc 10:65
The king gave him honor, and enrolled him among his chief friends,
and made him a captain and governor of a province.
- - - 66 1Mc 10:66 66 καὶ ἐπέστρεψεν Ιωναθαν εἰς Ιερουσαλημ μετ’ εἰρήνης καὶ εὐφροσύνης 1Mc 10:66
Then Jonathan returned to Jerusalem with peace and gladness.
- - - 67 1Mc 10:67 67 καὶ ἐν ἔτει πέμπτῳ καὶ ἑξηκοστῷ καὶ ἑκατοστῷ ἦλθεν Δημήτριος υἱὸς Δημητρίου ἐκ Κρήτης εἰς τὴν γῆν τῶν πατέρων αὐτοῦ 1Mc 10:67
¶In the one hundred sixty-fifth year,
Demetrius, son of Demetrius, came out of Crete into the land of his ancestors.
- - - 68 1Mc 10:68 68 καὶ ἤκουσεν Ἀλέξανδρος ὁ βασιλεὺς καὶ ἐλυπήθη σφόδρα καὶ ὑπέστρεψεν εἰς Ἀντιόχειαν 1Mc 10:68
When King Alexander heard of it, he grieved exceedingly and returned to Antioch.
- - - 69 1Mc 10:69 69 καὶ κατέστησεν Δημήτριος Ἀπολλώνιον τὸν ὄντα ἐπὶ Κοίλης Συρίας καὶ συνήγαγεν δύναμιν μεγάλην καὶ παρενέβαλεν ἐπὶ Ιάμνειαν καὶ ἀπέστειλεν πρὸς Ιωναθαν τὸν ἀρχιερέα λέγων 1Mc 10:69
Demetrius appointed Apollonius, who was over Coelesyria, and he gathered together a great army, and encamped against Jamnia, and sent to Jonathan the high priest, saying,
- - - 70 1Mc 10:70 70 σὺ μονώτατος ἐπαίρῃ ἐφ’ ἡμᾶς ἐγὼ δὲ ἐγενήθην εἰς καταγέλωτα καὶ εἰς ὀνειδισμὸν διὰ σέ καὶ διὰ τί σὺ ἐξουσιάζῃ ἐφ’ ἡμᾶς ἐν τοῖς ὄρεσι 1Mc 10:70
¶“You alone lift up yourself against us, but I am ridiculed and in reproach because of you. Why do you assume authority against us in the mountains?
- - - 71 1Mc 10:71 71 νῦν οὖν εἰ πέποιθας ἐπὶ ταῖς δυνάμεσίν σου κατάβηθι πρὸς ἡμᾶς εἰς τὸ πεδίον καὶ συγκριθῶμεν ἑαυτοῖς ἐκεῖ ὅτι μετ’ ἐμοῦ ἐστιν δύναμις τῶν πόλεων 1Mc 10:71
Now therefore, if you trust in your forces, come down to us into the plain, and let’s match strength with each other there; for the power of the cities is with me.
- - - 72 1Mc 10:72 72 ἐρώτησον καὶ μάθε τίς εἰμι καὶ οἱ λοιποὶ οἱ βοηθοῦντες ἡμῖν καὶ λέγουσιν οὐκ ἔστιν ὑμῖν στάσις ποδὸς κατὰ πρόσωπον ἡμῶν ὅτι δὶς ἐτροπώθησαν οἱ πατέρες σου ἐν τῇ γῇ αὐτῶν 1Mc 10:72
Ask and learn who I am, and the rest who help us. They say, ‘Your foot can’t stand before our face; for your ancestors have been put to flight twice in their own land.’
- - - 73 1Mc 10:73 73 καὶ νῦν οὐ δυνήσῃ ὑποστῆναι τὴν ἵππον καὶ δύναμιν τοιαύτην ἐν τῷ πεδίῳ ὅπου οὐκ ἔστιν λίθος οὐδὲ κόχλαξ οὐδὲ τόπος τοῦ φυγεῖν 1Mc 10:73
Now you won’t be able to withstand the cavalry and such an army as this in the plain, where is there is no stone or pebble, or place to flee.”
- - - 74 1Mc 10:74 74 ὡς δὲ ἤκουσεν Ιωναθαν τῶν λόγων Ἀπολλωνίου ἐκινήθη τῇ διανοίᾳ καὶ ἐπέλεξεν δέκα χιλιάδας ἀνδρῶν καὶ ἐξῆλθεν ἐξ Ιερουσαλημ καὶ συνήντησεν αὐτῷ Σιμων ὁ ἀδελφὸς αὐτοῦ ἐπὶ βοήθειαν αὐτῷ 1Mc 10:74
¶Now when Jonathan heard the words of Apollonius, he was moved in his mind, and he chose ten thousand men, and went out from Jerusalem; and Simon his brother met him to help him.
- - - 75 1Mc 10:75 75 καὶ παρενέβαλεν ἐπὶ Ιοππην καὶ ἀπέκλεισαν αὐτὴν οἱ ἐκ τῆς πόλεως ὅτι φρουρὰ Ἀπολλωνίου ἐν Ιοππη καὶ ἐπολέμησαν αὐτήν 1Mc 10:75
Then he encamped against Joppa. The people of the city shut him out, because Apollonius had a garrison in Joppa.
- - - 76 1Mc 10:76 76 καὶ φοβηθέντες ἤνοιξαν οἱ ἐκ τῆς πόλεως καὶ ἐκυρίευσεν Ιωναθαν Ιοππης 1Mc 10:76
So they fought against it. The people of the city were afraid, and opened to him; and Jonathan became master of Joppa.
- - - 77 1Mc 10:77 77 καὶ ἤκουσεν Ἀπολλώνιος καὶ παρενέβαλεν τρισχιλίαν ἵππον καὶ δύναμιν πολλὴν καὶ ἐπορεύθη εἰς Ἄζωτον ὡς διοδεύων καὶ ἅμα προῆγεν εἰς τὸ πεδίον διὰ τὸ ἔχειν αὐτὸν πλῆθος ἵππου καὶ πεποιθέναι ἐπ’ αὐτῇ 1Mc 10:77
¶Apollonius heard about that, and he gathered an army of three thousand cavalry, and a great army, and went to Azotus as though he were on a journey, and at the same time advanced onward into the plain, because he had a multitude of cavalry which he trusted.
- - - 78 1Mc 10:78 78 καὶ κατεδίωξεν ὀπίσω αὐτοῦ εἰς Ἄζωτον καὶ συνῆψαν αἱ παρεμβολαὶ εἰς πόλεμον 1Mc 10:78
He pursued him to Azotus, and the armies joined battle.
* - - - 79 1Mc 10:79 79 καὶ ἀπέλιπεν Απολλώνιος χιλίαν ἵππον κρυπτῶς κατόπισθεν αὐτῶν 1Mc 10:79
Apollonius had secretly left a thousand cavalry behind them.
- - - 80 1Mc 10:80 80 καὶ ἔγνω Ιωναθαν ὅτι ἔστιν ἔνεδρον κατόπισθεν αὐτοῦ καὶ ἐκύκλωσαν αὐτοῦ τὴν παρεμβολὴν καὶ ἐξετίναξαν τὰς σχίζας εἰς τὸν λαὸν ἐκ πρωίθεν ἕως δείλης 1Mc 10:80
Jonathan learned that there was an ambush behind him. They surrounded his army, and shot their arrows at the people, from morning until evening;
- - - 81 1Mc 10:81 81 ὁ δὲ λαὸς εἱστήκει καθὼς ἐπέταξεν Ιωναθαν καὶ ἐκοπίασαν οἱ ἵπποι αὐτῶν 1Mc 10:81
but the people stood fast, as Jonathan commanded them; and the enemy’s horses grew tired.
- - - 82 1Mc 10:82 82 καὶ εἵλκυσεν Σιμων τὴν δύναμιν αὐτοῦ καὶ συνῆψεν πρὸς τὴν φάλαγγα ἡ γὰρ ἵππος ἐξελύθη καὶ συνετρίβησαν ὑπ’ αὐτοῦ καὶ ἔφυγον 1Mc 10:82
¶Then Simon brought forward his army and joined battle with the phalanx (for the cavalry were exhausted), and they were defeated by him and fled.
- - - 83 1Mc 10:83 83 καὶ ἡ ἵππος ἐσκορπίσθη ἐν τῷ πεδίῳ καὶ ἔφυγον εἰς Ἄζωτον καὶ εἰσῆλθον εἰς Βηθδαγων τὸ εἰδώλιον αὐτῶν τοῦ σωθῆναι 1Mc 10:83
The cavalry were scattered in the plain. They fled to Azotus and entered into Beth-dagon, their idol’s temple, to save themselves.
- - - 84 1Mc 10:84 84 καὶ ἐνεπύρισεν Ιωναθαν τὴν Ἄζωτον καὶ τὰς πόλεις τὰς κύκλῳ αὐτῆς καὶ ἔλαβεν τὰ σκῦλα αὐτῶν καὶ τὸ ἱερὸν Δαγων καὶ τοὺς συμφυγόντας εἰς αὐτὸ ἐνεπύρισεν πυρί 1Mc 10:84
Jonathan burned Azotus and the cities around it and took their spoils. He burned the temple of Dagon and those who fled into it with fire.
- - - 85 1Mc 10:85 85 καὶ ἐγένοντο οἱ πεπτωκότες μαχαίρᾳ σὺν τοῖς ἐμπυρισθεῖσιν εἰς ἄνδρας ὀκτακισχιλίους 1Mc 10:85
Those who had fallen by the sword plus those who were burned were about eight thousand men.
- - - 86 1Mc 10:86 86 καὶ ἀπῆρεν ἐκεῖθεν Ιωναθαν καὶ παρενέβαλεν ἐπὶ Ἀσκαλῶνα καὶ ἐξῆλθον οἱ ἐκ τῆς πόλεως εἰς συνάντησιν αὐτῷ ἐν δόξῃ μεγάλῃ 1Mc 10:86
¶From there, Jonathan left and encamped against Ascalon. The people of the city came out to meet him with great pomp.
- - - 87 1Mc 10:87 87 καὶ ἐπέστρεψεν Ιωναθαν εἰς Ιερουσαλημ σὺν τοῖς παρ’ αὐτοῦ ἔχοντες σκῦλα πολλά 1Mc 10:87
Jonathan, with those who were on his side, returned to Jerusalem, having many spoils.
- - - 88 1Mc 10:88 88 καὶ ἐγένετο ὡς ἤκουσεν Ἀλέξανδρος ὁ βασιλεὺς τοὺς λόγους τούτους καὶ προσέθετο ἔτι δοξάσαι τὸν Ιωναθαν 1Mc 10:88
It came to pass, when King Alexander heard these things, he honored Jonathan even more.
- - - 89 1Mc 10:89 89 καὶ ἀπέστειλεν αὐτῷ πόρπην χρυσῆν ὡς ἔθος ἐστὶν δίδοσθαι τοῖς συγγενέσιν τῶν βασιλέων καὶ ἔδωκεν αὐτῷ τὴν Ακκαρων καὶ πάντα τὰ ὅρια αὐτῆς εἰς κληροδοσίαν 1Mc 10:89
He sent him a gold buckle, as the custom is to give to the king’s kindred. He gave him Ekron and all its land for a possession.
- - -
Match Diacritics KEYMAP Wildcard