Μακκαβαίων Αʹ 1 Maccabees
CATSS LXX Wiki Latin Translation LXX / Vulgata Clementina Westminster Leningrad Codex Wiki Latin Translation HB / Vulgata Clementina 1 1Mc 11:1 1 καὶ βασιλεὺς Αἰγύπτου ἤθροισεν δυνάμεις πολλὰς ὡς ἡ ἄμμος ἡ παρὰ τὸ χεῖλος τῆς θαλάσσης καὶ πλοῖα πολλὰ καὶ ἐζήτησε κατακρατῆσαι τῆς βασιλείας Ἀλεξάνδρου δόλῳ καὶ προσθεῖναι αὐτὴν τῇ βασιλείᾳ αὐτοῦ 1Mc 11:1
¶Then the king of Egypt gathered together great forces, as the sand which is by the sea shore, and many ships, and sought to make himself master of Alexander’s kingdom by deceit, and to add it to his own kingdom.
- - - 2 1Mc 11:2 2 καὶ ἐξῆλθεν εἰς Συρίαν λόγοις εἰρηνικοῖς καὶ ἤνοιγον αὐτῷ οἱ ἀπὸ τῶν πόλεων καὶ συνήντων αὐτῷ ὅτι ἐντολὴ ἦν Ἀλεξάνδρου τοῦ βασιλέως συναντᾶν αὐτῷ διὰ τὸ πενθερὸν αὐτοῦ εἶναι 1Mc 11:2
He went out into Syria with words of peace, and the people of the cities opened their gates to him and met him; for King Alexander’s command was that they should meet him, because he was his father-in-law.
- - - 3 1Mc 11:3 3 ὡς δὲ εἰσεπορεύετο εἰς τὰς πόλεις Πτολεμαῖος ἀπέτασσε τὰς δυνάμεις φρουρὰν ἐν ἑκάστῃ πόλει 1Mc 11:3
Now as he entered into the cities of Ptolemais, he set his forces for a garrison in each city.
- - - 4 1Mc 11:4 4 ὡς δὲ ἤγγισαν Αζώτου ἔδειξαν αὐτῷ τὸ ἱερὸν Δαγων ἐμπεπυρισμένον καὶ Ἄζωτον καὶ τὰ περιπόλια αὐτῆς καθῃρημένα καὶ τὰ σώματα ἐρριμμένα καὶ τοὺς ἐμπεπυρισμένους οὓς ἐνεπύρισεν ἐν τῷ πολέμῳ ἐποίησαν γὰρ θιμωνιὰς αὐτῶν ἐν τῇ ὁδῷ αὐτοῦ 1Mc 11:4
¶But when he came near to Azotus, they showed him the temple of Dagon burned with fire, and Azotus and its pasture lands destroyed, and the bodies cast out, and those who had been burned, whom he burned in the war, for they had made heaps of them in his way.
- - - 5 1Mc 11:5 5 καὶ διηγήσαντο τῷ βασιλεῖ ἃ ἐποίησεν Ιωναθαν εἰς τὸ ψογίσαι αὐτόν καὶ ἐσίγησεν ὁ βασιλεύς 1Mc 11:5
They told the king what Jonathan had done, that they might cast blame on him; but the king kept silent.
- - - 6 1Mc 11:6 6 καὶ συνήντησεν Ιωναθαν τῷ βασιλεῖ εἰς Ιοππην μετὰ δόξης καὶ ἠσπάσαντο ἀλλήλους καὶ ἐκοιμήθησαν ἐκεῖ 1Mc 11:6
Jonathan met the king with pomp at Joppa, and they greeted one another, and they slept there.
- - - 7 1Mc 11:7 7 καὶ ἐπορεύθη Ιωναθαν μετὰ τοῦ βασιλέως ἕως τοῦ ποταμοῦ τοῦ καλουμένου Ἐλευθέρου καὶ ἐπέστρεψεν εἰς Ιερουσαλημ 1Mc 11:7
Jonathan went with the king as far as the river that is called Eleutherus, then returned to Jerusalem.
- - - 8 1Mc 11:8 8 ὁ δὲ βασιλεὺς Πτολεμαῖος ἐκυρίευσεν τῶν πόλεων τῆς παραλίας ἕως Σελευκείας τῆς παραθαλασσίας καὶ διελογίζετο περὶ Ἀλεξάνδρου λογισμοὺς πονηρούς 1Mc 11:8
¶But King Ptolemy took control of the cities along the sea coast, to Selucia which is by the sea, and he devised evil plans concerning Alexander.
- - - 9 1Mc 11:9 9 καὶ ἀπέστειλεν πρέσβεις πρὸς Δημήτριον τὸν βασιλέα λέγων δεῦρο συνθώμεθα πρὸς ἑαυτοὺς διαθήκην καὶ δώσω σοι τὴν θυγατέρα μου ἣν εἶχεν Ἀλέξανδρος καὶ βασιλεύσεις τῆς βασιλείας τοῦ πατρός σου 1Mc 11:9
He sent ambassadors to King Demetrius, saying, “Come! Let’s make a covenant with one another, and I will give you my daughter whom Alexander has, and you shall reign over your father’s kingdom;
- - - 10 1Mc 11:10 10 μεταμεμέλημαι γὰρ δοὺς αὐτῷ τὴν θυγατέρα μου ἐζήτησεν γὰρ ἀποκτεῖναί με 1Mc 11:10
for I regret that I gave my daughter to him, for he tried to kill me.
- - - 11 1Mc 11:11 11 καὶ ἐψόγισεν αὐτὸν χάριν τοῦ ἐπιθυμῆσαι αὐτὸν τῆς βασιλείας αὐτοῦ 1Mc 11:11
He accused him, because he coveted his kingdom.
- - - 12 1Mc 11:12 12 καὶ ἀφελόμενος αὐτοῦ τὴν θυγατέρα ἔδωκεν αὐτὴν τῷ Δημητρίῳ καὶ ἠλλοιώθη τῷ Ἀλεξάνδρῳ καὶ ἐφάνη ἡ ἔχθρα αὐτῶν 1Mc 11:12
Taking his daughter from him, he gave her to Demetrius, and was estranged from Alexander, and their enmity was openly seen.
- - - 13 1Mc 11:13 13 καὶ εἰσῆλθεν Πτολεμαῖος εἰς Ἀντιόχειαν καὶ περιέθετο τὸ διάδημα τῆς Ἀσίας καὶ περιέθετο δύο διαδήματα περὶ τὴν κεφαλὴν αὐτοῦ τὸ τῆς Αἰγύπτου καὶ Ἀσίας 1Mc 11:13
¶Ptolemy entered into Antioch, and put on himself the crown of Asia. He put two crowns upon his head, the crown of Egypt and that of Asia.
- - - 14 1Mc 11:14 14 Ἀλέξανδρος δὲ ὁ βασιλεὺς ἦν ἐν Κιλικίᾳ κατὰ τοὺς καιροὺς ἐκείνους ὅτι ἀπεστάτουν οἱ ἀπὸ τῶν τόπων ἐκείνων 1Mc 11:14
But King Alexander was in Cilicia at that time, because the people of that region were in revolt.
- - - 15 1Mc 11:15 15 καὶ ἤκουσεν Ἀλέξανδρος καὶ ἦλθεν ἐπ’ αὐτὸν ἐν πολέμῳ καὶ ἐξήγαγεν Πτολεμαῖος καὶ ἀπήντησεν αὐτῷ ἐν χειρὶ ἰσχυρᾷ καὶ ἐτροπώσατο αὐτόν 1Mc 11:15
When Alexander heard of it, he came against him in war. Ptolemy marched out and met him with a strong force, and put him to flight.
- - - 16 1Mc 11:16 16 καὶ ἔφυγεν Ἀλέξανδρος εἰς τὴν Ἀραβίαν τοῦ σκεπασθῆναι αὐτὸν ἐκεῖ ὁ δὲ βασιλεὺς Πτολεμαῖος ὑψώθη 1Mc 11:16
Alexander fled into Arabia, that he might be sheltered there; but King Ptolemy was triumphant.
- - - 17 1Mc 11:17 17 καὶ ἀφεῖλεν Ζαβδιηλ ὁ Ἄραψ τὴν κεφαλὴν Ἀλεξάνδρου καὶ ἀπέστειλεν τῷ Πτολεμαίῳ 1Mc 11:17
Zabdiel the Arabian took off Alexander’s head, and sent it to Ptolemy.
- - - 18 1Mc 11:18 18 καὶ ὁ βασιλεὺς Πτολεμαῖος ἀπέθανεν ἐν τῇ ἡμέρᾳ τῇ τρίτῃ καὶ οἱ ὄντες ἐν τοῖς ὀχυρώμασιν αὐτοῦ ἀπώλοντο ὑπὸ τῶν ἐν τοῖς ὀχυρώμασιν 1Mc 11:18
King Ptolemy died the third day after, and those who were in his strongholds were slain by the inhabitants of the strongholds.
- - - 19 1Mc 11:19 19 καὶ ἐβασίλευσεν Δημήτριος ἔτους ἑβδόμου καὶ ἑξηκοστοῦ καὶ ἑκατοστοῦ 1Mc 11:19
Demetrius became king in the one hundred sixty-seventh year.
* - - - 20 1Mc 11:20 20 ἐν ταῖς ἡμέραις ἐκείναις συνήγαγεν Ιωναθαν τοὺς ἐκ τῆς Ιουδαίας τοῦ ἐκπολεμῆσαι τὴν ἄκραν τὴν ἐν Ιερουσαλημ καὶ ἐποίησεν ἐπ’ αὐτὴν μηχανὰς πολλάς 1Mc 11:20
¶In those days Jonathan gathered together the Judeans to take the citadel that was at Jerusalem. He made many engines of war to use against it.
- - - 21 1Mc 11:21 21 καὶ ἐπορεύθησάν τινες μισοῦντες τὸ ἔθνος αὐτῶν ἄνδρες παράνομοι πρὸς τὸν βασιλέα καὶ ἀπήγγειλαν αὐτῷ ὅτι Ιωναθαν περικάθηται τὴν ἄκραν 1Mc 11:21
Some lawless men who hated their own nation went to the king and reported to him that Jonathan was besieging the citadel.
- - - 22 1Mc 11:22 22 καὶ ἀκούσας ὠργίσθη ὡς δὲ ἤκουσεν εὐθέως ἀναζεύξας ἦλθεν εἰς Πτολεμαίδα καὶ ἔγραψεν Ιωναθαν τοῦ μὴ περικαθῆσθαι καὶ τοῦ ἀπαντῆσαι αὐτὸν αὐτῷ συμμίσγειν εἰς Πτολεμαίδα τὴν ταχίστην 1Mc 11:22
He heard, and was angry, but when he heard it, he set out immediately, and came to Ptolemais, and wrote to Jonathan, that he should not besiege it, and that he should meet him and speak with him at Ptolemais with all speed.
- - - 23 1Mc 11:23 23 ὡς δὲ ἤκουσεν Ιωναθαν ἐκέλευσεν περικαθῆσθαι καὶ ἐπέλεξεν τῶν πρεσβυτέρων Ισραηλ καὶ τῶν ἱερέων καὶ ἔδωκεν ἑαυτὸν τῷ κινδύνῳ 1Mc 11:23
¶But when Jonathan heard this, he gave orders to continue the siege. He chose some of the elders of Israel and of the priests, and put himself in peril
- - - 24 1Mc 11:24 24 καὶ λαβὼν ἀργύριον καὶ χρυσίον καὶ ἱματισμὸν καὶ ἕτερα ξένια πλείονα καὶ ἐπορεύθη πρὸς τὸν βασιλέα εἰς Πτολεμαίδα καὶ εὗρεν χάριν ἐναντίον αὐτοῦ 1Mc 11:24
by taking silver, gold, clothing, and various other presents, and went to Ptolemais to the king. Then he found favor in his sight.
- - - 25 1Mc 11:25 25 καὶ ἐνετύγχανον κατ’ αὐτοῦ τινες ἄνομοι τῶν ἐκ τοῦ ἔθνους 1Mc 11:25
Some lawless men of those who were of the nation made complaints against him,
- - - 26 1Mc 11:26 26 καὶ ἐποίησεν αὐτῷ ὁ βασιλεὺς καθὼς ἐποίησαν αὐτῷ οἱ πρὸ αὐτοῦ καὶ ὕψωσεν αὐτὸν ἐναντίον τῶν φίλων αὐτοῦ πάντων 1Mc 11:26
and the king did to him even as his predecessors had done to him, and exalted him in the sight of all his
- - - 27 1Mc 11:27 27 καὶ ἔστησεν αὐτῷ τὴν ἀρχιερωσύνην καὶ ὅσα ἄλλα εἶχεν τίμια τὸ πρότερον καὶ ἐποίησεν αὐτὸν τῶν πρώτων φίλων ἡγεῖσθαι 1Mc 11:27
and confirmed to him the high priesthood, and all the other honors that he had before, and gave him preeminence among his
- - - 28 1Mc 11:28 28 καὶ ἠξίωσεν Ιωναθαν τὸν βασιλέα ποιῆσαι τὴν Ιουδαίαν ἀφορολόγητον καὶ τὰς τρεῖς τοπαρχίας καὶ τὴν Σαμαρῖτιν καὶ ἐπηγγείλατο αὐτῷ τάλαντα τριακόσια 1Mc 11:28
And Jonathan requested of the king that he would make Judea free from tribute, along with the three
provinces and the country of Samaria, and promised him three hundred talents.
- - - 29 1Mc 11:29 29 καὶ εὐδόκησεν ὁ βασιλεὺς καὶ ἔγραψεν τῷ Ιωναθαν ἐπιστολὰς περὶ πάντων τούτων ἐχούσας τὸν τρόπον τοῦτον 1Mc 11:29
The king consented, and wrote letters to Jonathan concerning all these things as follows:
- - - 30 1Mc 11:30 30 βασιλεὺς Δημήτριος Ιωναθαν τῷ ἀδελφῷ χαίρειν καὶ ἔθνει Ιουδαίων 1Mc 11:30
¶“King Demetrius to his brother Jonathan, and to the nation of the Jews, greetings.
- - - 31 1Mc 11:31 31 τὸ ἀντίγραφον τῆς ἐπιστολῆς ἧς ἐγράψαμεν Λασθένει τῷ συγγενεῖ ἡμῶν περὶ ὑμῶν γεγράφαμεν καὶ πρὸς ὑμᾶς ὅπως εἰδῆτε 1Mc 11:31
The copy of the letter which we wrote to Lasthenes our kinsman concerning you, we have written also to you, that you may see it.
- - - 32 1Mc 11:32 32 βασιλεὺς Δημήτριος Λασθένει τῷ πατρὶ χαίρειν 1Mc 11:32
‘King Demetrius to Lasthenes his father, greetings.
- - - 33 1Mc 11:33 33 τῷ ἔθνει τῶν Ιουδαίων φίλοις ἡμῶν καὶ συντηροῦσιν τὰ πρὸς ἡμᾶς δίκαια ἐκρίναμεν ἀγαθὸν ποιῆσαι χάριν τῆς ἐξ αὐτῶν εὐνοίας πρὸς ἡμᾶς 1Mc 11:33
We have determined to do good to the nation of the Jews, who are our friends, and observe what is just toward us, because of their good will toward us.
- - - 34 1Mc 11:34 34 ἑστάκαμεν αὐτοῖς τά τε ὅρια τῆς Ιουδαίας καὶ τοὺς τρεῖς νομοὺς Αφαιρεμα καὶ Λυδδα καὶ Ραθαμιν προσετέθησαν τῇ Ιουδαίᾳ ἀπὸ τῆς Σαμαρίτιδος καὶ πάντα τὰ συγκυροῦντα αὐτοῖς πᾶσιν τοῖς θυσιάζουσιν εἰς Ιεροσόλυμα ἀντὶ τῶν βασιλικῶν ὧν ἐλάμβανεν ὁ βασιλεὺς παρ’ αὐτῶν τὸ πρότερον κατ’ ἐνιαυτὸν ἀπὸ τῶν γενημάτων τῆς γῆς καὶ τῶν ἀκροδρύων 1Mc 11:34
We have confirmed therefore to them the borders of Judea, and also the three governments of Aphaerema, Lydda, and Ramathaim (these were added to Judea from the country of Samaria), and all their territory to them, for all who do sacrifice in Jerusalem, instead of the king’s dues which the king received of them yearly before from the produce of the earth and the fruits of trees.
- - - 35 1Mc 11:35 35 καὶ τὰ ἄλλα τὰ ἀνήκοντα ἡμῖν ἀπὸ τοῦ νῦν τῶν δεκατῶν καὶ τῶν τελῶν τῶν ἀνηκόντων ἡμῖν καὶ τὰς τοῦ ἁλὸς λίμνας καὶ τοὺς ἀνήκοντας ἡμῖν στεφάνους πάντα ἐπαρκέσομεν αὐτοῖς 1Mc 11:35
As for the other payments to us from henceforth, of the tithes and the taxes that pertain to us, and the salt pits, and the crown taxes due to us, all these we will give back to them.
- - - 36 1Mc 11:36 36 καὶ οὐκ ἀθετηθήσεται οὐδὲ ἓν τούτων ἀπὸ τοῦ νῦν εἰς τὸν ἅπαντα χρόνον 1Mc 11:36
Not one of these grants shall be annulled from this time forth and forever.
- - - 37 1Mc 11:37 37 νῦν οὖν ἐπιμέλεσθε τοῦ ποιῆσαι τούτων ἀντίγραφον καὶ δοθήτω Ιωναθαν καὶ τεθήτω ἐν τῷ ὄρει τῷ ἁγίῳ ἐν τόπῳ ἐπισήμῳ 1Mc 11:37
Now therefore be careful to make a copy of these things, and let it be given to Jonathan, and let it be set up on the holy mountain in a suitable and conspicuous place.’”
- - - 38 1Mc 11:38 38 καὶ εἶδεν Δημήτριος ὁ βασιλεὺς ὅτι ἡσύχασεν ἡ γῆ ἐνώπιον αὐτοῦ καὶ οὐδὲν αὐτῷ ἀνθειστήκει καὶ ἀπέλυσεν πάσας τὰς δυνάμεις αὐτοῦ ἕκαστον εἰς τὸν ἴδιον τόπον πλὴν τῶν ξένων δυνάμεων ὧν ἐξενολόγησεν ἀπὸ τῶν νήσων τῶν ἐθνῶν καὶ ἤχθραναν αὐτῷ πᾶσαι αἱ δυνάμεις αἱ ἀπὸ τῶν πατέρων 1Mc 11:38
¶When King Demetrius saw that the land was quiet before him, and that no resistance was made to him, he sent away all his troops, each man to his own place, except the foreign troops, which he had raised from the islands of the Gentiles. So all the troops of his fathers hated him.
- - - 39 1Mc 11:39 39 Τρύφων δὲ ἦν τῶν παρὰ Ἀλεξάνδρου τὸ πρότερον καὶ εἶδεν ὅτι πᾶσαι αἱ δυνάμεις καταγογγύζουσιν κατὰ τοῦ Δημητρίου καὶ ἐπορεύθη πρὸς Ιμαλκουε τὸν Ἄραβα ὃς ἔτρεφεν Ἀντίοχον τὸ παιδάριον τὸν τοῦ Ἀλεξάνδρου 1Mc 11:39
Now Tryphon was one of those who previously had been on Alexander’s side, and he saw that all the forces murmured against Demetrius. So he went to Imalcue the Arabian, who was raising up Antiochus the young child of Alexander,
- - - 40 1Mc 11:40 40 καὶ προσήδρευεν αὐτῷ ὅπως παραδοῖ αὐτὸν αὐτῷ ὅπως βασιλεύσῃ ἀντὶ τοῦ πατρὸς αὐτοῦ καὶ ἀπήγγειλεν αὐτῷ ὅσα συνετέλεσεν ὁ Δημήτριος καὶ τὴν ἔχθραν ἣν ἐχθραίνουσιν αὐτῷ αἱ δυνάμεις αὐτοῦ καὶ ἔμεινεν ἐκεῖ ἡμέρας πολλάς 1Mc 11:40
and urgently insisted to him that he should deliver him to him, that he might reign in his father’s place. He told him all that Demetrius had done, and the hatred with which his forces hated him; and he stayed there many days.
- - - 41 1Mc 11:41 41 καὶ ἀπέστειλεν Ιωναθαν πρὸς Δημήτριον τὸν βασιλέα ἵνα ἐκβάλῃ τοὺς ἐκ τῆς ἄκρας ἐξ Ιερουσαλημ καὶ τοὺς ἐν τοῖς ὀχυρώμασιν ἦσαν γὰρ πολεμοῦντες τὸν Ισραηλ 1Mc 11:41
¶Now Jonathan sent to King Demetrius, that he should remove the troops of the citadel from Jerusalem, and the troops who were in the strongholds; for they fought against Israel continually.
- - - 42 1Mc 11:42 42 καὶ ἀπέστειλεν Δημήτριος πρὸς Ιωναθαν λέγων οὐ ταῦτα μόνον ποιήσω σοι καὶ τῷ ἔθνει σου ἀλλὰ δόξῃ δοξάσω σε καὶ τὸ ἔθνος σου ἐὰν εὐκαιρίας τύχω 1Mc 11:42
Demetrius sent to Jonathan, saying, “I will not only do this for you and your nation, but I will greatly honor you and your nation, if I find an opportunity.
- - - 43 1Mc 11:43 43 νῦν οὖν ὀρθῶς ποιήσεις ἀποστείλας μοι ἄνδρας οἳ συμμαχήσουσίν μοι ὅτι ἀπέστησαν πᾶσαι αἱ δυνάμεις μου 1Mc 11:43
Now therefore you shall do well if you send me men who will fight for me; for all my forces have revolted.”
- - - 44 1Mc 11:44 44 καὶ ἀπέστειλεν Ιωναθαν ἄνδρας τρισχιλίους δυνατοὺς ἰσχύι αὐτῷ εἰς Ἀντιόχειαν καὶ ἦλθον πρὸς τὸν βασιλέα καὶ ηὐφράνθη ὁ βασιλεὺς ἐπὶ τῇ ἐφόδῳ αὐτῶν 1Mc 11:44
So Jonathan sent him three thousand valiant men to Antioch. They came to the king, and the king was glad at their coming.
- - - 45 1Mc 11:45 45 καὶ ἐπισυνήχθησαν οἱ ἀπὸ τῆς πόλεως εἰς μέσον τῆς πόλεως εἰς ἀνδρῶν δώδεκα μυριάδας καὶ ἠβούλοντο ἀνελεῖν τὸν βασιλέα 1Mc 11:45
¶The people of the city gathered themselves together into the midst of the city, to the number of one hundred and twenty thousand men, and they wanted to kill the king.
- - - 46 1Mc 11:46 46 καὶ ἔφυγεν ὁ βασιλεὺς εἰς τὴν αὐλήν καὶ κατελάβοντο οἱ ἐκ τῆς πόλεως τὰς διόδους τῆς πόλεως καὶ ἤρξαντο πολεμεῖν 1Mc 11:46
The king fled into the court of the palace, and the people of the city seized the main streets of the city and began to fight.
- - - 47 1Mc 11:47 47 καὶ ἐκάλεσεν ὁ βασιλεὺς τοὺς Ιουδαίους ἐπὶ βοήθειαν καὶ ἐπισυνήχθησαν πρὸς αὐτὸν πάντες ἅμα καὶ διεσπάρησαν ἐν τῇ πόλει καὶ ἀπέκτειναν ἐν τῇ ἡμέρᾳ ἐκείνῃ εἰς μυριάδας δέκα 1Mc 11:47
The king called the Jews to help him, and they were gathered together to him all at once, and they dispersed themselves in the city, and killed that day about one hundred thousand.
- - - 48 1Mc 11:48 48 καὶ ἐνεπύρισαν τὴν πόλιν καὶ ἔλαβον σκῦλα πολλὰ ἐν ἐκείνῃ τῇ ἡμέρᾳ καὶ ἔσωσαν τὸν βασιλέα 1Mc 11:48
They set the city on fire, and seized many spoils that day, and saved the king.
- - - 49 1Mc 11:49 49 καὶ εἶδον οἱ ἀπὸ τῆς πόλεως ὅτι κατεκράτησαν οἱ Ιουδαῖοι τῆς πόλεως ὡς ἠβούλοντο καὶ ἠσθένησαν ταῖς διανοίαις αὐτῶν καὶ ἐκέκραξαν πρὸς τὸν βασιλέα μετὰ δεήσεως λέγοντες 1Mc 11:49
The people of the city saw that the Jews had taken control of the city as they pleased, and they became faint in their hearts, and they cried out to the king with supplication, saying,
- - - 50 1Mc 11:50 50 δὸς ἡμῖν δεξιὰς καὶ παυσάσθωσαν οἱ Ιουδαῖοι πολεμοῦντες ἡμᾶς καὶ τὴν πόλιν 1Mc 11:50
“Give us your right hand, and let the Jews cease from fighting against us and the city.”
- - - 51 1Mc 11:51 51 καὶ ἔρριψαν τὰ ὅπλα καὶ ἐποίησαν εἰρήνην καὶ ἐδοξάσθησαν οἱ Ιουδαῖοι ἐναντίον τοῦ βασιλέως καὶ ἐνώπιον πάντων τῶν ἐν τῇ βασιλείᾳ αὐτοῦ καὶ ἐπέστρεψαν εἰς Ιερουσαλημ ἔχοντες σκῦλα πολλά 1Mc 11:51
They threw away their weapons and made peace. The Jews were glorified in the sight of the king, and before all who were in his kingdom. Then they returned to Jerusalem, having much plunder.
- - - 52 1Mc 11:52 52 καὶ ἐκάθισεν Δημήτριος ὁ βασιλεὺς ἐπὶ θρόνου τῆς βασιλείας αὐτοῦ καὶ ἡσύχασεν ἡ γῆ ἐνώπιον αὐτοῦ 1Mc 11:52
So King Demetrius sat on the throne of his kingdom, and the land was quiet before him.
- - - 53 1Mc 11:53 53 καὶ ἐψεύσατο πάντα ὅσα εἶπεν καὶ ἠλλοτριώθη τῷ Ιωναθαν καὶ οὐκ ἀνταπέδωκεν τὰς εὐνοίας ἃς ἀνταπέδωκεν αὐτῷ καὶ ἔθλιβεν αὐτὸν σφόδρα 1Mc 11:53
He lied in all that he spoke, and estranged himself from Jonathan, and didn’t repay him according to the benefits with which he had repaid him, and treated him very harshly.
- - - 54 1Mc 11:54 54 μετὰ δὲ ταῦτα ἀπέστρεψεν Τρύφων καὶ Ἀντίοχος μετ’ αὐτοῦ παιδάριον νεώτερον καὶ ἐβασίλευσεν καὶ ἐπέθετο διάδημα 1Mc 11:54
¶Now after this, Tryphon returned, and with him the young child Antiochus, who reigned and put on a crown.
- - - 55 1Mc 11:55 55 καὶ ἐπισυνήχθησαν πρὸς αὐτὸν πᾶσαι αἱ δυνάμεις ἃς ἀπεσκοράκισεν Δημήτριος καὶ ἐπολέμησαν πρὸς αὐτόν καὶ ἔφυγεν καὶ ἐτροπώθη 1Mc 11:55
All the forces which Demetrius had sent away with disgrace were gathered to him, and they fought against him, and he fled and was routed.
- - - 56 1Mc 11:56 56 καὶ ἔλαβεν Τρύφων τὰ θηρία καὶ κατεκράτησεν τῆς Ἀντιοχείας 1Mc 11:56
Tryphon took the elephants, and took control of Antioch.
- - - 57 1Mc 11:57 57 καὶ ἔγραψεν Ἀντίοχος ὁ νεώτερος Ιωναθη λέγων ἵστημί σοι τὴν ἀρχιερωσύνην καὶ καθίστημί σε ἐπὶ τῶν τεσσάρων νομῶν καὶ εἶναί σε τῶν φίλων τοῦ βασιλέως 1Mc 11:57
The young Antiochus wrote to Jonathan, saying, “I confirm to you the high priesthood, and appoint you over the four districts, and to be one of the king’s
- - - 58 1Mc 11:58 58 καὶ ἀπέστειλεν αὐτῷ χρυσώματα καὶ διακονίαν καὶ ἔδωκεν αὐτῷ ἐξουσίαν πίνειν ἐν χρυσώμασιν καὶ εἶναι ἐν πορφύρᾳ καὶ ἔχειν πόρπην χρυσῆν 1Mc 11:58
He sent to him golden vessels and furniture for the table, and gave him permission to drink in golden vessels, and to be clothed in purple, and to have a golden buckle.
- - - 59 1Mc 11:59 59 καὶ Σιμωνα τὸν ἀδελφὸν αὐτοῦ κατέστησεν στρατηγὸν ἀπὸ τῆς κλίμακος Τύρου ἕως τῶν ὁρίων Αἰγύπτου 1Mc 11:59
He made his brother Simon governor from the Ladder of Tyre to the borders of Egypt.
- - - 60 1Mc 11:60 60 καὶ ἐξῆλθεν Ιωναθαν καὶ διεπορεύετο πέραν τοῦ ποταμοῦ καὶ ἐν ταῖς πόλεσιν καὶ ἠθροίσθησαν πρὸς αὐτὸν πᾶσα δύναμις Συρίας εἰς συμμαχίαν καὶ ἦλθεν εἰς Ἀσκαλῶνα καὶ ἀπήντησαν αὐτῷ οἱ ἐκ τῆς πόλεως ἐνδόξως 1Mc 11:60
¶Jonathan went out and took his journey beyond the river and through the cities. All the forces of Syria gathered themselves to him to be his allies. He came to Ascalon, and the people of the city met him honorably.
- - - 61 1Mc 11:61 61 καὶ ἀπῆλθεν ἐκεῖθεν εἰς Γάζαν καὶ ἀπέκλεισαν οἱ ἀπὸ Γάζης καὶ περιεκάθισεν περὶ αὐτὴν καὶ ἐνεπύρισεν τὰ περιπόλια αὐτῆς ἐν πυρὶ καὶ ἐσκύλευσεν αὐτά 1Mc 11:61
He departed from there to Gaza, and the people of Gaza shut him out. So he besieged it and burned its pasture lands with fire, and plundered them.
- - - 62 1Mc 11:62 62 καὶ ἠξίωσαν οἱ ἀπὸ Γάζης Ιωναθαν καὶ ἔδωκεν αὐτοῖς δεξιὰς καὶ ἔλαβεν τοὺς υἱοὺς τῶν ἀρχόντων αὐτῶν εἰς ὅμηρα καὶ ἐξαπέστειλεν αὐτοὺς εἰς Ιερουσαλημ καὶ διῆλθεν τὴν χώραν ἕως Δαμασκοῦ 1Mc 11:62
The people of Gaza pleaded with Jonathan, and he gave them his right hand, and took the sons of their princes for hostages, and sent them away to Jerusalem. Then he passed through the country as far as Damascus.
- - - 63 1Mc 11:63 63 καὶ ἤκουσεν Ιωναθαν ὅτι παρῆσαν οἱ ἄρχοντες Δημητρίου εἰς Κηδες τὴν ἐν τῇ Γαλιλαίᾳ μετὰ δυνάμεως πολλῆς βουλόμενοι μεταστῆσαι αὐτὸν τῆς χρείας 1Mc 11:63
¶Then Jonathan heard that Demetrius’ princes had come to Kedesh, which is in Galilee, with a great army, intending to remove him from his office.
- - - 64 1Mc 11:64 64 καὶ συνήντησεν αὐτοῖς τὸν δὲ ἀδελφὸν αὐτοῦ Σιμωνα κατέλιπεν ἐν τῇ χώρᾳ 1Mc 11:64
He went to meet them, but he left Simon his brother in the country.
- - - 65 1Mc 11:65 65 καὶ παρενέβαλεν Σιμων ἐπὶ Βαιθσουρα καὶ ἐπολέμει αὐτὴν ἡμέρας πολλὰς καὶ συνέκλεισεν αὐτήν 1Mc 11:65
Simon encamped against Bethsura, and fought against it many days, and hemmed it in.
- - - 66 1Mc 11:66 66 καὶ ἠξίωσαν αὐτὸν τοῦ δεξιὰς λαβεῖν καὶ ἔδωκεν αὐτοῖς καὶ ἐξέβαλεν αὐτοὺς ἐκεῖθεν καὶ κατελάβετο τὴν πόλιν καὶ ἔθετο ἐπ’ αὐτὴν φρουράν 1Mc 11:66
They asked him to give them his right hand, and he gave it to them. He removed them from there, took possession of the city, and set a garrison over it.
- - - 67 1Mc 11:67 67 καὶ Ιωναθαν καὶ ἡ παρεμβολὴ αὐτοῦ παρενέβαλον ἐπὶ τὸ ὕδωρ τοῦ Γεννησαρ καὶ ὤρθρισαν τὸ πρωὶ εἰς τὸ πεδίον Ασωρ 1Mc 11:67
¶Jonathan and his army encamped at the water of Gennesareth, and early in the morning they marched to the plain of Hazor.
- - - 68 1Mc 11:68 68 καὶ ἰδοὺ ἡ παρεμβολὴ ἀλλοφύλων ἀπήντα αὐτῷ ἐν τῷ πεδίῳ καὶ ἐξέβαλον ἔνεδρον ἐπ’ αὐτὸν ἐν τοῖς ὄρεσιν αὐτοὶ δὲ ἀπήντησαν ἐξ ἐναντίας 1Mc 11:68
Behold, an army of foreigners met him in the plain. They laid an ambush for him in the mountains, but they themselves met him face to face.
- - - 69 1Mc 11:69 69 τὰ δὲ ἔνεδρα ἐξανέστησαν ἐκ τῶν τόπων αὐτῶν καὶ συνῆψαν πόλεμον 1Mc 11:69
But those who lay in ambush rose out of their places and joined battle. All those who were on Jonathan’s side fled.
- - - 70 1Mc 11:70 70 καὶ ἔφυγον οἱ παρὰ Ιωναθου πάντες οὐδὲ εἷς κατελείφθη ἀπ’ αὐτῶν πλὴν Ματταθιας ὁ τοῦ Αψαλωμου καὶ Ιουδας ὁ τοῦ Χαλφι ἄρχοντες τῆς στρατιᾶς τῶν δυνάμεων 1Mc 11:70
Not one of them was left, except Mattathias the son of Absalom, and Judas the son of Chalphi, captains of the forces.
- - - 71 1Mc 11:71 71 καὶ διέρρηξεν Ιωναθαν τὰ ἱμάτια αὐτοῦ καὶ ἐπέθετο γῆν ἐπὶ τὴν κεφαλὴν αὐτοῦ καὶ προσηύξατο 1Mc 11:71
Jonathan tore his clothes, put dirt on his head, and prayed.
- - - 72 1Mc 11:72 72 καὶ ὑπέστρεψεν πρὸς αὐτοὺς πολέμῳ καὶ ἐτροπώσατο αὐτούς καὶ ἔφυγον 1Mc 11:72
He turned again to them in battle, and routed them, and they fled.
- - - 73 1Mc 11:73 73 καὶ εἶδον οἱ φεύγοντες παρ’ αὐτοῦ καὶ ἐπέστρεψαν ἐπ’ αὐτὸν καὶ ἐδίωκον μετ’ αὐτοῦ ἕως Κεδες ἕως τῆς παρεμβολῆς αὐτῶν καὶ παρενέβαλον ἐκεῖ 1Mc 11:73
When the men on his side who had fled saw this, they returned to him and pursued with him to Kedesh to their camp, and they encamped there.
- - - 74 1Mc 11:74 74 καὶ ἔπεσον ἐκ τῶν ἀλλοφύλων ἐν τῇ ἡμέρᾳ ἐκείνῃ εἰς ἄνδρας τρισχιλίους καὶ ἐπέστρεψεν Ιωναθαν εἰς Ιερουσαλημ 1Mc 11:74
About three thousand men of the foreigners fell on that day. Then Jonathan returned to Jerusalem.
- - -
Match Diacritics KEYMAP Wildcard