Μακκαβαίων Αʹ 1 Maccabees
CATSS LXX Wiki Latin Translation LXX / Vulgata Clementina Westminster Leningrad Codex Wiki Latin Translation HB / Vulgata Clementina 1 1Mc 13:1 1 καὶ ἤκουσεν Σιμων ὅτι συνήγαγεν Τρύφων δύναμιν πολλὴν τοῦ ἐλθεῖν εἰς γῆν Ιουδα καὶ ἐκτρῖψαι αὐτήν 1Mc 13:1
¶Simon heard that Tryphon had gathered together a mighty army to come into the land of Judah and destroy it utterly.
- - - 2 1Mc 13:2 2 καὶ εἶδεν τὸν λαόν ὅτι ἔντρομός ἐστιν καὶ ἔκφοβος καὶ ἀνέβη εἰς Ιερουσαλημ καὶ ἤθροισεν τὸν λαὸν 1Mc 13:2
He saw that the people were trembling in great fear. So he went up to Jerusalem and gathered the people together.
- - - 3 1Mc 13:3 3 καὶ παρεκάλεσεν αὐτοὺς καὶ εἶπεν αὐτοῖς αὐτοὶ οἴδατε ὅσα ἐγὼ καὶ οἱ ἀδελφοί μου καὶ ὁ οἶκος τοῦ πατρός μου ἐποιήσαμεν περὶ τῶν νόμων καὶ τῶν ἁγίων καὶ τοὺς πολέμους καὶ τὰς στενοχωρίας ἃς εἴδομεν 1Mc 13:3
He encouraged them, and said to them, “You yourselves know all the things that I, my kindred, and my father’s house have done for the laws and the sanctuary, and the battles and the distresses which we have seen.
- - - 4 1Mc 13:4 4 τούτου χάριν ἀπώλοντο οἱ ἀδελφοί μου πάντες χάριν τοῦ Ισραηλ καὶ κατελείφθην ἐγὼ μόνος 1Mc 13:4
Because of this, all my brothers have perished for Israel’s sake, and I am left alone.
- - - 5 1Mc 13:5 5 καὶ νῦν μή μοι γένοιτο φείσασθαί μου τῆς ψυχῆς ἐν παντὶ καιρῷ θλίψεως οὐ γάρ εἰμι κρείσσων τῶν ἀδελφῶν μου 1Mc 13:5
Now be it far from me, that I should spare my own life in any time of affliction, for I am not better than my kindred.
- - - 6 1Mc 13:6 6 πλὴν ἐκδικήσω περὶ τοῦ ἔθνους μου καὶ περὶ τῶν ἁγίων καὶ περὶ τῶν γυναικῶν καὶ τέκνων ὑμῶν ὅτι συνήχθησαν πάντα τὰ ἔθνη ἐκτρῖψαι ἡμᾶς ἔχθρας χάριν 1Mc 13:6
However, I will take vengeance for my nation, for the sanctuary, and for our wives and children, because all the Gentiles have gathered out of hatred to destroy us.”
- - - 7 1Mc 13:7 7 καὶ ἀνεζωπύρησεν τὸ πνεῦμα τοῦ λαοῦ ἅμα τοῦ ἀκοῦσαι τῶν λόγων τούτων 1Mc 13:7
¶The spirit of the people revived as soon as they heard these words.
- - - 8 1Mc 13:8 8 καὶ ἀπεκρίθησαν φωνῇ μεγάλῃ λέγοντες σὺ εἶ ἡμῶν ἡγούμενος ἀντὶ Ιουδου καὶ Ιωναθου τοῦ ἀδελφοῦ σου 1Mc 13:8
They answered with a loud voice, saying, “You are our leader in the place of Judas and Jonathan your brothers.
- - - 9 1Mc 13:9 9 πολέμησον τὸν πόλεμον ἡμῶν καὶ πάντα ὅσα ἂν εἴπῃς ἡμῖν ποιήσομεν 1Mc 13:9
Fight our battles, and we will do all that you tell us to do.”
- - - 10 1Mc 13:10 10 καὶ συνήγαγεν πάντας τοὺς ἄνδρας τοὺς πολεμιστὰς καὶ ἐτάχυνεν τοῦ τελέσαι τὰ τείχη Ιερουσαλημ καὶ ὠχύρωσεν αὐτὴν κυκλόθεν 1Mc 13:10
¶He gathered together all the men of war, and hurried to finish the walls of Jerusalem. He fortified it all around.
- - - 11 1Mc 13:11 11 καὶ ἀπέστειλεν Ιωναθαν τὸν τοῦ Αψαλωμου καὶ μετ’ αὐτοῦ δύναμιν ἱκανὴν εἰς Ιοππην καὶ ἐξέβαλεν τοὺς ὄντας ἐν αὐτῇ καὶ ἔμεινεν ἐκεῖ ἐν αὐτῇ 1Mc 13:11
He sent Jonathan the son of Absalom, and with him a great army, to Joppa. He threw out those who were in it, and lived there.
- - - 12 1Mc 13:12 12 καὶ ἀπῆρεν Τρύφων ἀπὸ Πτολεμαίδος μετὰ δυνάμεως πολλῆς ἐλθεῖν εἰς γῆν Ιουδα καὶ Ιωναθαν μετ’ αὐτοῦ ἐν φυλακῇ 1Mc 13:12
¶Tryphon left Ptolemais with a mighty army to enter into the land of Judah, and Jonathan was with him under guard.
- - - 13 1Mc 13:13 13 Σιμων δὲ παρενέβαλεν ἐν Αδιδοις κατὰ πρόσωπον τοῦ πεδίου 1Mc 13:13
But Simon encamped at Adida, near the plain.
- - - 14 1Mc 13:14 14 καὶ ἐπέγνω Τρύφων ὅτι ἀνέστη Σιμων ἀντὶ Ιωναθου τοῦ ἀδελφοῦ αὐτοῦ καὶ ὅτι συνάπτειν αὐτῷ μέλλει πόλεμον καὶ ἀπέστειλεν πρὸς αὐτὸν πρέσβεις λέγων 1Mc 13:14
Tryphon knew that Simon had risen up in the place of his brother Jonathan, and meant to join battle with him, so he sent ambassadors to him, saying,
- - - 15 1Mc 13:15 15 περὶ ἀργυρίου οὗ ὤφειλεν Ιωναθαν ὁ ἀδελφός σου εἰς τὸ βασιλικὸν δι’ ἃς εἶχεν χρείας συνέχομεν αὐτόν 1Mc 13:15
“It is for money which Jonathan your brother owed to the king’s treasury, by reason of the offices which he had, that we are detaining him.
- - - 16 1Mc 13:16 16 καὶ νῦν ἀπόστειλον ἀργυρίου τάλαντα ἑκατὸν καὶ δύο τῶν υἱῶν αὐτοῦ ὅμηρα ὅπως μὴ ἀφεθεὶς ἀποστατήσῃ ἀφ’ ἡμῶν καὶ ἀφήσομεν αὐτόν 1Mc 13:16
Now send one hundred talents of silver and two of his sons for hostages, so that when he is released he may not revolt against us, and we will release him.”
- - - 17 1Mc 13:17 17 καὶ ἔγνω Σιμων ὅτι δόλῳ λαλοῦσιν πρὸς αὐτόν καὶ πέμπει τοῦ λαβεῖν τὸ ἀργύριον καὶ τὰ παιδάρια μήποτε ἔχθραν ἄρῃ μεγάλην πρὸς τὸν λαὸν 1Mc 13:17
¶Simon knew that they spoke to him deceitfully, but he sent to get the money and the children, lest perhaps he would arouse great hostility among the people,
- - - 18 1Mc 13:18 18 λέγοντες ὅτι οὐκ ἀπέστειλα αὐτῷ τὸ ἀργύριον καὶ τὰ παιδάρια ἀπώλετο 1Mc 13:18
who might say, “Because I didn’t send him the money and the children, he perished.”
- - - 19 1Mc 13:19 19 καὶ ἀπέστειλεν τὰ παιδάρια καὶ τὰ ἑκατὸν τάλαντα καὶ διεψεύσατο καὶ οὐκ ἀφῆκεν τὸν Ιωναθαν 1Mc 13:19
So he sent the children and the hundred talents, but Tryphon lied, and didn’t release Jonathan.
- - - 20 1Mc 13:20 20 καὶ μετὰ ταῦτα ἦλθεν Τρύφων τοῦ ἐμβατεῦσαι εἰς τὴν χώραν καὶ ἐκτρῖψαι αὐτήν καὶ ἐκύκλωσαν ὁδὸν τὴν εἰς Αδωρα καὶ Σιμων καὶ ἡ παρεμβολὴ αὐτοῦ ἀντιπαρῆγεν αὐτῷ εἰς πάντα τόπον οὗ ἂν ἐπορεύετο 1Mc 13:20
¶After this, Tryphon came to invade the land and destroy it, and he went around by the way that leads to Adora. Simon and his army marched near him to every place, wherever he went.
- - - 21 1Mc 13:21 21 οἱ δὲ ἐκ τῆς ἄκρας ἀπέστελλον πρὸς Τρύφωνα πρεσβευτὰς κατασπεύδοντας αὐτὸν τοῦ ἐλθεῖν πρὸς αὐτοὺς διὰ τῆς ἐρήμου καὶ ἀποστεῖλαι αὐτοῖς τροφάς 1Mc 13:21
Now the people of the citadel sent to Tryphon ambassadors, urging him to come to them through the wilderness, and to send them food.
- - - 22 1Mc 13:22 22 καὶ ἡτοίμασεν Τρύφων πᾶσαν τὴν ἵππον αὐτοῦ ἐλθεῖν καὶ ἐν τῇ νυκτὶ ἐκείνῃ ἦν χιὼν πολλὴ σφόδρα καὶ οὐκ ἦλθεν διὰ τὴν χιόνα καὶ ἀπῆρεν καὶ ἦλθεν εἰς τὴν Γαλααδῖτιν 1Mc 13:22
So Tryphon prepared all his cavalry to come, but on that night a very heavy snow fell, and he didn’t come because of the snow. He marched off and went into the land of Gilead.
- - - 23 1Mc 13:23 23 ὡς δὲ ἤγγισεν τῆς Βασκαμα ἀπέκτεινεν τὸν Ιωναθαν καὶ ἐτάφη ἐκεῖ 1Mc 13:23
When he came near to Bascama, he killed Jonathan, and he was buried there.
- - - 24 1Mc 13:24 24 καὶ ἐπέστρεψεν Τρύφων καὶ ἀπῆλθεν εἰς τὴν γῆν αὐτοῦ 1Mc 13:24
Then Tryphon turned back, and went away into his own land.
- - - 25 1Mc 13:25 25 καὶ ἀπέστειλεν Σιμων καὶ ἔλαβεν τὰ ὀστᾶ Ιωναθου τοῦ ἀδελφοῦ αὐτοῦ καὶ ἔθαψεν αὐτὸν ἐν Μωδεϊν πόλει τῶν πατέρων αὐτοῦ 1Mc 13:25
¶Simon sent, and took the bones of Jonathan his brother, and buried him at Modin, the city of his fathers.
- - - 26 1Mc 13:26 26 καὶ ἐκόψαντο αὐτὸν πᾶς Ισραηλ κοπετὸν μέγαν καὶ ἐπένθησαν αὐτὸν ἡμέρας πολλάς 1Mc 13:26
All Israel made great lamentation over him, and mourned for him many days.
- - - 27 1Mc 13:27 27 καὶ ᾠκοδόμησεν Σιμων ἐπὶ τὸν τάφον τοῦ πατρὸς αὐτοῦ καὶ τῶν ἀδελφῶν αὐτοῦ καὶ ὕψωσεν αὐτὸν τῇ ὁράσει λίθῳ ξεστῷ ἐκ τῶν ὄπισθεν καὶ ἔμπροσθεν 1Mc 13:27
Simon built a monument on the tomb of his father and his kindred, and raised it high so that it could be seen, with polished stone on the front and back.
- - - 28 1Mc 13:28 28 καὶ ἔστησεν ἑπτὰ πυραμίδας μίαν κατέναντι τῆς μιᾶς τῷ πατρὶ καὶ τῇ μητρὶ καὶ τοῖς τέσσαρσιν ἀδελφοῖς 1Mc 13:28
He also set up seven pyramids, one near another, for his father, his mother, and his four brothers.
- - - 29 1Mc 13:29 29 καὶ ταύταις ἐποίησεν μηχανήματα περιθεὶς στύλους μεγάλους καὶ ἐποίησεν ἐπὶ τοῖς στύλοις πανοπλίας εἰς ὄνομα αἰώνιον καὶ παρὰ ταῖς πανοπλίαις πλοῖα ἐγγεγλυμμένα εἰς τὸ θεωρεῖσθαι ὑπὸ πάντων τῶν πλεόντων τὴν θάλασσαν 1Mc 13:29
For these, he made an elaborate setting, erecting great pillars around them, and upon the pillars he made suits of armor for a perpetual memorial, and beside the suits of armor, he carved ships, so that they could be seen by all who sail on the sea.
- - - 30 1Mc 13:30 30 οὗτος ὁ τάφος ὃν ἐποίησεν ἐν Μωδεϊν ἕως τῆς ἡμέρας ταύτης 1Mc 13:30
This is the tomb which he made at Modin. It remains to this day.
- - - 31 1Mc 13:31 31 ὁ δὲ Τρύφων ἐπορεύετο δόλῳ μετὰ Ἀντιόχου τοῦ βασιλέως τοῦ νεωτέρου καὶ ἀπέκτεινεν αὐτὸν 1Mc 13:31
¶Now Tryphon deceived the young King Antiochus and killed him,
- - - 32 1Mc 13:32 32 καὶ ἐβασίλευσεν ἀντ’ αὐτοῦ καὶ περιέθετο τὸ διάδημα τῆς Ἀσίας καὶ ἐποίησεν πληγὴν μεγάλην ἐπὶ τῆς γῆς 1Mc 13:32
and reigned in his place. He put on himself the crown of Asia and brought a great calamity upon the land.
- - - 33 1Mc 13:33 33 καὶ ᾠκοδόμησεν Σιμων τὰ ὀχυρώματα τῆς Ιουδαίας καὶ περιετείχισεν πύργοις ὑψηλοῖς καὶ τείχεσιν μεγάλοις καὶ πύλαις καὶ μοχλοῖς καὶ ἔθετο βρώματα ἐν τοῖς ὀχυρώμασιν 1Mc 13:33
Simon built up the strongholds of Judea, and walled them all around with high towers, great walls, gates, and bars; and he stored food in the strongholds.
- - - 34 1Mc 13:34 34 καὶ ἐπέλεξεν Σιμων ἄνδρας καὶ ἀπέστειλεν πρὸς Δημήτριον τὸν βασιλέα τοῦ ποιῆσαι ἄφεσιν τῇ χώρᾳ ὅτι πᾶσαι αἱ πράξεις Τρύφωνος ἦσαν ἁρπαγαί 1Mc 13:34
Simon chose men, and sent to King Demetrius with a request that he grant the country an immunity, because all that Tryphon did was to plunder.
- - - 35 1Mc 13:35 35 καὶ ἀπέστειλεν αὐτῷ Δημήτριος ὁ βασιλεὺς κατὰ τοὺς λόγους τούτους καὶ ἀπεκρίθη αὐτῷ καὶ ἔγραψεν αὐτῷ ἐπιστολὴν τοιαύτην 1Mc 13:35
King Demetrius sent to him according to these words, and answered him, and wrote a letter to him, as follows:
- - - 36 1Mc 13:36 36 βασιλεὺς Δημήτριος Σιμωνι ἀρχιερεῖ καὶ φίλῳ βασιλέων καὶ πρεσβυτέροις καὶ ἔθνει Ιουδαίων χαίρειν 1Mc 13:36
¶“King Demetrius to Simon the high priest and friend
of kings, and to the elders and nation of the Jews, greetings.
- - - 37 1Mc 13:37 37 τὸν στέφανον τὸν χρυσοῦν καὶ τὴν βαΐνην ἣν ἀπεστείλατε κεκομίσμεθα καὶ ἕτοιμοί ἐσμεν τοῦ ποιεῖν ὑμῖν εἰρήνην μεγάλην καὶ γράφειν τοῖς ἐπὶ τῶν χρειῶν τοῦ ἀφιέναι ὑμῖν τὰ ἀφέματα 1Mc 13:37
The golden crown and the palm branch, which you sent, we have received. We are ready to make a steadfast peace with you, yes, and to write to our officers to release you from tribute.
- - - 38 1Mc 13:38 38 καὶ ὅσα ἐστήσαμεν πρὸς ὑμᾶς ἕστηκεν καὶ τὰ ὀχυρώματα ἃ ᾠκοδομήσατε ὑπαρχέτω ὑμῖν 1Mc 13:38
Whatever things we confirmed to you, they are confirmed. The strongholds, which you have built, let them be your own.
- - - 39 1Mc 13:39 39 ἀφίεμεν δὲ ἀγνοήματα καὶ τὰ ἁμαρτήματα ἕως τῆς σήμερον ἡμέρας καὶ τὸν στέφανον ὃν ὠφείλετε καὶ εἴ τι ἄλλο ἐτελωνεῖτο ἐν Ιερουσαλημ μηκέτι τελωνείσθω 1Mc 13:39
As for any oversights and faults committed to this day, we forgive them, and the crown tax which you owed us. If there were any other tax collected in Jerusalem, let it be collected no longer.
- - - 40 1Mc 13:40 40 καὶ εἴ τινες ἐπιτήδειοι ὑμῶν γραφῆναι εἰς τοὺς περὶ ἡμᾶς ἐγγραφέσθωσαν καὶ γινέσθω ἀνὰ μέσον ἡμῶν εἰρήνη 1Mc 13:40
If any among you are qualified to be enrolled in our court, let them be enrolled, and let there be peace between us.”
- - - 41 1Mc 13:41 41 ἔτους ἑβδομηκοστοῦ καὶ ἑκατοστοῦ ἤρθη ὁ ζυγὸς τῶν ἐθνῶν ἀπὸ τοῦ Ισραηλ 1Mc 13:41
¶In the one hundred seventieth year,
the yoke of the Gentiles was taken away from Israel.
- - - 42 1Mc 13:42 42 καὶ ἤρξατο ὁ λαὸς γράφειν ἐν ταῖς συγγραφαῖς καὶ συναλλάγμασιν ἔτους πρώτου ἐπὶ Σιμωνος ἀρχιερέως μεγάλου καὶ στρατηγοῦ καὶ ἡγουμένου Ιουδαίων 1Mc 13:42
The people began to write in their instruments and contracts, “In the first year of Simon, the great high priest and captain and leader of the Jews.”
- - - 43 1Mc 13:43 43 ἐν ταῖς ἡμέραις ἐκείναις παρενέβαλεν ἐπὶ Γαζαρα καὶ ἐκύκλωσεν αὐτὴν παρεμβολαῖς καὶ ἐποίησεν ἑλεόπολιν καὶ προσήγαγεν τῇ πόλει καὶ ἐπάταξεν πύργον ἕνα καὶ κατελάβετο 1Mc 13:43
¶In those days Simon encamped against
Gazara, and surrounded it with troops. He made a seige engine, and brought it up to the city, and struck a tower, and captured it.
- - - 44 1Mc 13:44 44 καὶ ἐξήλλοντο οἱ ἐν τῇ ἑλεοπόλει εἰς τὴν πόλιν καὶ ἐγένετο κίνημα μέγα ἐν τῇ πόλει 1Mc 13:44
Those who were in the engine leaped out into the city; and there was a great uproar in the city.
- - - 45 1Mc 13:45 45 καὶ ἀνέβησαν οἱ ἐν τῇ πόλει σὺν γυναιξὶν καὶ τοῖς τέκνοις ἐπὶ τὸ τεῖχος διερρηχότες τὰ ἱμάτια αὐτῶν καὶ ἐβόησαν φωνῇ μεγάλῃ ἀξιοῦντες Σιμωνα δεξιὰς αὐτοῖς δοῦναι 1Mc 13:45
The people of the city tore their clothes, and went up on the walls with their wives and children, and cried with a loud voice, asking Simon to give them
his right hand.
- - - 46 1Mc 13:46 46 καὶ εἶπαν μὴ ἡμῖν χρήσῃ κατὰ τὰς πονηρίας ἡμῶν ἀλλὰ κατὰ τὸ ἔλεός σου 1Mc 13:46
They said, “Don’t deal with us according to our wickednesses, but according to your mercy.”
- - - 47 1Mc 13:47 47 καὶ συνελύθη αὐτοῖς Σιμων καὶ οὐκ ἐπολέμησεν αὐτούς καὶ ἐξέβαλεν αὐτοὺς ἐκ τῆς πόλεως καὶ ἐκαθάρισεν τὰς οἰκίας ἐν αἷς ἦν τὰ εἴδωλα καὶ οὕτως εἰσῆλθεν εἰς αὐτὴν ὑμνῶν καὶ εὐλογῶν 1Mc 13:47
So Simon was reconciled to them, and didn’t fight against them; but he expelled them from the city and cleansed the houses where the idols were, and then entered into it with singing and giving praise.
- - - 48 1Mc 13:48 48 καὶ ἐξέβαλεν ἐξ αὐτῆς πᾶσαν ἀκαθαρσίαν καὶ κατῴκισεν ἐν αὐτῇ ἄνδρας οἵτινες τὸν νόμον ποιήσωσιν καὶ προσωχύρωσεν αὐτὴν καὶ ᾠκοδόμησεν ἑαυτῷ ἐν αὐτῇ οἴκησιν 1Mc 13:48
He removed all uncleanness out of it, and placed in it men who would keep the law, and made it stronger than it was before, and built a dwelling place for himself in it.
- - - 49 1Mc 13:49 49 οἱ δὲ ἐκ τῆς ἄκρας ἐν Ιερουσαλημ ἐκωλύοντο ἐκπορεύεσθαι καὶ εἰσπορεύεσθαι εἰς τὴν χώραν ἀγοράζειν καὶ πωλεῖν καὶ ἐπείνασαν σφόδρα καὶ ἀπώλοντο ἐξ αὐτῶν ἱκανοὶ τῷ λιμῷ 1Mc 13:49
¶But the people of the citadel in Jerusalem were hindered from going out and from going into the country, and from buying and selling. So they were very hungry, and a great number of them perished from famine.
- - - 50 1Mc 13:50 50 καὶ ἐβόησαν πρὸς Σιμωνα δεξιὰς λαβεῖν καὶ ἔδωκεν αὐτοῖς καὶ ἐξέβαλεν αὐτοὺς ἐκεῖθεν καὶ ἐκαθάρισεν τὴν ἄκραν ἀπὸ τῶν μιασμάτων 1Mc 13:50
Then they cried out to Simon, that he should give them his right hand; and he gave it to them; but he expelled them from there, and he cleansed the citadel from its pollutions.
- - - 51 1Mc 13:51 51 καὶ εἰσῆλθον εἰς αὐτὴν τῇ τρίτῃ καὶ εἰκάδι τοῦ δευτέρου μηνὸς ἔτους πρώτου καὶ ἑβδομηκοστοῦ καὶ ἑκατοστοῦ μετὰ αἰνέσεως καὶ βαΐων καὶ ἐν κινύραις καὶ ἐν κυμβάλοις καὶ ἐν νάβλαις καὶ ἐν ὕμνοις καὶ ἐν ᾠδαῖς ὅτι συνετρίβη ἐχθρὸς μέγας ἐξ Ισραηλ 1Mc 13:51
He entered into it on the twenty-third day of the second month, in the one hundred seventy-first year,
with praise and palm branches, with harps, with cymbals, and with stringed instruments, with hymns, and with songs, because a great enemy had been destroyed out of Israel.
- - - 52 1Mc 13:52 52 καὶ ἔστησεν κατ’ ἐνιαυτὸν τοῦ ἄγειν τὴν ἡμέραν ταύτην μετὰ εὐφροσύνης καὶ προσωχύρωσεν τὸ ὄρος τοῦ ἱεροῦ τὸ παρὰ τὴν ἄκραν καὶ ᾤκει ἐκεῖ αὐτὸς καὶ οἱ παρ’ αὐτοῦ 1Mc 13:52
Simon ordained that they should keep that day every year with gladness. He made the hill of the temple that was by the citadel stronger than before, and he lived there with his men.
- - - 53 1Mc 13:53 53 καὶ εἶδεν Σιμων τὸν Ιωαννην υἱὸν αὐτοῦ ὅτι ἀνήρ ἐστιν καὶ ἔθετο αὐτὸν ἡγούμενον τῶν δυνάμεων πασῶν καὶ ᾤκει ἐν Γαζαροις 1Mc 13:53
Simon saw that his son John was a man, so he made him leader of all his forces; and he lived in Gazara.
- - -
Match Diacritics KEYMAP Wildcard