Μακκαβαίων Αʹ 1 Maccabees
CATSS LXX Wiki Latin Translation LXX / Vulgata Clementina Westminster Leningrad Codex Wiki Latin Translation HB / Vulgata Clementina 1 1Mc 15:1 1 καὶ ἀπέστειλεν Ἀντίοχος υἱὸς Δημητρίου τοῦ βασιλέως ἐπιστολὰς ἀπὸ τῶν νήσων τῆς θαλάσσης Σιμωνι ἱερεῖ καὶ ἐθνάρχῃ τῶν Ιουδαίων καὶ παντὶ τῷ ἔθνει 1Mc 15:1
¶Antiochus son of Demetrius the king sent a letter from the islands of the sea to Simon the priest and
governor of the Jews, and to all the nation.
- - - 2 1Mc 15:2 2 καὶ ἦσαν περιέχουσαι τὸν τρόπον τοῦτον βασιλεὺς Ἀντίοχος Σίμωνι ἱερεῖ μεγάλῳ καὶ ἐθνάρχῃ καὶ ἔθνει Ιουδαίων χαίρειν 1Mc 15:2
Its contents follow: ¶“King Antiochus to Simon the chief priest and
governor, and to the nation of the Jews, greetings.
- - - 3 1Mc 15:3 3 ἐπεί τινες λοιμοὶ κατεκράτησαν τῆς βασιλείας τῶν πατέρων ἡμῶν βούλομαι δὲ ἀντιποιήσασθαι τῆς βασιλείας ὅπως ἀποκαταστήσω αὐτὴν ὡς ἦν τὸ πρότερον ἐξενολόγησα δὲ πλῆθος δυνάμεων καὶ κατεσκεύασα πλοῖα πολεμικά 1Mc 15:3
Whereas certain troublemakers have made themselves masters of the kingdom of our fathers, but my purpose is to claim the kingdom, that I may restore it as it was before; and moreover I have raised a multitude of foreign soldiers, and have prepared warships; Forasmuch as certain troublemakers have made themselves masters of
the kingdom of our fathers, but my purpose is to claim the kingdom, that
I may restore it as it was before; and moreover I have raised a
multitude of foreign soldiers, and have prepared ships of war;
- - - 4 1Mc 15:4 4 βούλομαι δὲ ἐκβῆναι κατὰ τὴν χώραν ὅπως μετέλθω τοὺς κατεφθαρκότας τὴν χώραν ἡμῶν καὶ τοὺς ἠρημωκότας πόλεις πολλὰς ἐν τῇ βασιλείᾳ μου 1Mc 15:4
moreover I plan to land in the country, that I may punish those who have destroyed our country, and those who have made many cities in the kingdom desolate;
- - - 5 1Mc 15:5 5 νῦν οὖν ἵστημί σοι πάντα τὰ ἀφέματα ἃ ἀφῆκάν σοι οἱ πρὸ ἐμοῦ βασιλεῖς καὶ ὅσα ἄλλα δόματα ἀφῆκάν σοι 1Mc 15:5
now therefore I confirm to you all the tax remissions which the kings who were before me remitted to you, and whatever gifts besides they remitted to you,
- - - 6 1Mc 15:6 6 καὶ ἐπέτρεψά σοι ποιῆσαι κόμμα ἴδιον νόμισμα τῇ χώρᾳ σου 1Mc 15:6
and I permit you to coin money for your country with your own stamp,
- - - 7 1Mc 15:7 7 Ιερουσαλημ δὲ καὶ τὰ ἅγια εἶναι ἐλεύθερα καὶ πάντα τὰ ὅπλα ὅσα κατεσκεύασας καὶ τὰ ὀχυρώματα ἃ ᾠκοδόμησας ὧν κρατεῖς μενέτω σοι 1Mc 15:7
but that Jerusalem and the sanctuary should be free. All the weapons that you have prepared, and the strongholds that you have built, which you have in your possession, let them remain yours. but that Jerusalem and the sanctuary should be free. All the
weapons that you have prepared, and the strongholds that you have built,
which you have in your possession, let them remain yours.
- - - 8 1Mc 15:8 8 καὶ πᾶν ὀφείλημα βασιλικὸν καὶ τὰ ἐσόμενα βασιλικὰ ἀπὸ τοῦ νῦν καὶ εἰς τὸν ἅπαντα χρόνον ἀφιέσθω σοι 1Mc 15:8
Every debt owed to the king, and the things that will be owed to the king from henceforth and for evermore, let them be remitted to you.
- - - 9 1Mc 15:9 9 ὡς δ’ ἂν κρατήσωμεν τῆς βασιλείας ἡμῶν δοξάσομέν σε καὶ τὸ ἔθνος σου καὶ τὸ ἱερὸν δόξῃ μεγάλῃ ὥστε φανερὰν γενέσθαι τὴν δόξαν ὑμῶν ἐν πάσῃ τῇ γῇ 1Mc 15:9
Moreover, when we have established our kingdom, we will glorify you and your nation and the temple with great glory, so that your glory will be made manifest in all the earth.
- - - 10 1Mc 15:10 10 ἔτους τετάρτου καὶ ἑβδομηκοστοῦ καὶ ἑκατοστοῦ ἐξῆλθεν Ἀντίοχος εἰς τὴν γῆν τῶν πατέρων αὐτοῦ καὶ συνῆλθον πρὸς αὐτὸν πᾶσαι αἱ δυνάμεις ὥστε ὀλίγους εἶναι σὺν Τρύφωνι 1Mc 15:10
¶In the one hundred seventy-fourth year,
Antiochus went into the land of his fathers; and all the forces came together to him, so that there were few men with Tryphon.
- - - 11 1Mc 15:11 11 καὶ ἐδίωξεν αὐτὸν Ἀντίοχος καὶ ἦλθεν εἰς Δωρα φεύγων τὴν ἐπὶ θαλάσσης 1Mc 15:11
King Antiochus pursued him, and he came, as he fled, to Dor, which is by the sea;
- - - 12 1Mc 15:12 12 ᾔδει γὰρ ὅτι ἐπισυνῆκται ἐπ’ αὐτὸν τὰ κακά καὶ ἀφῆκαν αὐτὸν αἱ δυνάμεις 1Mc 15:12
for he knew that troubles had come upon him all at once, and that his forces had deserted him.
- - - 13 1Mc 15:13 13 καὶ παρενέβαλεν Ἀντίοχος ἐπὶ Δωρα καὶ σὺν αὐτῷ δώδεκα μυριάδες ἀνδρῶν πολεμιστῶν καὶ ὀκτακισχιλία ἵππος 1Mc 15:13
Antiochus encamped against Dor, and with him one hundred twenty thousand men of war and eight thousand cavalry.
- - - 14 1Mc 15:14 14 καὶ ἐκύκλωσεν τὴν πόλιν καὶ τὰ πλοῖα ἀπὸ θαλάσσης συνῆψαν καὶ ἔθλιβε τὴν πόλιν ἀπὸ τῆς γῆς καὶ τῆς θαλάσσης καὶ οὐκ εἴασεν οὐδένα ἐκπορεύεσθαι οὐδὲ εἰσπορεύεσθαι 1Mc 15:14
He surrounded the city, and the ships joined in the attack from the sea. He harassed the city by land and sea, and permitted no one to go out or in.
- - - 15 1Mc 15:15 15 καὶ ἦλθεν Νουμήνιος καὶ οἱ παρ’ αὐτοῦ ἐκ Ῥώμης ἔχοντες ἐπιστολὰς τοῖς βασιλεῦσιν καὶ ταῖς χώραις ἐν αἷς ἐγέγραπτο τάδε 1Mc 15:15
¶Numenius and his company came from Rome, having letters to the kings and to the countries, in which were written these things:
- - - 16 1Mc 15:16 16 Λεύκιος ὕπατος Ῥωμαίων Πτολεμαίῳ βασιλεῖ χαίρειν 1Mc 15:16
¶“Lucius, consul of the Romans, to King Ptolemy, greetings.
- - - 17 1Mc 15:17 17 οἱ πρεσβευταὶ τῶν Ιουδαίων ἦλθον πρὸς ἡμᾶς φίλοι ἡμῶν καὶ σύμμαχοι ἀνανεούμενοι τὴν ἐξ ἀρχῆς φιλίαν καὶ συμμαχίαν ἀπεσταλμένοι ἀπὸ Σιμωνος τοῦ ἀρχιερέως καὶ τοῦ δήμου τῶν Ιουδαίων 1Mc 15:17
The Jews’ ambassadors came to us as our friends and allies, to renew the old friendship and alliance, being sent from Simon the high priest, and from the people of the Jews.
- - - 18 1Mc 15:18 18 ἤνεγκαν δὲ ἀσπίδα χρυσῆν ἀπὸ μνῶν χιλίων 1Mc 15:18
Moreover they brought a shield of gold weighing one thousand minas.
* - - - 19 1Mc 15:19 19 ἤρεσεν οὖν ἡμῖν γράψαι τοῖς βασιλεῦσιν καὶ ταῖς χώραις ὅπως μὴ ἐκζητήσωσιν αὐτοῖς κακὰ καὶ μὴ πολεμήσωσιν αὐτοὺς καὶ τὰς πόλεις αὐτῶν καὶ τὴν χώραν αὐτῶν καὶ ἵνα μὴ συμμαχῶσιν τοῖς πολεμοῦσιν πρὸς αὐτούς 1Mc 15:19
It pleased us therefore to write to the kings and to the countries, that they should not seek their harm or fight against them, their cities, and their country, or be allies with those who fight against them.
- - - 20 1Mc 15:20 20 ἔδοξεν δὲ ἡμῖν δέξασθαι τὴν ἀσπίδα παρ’ αὐτῶν 1Mc 15:20
Moreover, it seemed good to us to receive the shield from them.
- - - 21 1Mc 15:21 21 εἴ τινες οὖν λοιμοὶ διαπεφεύγασιν ἐκ τῆς χώρας αὐτῶν πρὸς ὑμᾶς παράδοτε αὐτοὺς Σιμωνι τῷ ἀρχιερεῖ ὅπως ἐκδικήσῃ αὐτοὺς κατὰ τὸν νόμον αὐτῶν 1Mc 15:21
If therefore any troublemakers have fled from their country to you, deliver them to Simon the high priest, that he may take vengeance on them according to their law.”
- - - 22 1Mc 15:22 22 καὶ ταὐτὰ ἔγραψεν Δημητρίῳ τῷ βασιλεῖ καὶ Ἀττάλῳ καὶ Ἀριαράθῃ καὶ Ἀρσάκῃ 1Mc 15:22
¶He wrote the same things to King Demetrius, to Attalus, to Arathes, to Arsaces,
- - - 23 1Mc 15:23 23 καὶ εἰς πάσας τὰς χώρας καὶ Σαμψάμῃ καὶ Σπαρτιάταις καὶ εἰς Δῆλον καὶ εἰς Μύνδον καὶ εἰς Σικυῶνα καὶ εἰς τὴν Καρίαν καὶ εἰς Σάμον καὶ εἰς τὴν Παμφυλίαν καὶ εἰς Λυκίαν καὶ εἰς Ἁλικαρνασσὸν καὶ εἰς Ῥόδον καὶ εἰς Φασηλίδα καὶ εἰς Κῶ καὶ εἰς Σίδην καὶ εἰς Ἄραδον καὶ Γόρτυναν καὶ Κνίδον καὶ Κύπρον καὶ Κυρήνην 1Mc 15:23
to all the countries, to
Sampsames, to the Spartans, to Delos, to Myndos, to Sicyon, to Caria, to Samos, to Pamphylia, to Lycia, to Halicarnassus, to Rhodes, to Phaselis, to Cos, to Side, to Aradus, Gortyna, Cnidus, Cyprus, and Cyrene.
- - - 24 1Mc 15:24 24 τὸ δὲ ἀντίγραφον τούτων ἔγραψαν Σιμωνι τῷ ἀρχιερεῖ 1Mc 15:24
They also wrote this copy to Simon the high priest.
- - - 25 1Mc 15:25 25 ἀντίοχος δὲ ὁ βασιλεὺς παρενέβαλεν ἐπὶ Δωρα ἐν τῇ δευτέρᾳ προσάγων διὰ παντὸς αὐτῇ τὰς χεῖρας καὶ μηχανὰς ποιούμενος καὶ συνέκλεισεν τὸν Τρύφωνα τοῦ ἐκπορεύεσθαι καὶ εἰσπορεύεσθαι 1Mc 15:25
¶But King Antiochus encamped against Dor the second day, bringing his forces up to it continually, and making engines of war; and he shut up Tryphon from going in or out.
- - - 26 1Mc 15:26 26 καὶ ἀπέστειλεν αὐτῷ Σιμων δισχιλίους ἄνδρας ἐκλεκτοὺς συμμαχῆσαι αὐτῷ καὶ ἀργύριον καὶ χρυσίον καὶ σκεύη ἱκανά 1Mc 15:26
Simon sent him two thousand chosen men to fight on his side, with silver, gold, and instruments of war in abundance.
- - - 27 1Mc 15:27 27 καὶ οὐκ ἠβούλετο αὐτὰ δέξασθαι ἀλλὰ ἠθέτησεν πάντα ὅσα συνέθετο αὐτῷ τὸ πρότερον καὶ ἠλλοτριοῦτο αὐτῷ 1Mc 15:27
He would not receive them, but nullified all the covenants which he had made with him before, and was estranged from him.
- - - 28 1Mc 15:28 28 καὶ ἀπέστειλεν πρὸς αὐτὸν Ἀθηνόβιον ἕνα τῶν φίλων αὐτοῦ κοινολογησόμενον αὐτῷ λέγων ὑμεῖς κατακρατεῖτε τῆς Ιοππης καὶ Γαζαρων καὶ τῆς ἄκρας τῆς ἐν Ιερουσαλημ πόλεις τῆς βασιλείας μου 1Mc 15:28
He sent to him Athenobius, one of his friends,
to confer with him, saying, “You hold possession of Joppa, Gazara, and the citadel that is in Jerusalem, cities of my kingdom.
- - - 29 1Mc 15:29 29 τὰ ὅρια αὐτῶν ἠρημώσατε καὶ ἐποιήσατε πληγὴν μεγάλην ἐπὶ τῆς γῆς καὶ ἐκυριεύσατε τόπων πολλῶν ἐν τῇ βασιλείᾳ μου 1Mc 15:29
You have devastated their territory, and done great harm in the land, and control of many places in my kingdom.
- - - 30 1Mc 15:30 30 νῦν οὖν παράδοτε τὰς πόλεις ἃς κατελάβεσθε καὶ τοὺς φόρους τῶν τόπων ὧν κατεκυριεύσατε ἐκτὸς τῶν ὁρίων τῆς Ιουδαίας 1Mc 15:30
Now therefore hand over the cities which you have taken, and the tributes of the places which you have taken control of outside of the borders of Judea;
- - - 31 1Mc 15:31 31 εἰ δὲ μή δότε ἀντ’ αὐτῶν πεντακόσια τάλαντα ἀργυρίου καὶ τῆς καταφθορᾶς ἧς κατεφθάρκατε καὶ τῶν φόρων τῶν πόλεων ἄλλα τάλαντα πεντακόσια εἰ δὲ μή παραγενόμενοι ἐκπολεμήσομεν ὑμᾶς 1Mc 15:31
or else give me for them five hundred talents of silver; and for the harm that you have done, and the tributes of the cities, another five hundred talents. Otherwise we will come and subdue you.”
- - - 32 1Mc 15:32 32 καὶ ἦλθεν Ἀθηνόβιος ὁ φίλος τοῦ βασιλέως εἰς Ιερουσαλημ καὶ εἶδεν τὴν δόξαν Σιμωνος καὶ κυλικεῖον μετὰ χρυσωμάτων καὶ ἀργυρωμάτων καὶ παράστασιν ἱκανὴν καὶ ἐξίστατο καὶ ἀπήγγειλεν αὐτῷ τοὺς λόγους τοῦ βασιλέως 1Mc 15:32
¶Athenobius, the king’s friend,
came to Jerusalem. When he saw the glory of Simon, the cupboard of gold and silver vessels, and his great attendance, he was amazed. He reported to him the king’s words.
- - - 33 1Mc 15:33 33 καὶ ἀποκριθεὶς Σιμων εἶπεν αὐτῷ οὔτε γῆν ἀλλοτρίαν εἰλήφαμεν οὔτε ἀλλοτρίων κεκρατήκαμεν ἀλλὰ τῆς κληρονομίας τῶν πατέρων ἡμῶν ὑπὸ δὲ ἐχθρῶν ἡμῶν ἀκρίτως ἔν τινι καιρῷ κατεκρατήθη 1Mc 15:33
Simon answered, and said to him, “We have not taken other men’s land nor do we have possession of that which belongs to others, but of the inheritance of our fathers. However, it had been in possession of our enemies wrongfully for a while.
- - - 34 1Mc 15:34 34 ἡμεῖς δὲ καιρὸν ἔχοντες ἀντεχόμεθα τῆς κληρονομίας τῶν πατέρων ἡμῶν 1Mc 15:34
But we, having opportunity, firmly hold the inheritance of our fathers.
- - - 35 1Mc 15:35 35 περὶ δὲ Ιοππης καὶ Γαζαρων ὧν αἰτεῖς αὗται ἐποίουν ἐν τῷ λαῷ πληγὴν μεγάλην καὶ τὴν χώραν ἡμῶν τούτων δώσομεν τάλαντα ἑκατόν 1Mc 15:35
As for Joppa and Gazara, which you demand, they did great harm among the people throughout our country. We will give one hundred talents for them.” ¶Athenobius didn’t answer even one word,
- - - 36 1Mc 15:36 36 καὶ οὐκ ἀπεκρίθη αὐτῷ λόγον ἀπέστρεψεν δὲ μετὰ θυμοῦ πρὸς τὸν βασιλέα καὶ ἀπήγγειλεν αὐτῷ τοὺς λόγους τούτους καὶ τὴν δόξαν Σιμωνος καὶ πάντα ὅσα εἶδεν καὶ ὠργίσθη ὁ βασιλεὺς ὀργὴν μεγάλην 1Mc 15:36
but returned in a rage to the king, and reported to him these words, and the glory of Simon, and all that he had seen; and the king was exceedingly angry.
- - - 37 1Mc 15:37 37 τρύφων δὲ ἐμβὰς εἰς πλοῖον ἔφυγεν εἰς Ὀρθωσίαν 1Mc 15:37
Meanwhile, Tryphon embarked on board a ship, and fled to Orthosia.
- - - 38 1Mc 15:38 38 καὶ κατέστησεν ὁ βασιλεὺς τὸν Κενδεβαῖον ἐπιστράτηγον τῆς παραλίας καὶ δυνάμεις πεζικὰς καὶ ἱππικὰς ἔδωκεν αὐτῷ 1Mc 15:38
¶The king appointed Cendebaeus chief captain of the sea coast, and gave him troops of infantry and cavalry.
- - - 39 1Mc 15:39 39 καὶ ἐνετείλατο αὐτῷ παρεμβάλλειν κατὰ πρόσωπον τῆς Ιουδαίας καὶ ἐνετείλατο αὐτῷ οἰκοδομῆσαι τὴν Κεδρων καὶ ὀχυρῶσαι τὰς πύλας καὶ ὅπως πολεμῇ τὸν λαόν ὁ δὲ βασιλεὺς ἐδίωκε τὸν Τρύφωνα 1Mc 15:39
He commanded him to encamp against Judea, and he commanded him to build up Kidron, and to fortify the gates, and that he should fight against the people; but the king pursued Tryphon.
- - - 40 1Mc 15:40 40 καὶ παρεγενήθη Κενδεβαῖος εἰς Ιάμνειαν καὶ ἤρξατο τοῦ ἐρεθίζειν τὸν λαὸν καὶ ἐμβατεύειν εἰς τὴν Ιουδαίαν καὶ αἰχμαλωτίζειν τὸν λαὸν καὶ φονεύειν 1Mc 15:40
So Cendebaeus came to Jamnia and began to provoke the people, and to invade Judea, and to take the people captive and kill them.
- - - 41 1Mc 15:41 41 καὶ ᾠκοδόμησεν τὴν Κεδρων καὶ ἀπέταξεν ἐκεῖ ἱππεῖς καὶ δυνάμεις ὅπως ἐκπορευόμενοι ἐξοδεύωσιν τὰς ὁδοὺς τῆς Ιουδαίας καθὰ συνέταξεν αὐτῷ ὁ βασιλεύς 1Mc 15:41
He built Kidron and stationed cavalry and infantry there, to the end that going out they might make raids on the highways of Judea, as the king had commanded him.
- - -
Match Diacritics KEYMAP Wildcard