Μακκαβαίων Αʹ 1 Maccabees
CATSS LXX Wiki Latin Translation LXX / Vulgata Clementina Westminster Leningrad Codex Wiki Latin Translation HB / Vulgata Clementina 1 1Mc 16:1 1 καὶ ἀνέβη Ιωαννης ἐκ Γαζαρων καὶ ἀπήγγειλεν Σιμωνι τῷ πατρὶ αὐτοῦ ἃ συνετέλεσεν Κενδεβαῖος 1Mc 16:1
¶John went up from Gazara and told Simon his father what Cendebaeus was doing.
- - - 2 1Mc 16:2 2 καὶ ἐκάλεσεν Σιμων τοὺς δύο υἱοὺς αὐτοῦ τοὺς πρεσβυτέρους Ιουδαν καὶ Ιωαννην καὶ εἶπεν αὐτοῖς ἐγὼ καὶ οἱ ἀδελφοί μου καὶ ὁ οἶκος τοῦ πατρός μου ἐπολεμήσαμεν τοὺς πολέμους Ισραηλ ἀπὸ νεότητος ἕως τῆς σήμερον ἡμέρας καὶ εὐοδώθη ἐν ταῖς χερσὶν ἡμῶν ῥύσασθαι τὸν Ισραηλ πλεονάκις 1Mc 16:2
Simon called his two oldest sons, Judas and John, and said to them, “I and my brothers and my father’s house have fought the battles of Israel from our youth, even to this day; and things have prospered in our hands, that we have often delivered Israel.
- - - 3 1Mc 16:3 3 νυνὶ δὲ γεγήρακα καὶ ὑμεῖς δὲ ἐν τῷ ἐλέει ἱκανοί ἐστε ἐν τοῖς ἔτεσιν γίνεσθε ἀντ’ ἐμοῦ καὶ τοῦ ἀδελφοῦ μου καὶ ἐξελθόντες ὑπερμαχεῖτε ὑπὲρ τοῦ ἔθνους ἡμῶν ἡ δὲ ἐκ τοῦ οὐρανοῦ βοήθεια ἔστω μεθ’ ὑμῶν 1Mc 16:3
But now I am old, and you moreover, by his mercy, are of a sufficient age. Take the place of me and my brother, and go out and fight for our nation; and let the help which is from heaven be with you.
- - - 4 1Mc 16:4 4 καὶ ἐπέλεξεν ἐκ τῆς χώρας εἴκοσι χιλιάδας ἀνδρῶν πολεμιστῶν καὶ ἱππεῖς καὶ ἐπορεύθησαν ἐπὶ τὸν Κενδεβαῖον καὶ ἐκοιμήθησαν ἐν Μωδεϊν 1Mc 16:4
¶He chose out of the country twenty thousand men of war and cavalry, and they went against Cendebaeus, and slept at Modin.
- - - 5 1Mc 16:5 5 καὶ ἀναστάντες τὸ πρωὶ ἐπορεύθησαν εἰς τὸ πεδίον καὶ ἰδοὺ δύναμις πολλὴ εἰς συνάντησιν αὐτοῖς πεζικὴ καὶ ἱππεῖς καὶ χειμάρρους ἦν ἀνὰ μέσον αὐτῶν 1Mc 16:5
Rising up in the morning, they went into the plain, and, behold, a great army of infantry and cavalry came to meet them. There was a brook between them.
- - - 6 1Mc 16:6 6 καὶ παρενέβαλε κατὰ πρόσωπον αὐτῶν αὐτὸς καὶ ὁ λαὸς αὐτοῦ καὶ εἶδεν τὸν λαὸν δειλούμενον διαπερᾶσαι τὸν χειμάρρουν καὶ διεπέρασεν πρῶτος καὶ εἶδον αὐτὸν οἱ ἄνδρες καὶ διεπέρασαν κατόπισθεν αὐτοῦ 1Mc 16:6
He encamped near them, he and his people. He saw that the people were afraid to pass over the brook, and he passed over first. When the men saw him, they passed over after him.
- - - 7 1Mc 16:7 7 καὶ διεῖλεν τὸν λαὸν καὶ τοὺς ἱππεῖς ἐν μέσῳ τῶν πεζῶν ἦν δὲ ἵππος τῶν ὑπεναντίων πολλὴ σφόδρα 1Mc 16:7
He divided the people, and placed the calvary in the midst of the infantry; but the enemies’ cavalry were exceedingly many.
- - - 8 1Mc 16:8 8 καὶ ἐσάλπισαν ταῖς σάλπιγξιν καὶ ἐτροπώθη Κενδεβαῖος καὶ ἡ παρεμβολὴ αὐτοῦ καὶ ἔπεσον ἐξ αὐτῶν τραυματίαι πολλοί οἱ δὲ καταλειφθέντες ἔφυγον εἰς τὸ ὀχύρωμα 1Mc 16:8
They sounded the trumpets; and Cendebaeus and his army were put to flight, and many of them fell wounded to death, but those who were left fled to the stronghold.
- - - 9 1Mc 16:9 9 τότε ἐτραυματίσθη Ιουδας ὁ ἀδελφὸς Ιωαννου Ιωαννης δὲ κατεδίωξεν αὐτούς ἕως ἦλθεν εἰς Κεδρων ἣν ᾠκοδόμησεν 1Mc 16:9
At that time Judas, John’s brother, was wounded; but John pursued after them until he came to Kidron, which Cendebaeus had built.
- - - 10 1Mc 16:10 10 καὶ ἔφυγον εἰς τοὺς πύργους τοὺς ἐν τοῖς ἀγροῖς Ἀζώτου καὶ ἐνεπύρισεν αὐτὴν ἐν πυρί καὶ ἔπεσον ἐξ αὐτῶν εἰς ἄνδρας δισχιλίους καὶ ἀπέστρεψεν εἰς τὴν Ιουδαίαν μετὰ εἰρήνης 1Mc 16:10
They fled to the towers that are in the fields of Azotus; and he burned it with fire. About two thousand men men of them fell. Then he returned into Judea in peace.
- - - 11 1Mc 16:11 11 καὶ Πτολεμαῖος ὁ τοῦ Ἀβούβου ἦν καθεσταμένος στρατηγὸς εἰς τὸ πεδίον Ιεριχω καὶ ἔσχεν ἀργύριον καὶ χρυσίον πολύ 1Mc 16:11
¶Ptolemy the son of Abubus had been appointed governor over the plain of Jericho, and he had much silver and gold;
- - - 12 1Mc 16:12 12 ἦν γὰρ γαμβρὸς τοῦ ἀρχιερέως 1Mc 16:12
for he was the high priest’s son-in-law.
- - - 13 1Mc 16:13 13 καὶ ὑψώθη ἡ καρδία αὐτοῦ καὶ ἐβουλήθη κατακρατῆσαι τῆς χώρας καὶ ἐβουλεύετο δόλῳ κατὰ Σιμωνος καὶ τῶν υἱῶν αὐτοῦ ἆραι αὐτούς 1Mc 16:13
His heart was lifted up, and he planned to make himself master of the country, and he made deceitful plans against Simon and his sons, to do away with them.
- - - 14 1Mc 16:14 14 Σιμων δὲ ἦν ἐφοδεύων τὰς πόλεις τὰς ἐν τῇ χώρᾳ καὶ φροντίζων τῆς ἐπιμελείας αὐτῶν καὶ κατέβη εἰς Ιεριχω αὐτὸς καὶ Ματταθιας καὶ Ιουδας οἱ υἱοὶ αὐτοῦ ἔτους ἑβδόμου καὶ ἑβδομηκοστοῦ καὶ ἑκατοστοῦ ἐν μηνὶ ἑνδεκάτῳ οὗτος ὁ μὴν Σαβατ 1Mc 16:14
Now Simon was visiting the cities that were in the country, and attending to their needs. He went down to Jericho—himself with Mattathias and Judas his sons—in the one hundred seventy-seventh year,
in the eleventh month, which is the month Sebat.
- - - 15 1Mc 16:15 15 καὶ ὑπεδέξατο αὐτοὺς ὁ τοῦ Ἀβούβου εἰς τὸ ὀχυρωμάτιον τὸ καλούμενον Δωκ μετὰ δόλου ὃ ᾠκοδόμησεν καὶ ἐποίησεν αὐτοῖς πότον μέγαν καὶ ἐνέκρυψεν ἐκεῖ ἄνδρας 1Mc 16:15
The son of Abubus received them deceitfully into the little stronghold that is called Dok, which he had built, and made them a great banquet, and hid men there.
- - - 16 1Mc 16:16 16 καὶ ὅτε ἐμεθύσθη Σιμων καὶ οἱ υἱοὶ αὐτοῦ ἐξανέστη Πτολεμαῖος καὶ οἱ παρ’ αὐτοῦ καὶ ἔλαβον τὰ ὅπλα αὐτῶν καὶ ἐπεισῆλθον τῷ Σιμωνι εἰς τὸ συμπόσιον καὶ ἀπέκτειναν αὐτὸν καὶ τοὺς δύο υἱοὺς αὐτοῦ καί τινας τῶν παιδαρίων αὐτοῦ 1Mc 16:16
When Simon and his sons had drunk freely, Ptolemy and his men rose up, took their weapons, rushed in against Simon in the banqueting place, and killed him, his two sons, and some of his servants.
- - - 17 1Mc 16:17 17 καὶ ἐποίησεν ἀθεσίαν μεγάλην καὶ ἀπέδωκεν κακὰ ἀντὶ ἀγαθῶν 1Mc 16:17
He committed a great iniquity, and repaid evil for good.
- - - 18 1Mc 16:18 18 καὶ ἔγραψεν ταῦτα Πτολεμαῖος καὶ ἀπέστειλεν τῷ βασιλεῖ ὅπως ἀποστείλῃ αὐτῷ δυνάμεις εἰς βοήθειαν καὶ παραδῷ τὴν χώραν αὐτῶν καὶ τὰς πόλεις 1Mc 16:18
¶Ptolemy wrote these things and sent to the king, that he should send him forces to aid him, and should deliver him their country and the cities.
- - - 19 1Mc 16:19 19 καὶ ἀπέστειλεν ἑτέρους εἰς Γαζαρα ἆραι τὸν Ιωαννην καὶ τοῖς χιλιάρχοις ἀπέστειλεν ἐπιστολὰς παραγενέσθαι πρὸς αὐτόν ὅπως δῷ αὐτοῖς ἀργύριον καὶ χρυσίον καὶ δόματα 1Mc 16:19
He sent others to Gazara to do away with John. To the captains of thousands, he sent letters to come to him, that he might give them silver, gold, and gifts.
- - - 20 1Mc 16:20 20 καὶ ἑτέρους ἀπέστειλεν καταλαβέσθαι τὴν Ιερουσαλημ καὶ τὸ ὄρος τοῦ ἱεροῦ 1Mc 16:20
He sent others to take possession of Jerusalem and the temple hill.
- - - 21 1Mc 16:21 21 καὶ προδραμών τις ἀπήγγειλεν Ιωαννη εἰς Γαζαρα ὅτι ἀπώλετο ὁ πατὴρ αὐτοῦ καὶ οἱ ἀδελφοὶ αὐτοῦ καὶ ὅτι ἀπέσταλκεν καὶ σὲ ἀποκτεῖναι 1Mc 16:21
One ran before to Gazara, and told John that his father and kindred had perished, and he has sent to kill you also.
- - - 22 1Mc 16:22 22 καὶ ἀκούσας ἐξέστη σφόδρα καὶ συνέλαβεν τοὺς ἄνδρας τοὺς ἐλθόντας ἀπολέσαι αὐτὸν καὶ ἀπέκτεινεν αὐτούς ἐπέγνω γὰρ ὅτι ἐζήτουν αὐτὸν ἀπολέσαι 1Mc 16:22
When he heard, he was greatly shocked. He seized the men who came to destroy him and killed them; for he perceived that they were seeking to destroy him.
- - - 23 1Mc 16:23 23 καὶ τὰ λοιπὰ τῶν λόγων Ιωαννου καὶ τῶν πολέμων αὐτοῦ καὶ τῶν ἀνδραγαθιῶν αὐτοῦ ὧν ἠνδραγάθησεν καὶ τῆς οἰκοδομῆς τῶν τειχῶν ὧν ᾠκοδόμησεν καὶ τῶν πράξεων αὐτοῦ 1Mc 16:23
¶And the rest of the acts of John and of his wars and of his valiant deeds which he did, and of the building of the walls which he built, and of his achievements,
- - - 24 1Mc 16:24 24 ἰδοὺ ταῦτα γέγραπται ἐπὶ βιβλίῳ ἡμερῶν ἀρχιερωσύνης αὐτοῦ ἀφ’ οὗ ἐγενήθη ἀρχιερεὺς μετὰ τὸν πατέρα αὐτοῦ 1Mc 16:24
behold, they are written in the chronicles
of his high priesthood, from the time that he was made high priest after his father.
- - -
Match Diacritics KEYMAP Wildcard