Μακκαβαίων Αʹ 1 Maccabees
CATSS LXX Wiki Latin Translation LXX / Vulgata Clementina Westminster Leningrad Codex Wiki Latin Translation HB / Vulgata Clementina 1 1Mc 2:1 1 ἐν ταῖς ἡμέραις ἐκείναις ἀνέστη Ματταθιας υἱὸς Ιωαννου τοῦ Συμεων ἱερεὺς τῶν υἱῶν Ιωαριβ ἀπὸ Ιερουσαλημ καὶ ἐκάθισεν ἐν Μωδεϊν 1Mc 2:1
¶In those days Mattathias the son of John, the son of Simeon, a priest of the sons of Joarib, from Jerusalem rose up; and he lived at Modin.
- - - 2 1Mc 2:2 2 καὶ αὐτῷ υἱοὶ πέντε Ιωαννης ὁ ἐπικαλούμενος Γαδδι 1Mc 2:2
And he had five sons:
John, who was surnamed Gaddis;
- - - 3 1Mc 2:3 3 Σιμων ὁ καλούμενος Θασσι 1Mc 2:3
Simon, who was called Thassi;
- - - 4 1Mc 2:4 4 Ιουδας ὁ καλούμενος Μακκαβαῖος 1Mc 2:4
Judas, who was called Maccabaeus;
- - - 5 1Mc 2:5 5 Ελεαζαρ ὁ καλούμενος Αυαραν Ιωναθης ὁ καλούμενος Απφους 1Mc 2:5
Eleazar, who was called Avaran; and Jonathan, who was called Apphus.
- - - 6 1Mc 2:6 6 καὶ εἶδεν τὰς βλασφημίας τὰς γινομένας ἐν Ιουδα καὶ ἐν Ιερουσαλημ 1Mc 2:6
¶He saw the blasphemies that were committed in Judah and in Jerusalem,
- - - 7 1Mc 2:7 7 καὶ εἶπεν οἴμμοι ἵνα τί τοῦτο ἐγεννήθην ἰδεῖν τὸ σύντριμμα τοῦ λαοῦ μου καὶ τὸ σύντριμμα τῆς ἁγίας πόλεως καὶ καθίσαι ἐκεῖ ἐν τῷ δοθῆναι αὐτὴν ἐν χειρὶ ἐχθρῶν τὸ ἁγίασμα ἐν χειρὶ ἀλλοτρίων 1Mc 2:7
and he said, “Woe is me! Why was I born to see the destruction of my people and the destruction of the holy city, and to dwell there when it was given into the hand of the enemy, the sanctuary into the hand of foreigners?
- - - 8 1Mc 2:8 8 ἐγένετο ὁ ναὸς αὐτῆς ὡς ἀνὴρ ἄδοξος 1Mc 2:8
Her temple has become like a man who was glorious.
- - - 9 1Mc 2:9 9 τὰ σκεύη τῆς δόξης αὐτῆς αἰχμάλωτα ἀπήχθη ἀπεκτάνθη τὰ νήπια αὐτῆς ἐν ταῖς πλατείαις αὐτῆς οἱ νεανίσκοι αὐτῆς ἐν ῥομφαίᾳ ἐχθροῦ 1Mc 2:9
Her vessels of glory are carried away into captivity. Her infants are slain in her streets. Her young men are slain with the enemy’s sword.
- - - 10 1Mc 2:10 10 ποῖον ἔθνος οὐκ ἐκληρονόμησεν βασίλεια καὶ οὐκ ἐκράτησεν τῶν σκύλων αὐτῆς 1Mc 2:10
What nation has not inherited her palaces and taken possession of her spoils?
- - - 11 1Mc 2:11 11 πᾶς ὁ κόσμος αὐτῆς ἀφῃρέθη ἀντὶ ἐλευθέρας ἐγένετο εἰς δούλην 1Mc 2:11
Her adornment has all been taken away. Instead of a free woman, she has become a slave.
- - - 12 1Mc 2:12 12 καὶ ἰδοὺ τὰ ἅγια ἡμῶν καὶ ἡ καλλονὴ ἡμῶν καὶ ἡ δόξα ἡμῶν ἠρημώθη καὶ ἐβεβήλωσαν αὐτὰ τὰ ἔθνη 1Mc 2:12
Behold, our holy things, our beauty, and our glory are laid waste. The Gentiles have profaned them.
- - - 13 1Mc 2:13 13 ἵνα τί ἡμῖν ἔτι ζωή 1Mc 2:13
Why should we live any longer?”
- - - 14 1Mc 2:14 14 καὶ διέρρηξεν Ματταθιας καὶ οἱ υἱοὶ αὐτοῦ τὰ ἱμάτια αὐτῶν καὶ περιεβάλοντο σάκκους καὶ ἐπένθησαν σφόδρα 1Mc 2:14
¶Mattathias and his sons tore their clothes, put on sackcloth, and mourned exceedingly.
- - - 15 1Mc 2:15 15 καὶ ἦλθον οἱ παρὰ τοῦ βασιλέως οἱ καταναγκάζοντες τὴν ἀποστασίαν εἰς Μωδεϊν τὴν πόλιν ἵνα θυσιάσωσιν 1Mc 2:15
¶And the king’s officers who were enforcing the apostasy came into the city Modin to sacrifice.
- - - 16 1Mc 2:16 16 καὶ πολλοὶ ἀπὸ Ισραηλ πρὸς αὐτοὺς προσῆλθον καὶ Ματταθιας καὶ οἱ υἱοὶ αὐτοῦ συνήχθησαν 1Mc 2:16
Many of Israel came to them, and Mattathias and his sons were gathered together.
- - - 17 1Mc 2:17 17 καὶ ἀπεκρίθησαν οἱ παρὰ τοῦ βασιλέως καὶ εἶπον τῷ Ματταθια λέγοντες ἄρχων καὶ ἔνδοξος καὶ μέγας εἶ ἐν τῇ πόλει ταύτῃ καὶ ἐστηρισμένος υἱοῖς καὶ ἀδελφοῖς 1Mc 2:17
The king’s officers answered and spoke to Mattathias, saying, “You are a ruler and an honorable and great man in this city, and strengthened with sons and kindred.
- - - 18 1Mc 2:18 18 νῦν πρόσελθε πρῶτος καὶ ποίησον τὸ πρόσταγμα τοῦ βασιλέως ὡς ἐποίησαν πάντα τὰ ἔθνη καὶ οἱ ἄνδρες Ιουδα καὶ οἱ καταλειφθέντες ἐν Ιερουσαλημ καὶ ἔσῃ σὺ καὶ οἱ υἱοί σου τῶν φίλων τοῦ βασιλέως καὶ σὺ καὶ οἱ υἱοί σου δοξασθήσεσθε ἀργυρίῳ καὶ χρυσίῳ καὶ ἀποστολαῖς πολλαῖς 1Mc 2:18
Now therefore come first and do the commandment of the king, as all the nations have done, including the men of Judah and those who remain in Jerusalem. You and your house will be numbered among the king’s
friends, and you and your sons will be honored with silver and gold and many gifts.”
- - - 19 1Mc 2:19 19 καὶ ἀπεκρίθη Ματταθιας καὶ εἶπεν φωνῇ μεγάλῃ εἰ πάντα τὰ ἔθνη τὰ ἐν οἴκῳ τῆς βασιλείας τοῦ βασιλέως ἀκούουσιν αὐτοῦ ἀποστῆναι ἕκαστος ἀπὸ λατρείας πατέρων αὐτοῦ καὶ ᾑρετίσαντο ἐν ταῖς ἐντολαῖς αὐτοῦ 1Mc 2:19
¶And Mattathias answered and said with a loud voice, “If all the nations that are in the house of the king’s dominion listen to him, to fall away each one from the worship of his fathers, and have made choice to follow his commandments,
- - - 20 1Mc 2:20 20 κἀγὼ καὶ οἱ υἱοί μου καὶ οἱ ἀδελφοί μου πορευσόμεθα ἐν διαθήκῃ πατέρων ἡμῶν 1Mc 2:20
yet I and my sons and my kindred will walk in the covenant of our fathers.
- - - 21 1Mc 2:21 21 ἵλεως ἡμῖν καταλιπεῖν νόμον καὶ δικαιώματα 1Mc 2:21
Far be it from us that we should forsake the law and the ordinances.
- - - 22 1Mc 2:22 22 τῶν λόγων τοῦ βασιλέως οὐκ ἀκουσόμεθα παρελθεῖν τὴν λατρείαν ἡμῶν δεξιὰν ἢ ἀριστεράν 1Mc 2:22
We will not listen to the king’s words, to turn aside from our worship, to the right hand, or to the left.”
- - - 23 1Mc 2:23 23 καὶ ὡς ἐπαύσατο λαλῶν τοὺς λόγους τούτους προσῆλθεν ἀνὴρ Ιουδαῖος ἐν ὀφθαλμοῖς πάντων θυσιάσαι ἐπὶ τοῦ βωμοῦ ἐν Μωδεϊν κατὰ τὸ πρόσταγμα τοῦ βασιλέως 1Mc 2:23
¶When he had finished speaking these words, a Jew came in the sight of all to sacrifice on the altar which was at Modin, according to the king’s commandment.
- - - 24 1Mc 2:24 24 καὶ εἶδεν Ματταθιας καὶ ἐζήλωσεν καὶ ἐτρόμησαν οἱ νεφροὶ αὐτοῦ καὶ ἀνήνεγκεν θυμὸν κατὰ τὸ κρίμα καὶ δραμὼν ἔσφαξεν αὐτὸν ἐπὶ τὸν βωμόν 1Mc 2:24
Mattathias saw it, so his zeal was kindled, and his guts trembled, and he vented his wrath according to judgment, and ran and killed him upon the altar.
- - - 25 1Mc 2:25 25 καὶ τὸν ἄνδρα τοῦ βασιλέως τὸν ἀναγκάζοντα θύειν ἀπέκτεινεν ἐν τῷ καιρῷ ἐκείνῳ καὶ τὸν βωμὸν καθεῖλεν 1Mc 2:25
He killed the king’s officer, who compelled men to sacrifice, at the same time, and pulled down the altar.
- - - 26 1Mc 2:26 26 καὶ ἐζήλωσεν τῷ νόμῳ καθὼς ἐποίησεν Φινεες τῷ Ζαμβρι υἱῷ Σαλωμ 1Mc 2:26
He was zealous for the law, even as Phinehas did to Zimri the son of Salu.
- - - 27 1Mc 2:27 27 καὶ ἀνέκραξεν Ματταθιας ἐν τῇ πόλει φωνῇ μεγάλῃ λέγων πᾶς ὁ ζηλῶν τῷ νόμῳ καὶ ἱστῶν διαθήκην ἐξελθέτω ὀπίσω μου 1Mc 2:27
¶Mattathias cried out in the city with a loud voice, saying, “Whoever is zealous for the law and maintains the covenant, let him follow me!”
- - - 28 1Mc 2:28 28 καὶ ἔφυγεν αὐτὸς καὶ οἱ υἱοὶ αὐτοῦ εἰς τὰ ὄρη καὶ ἐγκατέλιπον ὅσα εἶχον ἐν τῇ πόλει 1Mc 2:28
He and his sons fled into the mountains, and left all that they had in the city.
- - - 29 1Mc 2:29 29 τότε κατέβησαν πολλοὶ ζητοῦντες δικαιοσύνην καὶ κρίμα εἰς τὴν ἔρημον καθίσαι ἐκεῖ 1Mc 2:29
¶Then many who sought justice and judgment went down into the wilderness to live there—
- - - 30 1Mc 2:30 30 αὐτοὶ καὶ οἱ υἱοὶ αὐτῶν καὶ αἱ γυναῖκες αὐτῶν καὶ τὰ κτήνη αὐτῶν ὅτι ἐσκληρύνθη ἐπ’ αὐτοὺς τὰ κακά 1Mc 2:30
they, their children, their wives, and their livestock—because evils were multiplied upon them.
- - - 31 1Mc 2:31 31 καὶ ἀνηγγέλη τοῖς ἀνδράσιν τοῦ βασιλέως καὶ ταῖς δυνάμεσιν αἳ ἦσαν ἐν Ιερουσαλημ πόλει Δαυιδ ὅτι κατέβησαν ἄνδρες οἵτινες διεσκέδασαν τὴν ἐντολὴν τοῦ βασιλέως εἰς τοὺς κρύφους ἐν τῇ ἐρήμῳ 1Mc 2:31
It was told the king’s officers and the forces that were in Jerusalem, the city of David, that certain men who had broken the king’s commandment had gone down into the secret places in the wilderness;
- - - 32 1Mc 2:32 32 καὶ ἔδραμον ὀπίσω αὐτῶν πολλοὶ καὶ κατελάβοντο αὐτοὺς καὶ παρενέβαλον ἐπ’ αὐτοὺς καὶ συνεστήσαντο πρὸς αὐτοὺς πόλεμον ἐν τῇ ἡμέρᾳ τῶν σαββάτων 1Mc 2:32
and many pursued after them, and having overtaken them, they encamped against them and set the battle in array against them on the Sabbath day.
- - - 33 1Mc 2:33 33 καὶ εἶπον πρὸς αὐτούς ἕως τοῦ νῦν ἐξελθόντες ποιήσατε κατὰ τὸν λόγον τοῦ βασιλέως καὶ ζήσεσθε 1Mc 2:33
They said to them, “Enough of this! Come out and do according to the word of the king, and you will all live!”
- - - 34 1Mc 2:34 34 καὶ εἶπον οὐκ ἐξελευσόμεθα οὐδὲ ποιήσομεν τὸν λόγον τοῦ βασιλέως βεβηλῶσαι τὴν ἡμέραν τῶν σαββάτων 1Mc 2:34
¶They said, “We won’t come out. We won’t do the word of the king, to profane the Sabbath day.”
- - - 35 1Mc 2:35 35 καὶ ἐτάχυναν ἐπ’ αὐτοὺς πόλεμον 1Mc 2:35
¶Then the enemy hurried to attack them.
- - - 36 1Mc 2:36 36 καὶ οὐκ ἀπεκρίθησαν αὐτοῖς οὐδὲ λίθον ἐνετίναξαν αὐτοῖς οὐδὲ ἐνέφραξαν τοὺς κρύφους 1Mc 2:36
¶They didn’t answer them. They didn’t cast a stone at them, or block their secret places,
- - - 37 1Mc 2:37 37 λέγοντες ἀποθάνωμεν πάντες ἐν τῇ ἁπλότητι ἡμῶν μαρτυρεῖ ἐφ’ ἡμᾶς ὁ οὐρανὸς καὶ ἡ γῆ ὅτι ἀκρίτως ἀπόλλυτε ἡμᾶς 1Mc 2:37
saying, “Let’s all die in our innocence. Heaven and earth testify for us, that you put us to death unjustly.”
- - - 38 1Mc 2:38 38 καὶ ἀνέστησαν ἐπ’ αὐτοὺς ἐν πολέμῳ τοῖς σάββασιν καὶ ἀπέθανον αὐτοὶ καὶ αἱ γυναῖκες αὐτῶν καὶ τὰ τέκνα αὐτῶν καὶ τὰ κτήνη αὐτῶν ἕως χιλίων ψυχῶν ἀνθρώπων 1Mc 2:38
¶So they attacked them on the Sabbath, and they died—they, their wives, their children, and their livestock—in number a thousand souls of men.
- - - 39 1Mc 2:39 39 καὶ ἔγνω Ματταθιας καὶ οἱ φίλοι αὐτοῦ καὶ ἐπένθησαν ἐπ’ αὐτοὺς σφόδρα 1Mc 2:39
¶When Mattathias and his friends found out about it, and they mourned over them exceedingly.
- - - 40 1Mc 2:40 40 καὶ εἶπεν ἀνὴρ τῷ πλησίον αὐτοῦ ἐὰν πάντες ποιήσωμεν ὡς οἱ ἀδελφοὶ ἡμῶν ἐποίησαν καὶ μὴ πολεμήσωμεν πρὸς τὰ ἔθνη ὑπὲρ τῆς ψυχῆς ἡμῶν καὶ τῶν δικαιωμάτων ἡμῶν νῦν τάχιον ὀλεθρεύσουσιν ἡμᾶς ἀπὸ τῆς γῆς 1Mc 2:40
One said to another, “If we all do as our kindred have done, and don’t fight against the Gentiles for our lives and our ordinances, they will quickly destroy us from off the earth.”
- - - 41 1Mc 2:41 41 καὶ ἐβουλεύσαντο τῇ ἡμέρᾳ ἐκείνῃ λέγοντες πᾶς ἄνθρωπος ὃς ἐὰν ἔλθῃ ἐφ’ ἡμᾶς εἰς πόλεμον τῇ ἡμέρᾳ τῶν σαββάτων πολεμήσωμεν κατέναντι αὐτοῦ καὶ οὐ μὴ ἀποθάνωμεν πάντες καθὼς ἀπέθανον οἱ ἀδελφοὶ ἡμῶν ἐν τοῖς κρύφοις 1Mc 2:41
So they decided that day, saying, “Whoever comes against us to battle on the Sabbath day, let’s fight against him, and we will in no way all die, as our kindred died in the secret places.”
- - - 42 1Mc 2:42 42 τότε συνήχθησαν πρὸς αὐτοὺς συναγωγὴ Ασιδαίων ἰσχυροὶ δυνάμει ἀπὸ Ισραηλ πᾶς ὁ ἑκουσιαζόμενος τῷ νόμῳ 1Mc 2:42
¶Then a company of the Hasidaeans,
mighty men of Israel, everyone who offered himself willingly for the law, were gathered together to them.
- - - 43 1Mc 2:43 43 καὶ πάντες οἱ φυγαδεύοντες ἀπὸ τῶν κακῶν προσετέθησαν αὐτοῖς καὶ ἐγένοντο αὐτοῖς εἰς στήριγμα 1Mc 2:43
All those who fled from the evils were added to them, and supported them.
- - - 44 1Mc 2:44 44 καὶ συνεστήσαντο δύναμιν καὶ ἐπάταξαν ἁμαρτωλοὺς ἐν ὀργῇ αὐτῶν καὶ ἄνδρας ἀνόμους ἐν θυμῷ αὐτῶν καὶ οἱ λοιποὶ ἔφυγον εἰς τὰ ἔθνη σωθῆναι 1Mc 2:44
They mustered an army, and struck sinners in their anger, and lawless men in their wrath. The rest fled to the Gentiles for safety.
- - - 45 1Mc 2:45 45 καὶ ἐκύκλωσεν Ματταθιας καὶ οἱ φίλοι αὐτοῦ καὶ καθεῖλον τοὺς βωμοὺς 1Mc 2:45
And Mattathias and his friends went around and pulled down the altars.
- - - 46 1Mc 2:46 46 καὶ περιέτεμον τὰ παιδάρια τὰ ἀπερίτμητα ὅσα εὗρον ἐν ὁρίοις Ισραηλ ἐν ἰσχύι 1Mc 2:46
They forcibly circumcised the boys who were uncircumcised, as many as they found in the coasts of Israel.
- - - 47 1Mc 2:47 47 καὶ ἐδίωξαν τοὺς υἱοὺς τῆς ὑπερηφανίας καὶ κατευοδώθη τὸ ἔργον ἐν χειρὶ αὐτῶν 1Mc 2:47
They pursued the arrogant, and the work prospered in their hand.
- - - 48 1Mc 2:48 48 καὶ ἀντελάβοντο τοῦ νόμου ἐκ χειρὸς τῶν ἐθνῶν καὶ τῶν βασιλέων καὶ οὐκ ἔδωκαν κέρας τῷ ἁμαρτωλῷ 1Mc 2:48
They rescued the law out of the hand of the Gentiles and out of the hand of the kings. They never allowed the sinner to triumph.
- - - 49 1Mc 2:49 49 καὶ ἤγγισαν αἱ ἡμέραι Ματταθιου ἀποθανεῖν καὶ εἶπεν τοῖς υἱοῖς αὐτοῦ νῦν ἐστηρίσθη ὑπερηφανία καὶ ἐλεγμὸς καὶ καιρὸς καταστροφῆς καὶ ὀργὴ θυμοῦ 1Mc 2:49
¶The days of Mattathias drew near that he should die, and he said to his sons, “Now pride and scorn have gained strength. It is a season of overthrow and indignant wrath.
- - - 50 1Mc 2:50 50 νῦν τέκνα ζηλώσατε τῷ νόμῳ καὶ δότε τὰς ψυχὰς ὑμῶν ὑπὲρ διαθήκης πατέρων ἡμῶν 1Mc 2:50
Now, my children, be zealous for the law, and give your lives for the covenant of your fathers.
- - - 51 1Mc 2:51 51 καὶ μνήσθητε τὰ ἔργα τῶν πατέρων ἃ ἐποίησαν ἐν ταῖς γενεαῖς αὐτῶν καὶ δέξασθε δόξαν μεγάλην καὶ ὄνομα αἰώνιον 1Mc 2:51
Call to remembrance the deeds of our fathers which they did in their generations; and receive great glory and an everlasting name.
- - - 52 1Mc 2:52 52 Αβρααμ οὐχὶ ἐν πειρασμῷ εὑρέθη πιστός καὶ ἐλογίσθη αὐτῷ εἰς δικαιοσύνην 1Mc 2:52
Wasn’t Abraham found faithful in temptation, and it was reckoned to him for righteousness?
- - - 53 1Mc 2:53 53 Ιωσηφ ἐν καιρῷ στενοχωρίας αὐτοῦ ἐφύλαξεν ἐντολὴν καὶ ἐγένετο κύριος Αἰγύπτου 1Mc 2:53
Joseph in the time of his distress kept the commandment, and became lord of Egypt.
- - - 54 1Mc 2:54 54 Φινεες ὁ πατὴρ ἡμῶν ἐν τῷ ζηλῶσαι ζῆλον ἔλαβεν διαθήκην ἱερωσύνης αἰωνίας 1Mc 2:54
Phinehas our father, because he was exceedingly zealous, obtained the covenant of an everlasting priesthood.
- - - 55 1Mc 2:55 55 Ἰησοῦς ἐν τῷ πληρῶσαι λόγον ἐγένετο κριτὴς ἐν Ισραηλ 1Mc 2:55
Joshua became a judge in Israel for fulfilling the word.
- - - 56 1Mc 2:56 56 Χαλεβ ἐν τῷ μαρτύρασθαι ἐν τῇ ἐκκλησίᾳ ἔλαβεν γῆς κληρονομίαν 1Mc 2:56
Caleb obtained a heritage in the land for testifying in the congregation.
- - - 57 1Mc 2:57 57 Δαυιδ ἐν τῷ ἐλέει αὐτοῦ ἐκληρονόμησεν θρόνον βασιλείας εἰς αἰῶνας 1Mc 2:57
David inherited the throne of a kingdom forever and ever for being merciful.
- - - 58 1Mc 2:58 58 Ηλιας ἐν τῷ ζηλῶσαι ζῆλον νόμου ἀνελήμφθη εἰς τὸν οὐρανόν 1Mc 2:58
Elijah was taken up into heaven because he was exceedingly zealous for the law.
- - - 59 1Mc 2:59 59 Ανανιας Αζαριας Μισαηλ πιστεύσαντες ἐσώθησαν ἐκ φλογός 1Mc 2:59
Hananiah, Azariah, and Mishael believed, and were saved out of the flame.
- - - 60 1Mc 2:60 60 Δανιηλ ἐν τῇ ἁπλότητι αὐτοῦ ἐρρύσθη ἐκ στόματος λεόντων 1Mc 2:60
Daniel was delivered from the mouth of lions for his innocence.
- - - 61 1Mc 2:61 61 καὶ οὕτως ἐννοήθητε κατὰ γενεὰν καὶ γενεάν ὅτι πάντες οἱ ἐλπίζοντες ἐπ’ αὐτὸν οὐκ ἀσθενήσουσιν 1Mc 2:61
¶“Thus consider from generation to generation that no one who put their trust in him will lack for strength.
- - - 62 1Mc 2:62 62 καὶ ἀπὸ λόγων ἀνδρὸς ἁμαρτωλοῦ μὴ φοβηθῆτε ὅτι ἡ δόξα αὐτοῦ εἰς κόπρια καὶ εἰς σκώληκας 1Mc 2:62
Don’t be afraid of the words of a sinful man; for his glory will be dung and worms.
- - - 63 1Mc 2:63 63 σήμερον ἐπαρθήσεται καὶ αὔριον οὐ μὴ εὑρεθῇ ὅτι ἐπέστρεψεν εἰς τὸν χοῦν αὐτοῦ καὶ ὁ διαλογισμὸς αὐτοῦ ἀπολεῖται 1Mc 2:63
Today he will be lifted up, and tomorrow he will in no way be found, because he has returned to dust, and his thought has perished.
- - - 64 1Mc 2:64 64 τέκνα ἀνδρίζεσθε καὶ ἰσχύσατε ἐν τῷ νόμῳ ὅτι ἐν αὐτῷ δοξασθήσεσθε 1Mc 2:64
You, my children, be strong, and show yourselves men on behalf of the law; for in it you will obtain glory.
- - - 65 1Mc 2:65 65 καὶ ἰδοὺ Συμεων ὁ ἀδελφὸς ὑμῶν οἶδα ὅτι ἀνὴρ βουλῆς ἐστιν αὐτοῦ ἀκούετε πάσας τὰς ἡμέρας αὐτὸς ἔσται ὑμῶν πατήρ 1Mc 2:65
Behold, Simon your brother, whom I know to be a man of counsel. Always listen to him. He shall be a father to you.
- - - 66 1Mc 2:66 66 καὶ Ιουδας Μακκαβαῖος ἰσχυρὸς δυνάμει ἐκ νεότητος αὐτοῦ αὐτὸς ἔσται ὑμῖν ἄρχων στρατιᾶς καὶ πολεμήσει πόλεμον λαῶν 1Mc 2:66
Judas Maccabaeus has been strong and mighty from his youth. He shall be your captain and shall fight
the battle of the people.
- - - 67 1Mc 2:67 67 καὶ ὑμεῖς προσάξετε πρὸς ὑμᾶς πάντας τοὺς ποιητὰς τοῦ νόμου καὶ ἐκδικήσατε ἐκδίκησιν τοῦ λαοῦ ὑμῶν 1Mc 2:67
Rally around all the doers of the law, and avenge the wrong done to your people.
- - - 68 1Mc 2:68 68 ἀνταπόδοτε ἀνταπόδομα τοῖς ἔθνεσιν καὶ προσέχετε εἰς πρόσταγμα τοῦ νόμου 1Mc 2:68
Repay the Gentiles, and obey the commandments of the law.”
- - - 69 1Mc 2:69 69 καὶ εὐλόγησεν αὐτούς καὶ προσετέθη πρὸς τοὺς πατέρας αὐτοῦ 1Mc 2:69
¶He blessed them, and was gathered to his ancestors.
- - - 70 1Mc 2:70 70 καὶ ἀπέθανεν ἐν τῷ ἕκτῳ καὶ τεσσαρακοστῷ καὶ ἑκατοστῷ ἔτει καὶ ἐτάφη ἐν τάφοις πατέρων αὐτοῦ ἐν Μωδεϊν καὶ ἐκόψαντο αὐτὸν πᾶς Ισραηλ κοπετὸν μέγαν 1Mc 2:70
He died in
the one hundred forty sixth year, and his sons buried him in the tombs of his ancestors at Modin. All Israel made great lamentation for him.
- - -
Match Diacritics KEYMAP Wildcard