Μακκαβαίων Αʹ 1 Maccabees
CATSS LXX Wiki Latin Translation LXX / Vulgata Clementina Westminster Leningrad Codex Wiki Latin Translation HB / Vulgata Clementina 1 1Mc 3:1 1 καὶ ἀνέστη Ιουδας ὁ καλούμενος Μακκαβαῖος υἱὸς αὐτοῦ ἀντ’ αὐτοῦ 1Mc 3:1
¶His son Judas, who was called Maccabaeus, rose up in his place.
- - - 2 1Mc 3:2 2 καὶ ἐβοήθουν αὐτῷ πάντες οἱ ἀδελφοὶ αὐτοῦ καὶ πάντες ὅσοι ἐκολλήθησαν τῷ πατρὶ αὐτοῦ καὶ ἐπολέμουν τὸν πόλεμον Ισραηλ μετ’ εὐφροσύνης 1Mc 3:2
All his kindred helped him, and so did all those who joined with his father, and they fought with gladness the battle of Israel.
- - - 3 1Mc 3:3 3 καὶ ἐπλάτυνεν δόξαν τῷ λαῷ αὐτοῦ καὶ ἐνεδύσατο θώρακα ὡς γίγας καὶ συνεζώσατο τὰ σκεύη τὰ πολεμικὰ αὐτοῦ καὶ πολέμους συνεστήσατο σκεπάζων παρεμβολὴν ἐν ῥομφαίᾳ 1Mc 3:3
He got his people great glory, and put on a breastplate like a giant, and bound his warlike harness around him, and set battles in array, protecting the army with his sword.
- - - 4 1Mc 3:4 4 καὶ ὡμοιώθη λέοντι ἐν τοῖς ἔργοις αὐτοῦ καὶ ὡς σκύμνος ἐρευγόμενος εἰς θήραν 1Mc 3:4
He was like a lion in his deeds, and like a lion’s cub roaring for prey.
- - - 5 1Mc 3:5 5 καὶ ἐδίωξεν ἀνόμους ἐξερευνῶν καὶ τοὺς ταράσσοντας τὸν λαὸν αὐτοῦ ἐφλόγισεν 1Mc 3:5
He hunted and pursued the lawless, and he burned up those who troubled his people.
- - - 6 1Mc 3:6 6 καὶ συνεστάλησαν ἄνομοι ἀπὸ τοῦ φόβου αὐτοῦ καὶ πάντες οἱ ἐργάται τῆς ἀνομίας συνεταράχθησαν καὶ εὐοδώθη σωτηρία ἐν χειρὶ αὐτοῦ 1Mc 3:6
The lawless shrunk back for fear of him, and all the workers of lawlessness were very troubled, and deliverance prospered in his hand.
- - - 7 1Mc 3:7 7 καὶ ἐπίκρανεν βασιλεῖς πολλοὺς καὶ εὔφρανεν τὸν Ιακωβ ἐν τοῖς ἔργοις αὐτοῦ καὶ ἕως τοῦ αἰῶνος τὸ μνημόσυνον αὐτοῦ εἰς εὐλογίαν 1Mc 3:7
He angered many kings and made Jacob glad with his acts. His memory is blessed forever.
- - - 8 1Mc 3:8 8 καὶ διῆλθεν ἐν πόλεσιν Ιουδα καὶ ἐξωλέθρευσεν ἀσεβεῖς ἐξ αὐτῆς καὶ ἀπέστρεψεν ὀργὴν ἀπὸ Ισραηλ 1Mc 3:8
He went through the cities of Judah, destroyed the ungodly
out of the land, and turned away wrath from Israel.
- - - 9 1Mc 3:9 9 καὶ ὠνομάσθη ἕως ἐσχάτου γῆς καὶ συνήγαγεν ἀπολλυμένους 1Mc 3:9
He was renowned to the utmost part of the earth. He gathered together those who were ready to perish.
- - - 10 1Mc 3:10 10 καὶ συνήγαγεν Ἀπολλώνιος ἔθνη καὶ ἀπὸ Σαμαρείας δύναμιν μεγάλην τοῦ πολεμῆσαι πρὸς τὸν Ισραηλ 1Mc 3:10
¶Apollonius gathered the Gentiles together with a great army from Samaria to fight against Israel.
- - - 11 1Mc 3:11 11 καὶ ἔγνω Ιουδας καὶ ἐξῆλθεν εἰς συνάντησιν αὐτῷ καὶ ἐπάταξεν αὐτὸν καὶ ἀπέκτεινεν καὶ ἔπεσον τραυματίαι πολλοί καὶ οἱ ἐπίλοιποι ἔφυγον 1Mc 3:11
Judas learned of it, and he went out to meet him, struck him, and killed him. Many fell wounded to death, and the rest fled.
- - - 12 1Mc 3:12 12 καὶ ἔλαβον τὰ σκῦλα αὐτῶν καὶ τὴν μάχαιραν Ἀπολλωνίου ἔλαβεν Ιουδας καὶ ἦν πολεμῶν ἐν αὐτῇ πάσας τὰς ἡμέρας 1Mc 3:12
They took their spoils, and Judas took Apollonius’ sword, and he fought with it all his days.
- - - 13 1Mc 3:13 13 καὶ ἤκουσεν Σήρων ὁ ἄρχων τῆς δυνάμεως Συρίας ὅτι ἤθροισεν Ιουδας ἄθροισμα καὶ ἐκκλησίαν πιστῶν μετ’ αὐτοῦ καὶ ἐκπορευομένων εἰς πόλεμον 1Mc 3:13
¶Seron, the commander of the army of Syria, heard that Judas had gathered a large company, including a body of faithful men who stayed with him, went out to war.
- - - 14 1Mc 3:14 14 καὶ εἶπεν ποιήσω ἐμαυτῷ ὄνομα καὶ δοξασθήσομαι ἐν τῇ βασιλείᾳ καὶ πολεμήσω τὸν Ιουδαν καὶ τοὺς σὺν αὐτῷ τοὺς ἐξουδενοῦντας τὸν λόγον τοῦ βασιλέως 1Mc 3:14
He said, “I will make myself a name and get myself glory in the kingdom. I will fight against Judas and those who are with him, who despise the king’s command.
- - - 15 1Mc 3:15 15 καὶ προσέθετο καὶ ἀνέβη μετ’ αὐτοῦ παρεμβολὴ ἀσεβῶν ἰσχυρὰ βοηθῆσαι αὐτῷ ποιῆσαι τὴν ἐκδίκησιν ἐν υἱοῖς Ισραηλ 1Mc 3:15
A mighty army of the ungodly went up with him to help him, to take vengeance on the children of Israel.
- - - 16 1Mc 3:16 16 καὶ ἤγγισεν ἕως ἀναβάσεως Βαιθωρων καὶ ἐξῆλθεν Ιουδας εἰς συνάντησιν αὐτῷ ὀλιγοστός 1Mc 3:16
¶He came near to the ascent of Bethhoron, and Judas went out to meet him with a small company.
- - - 17 1Mc 3:17 17 ὡς δὲ εἶδον τὴν παρεμβολὴν ἐρχομένην εἰς συνάντησιν αὐτῶν εἶπον τῷ Ιουδα τί δυνησόμεθα ὀλιγοστοὶ ὄντες πολεμῆσαι πρὸς πλῆθος τοσοῦτο ἰσχυρόν καὶ ἡμεῖς ἐκλελύμεθα ἀσιτοῦντες σήμερον 1Mc 3:17
But when they saw the army coming to meet them, they said to Judas, “What? Shall we be able, being a small company, to fight against so great and strong a multitude? We for our part are faint, having tasted no food this day.”
- - - 18 1Mc 3:18 18 καὶ εἶπεν Ιουδας εὔκοπόν ἐστιν συγκλεισθῆναι πολλοὺς ἐν χερσὶν ὀλίγων καὶ οὐκ ἔστιν διαφορὰ ἐναντίον τοῦ οὐρανοῦ σῴζειν ἐν πολλοῖς ἢ ἐν ὀλίγοις 1Mc 3:18
¶Judas said, “It is an easy thing for many to be hemmed in by the hands of a few. With
heaven it is all one, to save by many or by few;
- - - 19 1Mc 3:19 19 ὅτι οὐκ ἐν πλήθει δυνάμεως νίκη πολέμου ἐστίν ἀλλ’ ἐκ τοῦ οὐρανοῦ ἡ ἰσχύς 1Mc 3:19
for victory in battle stands not in the multitude of an army, but strength is from heaven.
- - - 20 1Mc 3:20 20 αὐτοὶ ἔρχονται ἐφ’ ἡμᾶς ἐν πλήθει ὕβρεως καὶ ἀνομίας τοῦ ἐξᾶραι ἡμᾶς καὶ τὰς γυναῖκας ἡμῶν καὶ τὰ τέκνα ἡμῶν τοῦ σκυλεῦσαι ἡμᾶς 1Mc 3:20
They come to us in fullness of insolence and lawlessness, to destroy us and our wives and our children, and to plunder us,
- - - 21 1Mc 3:21 21 ἡμεῖς δὲ πολεμοῦμεν περὶ τῶν ψυχῶν ἡμῶν καὶ τῶν νομίμων ἡμῶν 1Mc 3:21
but we fight for our lives and our laws.
- - - 22 1Mc 3:22 22 καὶ αὐτὸς συντρίψει αὐτοὺς πρὸ προσώπου ἡμῶν ὑμεῖς δὲ μὴ φοβεῖσθε ἀπ’ αὐτῶν 1Mc 3:22
He himself will crush them before our face; but as for you, don’t be afraid of them.
- - - 23 1Mc 3:23 23 ὡς δὲ ἐπαύσατο λαλῶν ἐνήλατο εἰς αὐτοὺς ἄφνω καὶ συνετρίβη Σήρων καὶ ἡ παρεμβολὴ αὐτοῦ ἐνώπιον αὐτοῦ 1Mc 3:23
¶Now when he had finished speaking, he rushed suddenly against Seron and his army, and they were defeated before him.
- - - 24 1Mc 3:24 24 καὶ ἐδίωκον αὐτὸν ἐν τῇ καταβάσει Βαιθωρων ἕως τοῦ πεδίου καὶ ἔπεσον ἀπ’ αὐτῶν εἰς ἄνδρας ὀκτακοσίους οἱ δὲ λοιποὶ ἔφυγον εἰς γῆν Φυλιστιιμ 1Mc 3:24
They pursued them down the descent of Bethhoron to the plain, and about eight hundred men of them fell; but the rest fled into the land of the Philistines.
- - - 25 1Mc 3:25 25 καὶ ἤρξατο ὁ φόβος Ιουδου καὶ τῶν ἀδελφῶν αὐτοῦ καὶ ἡ πτόη ἐπέπιπτεν ἐπὶ τὰ ἔθνη τὰ κύκλῳ αὐτῶν 1Mc 3:25
¶The fear of Judas and his kindred, and the dread of them, began to fall on the nations around them.
- - - 26 1Mc 3:26 26 καὶ ἤγγισεν ἕως τοῦ βασιλέως τὸ ὄνομα αὐτοῦ καὶ ὑπὲρ τῶν παρατάξεων Ιουδου ἐξηγεῖτο τὰ ἔθνη 1Mc 3:26
His fame reached the king, and every nation told of the battles of Judas.
- - - 27 1Mc 3:27 27 ὡς δὲ ἤκουσεν ὁ βασιλεὺς Ἀντίοχος τοὺς λόγους τούτους ὠργίσθη θυμῷ καὶ ἀπέστειλεν καὶ συνήγαγεν τὰς δυνάμεις πάσας τῆς βασιλείας αὐτοῦ παρεμβολὴν ἰσχυρὰν σφόδρα 1Mc 3:27
¶But when King Antiochus heard these words, he was full of indignation; and he sent and gathered together all the forces of his realm, an exceedingly strong army.
- - - 28 1Mc 3:28 28 καὶ ἤνοιξεν τὸ γαζοφυλάκιον αὐτοῦ καὶ ἔδωκεν ὀψώνια ταῖς δυνάμεσιν εἰς ἐνιαυτὸν καὶ ἐνετείλατο αὐτοῖς εἶναι ἑτοίμους εἰς πᾶσαν χρείαν 1Mc 3:28
He opened his treasury and gave his forces pay for a year, and commanded them to be ready for every need.
- - - 29 1Mc 3:29 29 καὶ εἶδεν ὅτι ἐξέλιπεν τὸ ἀργύριον ἐκ τῶν θησαυρῶν καὶ οἱ φόροι τῆς χώρας ὀλίγοι χάριν τῆς διχοστασίας καὶ πληγῆς ἧς κατεσκεύασεν ἐν τῇ γῇ τοῦ ἆραι τὰ νόμιμα ἃ ἦσαν ἀφ’ ἡμερῶν τῶν πρώτων 1Mc 3:29
He saw that the money was gone from his treasures, and that the tributes of the country were small, because of the dissension and disaster which he had brought upon the land, to the end that he might take away the laws which had been from the first days. He saw that the money failed from his treasures, and that the
tributes of the country were small, because of the dissension and plague
which he had brought upon the land, to the end that he might take away
the laws which had been from the first days.
- - - 30 1Mc 3:30 30 καὶ εὐλαβήθη μὴ οὐκ ἔχῃ ὡς ἅπαξ καὶ δὶς εἰς τὰς δαπάνας καὶ τὰ δόματα ἃ ἐδίδου ἔμπροσθεν δαψιλῇ χειρὶ καὶ ἐπερίσσευσεν ὑπὲρ τοὺς βασιλεῖς τοὺς ἔμπροσθεν 1Mc 3:30
He was afraid that he wouldn’t have enough as at other times for the charges and the gifts which he used to give with a liberal hand, more abundantly than the kings who were before him.
- - - 31 1Mc 3:31 31 καὶ ἠπορεῖτο τῇ ψυχῇ αὐτοῦ σφόδρα καὶ ἐβουλεύσατο τοῦ πορευθῆναι εἰς τὴν Περσίδα καὶ λαβεῖν τοὺς φόρους τῶν χωρῶν καὶ συναγαγεῖν ἀργύριον πολύ 1Mc 3:31
And he was exceedingly perplexed in his mind, and he determined to go into Persia, and to take the tributes of those countries, and to gather much money.
- - - 32 1Mc 3:32 32 καὶ κατέλιπεν Λυσίαν ἄνθρωπον ἔνδοξον καὶ ἀπὸ γένους τῆς βασιλείας ἐπὶ τῶν πραγμάτων τοῦ βασιλέως ἀπὸ τοῦ ποταμοῦ Εὐφράτου καὶ ἕως ὁρίων Αἰγύπτου 1Mc 3:32
He left Lysias, an honorable man, and one of royal lineage, to be over the affairs of the king from the river Euphrates to the borders of Egypt,
- - - 33 1Mc 3:33 33 καὶ τρέφειν Ἀντίοχον τὸν υἱὸν αὐτοῦ ἕως τοῦ ἐπιστρέψαι αὐτόν 1Mc 3:33
and to bring up his son Antiochus, until he came again.
- - - 34 1Mc 3:34 34 καὶ παρέδωκεν αὐτῷ τὰς ἡμίσεις τῶν δυνάμεων καὶ τοὺς ἐλέφαντας καὶ ἐνετείλατο αὐτῷ περὶ πάντων ὧν ἠβούλετο καὶ περὶ τῶν κατοικούντων τὴν Ιουδαίαν καὶ Ιερουσαλημ 1Mc 3:34
He delivered to Lysias half of his forces and the elephants, and gave him charge of all the things that he would have done, and concerning those who lived in Judea and in Jerusalem,
- - - 35 1Mc 3:35 35 ἀποστεῖλαι ἐπ’ αὐτοὺς δύναμιν τοῦ ἐκτρῖψαι καὶ ἐξᾶραι τὴν ἰσχὺν Ισραηλ καὶ τὸ κατάλειμμα Ιερουσαλημ καὶ ἆραι τὸ μνημόσυνον αὐτῶν ἀπὸ τοῦ τόπου 1Mc 3:35
that he should send an army against them to root out and destroy the strength of Israel and the remnant of Jerusalem, and to take away their memory from the place,
- - - 36 1Mc 3:36 36 καὶ κατοικίσαι υἱοὺς ἀλλογενεῖς ἐν πᾶσιν τοῖς ὁρίοις αὐτῶν καὶ κατακληροδοτῆσαι τὴν γῆν αὐτῶν 1Mc 3:36
and that he should make foreigners live in all their territory, and should divide their land to them by lot.
- - - 37 1Mc 3:37 37 καὶ ὁ βασιλεὺς παρέλαβεν τὰς ἡμίσεις τῶν δυνάμεων τὰς καταλειφθείσας καὶ ἀπῆρεν ἀπὸ Ἀντιοχείας ἀπὸ πόλεως βασιλείας αὐτοῦ ἔτους ἑβδόμου καὶ τεσσαρακοστοῦ καὶ ἑκατοστοῦ καὶ διεπέρασεν τὸν Εὐφράτην ποταμὸν καὶ διεπορεύετο τὰς ἐπάνω χώρας 1Mc 3:37
The king took the half that remained of the forces, and left Antioch, his royal city, in the one hundred forty seventh year;
and he passed over the river Euphrates, and went through the upper countries.
- - - 38 1Mc 3:38 38 καὶ ἐπέλεξεν Λυσίας Πτολεμαῖον τὸν Δορυμένους καὶ Νικάνορα καὶ Γοργίαν ἄνδρας δυνατοὺς τῶν φίλων τοῦ βασιλέως 1Mc 3:38
¶Lysias chose Ptolemy the son of Dorymenes, Nicanor, and Gorgias, mighty men of the king’s friends;
* - - - 39 1Mc 3:39 39 καὶ ἀπέστειλεν μετ’ αὐτῶν τεσσαράκοντα χιλιάδας ἀνδρῶν καὶ ἑπτακισχιλίαν ἵππον τοῦ ἐλθεῖν εἰς γῆν Ιουδα καὶ καταφθεῖραι αὐτὴν κατὰ τὸν λόγον τοῦ βασιλέως 1Mc 3:39
and with them, he sent forty thousand infantry and seven thousand cavalry to go into the land of Judah and to destroy it, according to the word of the king.
- - - 40 1Mc 3:40 40 καὶ ἀπῆρεν σὺν πάσῃ τῇ δυνάμει αὐτῶν καὶ ἦλθον καὶ παρενέβαλον πλησίον Αμμαους ἐν τῇ γῇ τῇ πεδινῇ 1Mc 3:40
They set out with all their army, and came and encamped near Emmaus in the plain country.
- - - 41 1Mc 3:41 41 καὶ ἤκουσαν οἱ ἔμποροι τῆς χώρας τὸ ὄνομα αὐτῶν καὶ ἔλαβον ἀργύριον καὶ χρυσίον πολὺ σφόδρα καὶ πέδας καὶ ἦλθον εἰς τὴν παρεμβολὴν τοῦ λαβεῖν τοὺς υἱοὺς Ισραηλ εἰς παῖδας καὶ προσετέθησαν πρὸς αὐτοὺς δύναμις Συρίας καὶ γῆς ἀλλοφύλων 1Mc 3:41
The merchants of the country heard of their fame, and took silver and gold in large quantities, and fetters,
and came into the camp to take the children of Israel for slaves. Forces of Syria and of the land of the Philistines
joined with them.
- - - 42 1Mc 3:42 42 καὶ εἶδεν Ιουδας καὶ οἱ ἀδελφοὶ αὐτοῦ ὅτι ἐπληθύνθη τὰ κακὰ καὶ αἱ δυνάμεις παρεμβάλλουσιν ἐν τοῖς ὁρίοις αὐτῶν καὶ ἐπέγνωσαν τοὺς λόγους τοῦ βασιλέως οὓς ἐνετείλατο ποιῆσαι τῷ λαῷ εἰς ἀπώλειαν καὶ συντέλειαν 1Mc 3:42
¶Judas and his kindred saw that evils were multiplied, and that the forces were encamping in their borders. They learned about the king’s words which he had commanded, to destroy the people and make an end of them.
- - - 43 1Mc 3:43 43 καὶ εἶπαν ἕκαστος πρὸς τὸν πλησίον αὐτοῦ ἀναστήσωμεν τὴν καθαίρεσιν τοῦ λαοῦ ἡμῶν καὶ πολεμήσωμεν περὶ τοῦ λαοῦ ἡμῶν καὶ τῶν ἁγίων 1Mc 3:43
Then they each said to his neighbor, “Let’s repair the ruins of our people. Let’s fight for our people and the holy place.”
- - - 44 1Mc 3:44 44 καὶ ἠθροίσθη ἡ συναγωγὴ τοῦ εἶναι ἑτοίμους εἰς πόλεμον καὶ τοῦ προσεύξασθαι καὶ αἰτῆσαι ἔλεος καὶ οἰκτιρμούς 1Mc 3:44
The congregation was gathered together, that they might be ready for battle, and that they might pray and ask for mercy and compassion.
- - - 45 1Mc 3:45 45 καὶ Ιερουσαλημ ἦν ἀοίκητος ὡς ἔρημος οὐκ ἦν ὁ εἰσπορευόμενος καὶ ἐκπορευόμενος ἐκ τῶν γενημάτων αὐτῆς καὶ τὸ ἁγίασμα καταπατούμενον καὶ υἱοὶ ἀλλογενῶν ἐν τῇ ἄκρᾳ κατάλυμα τοῖς ἔθνεσιν καὶ ἐξήρθη τέρψις ἐξ Ιακωβ καὶ ἐξέλιπεν αὐλὸς καὶ κινύρα 1Mc 3:45
Jerusalem was without inhabitant like a wilderness. There was none of her offspring who went in or went out. The sanctuary was trampled down. Children of foreigners were in the citadel. The Gentiles lived there. Joy was taken away from Jacob, and the pipe and the harp ceased.
- - - 46 1Mc 3:46 46 καὶ συνήχθησαν καὶ ἤλθοσαν εἰς Μασσηφα κατέναντι Ιερουσαλημ ὅτι τόπος προσευχῆς ἦν ἐν Μασσηφα τὸ πρότερον τῷ Ισραηλ 1Mc 3:46
They gathered themselves together, and came to Mizpeh, near Jerusalem; for in Mizpeh there used to be a place of prayer for Israel.
- - - 47 1Mc 3:47 47 καὶ ἐνήστευσαν τῇ ἡμέρᾳ ἐκείνῃ καὶ περιεβάλοντο σάκκους καὶ σποδὸν ἐπὶ τὴν κεφαλὴν αὐτῶν καὶ διέρρηξαν τὰ ἱμάτια αὐτῶν 1Mc 3:47
They fasted that day, put on sackcloth, put ashes on their heads, tore their clothes,
- - - 48 1Mc 3:48 48 καὶ ἐξεπέτασαν τὸ βιβλίον τοῦ νόμου περὶ ὧν ἐξηρεύνων τὰ ἔθνη τὰ ὁμοιώματα τῶν εἰδώλων αὐτῶν 1Mc 3:48
and opened the book of the law, to learn about the things for which the Gentiles consulted the images of their idols.
- - - 49 1Mc 3:49 49 καὶ ἤνεγκαν τὰ ἱμάτια τῆς ἱερωσύνης καὶ τὰ πρωτογενήματα καὶ τὰς δεκάτας καὶ ἤγειραν τοὺς ναζιραίους οἳ ἐπλήρωσαν τὰς ἡμέρας 1Mc 3:49
They brought the priests’ garments, the first fruits, and the tithes. They stirred up the Nazarites, who had accomplished their days.
- - - 50 1Mc 3:50 50 καὶ ἐβόησαν φωνῇ εἰς τὸν οὐρανὸν λέγοντες τί ποιήσωμεν τούτοις καὶ ποῦ αὐτοὺς ἀπαγάγωμεν 1Mc 3:50
They cried aloud toward heaven, saying, “What should we do with these men? Where should we carry them away?
- - - 51 1Mc 3:51 51 καὶ τὰ ἅγιά σου καταπεπάτηνται καὶ βεβήλωνται καὶ οἱ ἱερεῖς σου ἐν πένθει καὶ ταπεινώσει 1Mc 3:51
Your holy place is trampled down and profaned. Your priests mourn in humiliation.
- - - 52 1Mc 3:52 52 καὶ ἰδοὺ τὰ ἔθνη συνῆκται ἐφ’ ἡμᾶς τοῦ ἐξᾶραι ἡμᾶς σὺ οἶδας ἃ λογίζονται ἐφ’ ἡμᾶς 1Mc 3:52
Behold, the Gentiles are assembled together against us to destroy us. You know what things they imagine against us.
- - - 53 1Mc 3:53 53 πῶς δυνησόμεθα ὑποστῆναι κατὰ πρόσωπον αὐτῶν ἐὰν μὴ σὺ βοηθήσῃς ἡμῖν 1Mc 3:53
How will we be able to stand against them, unless you help us?”
- - - 54 1Mc 3:54 54 καὶ ἐσάλπισαν ταῖς σάλπιγξιν καὶ ἐβόησαν φωνῇ μεγάλῃ 1Mc 3:54
They sounded with the trumpets, and gave a loud shout.
- - - 55 1Mc 3:55 55 καὶ μετὰ τοῦτο κατέστησεν Ιουδας ἡγουμένους τοῦ λαοῦ χιλιάρχους καὶ ἑκατοντάρχους καὶ πεντηκοντάρχους καὶ δεκαδάρχους 1Mc 3:55
¶And after this Judas appointed leaders of the people: captains of thousands, captains of hundreds, captains of fifties, and captains of tens.
- - - 56 1Mc 3:56 56 καὶ εἶπεν τοῖς οἰκοδομοῦσιν οἰκίας καὶ μνηστευομένοις γυναῖκας καὶ φυτεύουσιν ἀμπελῶνας καὶ δειλοῖς ἀποστρέφειν ἕκαστον εἰς τὸν οἶκον αὐτοῦ κατὰ τὸν νόμον 1Mc 3:56
He said to those who were building houses, were betrothing wives, were planting vineyards, and were fearful, that they should return, each man to his own house, according to the law.
- - - 57 1Mc 3:57 57 καὶ ἀπῆρεν ἡ παρεμβολή καὶ παρενέβαλον κατὰ νότον Αμμαους 1Mc 3:57
The army marched out and encamped upon the south side of Emmaus.
- - - 58 1Mc 3:58 58 καὶ εἶπεν Ιουδας περιζώσασθε καὶ γίνεσθε εἰς υἱοὺς δυνατοὺς καὶ γίνεσθε ἕτοιμοι εἰς πρωὶ τοῦ πολεμῆσαι ἐν τοῖς ἔθνεσιν τούτοις τοῖς ἐπισυνηγμένοις ἐφ’ ἡμᾶς ἐξᾶραι ἡμᾶς καὶ τὰ ἅγια ἡμῶν 1Mc 3:58
Judas said, “Arm yourselves and be valiant men! Be ready in the morning to fight with these Gentiles who are assembled together against us to destroy us and our holy place.
- - - 59 1Mc 3:59 59 ὅτι κρεῖσσον ἡμᾶς ἀποθανεῖν ἐν τῷ πολέμῳ ἢ ἐπιδεῖν ἐπὶ τὰ κακὰ τοῦ ἔθνους ἡμῶν καὶ τῶν ἁγίων 1Mc 3:59
For it is better for us to die in battle than to see the calamities of our nation and the holy place.
- - - 60 1Mc 3:60 60 ὡς δ’ ἂν ᾖ θέλημα ἐν οὐρανῷ οὕτως ποιήσει 1Mc 3:60
Nevertheless, as may be the will in heaven, so shall he do.
- - -
Match Diacritics KEYMAP Wildcard