Μακκαβαίων Αʹ 1 Maccabees
CATSS LXX Wiki Latin Translation LXX / Vulgata Clementina Westminster Leningrad Codex Wiki Latin Translation HB / Vulgata Clementina 1 1Mc 6:1 1 καὶ ὁ βασιλεὺς Ἀντίοχος διεπορεύετο τὰς ἐπάνω χώρας καὶ ἤκουσεν ὅτι ἐστὶν Ἐλυμαῒς ἐν τῇ Περσίδι πόλις ἔνδοξος πλούτῳ ἀργυρίῳ καὶ χρυσίῳ 1Mc 6:1
¶King Antiochus was traveling through the upper countries; and he heard that in Elymais in Persia there was a city renowned for riches, for silver and gold,
- - - 2 1Mc 6:2 2 καὶ τὸ ἱερὸν τὸ ἐν αὐτῇ πλούσιον σφόδρα καὶ ἐκεῖ καλύμματα χρυσᾶ καὶ θώρακες καὶ ὅπλα ἃ κατέλιπεν ἐκεῖ Ἀλέξανδρος ὁ τοῦ Φιλίππου ὁ βασιλεὺς ὁ Μακεδών ὃς ἐβασίλευσεν πρῶτος ἐν τοῖς Ἕλλησι 1Mc 6:2
and that the temple which was in it was exceedingly rich, and that in it were golden shields, breastplates, and weapons which Alexander, son of Philip, the Macedonian king, who reigned first among the Greeks, left behind there.
- - - 3 1Mc 6:3 3 καὶ ἦλθεν καὶ ἐζήτει καταλαβέσθαι τὴν πόλιν καὶ προνομεῦσαι αὐτήν καὶ οὐκ ἠδυνάσθη ὅτι ἐγνώσθη ὁ λόγος τοῖς ἐκ τῆς πόλεως 1Mc 6:3
So he came and tried to take the city and to pillage it; and he was not able, because his plan was known to them of the city,
- - - 4 1Mc 6:4 4 καὶ ἀντέστησαν αὐτῷ εἰς πόλεμον καὶ ἔφυγεν καὶ ἀπῆρεν ἐκεῖθεν μετὰ λύπης μεγάλης ἀποστρέψαι εἰς Βαβυλῶνα 1Mc 6:4
and they rose up against him in battle. He fled and returned to Babylon with great disappointment.
- - - 5 1Mc 6:5 5 καὶ ἦλθέν τις ἀπαγγέλλων αὐτῷ εἰς τὴν Περσίδα ὅτι τετρόπωνται αἱ παρεμβολαὶ αἱ πορευθεῖσαι εἰς γῆν Ιουδα 1Mc 6:5
¶Then someone came into Persia bringing him news that the armies which went against the land of Judah had been put to flight,
- - - 6 1Mc 6:6 6 καὶ ἐπορεύθη Λυσίας δυνάμει ἰσχυρᾷ ἐν πρώτοις καὶ ἐνετράπη ἀπὸ προσώπου αὐτῶν καὶ ἐπίσχυσαν ὅπλοις καὶ δυνάμει καὶ σκύλοις πολλοῖς οἷς ἔλαβον ἀπὸ τῶν παρεμβολῶν ὧν ἐξέκοψαν 1Mc 6:6
and that Lysias went first with a strong army and was put to shame before them, and that they had grown strong because of weapons, power, and a supply of plunder which they took from the armies that they had cut off,
- - - 7 1Mc 6:7 7 καὶ καθεῖλον τὸ βδέλυγμα ὃ ᾠκοδόμησεν ἐπὶ τὸ θυσιαστήριον τὸ ἐν Ιερουσαλημ καὶ τὸ ἁγίασμα καθὼς τὸ πρότερον ἐκύκλωσαν τείχεσιν ὑψηλοῖς καὶ τὴν Βαιθσουραν πόλιν αὐτοῦ 1Mc 6:7
and that they had pulled down the abomination which he had built upon the altar that was in Jerusalem, and that they had surrounded the sanctuary with high walls, as before, and also Bethsura, his city.
- - - 8 1Mc 6:8 8 καὶ ἐγένετο ὡς ἤκουσεν ὁ βασιλεὺς τοὺς λόγους τούτους ἐθαμβήθη καὶ ἐσαλεύθη σφόδρα καὶ ἔπεσεν ἐπὶ τὴν κοίτην καὶ ἐνέπεσεν εἰς ἀρρωστίαν ἀπὸ τῆς λύπης ὅτι οὐκ ἐγένετο αὐτῷ καθὼς ἐνεθυμεῖτο 1Mc 6:8
¶It came to pass, when the king heard these words, he was astonished and moved exceedingly. He laid himself down on his bed, and fell sick for grief, because it had not turned out for him as he had planned.
- - - 9 1Mc 6:9 9 καὶ ἦν ἐκεῖ ἡμέρας πλείους ὅτι ἀνεκαινίσθη ἐπ’ αὐτὸν λύπη μεγάλη καὶ ἐλογίσατο ὅτι ἀποθνῄσκει 1Mc 6:9
He was there many days, because great grief continually gripped him, and he realized that he would die.
- - - 10 1Mc 6:10 10 καὶ ἐκάλεσεν πάντας τοὺς φίλους αὐτοῦ καὶ εἶπεν πρὸς αὐτούς ἀφίσταται ὁ ὕπνος ἀπὸ τῶν ὀφθαλμῶν μου καὶ συμπέπτωκα τῇ καρδίᾳ ἀπὸ τῆς μερίμνης 1Mc 6:10
He called for all his
friends, and said to them, “Sleep departs from my eyes, and my heart fails because of worry.
- - - 11 1Mc 6:11 11 καὶ εἶπα τῇ καρδίᾳ ἕως τίνος θλίψεως ἦλθα καὶ κλύδωνος μεγάλου ἐν ᾧ νῦν εἰμι ὅτι χρηστὸς καὶ ἀγαπώμενος ἤμην ἐν τῇ ἐξουσίᾳ μου 1Mc 6:11
I said in my heart, ‘To what suffering I have come! How great a flood it is that I’m in, now! For I was gracious and loved in my power.’
- - - 12 1Mc 6:12 12 νῦν δὲ μιμνῄσκομαι τῶν κακῶν ὧν ἐποίησα ἐν Ιερουσαλημ καὶ ἔλαβον πάντα τὰ σκεύη τὰ ἀργυρᾶ καὶ τὰ χρυσᾶ τὰ ἐν αὐτῇ καὶ ἐξαπέστειλα ἐξᾶραι τοὺς κατοικοῦντας Ιουδα διὰ κενῆς 1Mc 6:12
But now I remember the evils which I did at Jerusalem, and that I took all the vessels of silver and gold that were in it, and sent out to destroy the inhabitants of Judah without a cause.
- - - 13 1Mc 6:13 13 ἔγνων ὅτι χάριν τούτων εὗρέν με τὰ κακὰ ταῦτα καὶ ἰδοὺ ἀπόλλυμαι λύπῃ μεγάλῃ ἐν γῇ ἀλλοτρίᾳ 1Mc 6:13
I perceive that it is because of this that these evils have come upon me. Behold, I am perishing through great grief in a strange land.”
- - - 14 1Mc 6:14 14 καὶ ἐκάλεσεν Φίλιππον ἕνα τῶν φίλων αὐτοῦ καὶ κατέστησεν αὐτὸν ἐπὶ πάσης τῆς βασιλείας αὐτοῦ 1Mc 6:14
¶Then he called for Philip, one of his
friends, and set him over all his kingdom.
- - - 15 1Mc 6:15 15 καὶ ἔδωκεν αὐτῷ τὸ διάδημα καὶ τὴν στολὴν αὐτοῦ καὶ τὸν δακτύλιον τοῦ ἀγαγεῖν Ἀντίοχον τὸν υἱὸν αὐτοῦ καὶ ἐκθρέψαι αὐτὸν τοῦ βασιλεύειν 1Mc 6:15
He gave him his crown, his robe, and his signet ring, so that he could guide Antiochus his son, and nourish him up that he might be king.
- - - 16 1Mc 6:16 16 καὶ ἀπέθανεν ἐκεῖ Ἀντίοχος ὁ βασιλεὺς ἔτους ἐνάτου καὶ τεσσαρακοστοῦ καὶ ἑκατοστοῦ 1Mc 6:16
Then King Antiochus died there in the one hundred forty-ninth year.
* - - - 17 1Mc 6:17 17 καὶ ἐπέγνω Λυσίας ὅτι τέθνηκεν ὁ βασιλεύς καὶ κατέστησεν βασιλεύειν Ἀντίοχον τὸν υἱὸν αὐτοῦ ὃν ἐξέθρεψεν νεώτερον καὶ ἐκάλεσεν τὸ ὄνομα αὐτοῦ Εὐπάτωρ 1Mc 6:17
When Lysias learned that the king was dead, he set up Antiochus his son to reign, whom he had nourished up being young, and he called his name Eupator.
- - - 18 1Mc 6:18 18 καὶ οἱ ἐκ τῆς ἄκρας ἦσαν συγκλείοντες τὸν Ισραηλ κύκλῳ τῶν ἁγίων καὶ ζητοῦντες κακὰ δι’ ὅλου καὶ στήριγμα τοῖς ἔθνεσιν 1Mc 6:18
¶Those who were in the citadel kept hemming Israel in around the sanctuary, and always sought to harm them and to strengthen the Gentiles.
- - - 19 1Mc 6:19 19 καὶ ἐλογίσατο Ιουδας ἐξᾶραι αὐτοὺς καὶ ἐξεκκλησίασε πάντα τὸν λαὸν τοῦ περικαθίσαι ἐπ’ αὐτούς 1Mc 6:19
Judas planned to destroy them, and called all the people together to besiege them.
- - - 20 1Mc 6:20 20 καὶ συνήχθησαν ἅμα καὶ περιεκάθισαν ἐπ’ αὐτὴν ἔτους πεντηκοστοῦ καὶ ἑκατοστοῦ καὶ ἐποίησεν βελοστάσεις καὶ μηχανάς 1Mc 6:20
They were gathered together, and besieged them in
the one hundred fiftieth year, and he made mounds to shoot from, and engines of war.
- - - 21 1Mc 6:21 21 καὶ ἐξῆλθον ἐξ αὐτῶν ἐκ τοῦ συγκλεισμοῦ καὶ ἐκολλήθησαν αὐτοῖς τινες τῶν ἀσεβῶν ἐξ Ισραηλ 1Mc 6:21
Some of those who were hemmed in came out, and some of the ungodly men of Israel were joined to them.
- - - 22 1Mc 6:22 22 καὶ ἐπορεύθησαν πρὸς τὸν βασιλέα καὶ εἶπον ἕως πότε οὐ ποιήσῃ κρίσιν καὶ ἐκδικήσεις τοὺς ἀδελφοὺς ἡμῶν 1Mc 6:22
They went to the king, and said, “How long will you not execute judgment, and avenge our kindred?
- - - 23 1Mc 6:23 23 ἡμεῖς εὐδοκοῦμεν δουλεύειν τῷ πατρί σου καὶ πορεύεσθαι τοῖς ὑπ’ αὐτοῦ λεγομένοις καὶ κατακολουθεῖν τοῖς προστάγμασιν αὐτοῦ 1Mc 6:23
We were willing to serve your father and to live by his words, and to follow his commandments.
- - - 24 1Mc 6:24 24 καὶ περιεκάθηντο ἐπ’ αὐτὴν οἱ υἱοὶ τοῦ λαοῦ ἡμῶν χάριν τούτου καὶ ἠλλοτριοῦντο ἀφ’ ἡμῶν πλὴν ὅσοι εὑρίσκοντο ἐξ ἡμῶν ἐθανατοῦντο καὶ αἱ κληρονομίαι ἡμῶν διηρπάζοντο 1Mc 6:24
Because of this, the children of our people besieged the citadel
and were alienated from us; but as many of us as they could catch, they killed, and plundered our inheritances.
- - - 25 1Mc 6:25 25 καὶ οὐκ ἐφ’ ἡμᾶς μόνον ἐξέτειναν χεῖρα ἀλλὰ καὶ ἐπὶ πάντα τὰ ὅρια αὐτῶν 1Mc 6:25
Not against us only did they stretch out their hand, but also against all their borders.
- - - 26 1Mc 6:26 26 καὶ ἰδοὺ παρεμβεβλήκασι σήμερον ἐπὶ τὴν ἄκραν ἐν Ιερουσαλημ τοῦ καταλαβέσθαι αὐτήν καὶ τὸ ἁγίασμα καὶ τὴν Βαιθσουραν ὠχύρωσαν 1Mc 6:26
Behold, they are encamped this day against the citadel at Jerusalem to take it. They have fortified the sanctuary and Bethsura.
- - - 27 1Mc 6:27 27 καὶ ἐὰν μὴ προκαταλάβῃ αὐτοὺς διὰ τάχους μείζονα τούτων ποιήσουσιν καὶ οὐ δυνήσῃ τοῦ κατασχεῖν αὐτῶν 1Mc 6:27
If you don’t quickly prevent them, they will do greater things than these, and you won’t be able to control them.
- - - 28 1Mc 6:28 28 καὶ ὠργίσθη ὁ βασιλεύς ὅτε ἤκουσεν καὶ συνήγαγεν πάντας τοὺς φίλους αὐτοῦ ἄρχοντας δυνάμεως αὐτοῦ καὶ τοὺς ἐπὶ τῶν ἡνιῶν 1Mc 6:28
¶When the king heard this, he was angry, and gathered together all his
friends, the rulers of his army, and those who were over the cavalry.
- - - 29 1Mc 6:29 29 καὶ ἀπὸ βασιλειῶν ἑτέρων καὶ ἀπὸ νήσων θαλασσῶν ἦλθον πρὸς αὐτὸν δυνάμεις μισθωταί 1Mc 6:29
Bands of hired soldiers came to him from other kingdoms and from islands of the sea.
- - - 30 1Mc 6:30 30 καὶ ἦν ὁ ἀριθμὸς τῶν δυνάμεων αὐτοῦ ἑκατὸν χιλιάδες πεζῶν καὶ εἴκοσι χιλιάδες ἱππέων καὶ ἐλέφαντες δύο καὶ τριάκοντα εἰδότες πόλεμον 1Mc 6:30
The number of his forces was one hundred thousand infantry, and twenty thousand cavalry, and thirty-two elephants trained for war.
- - - 31 1Mc 6:31 31 καὶ ἦλθον διὰ τῆς Ιδουμαίας καὶ παρενέβαλον ἐπὶ Βαιθσουραν καὶ ἐπολέμησαν ἡμέρας πολλὰς καὶ ἐποίησαν μηχανάς καὶ ἐξῆλθον καὶ ἐνεπύρισαν αὐτὰς πυρὶ καὶ ἐπολέμησαν ἀνδρωδῶς 1Mc 6:31
They went through Idumaea, and encamped against Bethsura, and fought against it many days, and made engines of war. The Jews came out and burned them with fire, and fought valiantly.
- - - 32 1Mc 6:32 32 καὶ ἀπῆρεν Ιουδας ἀπὸ τῆς ἄκρας καὶ παρενέβαλεν εἰς Βαιθζαχαρια ἀπέναντι τῆς παρεμβολῆς τοῦ βασιλέως 1Mc 6:32
¶Judas marched away from the citadel and encamped at Bethzacharias, near the king’s camp.
- - - 33 1Mc 6:33 33 καὶ ὤρθρισεν ὁ βασιλεὺς τὸ πρωὶ καὶ ἀπῆρεν τὴν παρεμβολὴν ἐν ὁρμήματι αὐτῆς κατὰ τὴν ὁδὸν Βαιθζαχαρια καὶ διεσκευάσθησαν αἱ δυνάμεις εἰς τὸν πόλεμον καὶ ἐσάλπισαν ταῖς σάλπιγξιν 1Mc 6:33
The king rose early in the morning, and marched his army
at full speed along the road to Bethzacharias. His forces made themselves ready to battle and sounded their trumpets.
- - - 34 1Mc 6:34 34 καὶ τοῖς ἐλέφασιν ἔδειξαν αἷμα σταφυλῆς καὶ μόρων τοῦ παραστῆσαι αὐτοὺς εἰς τὸν πόλεμον 1Mc 6:34
They offered the elephants the juice of grapes and mulberries, that they might prepare them for the battle.
- - - 35 1Mc 6:35 35 καὶ διεῖλον τὰ θηρία εἰς τὰς φάλαγγας καὶ παρέστησαν ἑκάστῳ ἐλέφαντι χιλίους ἄνδρας τεθωρακισμένους ἐν ἁλυσιδωτοῖς καὶ περικεφαλαῖαι χαλκαῖ ἐπὶ τῶν κεφαλῶν αὐτῶν καὶ πεντακοσία ἵππος διατεταγμένη ἑκάστῳ θηρίῳ ἐκλελεγμένη 1Mc 6:35
They distributed the animals among the phalanxes. They set by each elephant a thousand men armed with coats of mail and helmets of brass on their heads. Five hundred chosen cavalry were appointed for each elephant.
- - - 36 1Mc 6:36 36 οὗτοι πρὸ καιροῦ οὗ ἂν ᾖ τὸ θηρίον ἦσαν καὶ οὗ ἐὰν ἐπορεύετο ἐπορεύοντο ἅμα οὐκ ἀφίσταντο ἀπ’ αὐτοῦ 1Mc 6:36
These were ready beforehand, wherever the elephant was. Wherever the elephant went, they went with it. They didn’t leave it.
- - - 37 1Mc 6:37 37 καὶ πύργοι ξύλινοι ἐπ’ αὐτοὺς ὀχυροὶ σκεπαζόμενοι ἐφ’ ἑκάστου θηρίου ἐζωσμένοι ἐπ’ αὐτοῦ μηχαναῖς καὶ ἐφ’ ἑκάστου ἄνδρες δυνάμεως τέσσαρες οἱ πολεμοῦντες ἐπ’ αὐτοῖς καὶ ὁ Ἰνδὸς αὐτοῦ 1Mc 6:37
Strong, covered wooden towers were upon them, one upon each elephant, fastened upon it with secure harnesses. Upon each were four valiant men who fought upon them, beside his Indian driver.
- - - 38 1Mc 6:38 38 καὶ τὴν ἐπίλοιπον ἵππον ἔνθεν καὶ ἔνθεν ἔστησεν ἐπὶ τὰ δύο μέρη τῆς παρεμβολῆς κατασείοντες καὶ καταφρασσόμενοι ἐν ταῖς φάλαγξιν 1Mc 6:38
The rest of the cavalry he set on this side and that side on the two flanks of the army, striking terror into the enemy, and protected by the phalanxes.
- - - 39 1Mc 6:39 39 ὡς δὲ ἔστιλβεν ὁ ἥλιος ἐπὶ τὰς χρυσᾶς καὶ χαλκᾶς ἀσπίδας ἔστιλβεν τὰ ὄρη ἀπ’ αὐτῶν καὶ κατηύγαζεν ὡς λαμπάδες πυρός 1Mc 6:39
Now when the sun shone upon the shields of gold and brass, the mountains lit up, and blazed like flaming torches.
- - - 40 1Mc 6:40 40 καὶ ἐξετάθη μέρος τι τῆς παρεμβολῆς τοῦ βασιλέως ἐπὶ τὰ ὑψηλὰ ὄρη καί τινες ἐπὶ τὰ ταπεινά καὶ ἤρχοντο ἀσφαλῶς καὶ τεταγμένως 1Mc 6:40
¶A part of the king’s army was spread upon the high hills and some on the low ground, and they went on firmly and in order.
- - - 41 1Mc 6:41 41 καὶ ἐσαλεύοντο πάντες οἱ ἀκούοντες φωνῆς πλήθους αὐτῶν καὶ ὁδοιπορίας τοῦ πλήθους καὶ συγκρουσμοῦ τῶν ὅπλων ἦν γὰρ ἡ παρεμβολὴ μεγάλη σφόδρα καὶ ἰσχυρά 1Mc 6:41
All who heard the noise of their multitude, the marching of the multitude, and the rattling of the weapons trembled; for the army was exceedingly great and strong.
- - - 42 1Mc 6:42 42 καὶ ἤγγισεν Ιουδας καὶ ἡ παρεμβολὴ αὐτοῦ εἰς παράταξιν καὶ ἔπεσον ἀπὸ τῆς παρεμβολῆς τοῦ βασιλέως ἑξακόσιοι ἄνδρες 1Mc 6:42
Judas and his army drew near for battle, and six hundred men of the king’s army fell.
- - - 43 1Mc 6:43 43 καὶ εἶδεν Ελεαζαρος ὁ Αυαραν ἓν τῶν θηρίων τεθωρακισμένον θώραξιν βασιλικοῖς καὶ ἦν ὑπεράγον πάντα τὰ θηρία καὶ ᾠήθη ὅτι ἐν αὐτῷ ἐστιν ὁ βασιλεύς 1Mc 6:43
Eleazar, who was called Avaran, saw one of the animals armed with royal breastplates, and it was taller than all the animals, and the king seemed to be on it.
- - - 44 1Mc 6:44 44 καὶ ἔδωκεν ἑαυτὸν τοῦ σῶσαι τὸν λαὸν αὐτοῦ καὶ περιποιῆσαι ἑαυτῷ ὄνομα αἰώνιον 1Mc 6:44
He gave his life to deliver his people, and to get himself an everlasting name.
- - - 45 1Mc 6:45 45 καὶ ἐπέδραμεν αὐτῷ θράσει εἰς μέσον τῆς φάλαγγος καὶ ἐθανάτου δεξιὰ καὶ εὐώνυμα καὶ ἐσχίζοντο ἀπ’ αὐτοῦ ἔνθα καὶ ἔνθα 1Mc 6:45
He ran upon him courageously into the midst of the phalanx, and killed on the right hand and on the left, and they parted away from him on this side and on that.
- - - 46 1Mc 6:46 46 καὶ εἰσέδυ ὑπὸ τὸν ἐλέφαντα καὶ ὑπέθηκεν αὐτῷ καὶ ἀνεῖλεν αὐτόν καὶ ἔπεσεν ἐπὶ τὴν γῆν ἐπάνω αὐτοῦ καὶ ἀπέθανεν ἐκεῖ 1Mc 6:46
He crept under the elephant, and stabbed it from beneath, and killed it. The elephant fell to the earth upon him, and he died there.
- - - 47 1Mc 6:47 47 καὶ εἶδον τὴν ἰσχὺν τῆς βασιλείας καὶ τὸ ὅρμημα τῶν δυνάμεων καὶ ἐξέκλιναν ἀπ’ αὐτῶν 1Mc 6:47
They saw the strength of the kingdom and the fierce attack of the army, and turned away from them.
- - - 48 1Mc 6:48 48 οἱ δὲ ἐκ τῆς παρεμβολῆς τοῦ βασιλέως ἀνέβαινον εἰς συνάντησιν αὐτῶν εἰς Ιερουσαλημ καὶ παρενέβαλεν ὁ βασιλεὺς εἰς τὴν Ιουδαίαν καὶ εἰς τὸ ὄρος Σιων 1Mc 6:48
¶But the soldiers of the king’s army went up to Jerusalem to meet them, and the king encamped toward Judea and toward mount Zion.
- - - 49 1Mc 6:49 49 καὶ ἐποίησεν εἰρήνην μετὰ τῶν ἐκ Βαιθσουρων καὶ ἐξῆλθον ἐκ τῆς πόλεως ὅτι οὐκ ἦν αὐτοῖς ἐκεῖ διατροφὴ τοῦ συγκεκλεῖσθαι ἐν αὐτῇ ὅτι σάββατον ἦν τῇ γῇ 1Mc 6:49
He made peace with the people of Bethsura. He came out of the city because they had no food there to endure the siege, because it was a Sabbath to the land.
- - - 50 1Mc 6:50 50 καὶ κατελάβετο ὁ βασιλεὺς τὴν Βαιθσουραν καὶ ἀπέταξεν ἐκεῖ φρουρὰν τηρεῖν αὐτήν 1Mc 6:50
The king took Bethsura, and appointed a garrison there to keep it.
- - - 51 1Mc 6:51 51 καὶ παρενέβαλεν ἐπὶ τὸ ἁγίασμα ἡμέρας πολλὰς καὶ ἔστησεν ἐκεῖ βελοστάσεις καὶ μηχανὰς καὶ πυροβόλα καὶ λιθοβόλα καὶ σκορπίδια εἰς τὸ βάλλεσθαι βέλη καὶ σφενδόνας 1Mc 6:51
He encamped against the sanctuary many days; and set there mounds to shoot from, and engines of war, and machines for throwing fire and stones, and weapons to throw darts, and slings.
- - - 52 1Mc 6:52 52 καὶ ἐποίησαν καὶ αὐτοὶ μηχανὰς πρὸς τὰς μηχανὰς αὐτῶν καὶ ἐπολέμησαν ἡμέρας πολλάς 1Mc 6:52
The Jews also made engines of war against their engines, and fought for many days.
- - - 53 1Mc 6:53 53 βρώματα δὲ οὐκ ἦν ἐν τοῖς ἀγγείοις διὰ τὸ ἕβδομον ἔτος εἶναι καὶ οἱ ἀνασῳζόμενοι εἰς τὴν Ιουδαίαν ἀπὸ τῶν ἐθνῶν κατέφαγον τὸ ὑπόλειμμα τῆς παραθέσεως 1Mc 6:53
But there was no food in the sanctuary, because it was the seventh year, and those who fled for safety into Judea from among the Gentiles had eaten up the rest of the stores.
- - - 54 1Mc 6:54 54 καὶ ὑπελείφθησαν ἐν τοῖς ἁγίοις ἄνδρες ὀλίγοι ὅτι κατεκράτησεν αὐτῶν ὁ λιμός καὶ ἐσκορπίσθησαν ἕκαστος εἰς τὸν τόπον αὐτοῦ 1Mc 6:54
There were only a few people left in the sanctuary, because the famine prevailed against them, and they were scattered, each man to his own place.
- - - 55 1Mc 6:55 55 καὶ ἤκουσεν Λυσίας ὅτι Φίλιππος ὃν κατέστησεν ὁ βασιλεὺς Ἀντίοχος ἔτι ζῶντος αὐτοῦ ἐκθρέψαι Ἀντίοχον τὸν υἱὸν αὐτοῦ εἰς τὸ βασιλεῦσαι αὐτόν 1Mc 6:55
¶Lysias heard that Philip, whom Antiochus the king, while he was yet alive, appointed to raise his son Antiochus to be king,
- - - 56 1Mc 6:56 56 ἀπέστρεψεν ἀπὸ τῆς Περσίδος καὶ Μηδίας καὶ αἱ δυνάμεις αἱ πορευθεῖσαι μετὰ τοῦ βασιλέως μετ’ αὐτοῦ καὶ ὅτι ζητεῖ παραλαβεῖν τὰ τῶν πραγμάτων 1Mc 6:56
had returned from Persia and Media, and with him the forces that went with the king, and that he was seeking to take control of the government.
- - - 57 1Mc 6:57 57 καὶ κατέσπευδεν καὶ ἐπένευσεν τοῦ ἀπελθεῖν καὶ εἶπεν πρὸς τὸν βασιλέα καὶ τοὺς ἡγεμόνας τῆς δυνάμεως καὶ τοὺς ἄνδρας ἐκλείπομεν καθ’ ἡμέραν καὶ ἡ τροφὴ ἡμῖν ὀλίγη καὶ ὁ τόπος οὗ παρεμβάλλομέν ἐστιν ὀχυρός καὶ ἐπίκειται ἡμῖν τὰ τῆς βασιλείας 1Mc 6:57
He made haste, and gave orders to depart. He said to the king and the leaders of the army and to the men, “We get weaker daily, our food is scant, the place where we encamp is strong, and the affairs of the kingdom lie upon us.
- - - 58 1Mc 6:58 58 νῦν οὖν δῶμεν δεξιὰς τοῖς ἀνθρώποις τούτοις καὶ ποιήσωμεν μετ’ αὐτῶν εἰρήνην καὶ μετὰ παντὸς ἔθνους αὐτῶν 1Mc 6:58
Now therefore let’s negotiate with these men, and make peace with them and with all their nation,
- - - 59 1Mc 6:59 59 καὶ στήσωμεν αὐτοῖς τοῦ πορεύεσθαι τοῖς νομίμοις αὐτῶν ὡς τὸ πρότερον χάριν γὰρ τῶν νομίμων αὐτῶν ὧν διεσκεδάσαμεν ὠργίσθησαν καὶ ἐποίησαν ταῦτα πάντα 1Mc 6:59
and covenant with them, that they may walk after their own laws, as before; for because of their laws which we abolished they were angered, and did all these things.”
- - - 60 1Mc 6:60 60 καὶ ἤρεσεν ὁ λόγος ἐναντίον τοῦ βασιλέως καὶ τῶν ἀρχόντων καὶ ἀπέστειλεν πρὸς αὐτοὺς εἰρηνεῦσαι καὶ ἐπεδέξαντο 1Mc 6:60
¶The speech pleased the king and the princes, and he sent to them to make peace; and they accepted it.
- - - 61 1Mc 6:61 61 καὶ ὤμοσεν αὐτοῖς ὁ βασιλεὺς καὶ οἱ ἄρχοντες ἐπὶ τούτοις ἐξῆλθον ἐκ τοῦ ὀχυρώματος 1Mc 6:61
The king and the princes swore to them. On these conditions, they came out from the stronghold.
- - - 62 1Mc 6:62 62 καὶ εἰσῆλθεν ὁ βασιλεὺς εἰς ὄρος Σιων καὶ εἶδεν τὸ ὀχύρωμα τοῦ τόπου καὶ ἠθέτησεν τὸν ὁρκισμόν ὃν ὤμοσεν καὶ ἐνετείλατο καθελεῖν τὸ τεῖχος κυκλόθεν 1Mc 6:62
Then the king entered into mount Zion. He saw the strength of the place, and broke the oath which he had sworn, and gave orders to pull down the wall all around.
- - - 63 1Mc 6:63 63 καὶ ἀπῆρεν κατὰ σπουδὴν καὶ ἀπέστρεψεν εἰς Ἀντιόχειαν καὶ εὗρεν Φίλιππον κυριεύοντα τῆς πόλεως καὶ ἐπολέμησεν πρὸς αὐτὸν καὶ κατελάβετο τὴν πόλιν βίᾳ 1Mc 6:63
Then he left in haste and returned to Antioch, and found Philip master of the city. He fought against him, and took the city by force.
- - -
Match Diacritics KEYMAP Wildcard