Μακκαβαίων Αʹ 1 Maccabees
CATSS LXX Wiki Latin Translation LXX / Vulgata Clementina Westminster Leningrad Codex Wiki Latin Translation HB / Vulgata Clementina 1 1Mc 7:1 1 ἔτους ἑνὸς καὶ πεντηκοστοῦ καὶ ἑκατοστοῦ ἐξῆλθεν Δημήτριος ὁ τοῦ Σελεύκου ἐκ Ῥώμης καὶ ἀνέβη σὺν ἀνδράσιν ὀλίγοις εἰς πόλιν παραθαλασσίαν καὶ ἐβασίλευσεν ἐκεῖ 1Mc 7:1
¶In the one hundred fifty first year,
Demetrius the son of Seleucus came out of Rome, and went up with a few men to a city by the sea, and reigned there.
- - - 2 1Mc 7:2 2 καὶ ἐγένετο ὡς εἰσεπορεύετο εἰς οἶκον βασιλείας πατέρων αὐτοῦ καὶ συνέλαβον αἱ δυνάμεις τὸν Ἀντίοχον καὶ τὸν Λυσίαν ἀγαγεῖν αὐτοὺς αὐτῷ 1Mc 7:2
It came to pass, when he would go into the house of the kingdom of his fathers, that the army laid hands on Antiochus and Lysias, to bring them to him.
- - - 3 1Mc 7:3 3 καὶ ἐγνώσθη αὐτῷ τὸ πρᾶγμα καὶ εἶπεν μή μοι δείξητε τὰ πρόσωπα αὐτῶν 1Mc 7:3
The thing became known to him, and he said, “Don’t show me their faces!”
- - - 4 1Mc 7:4 4 καὶ ἀπέκτειναν αὐτοὺς αἱ δυνάμεις καὶ ἐκάθισεν Δημήτριος ἐπὶ θρόνου βασιλείας αὐτοῦ 1Mc 7:4
So the army killed them. Then Demetrius sat upon the throne of his kingdom.
- - - 5 1Mc 7:5 5 καὶ ἦλθον πρὸς αὐτὸν πάντες ἄνδρες ἄνομοι καὶ ἀσεβεῖς ἐξ Ισραηλ καὶ Ἄλκιμος ἡγεῖτο αὐτῶν βουλόμενος ἱερατεύειν 1Mc 7:5
¶All the lawless and ungodly men of Israel came to him. Alcimus was their leader, desiring to be high priest.
- - - 6 1Mc 7:6 6 καὶ κατηγόρησαν τοῦ λαοῦ πρὸς τὸν βασιλέα λέγοντες ἀπώλεσεν Ιουδας καὶ οἱ ἀδελφοὶ αὐτοῦ πάντας τοὺς φίλους σου καὶ ἡμᾶς ἐσκόρπισεν ἀπὸ τῆς γῆς ἡμῶν 1Mc 7:6
They accused the people to the king, saying, “Judas and his kindred have destroyed all your friends, and have scattered us from our own land.
- - - 7 1Mc 7:7 7 νῦν οὖν ἀπόστειλον ἄνδρα ᾧ πιστεύεις καὶ πορευθεὶς ἰδέτω τὴν ἐξολέθρευσιν πᾶσαν ἣν ἐποίησεν ἡμῖν καὶ τῇ χώρᾳ τοῦ βασιλέως καὶ κολασάτω αὐτοὺς καὶ πάντας τοὺς ἐπιβοηθοῦντας αὐτοῖς 1Mc 7:7
Now therefore send a man whom you trust, and let him go and see all the destruction which he has brought on us and the king’s country, and how he has punished them and all who helped them.”
- - - 8 1Mc 7:8 8 καὶ ἐπέλεξεν ὁ βασιλεὺς τὸν Βακχίδην τῶν φίλων τοῦ βασιλέως κυριεύοντα ἐν τῷ πέραν τοῦ ποταμοῦ καὶ μέγαν ἐν τῇ βασιλείᾳ καὶ πιστὸν τῷ βασιλεῖ 1Mc 7:8
So the king chose Bacchides, one of the king’s
friends, who was ruler in the country beyond the river, and was a great man in the kingdom, and faithful to the king.
- - - 9 1Mc 7:9 9 καὶ ἀπέστειλεν αὐτὸν καὶ Ἄλκιμον τὸν ἀσεβῆ καὶ ἔστησεν αὐτῷ τὴν ἱερωσύνην καὶ ἐνετείλατο αὐτῷ ποιῆσαι τὴν ἐκδίκησιν ἐν τοῖς υἱοῖς Ισραηλ 1Mc 7:9
He sent him and that ungodly Alcimus, whom he made the high priest; and he commanded him to take vengeance upon the children of Israel.
- - - 10 1Mc 7:10 10 καὶ ἀπῇρον καὶ ἦλθον μετὰ δυνάμεως πολλῆς εἰς γῆν Ιουδα καὶ ἀπέστειλεν ἀγγέλους πρὸς Ιουδαν καὶ τοὺς ἀδελφοὺς αὐτοῦ λόγοις εἰρηνικοῖς μετὰ δόλου 1Mc 7:10
¶They marched away and came with a great army into the land of Judah. He sent messengers to Judas and his kindred with words of peace deceitfully.
- - - 11 1Mc 7:11 11 καὶ οὐ προσέσχον τοῖς λόγοις αὐτῶν εἶδον γὰρ ὅτι ἦλθαν μετὰ δυνάμεως πολλῆς 1Mc 7:11
They paid no attention to their words; for they saw that they had come with a great army.
- - - 12 1Mc 7:12 12 καὶ ἐπισυνήχθησαν πρὸς Ἄλκιμον καὶ Βακχίδην συναγωγὴ γραμματέων ἐκζητῆσαι δίκαια 1Mc 7:12
A group of scribes gathered together to Alcimus and Bacchides to seek just terms.
- - - 13 1Mc 7:13 13 καὶ πρῶτοι οἱ Ασιδαῖοι ἦσαν ἐν υἱοῖς Ισραηλ καὶ ἐπεζήτουν παρ’ αὐτῶν εἰρήνην 1Mc 7:13
Hasidaeans were the first among the children of Israel who sought peace from them,
- - - 14 1Mc 7:14 14 εἶπον γάρ ἄνθρωπος ἱερεὺς ἐκ σπέρματος Ααρων ἦλθεν ἐν ταῖς δυνάμεσιν καὶ οὐκ ἀδικήσει ἡμᾶς 1Mc 7:14
for they said, “One who is a priest of the seed of Aaron has come with the army, and he will do us no wrong.”
- - - 15 1Mc 7:15 15 καὶ ἐλάλησεν μετ’ αὐτῶν λόγους εἰρηνικοὺς καὶ ὤμοσεν αὐτοῖς λέγων οὐκ ἐκζητήσομεν ὑμῖν κακὸν καὶ τοῖς φίλοις ὑμῶν 1Mc 7:15
He spoke with them words of peace, and swore to them, saying, “We won’t seek to harm you or your friends.”
- - - 16 1Mc 7:16 16 καὶ ἐνεπίστευσαν αὐτῷ καὶ συνέλαβεν ἐξ αὐτῶν ἑξήκοντα ἄνδρας καὶ ἀπέκτεινεν αὐτοὺς ἐν ἡμέρᾳ μιᾷ κατὰ τὸν λόγον ὃν ἔγραψεν αὐτόν 1Mc 7:16
They trusted him. Then he seized sixty men of them, and killed them in one day, according to the word which was written,
- - - 17 1Mc 7:17 17 σάρκας ὁσίων σου καὶ αἷμα αὐτῶν ἐξέχεαν κύκλῳ Ιερουσαλημ καὶ οὐκ ἦν αὐτοῖς ὁ θάπτων 1Mc 7:17 *
The flesh of your saints and their blood was shed all around Jerusalem, and there was no one to bury them.
- - - 18 1Mc 7:18 18 καὶ ἐπέπεσεν αὐτῶν ὁ φόβος καὶ ὁ τρόμος εἰς πάντα τὸν λαόν ὅτι εἶπον οὐκ ἔστιν ἐν αὐτοῖς ἀλήθεια καὶ κρίσις παρέβησαν γὰρ τὴν στάσιν καὶ τὸν ὅρκον ὃν ὤμοσαν 1Mc 7:18
¶The fear and the dread of them fell upon all the people, for they said, “There is neither truth nor justice in them; for they have broken the covenant and the oath which they swore.”
- - - 19 1Mc 7:19 19 καὶ ἀπῆρεν Βακχίδης ἀπὸ Ιερουσαλημ καὶ παρενέβαλεν ἐν Βηθζαιθ καὶ ἀπέστειλεν καὶ συνέλαβεν πολλοὺς ἀπὸ τῶν μετ’ αὐτοῦ αὐτομολησάντων ἀνδρῶν καί τινας τοῦ λαοῦ καὶ ἔθυσεν αὐτοὺς εἰς τὸ φρέαρ τὸ μέγα 1Mc 7:19
Bacchides withdrew from Jerusalem, and encamped in Bezeth. He sent and seized many of the deserters who were with him, and some of the people, and he killed them, throwing them into a large pit.
- - - 20 1Mc 7:20 20 καὶ κατέστησεν τὴν χώραν τῷ Ἀλκίμῳ καὶ ἀφῆκεν μετ’ αὐτοῦ δύναμιν τοῦ βοηθεῖν αὐτῷ καὶ ἀπῆλθεν Βακχίδης πρὸς τὸν βασιλέα 1Mc 7:20
He placed Alcimus in charge of the country and left with him a force to aid him. Then Bacchides went away to the king.
- - - 21 1Mc 7:21 21 καὶ ἠγωνίσατο Ἄλκιμος περὶ τῆς ἀρχιερωσύνης 1Mc 7:21
¶Alcimus struggled to maintain his high priesthood.
- - - 22 1Mc 7:22 22 καὶ συνήχθησαν πρὸς αὐτὸν πάντες οἱ ταράσσοντες τὸν λαὸν αὐτῶν καὶ κατεκράτησαν γῆν Ιουδα καὶ ἐποίησαν πληγὴν μεγάλην ἐν Ισραηλ 1Mc 7:22
All those who troubled their people joined him, and they took control of the land of Judah, and did great damage in Israel.
- - - 23 1Mc 7:23 23 καὶ εἶδεν Ιουδας πᾶσαν τὴν κακίαν ἣν ἐποίησεν Ἄλκιμος καὶ οἱ μετ’ αὐτοῦ ἐν υἱοῖς Ισραηλ ὑπὲρ τὰ ἔθνη 1Mc 7:23
Judas saw all the wrongs that Alcimus and his company had done among the children of Israel, even more than the Gentiles.
- - - 24 1Mc 7:24 24 καὶ ἐξῆλθεν εἰς πάντα τὰ ὅρια τῆς Ιουδαίας κυκλόθεν καὶ ἐποίησεν ἐκδίκησιν ἐν τοῖς ἀνδράσιν τοῖς αὐτομολήσασιν καὶ ἀνεστάλησαν τοῦ ἐκπορεύεσθαι εἰς τὴν χώραν 1Mc 7:24
He went out into all the borders of Judea and took vengeance on the men who had deserted from him, and they were restrained from going out into the country.
- - - 25 1Mc 7:25 25 ὡς δὲ εἶδεν Ἄλκιμος ὅτι ἐνίσχυσεν Ιουδας καὶ οἱ μετ’ αὐτοῦ καὶ ἔγνω ὅτι οὐ δύναται ὑποστῆναι αὐτούς καὶ ἐπέστρεψεν πρὸς τὸν βασιλέα καὶ κατηγόρησεν αὐτῶν πονηρά 1Mc 7:25
But when Alcimus saw that Judas and his company had grown strong, and knew that he was not able to withstand them, he returned to the king, and brought evil accusations against them.
- - - 26 1Mc 7:26 26 καὶ ἀπέστειλεν ὁ βασιλεὺς Νικάνορα ἕνα τῶν ἀρχόντων αὐτοῦ τῶν ἐνδόξων καὶ μισοῦντα καὶ ἐχθραίνοντα τῷ Ισραηλ καὶ ἐνετείλατο αὐτῷ ἐξᾶραι τὸν λαόν 1Mc 7:26
Then the king sent Nicanor, one of his honorable princes, a man who hated Israel and was their enemy, and commanded him to destroy the people.
- - - 27 1Mc 7:27 27 καὶ ἦλθεν Νικάνωρ εἰς Ιερουσαλημ δυνάμει πολλῇ καὶ ἀπέστειλεν πρὸς Ιουδαν καὶ τοὺς ἀδελφοὺς αὐτοῦ μετὰ δόλου λόγοις εἰρηνικοῖς λέγων 1Mc 7:27
Nicanor came to Jerusalem with a great army. He sent to Judas and his kindred deceitfully with words of peace, saying,
- - - 28 1Mc 7:28 28 μὴ ἔστω μάχη ἀνὰ μέσον ἐμοῦ καὶ ὑμῶν ἥξω ἐν ἀνδράσιν ὀλίγοις ἵνα ἴδω ὑμῶν τὰ πρόσωπα μετ’ εἰρήνης 1Mc 7:28
“Let there be no battle between me and you; I will come with a few men, that I may see your faces in peace.”
- - - 29 1Mc 7:29 29 καὶ ἦλθεν πρὸς Ιουδαν καὶ ἠσπάσαντο ἀλλήλους εἰρηνικῶς καὶ οἱ πολέμιοι ἕτοιμοι ἦσαν ἐξαρπάσαι τὸν Ιουδαν 1Mc 7:29
He came to Judas, and they saluted one another peaceably. The enemies were ready to seize Judas by violence.
- - - 30 1Mc 7:30 30 καὶ ἐγνώσθη ὁ λόγος τῷ Ιουδα ὅτι μετὰ δόλου ἦλθεν ἐπ’ αὐτόν καὶ ἐπτοήθη ἀπ’ αὐτοῦ καὶ οὐκ ἐβουλήθη ἔτι ἰδεῖν τὸ πρόσωπον αὐτοῦ 1Mc 7:30
This was known to Judas, that he came to him with deceit, and he was very afraid of him, and would see his face no more.
- - - 31 1Mc 7:31 31 καὶ ἔγνω Νικάνωρ ὅτι ἀπεκαλύφθη ἡ βουλὴ αὐτοῦ καὶ ἐξῆλθεν εἰς συνάντησιν τῷ Ιουδα ἐν πολέμῳ κατὰ Χαφαρσαλαμα 1Mc 7:31
Nicanor found out that his plan was disclosed; and he went out to meet Judas in battle beside Capharsalama.
- - - 32 1Mc 7:32 32 καὶ ἔπεσον τῶν παρὰ Νικάνορος ὡσεὶ πεντακόσιοι ἄνδρες καὶ ἔφυγον εἰς τὴν πόλιν Δαυιδ 1Mc 7:32
About five hundred men of Nicanor’s army fell, and the rest fled into the city of David.
- - - 33 1Mc 7:33 33 καὶ μετὰ τοὺς λόγους τούτους ἀνέβη Νικάνωρ εἰς ὄρος Σιων καὶ ἐξῆλθον ἀπὸ τῶν ἱερέων ἐκ τῶν ἁγίων καὶ ἀπὸ τῶν πρεσβυτέρων τοῦ λαοῦ ἀσπάσασθαι αὐτὸν εἰρηνικῶς καὶ δεῖξαι αὐτῷ τὴν ὁλοκαύτωσιν τὴν προσφερομένην ὑπὲρ τοῦ βασιλέως 1Mc 7:33
¶After these things, Nicanor went up to mount Zion. Some of the priests came out of the sanctuary, with some of the elders of the people, to salute him peaceably, and to show him the whole burned sacrifice that was being offered for the king.
- - - 34 1Mc 7:34 34 καὶ ἐμυκτήρισεν αὐτοὺς καὶ κατεγέλασεν αὐτῶν καὶ ἐμίανεν αὐτοὺς καὶ ἐλάλησεν ὑπερηφάνως 1Mc 7:34
He mocked them, laughed at them, derided them shamefully,
- - - 35 1Mc 7:35 35 καὶ ὤμοσεν μετὰ θυμοῦ λέγων ἐὰν μὴ παραδοθῇ Ιουδας καὶ ἡ παρεμβολὴ αὐτοῦ εἰς χεῖράς μου τὸ νῦν καὶ ἔσται ἐὰν ἐπιστρέψω ἐν εἰρήνῃ ἐμπυριῶ τὸν οἶκον τοῦτον καὶ ἐξῆλθεν μετὰ θυμοῦ μεγάλου 1Mc 7:35
and swore in a rage, saying, “Unless Judas and his army are now delivered into my hands, it shall be that, if I return safely, I will burn up this house!” And he went out in a great rage.
- - - 36 1Mc 7:36 36 καὶ εἰσῆλθον οἱ ἱερεῖς καὶ ἔστησαν κατὰ πρόσωπον τοῦ θυσιαστηρίου καὶ τοῦ ναοῦ καὶ ἔκλαυσαν καὶ εἶπον 1Mc 7:36
The priests entered in, and stood before the altar and the temple; and they wept, and said,
- - - 37 1Mc 7:37 37 σὺ ἐξελέξω τὸν οἶκον τοῦτον ἐπικληθῆναι τὸ ὄνομά σου ἐπ’ αὐτοῦ εἶναι οἶκον προσευχῆς καὶ δεήσεως τῷ λαῷ σου 1Mc 7:37
“You chose this house to be called by your name, to be a house of prayer and supplication for your people.
- - - 38 1Mc 7:38 38 ποίησον ἐκδίκησιν ἐν τῷ ἀνθρώπῳ τούτῳ καὶ ἐν τῇ παρεμβολῇ αὐτοῦ καὶ πεσέτωσαν ἐν ῥομφαίᾳ μνήσθητι τῶν δυσφημιῶν αὐτῶν καὶ μὴ δῷς αὐτοῖς μονήν 1Mc 7:38
Take vengeance on this man and his army, and let them fall by the sword. Remember their blasphemies, and don’t allow them to live any longer.”
- - - 39 1Mc 7:39 39 καὶ ἐξῆλθεν Νικάνωρ ἐξ Ιερουσαλημ καὶ παρενέβαλεν ἐν Βαιθωρων καὶ συνήντησεν αὐτῷ δύναμις Συρίας 1Mc 7:39
¶Then Nicanor went out from Jerusalem and encamped in Bethhoron, and there the Syrian army met him.
- - - 40 1Mc 7:40 40 καὶ Ιουδας παρενέβαλεν ἐν Αδασα ἐν τρισχιλίοις ἀνδράσιν καὶ προσηύξατο Ιουδας καὶ εἶπεν 1Mc 7:40
Judas encamped in Adasa with three thousand men. Judas prayed and said,
- - - 41 1Mc 7:41 41 οἱ παρὰ τοῦ βασιλέως ὅτε ἐδυσφήμησαν ἐξῆλθεν ὁ ἄγγελός σου καὶ ἐπάταξεν ἐν αὐτοῖς ἑκατὸν ὀγδοήκοντα πέντε χιλιάδας 1Mc 7:41
“When those who came from the king blasphemed, your angel went out, and struck among them one hundred eighty-five thousand.
- - - 42 1Mc 7:42 42 οὕτως σύντριψον τὴν παρεμβολὴν ταύτην ἐνώπιον ἡμῶν σήμερον καὶ γνώτωσαν οἱ ἐπίλοιποι ὅτι κακῶς ἐλάλησεν ἐπὶ τὰ ἅγιά σου καὶ κρῖνον αὐτὸν κατὰ τὴν κακίαν αὐτοῦ 1Mc 7:42
Even so, crush this army before us today, and let all the rest know that he has spoken wickedly against your sanctuary. Judge him according to his wickedness.”
- - - 43 1Mc 7:43 43 καὶ συνῆψαν αἱ παρεμβολαὶ εἰς πόλεμον τῇ τρισκαιδεκάτῃ τοῦ μηνὸς Αδαρ καὶ συνετρίβη ἡ παρεμβολὴ Νικάνορος καὶ ἔπεσεν αὐτὸς πρῶτος ἐν τῷ πολέμῳ 1Mc 7:43
On the thirteenth day of the month Adar, the armies met in battle. Nicanor’s army was defeated, and he himself was the first to fall in the battle.
- - - 44 1Mc 7:44 44 ὡς δὲ εἶδεν ἡ παρεμβολὴ αὐτοῦ ὅτι ἔπεσεν Νικάνωρ ῥίψαντες τὰ ὅπλα ἔφυγον 1Mc 7:44
Now when his army saw that Nicanor had fallen, they threw away their weapons and fled.
- - - 45 1Mc 7:45 45 καὶ κατεδίωκον αὐτοὺς ὁδὸν ἡμέρας μιᾶς ἀπὸ Αδασα ἕως τοῦ ἐλθεῖν εἰς Γαζηρα καὶ ἐσάλπιζον ὀπίσω αὐτῶν ταῖς σάλπιγξιν τῶν σημασιῶν 1Mc 7:45
They pursued them a day’s journey from Adasa until you come to
Gazara, and they sounded an alarm after them with the signal trumpets.
- - - 46 1Mc 7:46 46 καὶ ἐξῆλθον ἐκ πασῶν τῶν κωμῶν τῆς Ιουδαίας κυκλόθεν καὶ ὑπερεκέρων αὐτούς καὶ ἀπέστρεφον οὗτοι πρὸς τούτους καὶ ἔπεσον πάντες ῥομφαίᾳ καὶ οὐ κατελείφθη ἐξ αὐτῶν οὐδὲ εἷς 1Mc 7:46
Men came out of all the surrounding villages of Judea, and outflanked them. These turned them back on those, and they all fell by the sword. There wasn’t one of them left.
- - - 47 1Mc 7:47 47 καὶ ἔλαβον τὰ σκῦλα καὶ τὴν προνομήν καὶ τὴν κεφαλὴν Νικάνορος ἀφεῖλον καὶ τὴν δεξιὰν αὐτοῦ ἣν ἐξέτεινεν ὑπερηφάνως καὶ ἤνεγκαν καὶ ἐξέτειναν παρὰ τῇ Ιερουσαλημ 1Mc 7:47
The Jews took the spoils and the booty, and they cut off Nicanor’s head and his right hand, which he had stretched out so arrogantly, and brought them, and hung them up beside Jerusalem.
- - - 48 1Mc 7:48 48 καὶ ηὐφράνθη ὁ λαὸς σφόδρα καὶ ἤγαγον τὴν ἡμέραν ἐκείνην ἡμέραν εὐφροσύνης μεγάλην 1Mc 7:48
The people were exceedingly glad, and they kept that day as a day of great gladness.
- - - 49 1Mc 7:49 49 καὶ ἔστησαν τοῦ ἄγειν κατ’ ἐνιαυτὸν τὴν ἡμέραν ταύτην τῇ τρισκαιδεκάτῃ τοῦ Αδαρ 1Mc 7:49 *
They ordained to keep this day year by year on the thirteenth day of Adar.
- - - 50 1Mc 7:50 50 καὶ ἡσύχασεν ἡ γῆ Ιουδα ἡμέρας ὀλίγας 1Mc 7:50
So the land of Judah had rest a few days.
- - -
Match Diacritics KEYMAP Wildcard