Μακκαβαίων Αʹ 1 Maccabees
CATSS LXX Wiki Latin Translation LXX / Vulgata Clementina Westminster Leningrad Codex Wiki Latin Translation HB / Vulgata Clementina 1 1Mc 8:1 1 καὶ ἤκουσεν Ιουδας τὸ ὄνομα τῶν Ῥωμαίων ὅτι εἰσὶν δυνατοὶ ἰσχύι καὶ αὐτοὶ εὐδοκοῦσιν ἐν πᾶσιν τοῖς προστιθεμένοις αὐτοῖς καὶ ὅσοι ἂν προσέλθωσιν αὐτοῖς ἱστῶσιν αὐτοῖς φιλίαν καὶ ὅτι εἰσὶ δυνατοὶ ἰσχύι 1Mc 8:1
¶Judas heard of the fame of the Romans, that they are valiant men, and have pleasure in all who join themselves to them, and make friends with all who come to them,
- - - 2 1Mc 8:2 2 καὶ διηγήσαντο αὐτῷ τοὺς πολέμους αὐτῶν καὶ τὰς ἀνδραγαθίας ἃς ποιοῦσιν ἐν τοῖς Γαλάταις καὶ ὅτι κατεκράτησαν αὐτῶν καὶ ἤγαγον αὐτοὺς ὑπὸ φόρον 1Mc 8:2
and that they are valiant men. They told him of their wars and exploits which they do among the Gauls, and how they conquered them, and forced them to pay tribute;
- - - 3 1Mc 8:3 3 καὶ ὅσα ἐποίησαν ἐν χώρᾳ Σπανίας τοῦ κατακρατῆσαι τῶν μετάλλων τοῦ ἀργυρίου καὶ τοῦ χρυσίου τοῦ ἐκεῖ 1Mc 8:3
and what things they did in the land of Spain, that they might take control of the silver and gold mines which were there;
- - - 4 1Mc 8:4 4 καὶ κατεκράτησαν τοῦ τόπου παντὸς τῇ βουλῇ αὐτῶν καὶ τῇ μακροθυμίᾳ καὶ ὁ τόπος ἦν ἀπέχων μακρὰν ἀπ’ αὐτῶν σφόδρα καὶ τῶν βασιλέων τῶν ἐπελθόντων ἐπ’ αὐτοὺς ἀπ’ ἄκρου τῆς γῆς ἕως συνέτριψαν αὐτοὺς καὶ ἐπάταξαν ἐν αὐτοῖς πληγὴν μεγάλην καὶ οἱ ἐπίλοιποι διδόασιν αὐτοῖς φόρον κατ’ ἐνιαυτόν 1Mc 8:4
and how by their policy and persistence they conquered all the place (and the place was exceedingly far from them), and the kings who came against them from the uttermost part of the earth, until they had defeated them, and struck them severely; and how the rest give them tribute year by year.
- - - 5 1Mc 8:5 5 καὶ τὸν Φίλιππον καὶ τὸν Περσέα Κιτιέων βασιλέα καὶ τοὺς ἐπηρμένους ἐπ’ αὐτοὺς συνέτριψαν αὐτοὺς ἐν πολέμῳ καὶ κατεκράτησαν αὐτῶν 1Mc 8:5
Philip, and Perseus, king of Chittim, and those who lifted up themselves against them, they defeated in battle, and conquered them.
- - - 6 1Mc 8:6 6 καὶ Ἀντίοχον τὸν μέγαν βασιλέα τῆς Ἀσίας τὸν πορευθέντα ἐπ’ αὐτοὺς εἰς πόλεμον ἔχοντα ἑκατὸν εἴκοσι ἐλέφαντας καὶ ἵππον καὶ ἅρματα καὶ δύναμιν πολλὴν σφόδρα καὶ συνετρίβη ὑπ’ αὐτῶν 1Mc 8:6
Antiochus also, the great king of Asia, came against them to battle, having one hundred twenty elephants, with cavalry, chariots, and an exceedingly great army, and he was defeated by them.
- - - 7 1Mc 8:7 7 καὶ ἔλαβον αὐτὸν ζῶντα καὶ ἔστησαν αὐτοῖς διδόναι αὐτόν τε καὶ τοὺς βασιλεύοντας μετ’ αὐτὸν φόρον μέγαν καὶ διδόναι ὅμηρα καὶ διαστολὴν 1Mc 8:7
They took him alive, and decreed that both he and those who reigned after him should give them a great tribute, and should give hostages, and a parcel of land from the best of their provinces:
- - - 8 1Mc 8:8 8 καὶ χώραν τὴν Ἰνδικὴν καὶ Μηδίαν καὶ Λυδίαν ἀπὸ τῶν καλλίστων χωρῶν αὐτῶν καὶ λαβόντες αὐτὰς παρ’ αὐτοῦ ἔδωκαν αὐτὰς Εὐμένει τῷ βασιλεῖ 1Mc 8:8
the countries of India, Media, and Lydia. They took them from him, and gave them to King Eumenes.
- - - 9 1Mc 8:9 9 καὶ ὅτι οἱ ἐκ τῆς Ἑλλάδος ἐβουλεύσαντο ἐλθεῖν καὶ ἐξᾶραι αὐτούς 1Mc 8:9
Judas heard how the Greeks planned to come and destroy them,
- - - 10 1Mc 8:10 10 καὶ ἐγνώσθη ὁ λόγος αὐτοῖς καὶ ἀπέστειλαν ἐπ’ αὐτοὺς στρατηγὸν ἕνα καὶ ἐπολέμησαν πρὸς αὐτούς καὶ ἔπεσον ἐξ αὐτῶν τραυματίαι πολλοί καὶ ᾐχμαλώτισαν τὰς γυναῖκας αὐτῶν καὶ τὰ τέκνα αὐτῶν καὶ ἐπρονόμευσαν αὐτοὺς καὶ κατεκράτησαν τῆς γῆς καὶ καθεῖλον τὰ ὀχυρώματα αὐτῶν καὶ κατεδουλώσαντο αὐτοὺς ἕως τῆς ἡμέρας ταύτης 1Mc 8:10
but this became known to them, and they sent against them a general who fought against them, and many of them fell down wounded to death, and they made captive their wives and their children, and plundered them, and conquered their land, and pulled down their strongholds, and plundered them, and brought them into bondage to this day.
- - - 11 1Mc 8:11 11 καὶ τὰς ἐπιλοίπους βασιλείας καὶ τὰς νήσους ὅσοι ποτὲ ἀντέστησαν αὐτοῖς κατέφθειραν καὶ ἐδούλωσαν αὐτούς μετὰ δὲ τῶν φίλων αὐτῶν καὶ τῶν ἐπαναπαυομένων αὐτοῖς συνετήρησαν φιλίαν 1Mc 8:11
The remaining kingdoms and islands, as many as rose up against them at any time, they destroyed and made them to be their servants;
- - - 12 1Mc 8:12 12 καὶ κατεκράτησαν τῶν βασιλέων τῶν ἐγγὺς καὶ τῶν μακράν καὶ ὅσοι ἤκουον τὸ ὄνομα αὐτῶν ἐφοβοῦντο ἀπ’ αὐτῶν 1Mc 8:12
but with their friends and those who relied on them they stayed friends. They conquered the kingdoms that were near and those that were far off, and all that heard of their fame were afraid of them.
- - - 13 1Mc 8:13 13 οἷς δ’ ἂν βούλωνται βοηθεῖν καὶ βασιλεύειν βασιλεύουσιν οὓς δ’ ἂν βούλωνται μεθιστῶσιν καὶ ὑψώθησαν σφόδρα 1Mc 8:13
Moreover, whoever they desired to help and to make kings, these they make kings; and whoever they desired, they depose. They are exalted exceedingly.
- - - 14 1Mc 8:14 14 καὶ ἐν πᾶσιν τούτοις οὐκ ἐπέθεντο αὐτῶν οὐδὲ εἷς διάδημα οὐδὲ περιεβάλοντο πορφύραν ὥστε ἁδρυνθῆναι ἐν αὐτῇ 1Mc 8:14
For all this, none of them ever put on a crown, neither did they clothe themselves with purple, as a display of grandeur.
- - - 15 1Mc 8:15 15 καὶ βουλευτήριον ἐποίησαν ἑαυτοῖς καὶ καθ’ ἡμέραν ἐβουλεύοντο τριακόσιοι καὶ εἴκοσι βουλευόμενοι διὰ παντὸς περὶ τοῦ πλήθους τοῦ εὐκοσμεῖν αὐτούς 1Mc 8:15
Judas heard how they had made for themselves a senate house, and day by day, three hundred twenty men sat in council, consulting always for the people, to the end they might be well governed,
- - - 16 1Mc 8:16 16 καὶ πιστεύουσιν ἑνὶ ἀνθρώπῳ ἄρχειν αὐτῶν κατ’ ἐνιαυτὸν καὶ κυριεύειν πάσης τῆς γῆς αὐτῶν καὶ πάντες ἀκούουσιν τοῦ ἑνός καὶ οὐκ ἔστιν φθόνος οὐδὲ ζῆλος ἐν αὐτοῖς 1Mc 8:16
and how they commit their government to one man year by year, that he should rule over them, and control all their country, and all are obedient to that one, and there is neither envy nor emulation among them.
- - - 17 1Mc 8:17 17 καὶ ἐπελέξατο Ιουδας τὸν Εὐπόλεμον υἱὸν Ιωαννου τοῦ Ακκως καὶ Ἰάσονα υἱὸν Ελεαζαρου καὶ ἀπέστειλεν αὐτοὺς εἰς Ῥώμην στῆσαι φιλίαν καὶ συμμαχίαν 1Mc 8:17
¶So Judas chose Eupolemus the son of John, the son of Accos, and Jason the son of Eleazar, and sent them to Rome, to establish friendship and alliance with them,
- - - 18 1Mc 8:18 18 καὶ τοῦ ἆραι τὸν ζυγὸν ἀπ’ αὐτῶν ὅτι εἶδον τὴν βασιλείαν τῶν Ἑλλήνων καταδουλουμένους τὸν Ισραηλ δουλείᾳ 1Mc 8:18
and that they should free the yoke from themselves; for they saw that the kingdom of the Greeks kept Israel in bondage.
- - - 19 1Mc 8:19 19 καὶ ἐπορεύθησαν εἰς Ῥώμην καὶ ἡ ὁδὸς πολλὴ σφόδρα καὶ εἰσήλθοσαν εἰς τὸ βουλευτήριον καὶ ἀπεκρίθησαν καὶ εἶπον 1Mc 8:19
Then they went to Rome, a very long journey, and they entered into the senate house, and said,
- - - 20 1Mc 8:20 20 Ιουδας ὁ καὶ Μακκαβαῖος καὶ οἱ ἀδελφοὶ αὐτοῦ καὶ τὸ πλῆθος τῶν Ιουδαίων ἀπέστειλαν ἡμᾶς πρὸς ὑμᾶς στῆσαι μεθ’ ὑμῶν συμμαχίαν καὶ εἰρήνην καὶ γραφῆναι ἡμᾶς συμμάχους καὶ φίλους ὑμῶν 1Mc 8:20
“Judas, who is also called Maccabaeus, and his kindred, and the people of the Jews, have sent us to you, to make an alliance and peace with you, and that we might be registered as your allies and friends.”
- - - 21 1Mc 8:21 21 καὶ ἤρεσεν ὁ λόγος ἐνώπιον αὐτῶν 1Mc 8:21
¶This thing was pleasing to them.
- - - 22 1Mc 8:22 22 καὶ τοῦτο τὸ ἀντίγραφον τῆς ἐπιστολῆς ἧς ἀντέγραψαν ἐπὶ δέλτοις χαλκαῖς καὶ ἀπέστειλαν εἰς Ιερουσαλημ εἶναι παρ’ αὐτοῖς ἐκεῖ μνημόσυνον εἰρήνης καὶ συμμαχίας 1Mc 8:22
This is the copy of the writing which they wrote back again on tables of brass, and sent to Jerusalem, that it might be with them there for a memorial of peace and alliance:
- - - 23 1Mc 8:23 23 καλῶς γένοιτο Ῥωμαίοις καὶ τῷ ἔθνει Ιουδαίων ἐν τῇ θαλάσσῃ καὶ ἐπὶ τῆς ξηρᾶς εἰς τὸν αἰῶνα καὶ ῥομφαία καὶ ἐχθρὸς μακρυνθείη ἀπ’ αὐτῶν 1Mc 8:23
¶“Good success be to the Romans, and to the nation of the Jews, by sea and by land forever. May the sword and the enemy be far from them.
- - - 24 1Mc 8:24 24 ἐὰν δὲ ἐνστῇ πόλεμος Ῥώμῃ προτέρᾳ ἢ πᾶσιν τοῖς συμμάχοις αὐτῶν ἐν πάσῃ τῇ κυριείᾳ αὐτῶν 1Mc 8:24
But if war arises for Rome first, or any of their allies in all their dominion,
- - - 25 1Mc 8:25 25 συμμαχήσει τὸ ἔθνος τῶν Ιουδαίων ὡς ἂν ὁ καιρὸς ὑπογράφῃ αὐτοῖς καρδίᾳ πλήρει 1Mc 8:25
the nation of the Jews shall help them as allies, as the occasion shall indicate to them, with all their heart.
- - - 26 1Mc 8:26 26 καὶ τοῖς πολεμοῦσιν οὐ δώσουσιν οὐδὲ ἐπαρκέσουσιν σῖτον ὅπλα ἀργύριον πλοῖα ὡς ἔδοξεν Ῥώμῃ καὶ φυλάξονται τὰ φυλάγματα αὐτῶν οὐθὲν λαβόντες 1Mc 8:26
To those who make war upon them, they shall not give supplies, food, weapons, money, or ships, as it has seemed good to Rome, and they shall keep their ordinances without taking anything in return.
- - - 27 1Mc 8:27 27 κατὰ τὰ αὐτὰ δὲ ἐὰν ἔθνει Ιουδαίων συμβῇ προτέροις πόλεμος συμμαχήσουσιν οἱ Ῥωμαῖοι ἐκ ψυχῆς ὡς ἂν αὐτοῖς ὁ καιρὸς ὑπογράφῃ 1Mc 8:27
In the same way, moreover, if war comes first upon the nation of the Jews, the Romans shall willingly help them as allies, as the occasion shall indicate to them;
- - - 28 1Mc 8:28 28 καὶ τοῖς συμμαχοῦσιν οὐ δοθήσεται σῖτος ὅπλα ἀργύριον πλοῖα ὡς ἔδοξεν Ῥώμῃ καὶ φυλάξονται τὰ φυλάγματα ταῦτα καὶ οὐ μετὰ δόλου 1Mc 8:28
and to those who are fighting with them, there shall not be given food, weapons, money, or ships, as it has seemed good to Rome. They shall keep these ordinances, and that without deceit.
- - - 29 1Mc 8:29 29 κατὰ τοὺς λόγους τούτους οὕτως ἔστησαν Ῥωμαῖοι τῷ δήμῳ τῶν Ιουδαίων 1Mc 8:29
According to these terms, the Romans made a treaty with the Jewish people.
- - - 30 1Mc 8:30 30 ἐὰν δὲ μετὰ τοὺς λόγους τούτους βουλεύσωνται οὗτοι καὶ οὗτοι προσθεῖναι ἢ ἀφελεῖν ποιήσονται ἐξ αἱρέσεως αὐτῶν καὶ ὃ ἂν προσθῶσιν ἢ ἀφέλωσιν ἔσται κύρια 1Mc 8:30
But if hereafter the one party and the other shall determine to add or diminish anything, they shall do it at their pleasure, and whatever they add or take away shall be ratified.
- - - 31 1Mc 8:31 31 καὶ περὶ τῶν κακῶν ὧν ὁ βασιλεὺς Δημήτριος συντελεῖται εἰς αὐτούς ἐγράψαμεν αὐτῷ λέγοντες διὰ τί ἐβάρυνας τὸν ζυγόν σου ἐπὶ τοὺς φίλους ἡμῶν τοὺς συμμάχους Ιουδαίους 1Mc 8:31
¶Concerning the evils which King Demetrius is doing to them, we have written to him, saying, ‘Why have you made your yoke heavy on our friends and allies the Jews?
- - - 32 1Mc 8:32 32 ἐὰν οὖν ἔτι ἐντύχωσιν κατὰ σοῦ ποιήσομεν αὐτοῖς τὴν κρίσιν καὶ πολεμήσομέν σε διὰ τῆς θαλάσσης καὶ διὰ τῆς ξηρᾶς 1Mc 8:32
If therefore they plead any more against you, we will do them justice, and fight with you on sea and on land.’”
- - -
Match Diacritics KEYMAP Wildcard