Μακκαβαίων Αʹ 1 Maccabees
CATSS LXX Wiki Latin Translation LXX / Vulgata Clementina Westminster Leningrad Codex Wiki Latin Translation HB / Vulgata Clementina 1 1Mc 9:1 1 καὶ ἤκουσεν Δημήτριος ὅτι ἔπεσεν Νικάνωρ καὶ ἡ δύναμις αὐτοῦ ἐν πολέμῳ καὶ προσέθετο τὸν Βακχίδην καὶ τὸν Ἄλκιμον ἐκ δευτέρου ἀποστεῖλαι εἰς γῆν Ιουδα καὶ τὸ δεξιὸν κέρας μετ’ αὐτῶν 1Mc 9:1
¶Demetrius heard that Nicanor had fallen with his forces in battle, and he sent Bacchides and Alcimus again into the land of Judah a second time, and the right wing of his army with them.
- - - 2 1Mc 9:2 2 καὶ ἐπορεύθησαν ὁδὸν τὴν εἰς Γαλγαλα καὶ παρενέβαλον ἐπὶ Μαισαλωθ τὴν ἐν Αρβηλοις καὶ προκατελάβοντο αὐτὴν καὶ ἀπώλεσαν ψυχὰς ἀνθρώπων πολλάς 1Mc 9:2
They went by the way that leads to Gilgal, and encamped against Mesaloth, which is in Arbela, and took possession of it, and killed many people.
- - - 3 1Mc 9:3 3 καὶ τοῦ μηνὸς τοῦ πρώτου ἔτους τοῦ δευτέρου καὶ πεντηκοστοῦ καὶ ἑκατοστοῦ παρενέβαλον ἐπὶ Ιερουσαλημ 1Mc 9:3
The first month of the one hundred fifty-second year,
they encamped against Jerusalem.
- - - 4 1Mc 9:4 4 καὶ ἀπῆραν καὶ ἐπορεύθησαν εἰς Βερεαν ἐν εἴκοσι χιλιάσιν ἀνδρῶν καὶ δισχιλίᾳ ἵππῳ 1Mc 9:4
Then they marched away and went to Berea with twenty thousand infantry and two thousand cavalry.
- - - 5 1Mc 9:5 5 καὶ Ιουδας ἦν παρεμβεβληκὼς ἐν Ελασα καὶ τρισχίλιοι ἄνδρες μετ’ αὐτοῦ ἐκλεκτοί 1Mc 9:5
Judas was encamped at Elasa with three thousand chosen men.
- - - 6 1Mc 9:6 6 καὶ εἶδον τὸ πλῆθος τῶν δυνάμεων ὅτι πολλοί εἰσιν καὶ ἐφοβήθησαν σφόδρα καὶ ἐξερρύησαν πολλοὶ ἀπὸ τῆς παρεμβολῆς οὐ κατελείφθησαν ἐξ αὐτῶν ἀλλ’ ἢ ὀκτακόσιοι ἄνδρες 1Mc 9:6
They saw the multitude of the forces, that they were many, and they were terrified. Many slipped away out of the army. There were not left of them more than eight hundred men.
- - - 7 1Mc 9:7 7 καὶ εἶδεν Ιουδας ὅτι ἀπερρύη ἡ παρεμβολὴ αὐτοῦ καὶ ὁ πόλεμος ἔθλιβεν αὐτόν καὶ συνετρίβη τῇ καρδίᾳ ὅτι οὐκ εἶχεν καιρὸν συναγαγεῖν αὐτούς 1Mc 9:7
¶Judas saw that his army slipped away and that the battle pressed upon him, and he was very troubled in spirit, because he had no time to gather them together, and he became faint.
- - - 8 1Mc 9:8 8 καὶ ἐξελύθη καὶ εἶπεν τοῖς καταλειφθεῖσιν ἀναστῶμεν καὶ ἀναβῶμεν ἐπὶ τοὺς ὑπεναντίους ἡμῶν ἐὰν ἄρα δυνώμεθα πολεμῆσαι πρὸς αὐτούς 1Mc 9:8
He said to those who were left, “Let’s arise and go up against our adversaries, if perhaps we may be able to fight with them.”
- - - 9 1Mc 9:9 9 καὶ ἀπέστρεφον αὐτὸν λέγοντες οὐ μὴ δυνώμεθα ἀλλ’ ἢ σῴζωμεν τὰς ἑαυτῶν ψυχὰς τὸ νῦν ἐπιστρέψωμεν καὶ οἱ ἀδελφοὶ ἡμῶν καὶ πολεμήσωμεν πρὸς αὐτούς ἡμεῖς δὲ ὀλίγοι 1Mc 9:9
¶They tried to dissuade him, saying, “There is no way we are able; but let’s rather save our lives now. Let’s return again with our kindred, and fight against them; but we are too few.”
- - - 10 1Mc 9:10 10 καὶ εἶπεν Ιουδας μὴ γένοιτο ποιῆσαι τὸ πρᾶγμα τοῦτο φυγεῖν ἀπ’ αὐτῶν καὶ εἰ ἤγγικεν ὁ καιρὸς ἡμῶν καὶ ἀποθάνωμεν ἐν ἀνδρείᾳ χάριν τῶν ἀδελφῶν ἡμῶν καὶ μὴ καταλίπωμεν αἰτίαν τῇ δόξῃ ἡμῶν 1Mc 9:10
¶Judas said, “Let it not be so that I should do this thing, to flee from them. If our time has come, let’s die in a manly way for our kindred’s sake, and not leave a cause of reproach against our honor.”
- - - 11 1Mc 9:11 11 καὶ ἀπῆρεν ἡ δύναμις ἀπὸ τῆς παρεμβολῆς καὶ ἔστησαν εἰς συνάντησιν αὐτοῖς καὶ ἐμερίσθη ἡ ἵππος εἰς δύο μέρη καὶ οἱ σφενδονῆται καὶ οἱ τοξόται προεπορεύοντο τῆς δυνάμεως καὶ οἱ πρωταγωνισταὶ πάντες οἱ δυνατοί Βακχίδης δὲ ἦν ἐν τῷ δεξιῷ κέρατι 1Mc 9:11
¶The army marched out from the camp, and stood to encounter them. The cavalry was divided into two companies, and the slingers and the archers went before the army, and all the mighty men that fought in the front of the battle.
- - - 12 1Mc 9:12 12 καὶ ἤγγισεν ἡ φάλαγξ ἐκ τῶν δύο μερῶν καὶ ἐφώνουν ταῖς σάλπιγξιν καὶ ἐσάλπισαν οἱ παρὰ Ιουδου καὶ αὐτοὶ ταῖς σάλπιγξιν 1Mc 9:12
Bacchides was in the right wing. The phalanx advanced on the two parts, and they blew with their trumpets.
- - - 13 1Mc 9:13 13 καὶ ἐσαλεύθη ἡ γῆ ἀπὸ τῆς φωνῆς τῶν παρεμβολῶν καὶ ἐγένετο ὁ πόλεμος συνημμένος ἀπὸ πρωίθεν ἕως ἑσπέρας 1Mc 9:13
The men by Judas’ side sounded with their trumpets, and the earth shook with the shout of the armies, and the battle was joined, and continued from morning until evening.
- - - 14 1Mc 9:14 14 καὶ εἶδεν Ιουδας ὅτι Βακχίδης καὶ τὸ στερέωμα τῆς παρεμβολῆς ἐν τοῖς δεξιοῖς καὶ συνῆλθον αὐτῷ πάντες οἱ εὔψυχοι τῇ καρδίᾳ 1Mc 9:14
¶Judas saw that Bacchides and the strength of his army were on the right side, and all that were brave in heart went with him ,
- - - 15 1Mc 9:15 15 καὶ συνετρίβη τὸ δεξιὸν μέρος ἀπ’ αὐτῶν καὶ ἐδίωκεν ὀπίσω αὐτῶν ἕως Αζωτου ὄρους 1Mc 9:15
and the right wing was defeated by them, and he pursued after them to the mount Azotus.
- - - 16 1Mc 9:16 16 καὶ οἱ εἰς τὸ ἀριστερὸν κέρας εἶδον ὅτι συνετρίβη τὸ δεξιὸν κέρας καὶ ἐπέστρεψαν κατὰ πόδας Ιουδου καὶ τῶν μετ’ αὐτοῦ ἐκ τῶν ὄπισθεν 1Mc 9:16
Those who were on the left wing saw that the right wing was defeated, and they turned and followed in the footsteps of Judas and of those who were with him.
- - - 17 1Mc 9:17 17 καὶ ἐβαρύνθη ὁ πόλεμος καὶ ἔπεσον τραυματίαι πολλοὶ ἐκ τούτων καὶ ἐκ τούτων 1Mc 9:17
The battle became desparate, and many on both sides fell wounded to death.
- - - 18 1Mc 9:18 18 καὶ Ιουδας ἔπεσεν καὶ οἱ λοιποὶ ἔφυγον 1Mc 9:18
Judas fell, and the rest fled.
- - - 19 1Mc 9:19 19 καὶ ἦρεν Ιωναθαν καὶ Σιμων Ιουδαν τὸν ἀδελφὸν αὐτῶν καὶ ἔθαψαν αὐτὸν ἐν τῷ τάφῳ τῶν πατέρων αὐτοῦ ἐν Μωδεϊν 1Mc 9:19
¶Jonathan and Simon took Judas their brother, and buried him in the tomb of his ancestors at Modin.
- - - 20 1Mc 9:20 20 καὶ ἔκλαυσαν αὐτὸν καὶ ἐκόψαντο αὐτὸν πᾶς Ισραηλ κοπετὸν μέγαν καὶ ἐπένθουν ἡμέρας πολλὰς καὶ εἶπον 1Mc 9:20
They wept for him. All Israel made great lamentation for him, and mourned many days, and said,
- - - 21 1Mc 9:21 21 πῶς ἔπεσεν δυνατὸς σῴζων τὸν Ισραηλ 1Mc 9:21
“How is the mighty fallen, the savior of Israel!”
- - - 22 1Mc 9:22 22 καὶ τὰ περισσὰ τῶν λόγων Ιουδου καὶ τῶν πολέμων καὶ τῶν ἀνδραγαθιῶν ὧν ἐποίησεν καὶ τῆς μεγαλωσύνης αὐτοῦ οὐ κατεγράφη πολλὰ γὰρ ἦν σφόδρα 1Mc 9:22
The rest of the acts of Judas, and his wars, and the valiant deeds which he did, and his greatness, are not written; for they were exceedingly many.
- - - 23 1Mc 9:23 23 καὶ ἐγένετο μετὰ τὴν τελευτὴν Ιουδου ἐξέκυψαν οἱ ἄνομοι ἐν πᾶσιν τοῖς ὁρίοις Ισραηλ καὶ ἀνέτειλαν πάντες οἱ ἐργαζόμενοι τὴν ἀδικίαν 1Mc 9:23
¶It came to pass after the death of Judas, that the lawless emerged within all the borders of Israel. All those who did iniquity rose up.
- - - 24 1Mc 9:24 24 ἐν ταῖς ἡμέραις ἐκείναις ἐγενήθη λιμὸς μέγας σφόδρα καὶ αὐτομόλησεν ἡ χώρα μετ’ αὐτῶν 1Mc 9:24
In those days there was an exceedingly great famine, and the country went over to their side.
- - - 25 1Mc 9:25 25 καὶ ἐξέλεξεν Βακχίδης τοὺς ἀσεβεῖς ἄνδρας καὶ κατέστησεν αὐτοὺς κυρίους τῆς χώρας 1Mc 9:25
Bacchides chose the ungodly men and made them rulers of the country.
- - - 26 1Mc 9:26 26 καὶ ἐξεζήτουν καὶ ἠρεύνων τοὺς φίλους Ιουδου καὶ ἦγον αὐτοὺς πρὸς Βακχίδην καὶ ἐξεδίκα αὐτοὺς καὶ ἐνέπαιζεν αὐτοῖς 1Mc 9:26
They inquired and searched for the friends of Judas, and brought them to Bacchides, and he took vengeance on them and used them despitefully.
- - - 27 1Mc 9:27 27 καὶ ἐγένετο θλῖψις μεγάλη ἐν τῷ Ισραηλ ἥτις οὐκ ἐγένετο ἀφ’ ἧς ἡμέρας οὐκ ὤφθη προφήτης αὐτοῖς 1Mc 9:27
There was great suffering in Israel, such as was not since the time prophets stopped appearing to them.
- - - 28 1Mc 9:28 28 καὶ ἠθροίσθησαν πάντες οἱ φίλοι Ιουδου καὶ εἶπον τῷ Ιωναθαν 1Mc 9:28
¶All the friends of Judas were gathered together, and they said to Jonathan,
- - - 29 1Mc 9:29 29 ἀφ’ οὗ ὁ ἀδελφός σου Ιουδας τετελεύτηκεν καὶ ἀνὴρ ὅμοιος αὐτῷ οὐκ ἔστιν ἐξελθεῖν καὶ εἰσελθεῖν πρὸς τοὺς ἐχθροὺς καὶ Βακχίδην καὶ ἐν τοῖς ἐχθραίνουσιν τοῦ ἔθνους ἡμῶν 1Mc 9:29
“Since your brother Judas has died, we have no man like him to go out against our enemies and Bacchides, and among those of our nation who hate us.
- - - 30 1Mc 9:30 30 νῦν οὖν σὲ ᾑρετισάμεθα σήμερον τοῦ εἶναι ἀντ’ αὐτοῦ ἡμῖν εἰς ἄρχοντα καὶ ἡγούμενον τοῦ πολεμῆσαι τὸν πόλεμον ἡμῶν 1Mc 9:30
Now therefore we have chosen you this day to be our prince and leader in his place, that you may fight our battles.”
- - - 31 1Mc 9:31 31 καὶ ἐπεδέξατο Ιωναθαν ἐν τῷ καιρῷ ἐκείνῳ τὴν ἥγησιν καὶ ἀνέστη ἀντὶ Ιουδου τοῦ ἀδελφοῦ αὐτοῦ 1Mc 9:31
So Jonathan took the governance upon him at that time, and rose up in the place of his brother Judas.
- - - 32 1Mc 9:32 32 καὶ ἔγνω Βακχίδης καὶ ἐζήτει αὐτὸν ἀποκτεῖναι 1Mc 9:32
¶When Bacchides found out, he tried to kill him.
- - - 33 1Mc 9:33 33 καὶ ἔγνω Ιωναθαν καὶ Σιμων ὁ ἀδελφὸς αὐτοῦ καὶ πάντες οἱ μετ’ αὐτοῦ καὶ ἔφυγον εἰς τὴν ἔρημον Θεκωε καὶ παρενέβαλον ἐπὶ τὸ ὕδωρ λάκκου Ασφαρ 1Mc 9:33
Jonathan, and Simon his brother, and all who were with him, knew it; and they fled into the wilderness of Tekoah, and encamped by the water of the pool of Asphar.
- - - 34 1Mc 9:34 34 καὶ ἔγνω Βακχίδης τῇ ἡμέρᾳ τῶν σαββάτων καὶ ἦλθεν αὐτὸς καὶ πᾶν τὸ στράτευμα αὐτοῦ πέραν τοῦ Ιορδάνου 1Mc 9:34
Bacchides found this out on the Sabbath day, and came—he and all his army—over the Jordan.
- - - 35 1Mc 9:35 35 καὶ ἀπέστειλεν τὸν ἀδελφὸν αὐτοῦ ἡγούμενον τοῦ ὄχλου καὶ παρεκάλεσεν τοὺς Ναβαταίους φίλους αὐτοῦ τοῦ παραθέσθαι αὐτοῖς τὴν ἀποσκευὴν αὐτῶν τὴν πολλήν 1Mc 9:35
¶Jonathan sent his brother, a leader of the multitude, and implored his friends the Nabathaeans, that they might store their baggage, which was much, with them.
- - - 36 1Mc 9:36 36 καὶ ἐξῆλθον οἱ υἱοὶ Ιαμβρι οἱ ἐκ Μηδαβα καὶ συνέλαβον Ιωαννην καὶ πάντα ὅσα εἶχεν καὶ ἀπῆλθον ἔχοντες 1Mc 9:36
The children of Jambri came out of Medaba, and seized John and all that he had, and went their way with it.
- - - 37 1Mc 9:37 37 μετὰ τοὺς λόγους τούτους ἀπήγγειλαν Ιωναθαν καὶ Σιμωνι τῷ ἀδελφῷ αὐτοῦ ὅτι υἱοὶ Ιαμβρι ποιοῦσιν γάμον μέγαν καὶ ἄγουσιν τὴν νύμφην ἀπὸ Ναδαβαθ θυγατέρα ἑνὸς τῶν μεγάλων μεγιστάνων Χανααν μετὰ παραπομπῆς μεγάλης 1Mc 9:37
¶But after these things, they brought word to Jonathan and Simon his brother that the children of Jambri were celebrating a great wedding, and were bringing the bride, a daughter of one of the great nobles of Canaan, from Nadabath with a large escort.
- - - 38 1Mc 9:38 38 καὶ ἐμνήσθησαν τοῦ αἵματος Ιωαννου τοῦ ἀδελφοῦ αὐτῶν καὶ ἀνέβησαν καὶ ἐκρύβησαν ὑπὸ τὴν σκέπην τοῦ ὄρους 1Mc 9:38
They remembered John their brother, and went up, and hid themselves under the cover of the mountain.
- - - 39 1Mc 9:39 39 καὶ ἦραν τοὺς ὀφθαλμοὺς αὐτῶν καὶ εἶδον καὶ ἰδοὺ θροῦς καὶ ἀποσκευὴ πολλή καὶ ὁ νυμφίος ἐξῆλθεν καὶ οἱ φίλοι αὐτοῦ καὶ οἱ ἀδελφοὶ αὐτοῦ εἰς συνάντησιν αὐτῶν μετὰ τυμπάνων καὶ μουσικῶν καὶ ὅπλων πολλῶν 1Mc 9:39
They lifted up their eyes and looked, and saw a great procession with much baggage. The bridegroom came out with his friends and his kindred to meet them with timbrels, musicians, and many weapons.
- - - 40 1Mc 9:40 40 καὶ ἐξανέστησαν ἐπ’ αὐτοὺς ἀπὸ τοῦ ἐνέδρου καὶ ἀπέκτειναν αὐτούς καὶ ἔπεσον τραυματίαι πολλοί καὶ οἱ ἐπίλοιποι ἔφυγον εἰς τὸ ὄρος καὶ ἔλαβον πάντα τὰ σκῦλα αὐτῶν 1Mc 9:40
They rose up against them from their ambush and killed them, and many fell wounded to death. The remnant fled into the mountain, and the Jews took all their spoils.
- - - 41 1Mc 9:41 41 καὶ μετεστράφη ὁ γάμος εἰς πένθος καὶ φωνὴ μουσικῶν αὐτῶν εἰς θρῆνον 1Mc 9:41
So the wedding was turned into mourning, and the voice of their musicians into lamentation.
- - - 42 1Mc 9:42 42 καὶ ἐξεδίκησαν τὴν ἐκδίκησιν αἵματος ἀδελφοῦ αὐτῶν καὶ ἀπέστρεψαν εἰς τὸ ἕλος τοῦ Ιορδάνου 1Mc 9:42
They avenged fully the blood of their brother, and turned back to the marshes of the Jordan.
- - - 43 1Mc 9:43 43 καὶ ἤκουσεν Βακχίδης καὶ ἦλθεν τῇ ἡμέρᾳ τῶν σαββάτων ἕως τῶν κρηπίδων τοῦ Ιορδάνου ἐν δυνάμει πολλῇ 1Mc 9:43
¶Bacchides heard it, and he came on the Sabbath day to the banks of Jordan with a great army.
- - - 44 1Mc 9:44 44 καὶ εἶπεν Ιωναθαν τοῖς παρ’ αὐτοῦ ἀναστῶμεν δὴ καὶ πολεμήσωμεν περὶ τῶν ψυχῶν ἡμῶν οὐ γάρ ἐστιν σήμερον ὡς ἐχθὲς καὶ τρίτην ἡμέραν 1Mc 9:44
Jonathan said to his company, “Let’s stand up now and fight for our lives, for things are different today than they were yesterday and the day before.
- - - 45 1Mc 9:45 45 ἰδοὺ γὰρ ὁ πόλεμος ἐξ ἐναντίας καὶ ἐξόπισθεν ἡμῶν τὸ δὲ ὕδωρ τοῦ Ιορδάνου ἔνθεν καὶ ἔνθεν καὶ ἕλος καὶ δρυμός οὐκ ἔστιν τόπος τοῦ ἐκκλῖναι 1Mc 9:45
For, behold, the battle is before us and behind us. Moreover the water of the Jordan is on this side and on that side, and marsh and thicket. There is no place to escape.
- - - 46 1Mc 9:46 46 νῦν οὖν κεκράξατε εἰς τὸν οὐρανόν ὅπως διασωθῆτε ἐκ χειρὸς τῶν ἐχθρῶν ἡμῶν 1Mc 9:46
Now therefore cry to heaven, that you may be delivered out of the hand of your enemies.”
- - - 47 1Mc 9:47 47 καὶ συνῆψεν ὁ πόλεμος καὶ ἐξέτεινεν Ιωναθαν τὴν χεῖρα αὐτοῦ πατάξαι τὸν Βακχίδην καὶ ἐξέκλινεν ἀπ’ αὐτοῦ εἰς τὰ ὀπίσω 1Mc 9:47
So the battle was joined, and Jonathan stretched out his hand to strike Bacchides, and he turned away back from him.
- - - 48 1Mc 9:48 48 καὶ ἐνεπήδησεν Ιωναθαν καὶ οἱ μετ’ αὐτοῦ εἰς τὸν Ιορδάνην καὶ διεκολύμβησαν εἰς τὸ πέραν καὶ οὐ διέβησαν ἐπ’ αὐτοὺς τὸν Ιορδάνην 1Mc 9:48
Jonathan and those who were with him leapt into the Jordan, and swam over to the other side. The enemy didn’t pass over the Jordan against them.
- - - 49 1Mc 9:49 49 ἔπεσον δὲ παρὰ Βακχίδου τῇ ἡμέρᾳ ἐκείνῃ εἰς χιλίους ἄνδρας 1Mc 9:49
About a thousand men of Bacchides’ company fell that day;
- - - 50 1Mc 9:50 50 καὶ ἐπέστρεψεν εἰς Ιερουσαλημ καὶ ᾠκοδόμησαν πόλεις ὀχυρὰς ἐν τῇ Ιουδαίᾳ τὸ ὀχύρωμα τὸ ἐν Ιεριχω καὶ τὴν Αμμαους καὶ τὴν Βαιθωρων καὶ τὴν Βαιθηλ καὶ τὴν Θαμναθα Φαραθων καὶ τὴν Τεφων ἐν τείχεσιν ὑψηλοῖς καὶ πύλαις καὶ μοχλοῖς 1Mc 9:50
and he returned to Jerusalem. They built strong cities in Judea, the stronghold that was in Jericho, and Emmaus, Bethhoron, Bethel, Timnath, Pharathon, and Tephon, with high walls and gates and bars.
- - - 51 1Mc 9:51 51 καὶ ἔθετο φρουρὰν ἐν αὐτοῖς τοῦ ἐχθραίνειν τῷ Ισραηλ 1Mc 9:51
He set garrisons in them to harass Israel.
- - - 52 1Mc 9:52 52 καὶ ὠχύρωσεν τὴν πόλιν τὴν Βαιθσουραν καὶ Γαζαρα καὶ τὴν ἄκραν καὶ ἔθετο ἐν αὐταῖς δυνάμεις καὶ παραθέσεις βρωμάτων 1Mc 9:52
He fortified the city Bethsura, Gazara, and the citadel, and put troops and stores of food in them.
- - - 53 1Mc 9:53 53 καὶ ἔλαβεν τοὺς υἱοὺς τῶν ἡγουμένων τῆς χώρας ὅμηρα καὶ ἔθετο αὐτοὺς ἐν τῇ ἄκρᾳ ἐν Ιερουσαλημ ἐν φυλακῇ 1Mc 9:53
He took the sons of the chief men of the country for hostages, and put them under guard in the citadel at Jerusalem.
- - - 54 1Mc 9:54 54 καὶ ἐν ἔτει τρίτῳ καὶ πεντηκοστῷ καὶ ἑκατοστῷ τῷ μηνὶ τῷ δευτέρῳ ἐπέταξεν Ἄλκιμος καθαιρεῖν τὸ τεῖχος τῆς αὐλῆς τῶν ἁγίων τῆς ἐσωτέρας καὶ καθεῖλεν τὰ ἔργα τῶν προφητῶν καὶ ἐνήρξατο τοῦ καθαιρεῖν 1Mc 9:54
¶And in the one hundred fifty-third year,
in the second month, Alcimus gave orders to pull down the wall of the inner court of the sanctuary. He also pulled down the works of the prophets.
- - - 55 1Mc 9:55 55 ἐν τῷ καιρῷ ἐκείνῳ ἐπλήγη Ἄλκιμος καὶ ἐνεποδίσθη τὰ ἔργα αὐτοῦ καὶ ἀπεφράγη τὸ στόμα αὐτοῦ καὶ παρελύθη καὶ οὐκ ἠδύνατο ἔτι λαλῆσαι λόγον καὶ ἐντείλασθαι περὶ τοῦ οἴκου αὐτοῦ 1Mc 9:55
He began to pull down. At that time was Alcimus stricken, and his works were hindered; and his mouth was stopped, and he was taken with a palsy, and he could no more speak anything and give orders concerning his house.
- - - 56 1Mc 9:56 56 καὶ ἀπέθανεν Ἄλκιμος ἐν τῷ καιρῷ ἐκείνῳ μετὰ βασάνου μεγάλης 1Mc 9:56
Alcimus died at that time with great torment.
- - - 57 1Mc 9:57 57 καὶ εἶδεν Βακχίδης ὅτι ἀπέθανεν Ἄλκιμος καὶ ἐπέστρεψεν πρὸς τὸν βασιλέα καὶ ἡσύχασεν ἡ γῆ Ιουδα ἔτη δύο 1Mc 9:57
Bacchides saw that Alcimus was dead, and he returned to the king. Then the land of Judah had rest for two years.
- - - 58 1Mc 9:58 58 καὶ ἐβουλεύσαντο πάντες οἱ ἄνομοι λέγοντες ἰδοὺ Ιωναθαν καὶ οἱ παρ’ αὐτοῦ ἐν ἡσυχίᾳ κατοικοῦσιν πεποιθότες νῦν οὖν ἀνάξομεν τὸν Βακχίδην καὶ συλλήμψεται αὐτοὺς πάντας ἐν νυκτὶ μιᾷ 1Mc 9:58
¶Then all the lawless men took counsel, saying, “Behold, Jonathan and his men are dwelling at ease and in security. Now therefore we will bring Bacchides, and he will capture them all in one night.
- - - 59 1Mc 9:59 59 καὶ πορευθέντες συνεβουλεύσαντο αὐτῷ 1Mc 9:59
They went and consulted with him.
- - - 60 1Mc 9:60 60 καὶ ἀπῆρεν τοῦ ἐλθεῖν μετὰ δυνάμεως πολλῆς καὶ ἀπέστειλεν λάθρᾳ ἐπιστολὰς πᾶσιν τοῖς συμμάχοις αὐτοῦ τοῖς ἐν τῇ Ιουδαίᾳ ὅπως συλλάβωσιν τὸν Ιωναθαν καὶ τοὺς μετ’ αὐτοῦ καὶ οὐκ ἠδύναντο ὅτι ἐγνώσθη ἡ βουλὴ αὐτῶν 1Mc 9:60
He marched out and came with a great army, and sent letters secretly to all his allies who were in Judea, that they should seize Jonathan and those who were with him; but they couldn’t, because their plan was known to them.
- - - 61 1Mc 9:61 61 καὶ συνέλαβον ἀπὸ τῶν ἀνδρῶν τῆς χώρας τῶν ἀρχηγῶν τῆς κακίας εἰς πεντήκοντα ἄνδρας καὶ ἀπέκτειναν αὐτούς 1Mc 9:61
Jonathan’s men seized about fifty of the men of the country who were authors of the wickedness, and he killed them.
- - - 62 1Mc 9:62 62 καὶ ἐξεχώρησεν Ιωναθαν καὶ Σιμων καὶ οἱ μετ’ αὐτοῦ εἰς Βαιθβασι τὴν ἐν τῇ ἐρήμῳ καὶ ᾠκοδόμησεν τὰ καθῃρημένα αὐτῆς καὶ ἐστερέωσαν αὐτήν 1Mc 9:62
Jonathan, Simon, and those who were with him, went away to Bethbasi, which is in the wilderness, and he built up that which had been pulled down, and they made it strong.
- - - 63 1Mc 9:63 63 καὶ ἔγνω Βακχίδης καὶ συνήγαγεν πᾶν τὸ πλῆθος αὐτοῦ καὶ τοῖς ἐκ τῆς Ιουδαίας παρήγγειλεν 1Mc 9:63
Bacchides found out about it, and he gathered together all his multitude, and sent orders to those who were of Judea.
- - - 64 1Mc 9:64 64 καὶ ἐλθὼν παρενέβαλεν ἐπὶ Βαιθβασι καὶ ἐπολέμησεν αὐτὴν ἡμέρας πολλὰς καὶ ἐποίησεν μηχανάς 1Mc 9:64
He went and encamped against Bethbasi and fought against it many days, and made engines of war.
- - - 65 1Mc 9:65 65 καὶ ἀπέλιπεν Ιωναθαν Σιμωνα τὸν ἀδελφὸν αὐτοῦ ἐν τῇ πόλει καὶ ἐξῆλθεν εἰς τὴν χώραν καὶ ἦλθεν ἐν ἀριθμῷ 1Mc 9:65
¶Jonathan left his brother Simon in the city, and went out into the country, and he went with a few men.
- - - 66 1Mc 9:66 66 καὶ ἐπάταξεν Οδομηρα καὶ τοὺς ἀδελφοὺς αὐτοῦ καὶ τοὺς υἱοὺς Φασιρων ἐν τῷ σκηνώματι αὐτῶν καὶ ἤρξαντο τύπτειν καὶ ἀνέβαινον ἐν ταῖς δυνάμεσιν 1Mc 9:66
He struck Odomera and his kindred, and the children of Phasiron in their tents.
- - - 67 1Mc 9:67 67 καὶ Σιμων καὶ οἱ μετ’ αὐτοῦ ἐξῆλθον ἐκ τῆς πόλεως καὶ ἐνεπύρισαν τὰς μηχανάς 1Mc 9:67
They began to strike them, and to go up with their forces. Then Simon and those who were with him went out of the city, and set the engines of war on fire,
- - - 68 1Mc 9:68 68 καὶ ἐπολέμησαν πρὸς τὸν Βακχίδην καὶ συνετρίβη ὑπ’ αὐτῶν καὶ ἔθλιβον αὐτὸν σφόδρα ὅτι ἦν ἡ βουλὴ αὐτοῦ καὶ ἡ ἔφοδος αὐτοῦ κενή 1Mc 9:68
and fought against Bacchides, and he was defeated by them. They afflicted him severely; for his counsel and expedition was in vain.
- - - 69 1Mc 9:69 69 καὶ ὠργίσθη ἐν θυμῷ τοῖς ἀνδράσιν τοῖς ἀνόμοις τοῖς συμβουλεύσασιν αὐτῷ ἐλθεῖν εἰς τὴν χώραν καὶ ἀπέκτεινεν ἐξ αὐτῶν πολλοὺς καὶ ἐβουλεύσατο τοῦ ἀπελθεῖν εἰς τὴν γῆν αὐτοῦ 1Mc 9:69
They were very angry with the lawless men who gave him counsel to come into the country, and they killed many of them. Then he decided to depart into his own land.
- - - 70 1Mc 9:70 70 καὶ ἐπέγνω Ιωναθαν καὶ ἀπέστειλεν πρὸς αὐτὸν πρέσβεις τοῦ συνθέσθαι πρὸς αὐτὸν εἰρήνην καὶ ἀποδοῦναι αὐτοῖς τὴν αἰχμαλωσίαν 1Mc 9:70
¶Jonathan learned of this and sent ambassadors to him, to the end that they should make peace with him, and that he should restore to them the captives.
- - - 71 1Mc 9:71 71 καὶ ἐπεδέξατο καὶ ἐποίησεν κατὰ τοὺς λόγους αὐτοῦ καὶ ὤμοσεν αὐτῷ μὴ ἐκζητῆσαι αὐτῷ κακὸν πάσας τὰς ἡμέρας τῆς ζωῆς αὐτοῦ 1Mc 9:71
He accepted the thing, and did according to his words, and swore to him that he would not seek his harm all the days of his life.
- - - 72 1Mc 9:72 72 καὶ ἀπέδωκεν αὐτῷ τὴν αἰχμαλωσίαν ἣν ᾐχμαλώτευσεν τὸ πρότερον ἐκ γῆς Ιουδα καὶ ἀποστρέψας ἀπῆλθεν εἰς τὴν γῆν αὐτοῦ καὶ οὐ προσέθετο ἔτι ἐλθεῖν εἰς τὰ ὅρια αὐτῶν 1Mc 9:72
He restored to him the captives which he had taken before out of the land of Judah, and he returned and departed into his own land, and didn’t come any more into their borders.
- - - 73 1Mc 9:73 73 καὶ κατέπαυσεν ῥομφαία ἐξ Ισραηλ καὶ ᾤκησεν Ιωναθαν ἐν Μαχμας καὶ ἤρξατο Ιωναθαν κρίνειν τὸν λαὸν καὶ ἠφάνισεν τοὺς ἀσεβεῖς ἐξ Ισραηλ 1Mc 9:73
Thus the sword ceased from Israel. Jonathan lived at Michmash. Jonathan began to judge the people; and he destroyed the ungodly out of Israel.
- - -
Match Diacritics KEYMAP Wildcard