Μακκαβαίων Βʹ 2 Maccabees
CATSS LXX Wiki Latin Translation LXX / Vulgata Clementina Westminster Leningrad Codex Wiki Latin Translation HB / Vulgata Clementina 1 2Mc 1:1 1 τοῖς ἀδελφοῖς τοῖς κατ’ Αἴγυπτον Ιουδαίοις χαίρειν οἱ ἀδελφοὶ οἱ ἐν Ιεροσολύμοις Ιουδαῖοι καὶ οἱ ἐν τῇ χώρᾳ τῆς Ιουδαίας εἰρήνην ἀγαθήν 2Mc 1:1
¶The kindred, the Jews who are in Jerusalem and those who are in the country of Judea, send greetings and good peace to the kindred, the Jews who are throughout Egypt.
- - - 2 2Mc 1:2 2 καὶ ἀγαθοποιήσαι ὑμῖν ὁ θεὸς καὶ μνησθείη τῆς διαθήκης αὐτοῦ τῆς πρὸς Αβρααμ καὶ Ισαακ καὶ Ιακωβ τῶν δούλων αὐτοῦ τῶν πιστῶν 2Mc 1:2
May God do good to you, and remember his covenant with Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob, his faithful servants,
- - - 3 2Mc 1:3 3 καὶ δῴη ὑμῖν καρδίαν πᾶσιν εἰς τὸ σέβεσθαι αὐτὸν καὶ ποιεῖν αὐτοῦ τὰ θελήματα καρδίᾳ μεγάλῃ καὶ ψυχῇ βουλομένῃ 2Mc 1:3
and give you all a heart to worship him and do his will with a strong heart and a willing soul.
- - - 4 2Mc 1:4 4 καὶ διανοίξαι τὴν καρδίαν ὑμῶν ἐν τῷ νόμῳ αὐτοῦ καὶ ἐν τοῖς προστάγμασιν καὶ εἰρήνην ποιήσαι 2Mc 1:4
May God open your heart to his law and his statutes, and make peace,
- - - 5 2Mc 1:5 5 καὶ ἐπακούσαι ὑμῶν τῶν δεήσεων καὶ καταλλαγείη ὑμῖν καὶ μὴ ὑμᾶς ἐγκαταλίποι ἐν καιρῷ πονηρῷ 2Mc 1:5
and listen to your requests, and be reconciled with you, and not forsake you in an evil time.
- - - 6 2Mc 1:6 6 καὶ νῦν ὧδέ ἐσμεν προσευχόμενοι περὶ ὑμῶν 2Mc 1:6
Now we are praying for you here.
- - - 7 2Mc 1:7 7 βασιλεύοντος Δημητρίου ἔτους ἑκατοστοῦ ἑξηκοστοῦ ἐνάτου ἡμεῖς οἱ Ιουδαῖοι γεγράφαμεν ὑμῖν ἐν τῇ θλίψει καὶ ἐν τῇ ἀκμῇ τῇ ἐπελθούσῃ ἡμῖν ἐν τοῖς ἔτεσιν τούτοις ἀφ’ οὗ ἀπέστη Ἰάσων καὶ οἱ μετ’ αὐτοῦ ἀπὸ τῆς ἁγίας γῆς καὶ τῆς βασιλείας 2Mc 1:7
¶In the reign of Demetrius, in the one hundred sixty-ninth year, we the Jews have already written to you in the suffering and in the distress that has come upon us in these years, from the time that Jason and his company revolted from the holy land and the kingdom,
- - - 8 2Mc 1:8 8 καὶ ἐνεπύρισαν τὸν πυλῶνα καὶ ἐξέχεαν αἷμα ἀθῶον καὶ ἐδεήθημεν τοῦ κυρίου καὶ εἰσηκούσθημεν καὶ προσηνέγκαμεν θυσίαν καὶ σεμίδαλιν καὶ ἐξήψαμεν τοὺς λύχνους καὶ προεθήκαμεν τοὺς ἄρτους 2Mc 1:8
and set the gate on fire, and shed innocent blood. We prayed to the Lord, and were heard. We offered sacrifices and meal offerings. We lit the lamps. We set out the show bread.
* - - - 9 2Mc 1:9 9 καὶ νῦν ἵνα ἄγητε τὰς ἡμέρας τῆς σκηνοπηγίας τοῦ Χασελευ μηνός ἔτους ἑκατοστοῦ ὀγδοηκοστοῦ καὶ ὀγδόου 2Mc 1:9
Now see that you keep the days of the feast of tabernacles in the month Chislev in the one hundred eighty-eighth year.
- - - 10 2Mc 1:10 10 οἱ ἐν Ιεροσολύμοις καὶ οἱ ἐν τῇ Ιουδαίᾳ καὶ ἡ γερουσία καὶ Ιουδας Ἀριστοβούλῳ διδασκάλῳ Πτολεμαίου τοῦ βασιλέως ὄντι δὲ ἀπὸ τοῦ τῶν χριστῶν ἱερέων γένους καὶ τοῖς ἐν Αἰγύπτῳ Ιουδαίοις χαίρειν καὶ ὑγιαίνειν 2Mc 1:10
¶The people of Jerusalem and those who are in Judea, with the senate and Judas, to Aristobulus, King Ptolemy’s teacher, who is also of the stock of the anointed priests, and to the Jews who are in Egypt, we send greetings and health.
- - - 11 2Mc 1:11 11 ἐκ μεγάλων κινδύνων ὑπὸ τοῦ θεοῦ σεσῳσμένοι μεγάλως εὐχαριστοῦμεν αὐτῷ ὡς ἂν πρὸς βασιλέα παρατασσόμενοι 2Mc 1:11
¶Having been saved by God out of great perils, as men arrayed against a king, we thank him greatly.
- - - 12 2Mc 1:12 12 αὐτὸς γὰρ ἐξέβρασεν τοὺς παραταξαμένους ἐν τῇ ἁγίᾳ πόλει 2Mc 1:12
For he threw out into Persia those who fought against us in the holy city.
- - - 13 2Mc 1:13 13 εἰς τὴν Περσίδα γενόμενος γὰρ ὁ ἡγεμὼν καὶ ἡ περὶ αὐτὸν ἀνυπόστατος δοκοῦσα εἶναι δύναμις κατεκόπησαν ἐν τῷ τῆς Ναναίας ἱερῷ παραλογισμῷ χρησαμένων τῶν περὶ τὴν Ναναίαν ἱερέων 2Mc 1:13
For when the prince had come there, with an army that seemed irresistible, they were cut to pieces in the temple of Nanaea by the treachery of Nanaea’s priests.
- - - 14 2Mc 1:14 14 ὡς γὰρ συνοικήσων αὐτῇ παρεγένετο εἰς τὸν τόπον ὅ τε Ἀντίοχος καὶ οἱ σὺν αὐτῷ φίλοι χάριν τοῦ λαβεῖν τὰ χρήματα πλείονα εἰς φερνῆς λόγον 2Mc 1:14
For Antiochus, on the pretense that he would marry her, came into the place, he and his friends who were with him, that they might take a large part of the treasures as a dowry.
- - - 15 2Mc 1:15 15 καὶ προθέντων αὐτὰ τῶν ἱερέων τοῦ Ναναίου κἀκείνου προσελθόντος μετ’ ὀλίγων εἰς τὸν περίβολον τοῦ τεμένους συγκλείσαντες τὸ ἱερόν ὡς εἰσῆλθεν Ἀντίοχος 2Mc 1:15
And when the priests of Nanaea’s temple had set the treasures out, and he had come there with a small company within the wall of the sacred precinct, they locked the temple when Antiochus had come in.
- - - 16 2Mc 1:16 16 ἀνοίξαντες τὴν τοῦ φατνώματος κρυπτὴν θύραν βάλλοντες πέτρους συνεκεραύνωσαν τὸν ἡγεμόνα καὶ μέλη ποιήσαντες καὶ τὰς κεφαλὰς ἀφελόντες τοῖς ἔξω παρέρριψαν 2Mc 1:16
Opening the secret door of the panelled ceiling, they threw stones and struck down the prince. They cut him and his company in pieces, and cut off their heads, and threw them to the people who were outside.
- - - 17 2Mc 1:17 17 κατὰ πάντα εὐλογητὸς ἡμῶν ὁ θεός ὃς παρέδωκεν τοὺς ἀσεβήσαντας 2Mc 1:17
Blessed be our God in all things, who handed over those who had committed impiety.
- - - 18 2Mc 1:18 18 μέλλοντες ἄγειν ἐν τῷ Χασελευ πέμπτῃ καὶ εἰκάδι τὸν καθαρισμὸν τοῦ ἱεροῦ δέον ἡγησάμεθα διασαφῆσαι ὑμῖν ἵνα καὶ αὐτοὶ ἄγητε σκηνοπηγίας καὶ τοῦ πυρός ὅτε Νεεμιας ὁ οἰκοδομήσας τό τε ἱερὸν καὶ τὸ θυσιαστήριον ἀνήνεγκεν θυσίας 2Mc 1:18
¶Since we are now about to celebrate the purification of the temple in the month Chislev, on the twenty-fifth day, we thought it necessary to notify you, so that you may also keep a feast of tabernacles, and remember the fire which was given when Nehemiah offered sacrifices, after he had built both the temple and the altar.
- - - 19 2Mc 1:19 19 καὶ γὰρ ὅτε εἰς τὴν Περσικὴν ἤγοντο ἡμῶν οἱ πατέρες οἱ τότε εὐσεβεῖς ἱερεῖς λαβόντες ἀπὸ τοῦ πυρὸς τοῦ θυσιαστηρίου λαθραίως κατέκρυψαν ἐν κοιλώματι φρέατος τάξιν ἔχοντος ἄνυδρον ἐν ᾧ κατησφαλίσαντο ὥστε πᾶσιν ἄγνωστον εἶναι τὸν τόπον 2Mc 1:19
¶For indeed when our fathers were about to be led into the land of Persia, the godly priests of that time took some of the fire of the altar, and hid it secretly in the hollow of a well that was without water, where they made sure that the place was unknown to anyone.
- - - 20 2Mc 1:20 20 διελθόντων δὲ ἐτῶν ἱκανῶν ὅτε ἔδοξεν τῷ θεῷ ἀποσταλεὶς Νεεμιας ὑπὸ τοῦ βασιλέως τῆς Περσίδος τοὺς ἐκγόνους τῶν ἱερέων τῶν ἀποκρυψάντων ἔπεμψεν ἐπὶ τὸ πῦρ ὡς δὲ διεσάφησαν ἡμῖν μὴ εὑρηκέναι πῦρ ἀλλὰ ὕδωρ παχύ ἐκέλευσεν αὐτοὺς ἀποβάψαντας φέρειν 2Mc 1:20
Now after many years, when it pleased God, Nehemiah, having received a charge from the king of Persia, sent in quest of the fire the descendants of the priests who hid it. When they declared to us that they had found no fire, but thick liquid,
- - - 21 2Mc 1:21 21 ὡς δὲ ἀνηνέχθη τὰ τῶν θυσιῶν ἐκέλευσεν τοὺς ἱερεῖς Νεεμιας ἐπιρρᾶναι τῷ ὕδατι τά τε ξύλα καὶ τὰ ἐπικείμενα 2Mc 1:21
he commanded them to draw some of it out and bring it to him. When the sacrifices had been offered, Nehemiah commanded the priests to sprinkle with that liquid both the wood and the things laid on it.
- - - 22 2Mc 1:22 22 ὡς δὲ ἐγένετο τοῦτο καὶ χρόνος διῆλθεν ὅ τε ἥλιος ἀνέλαμψεν πρότερον ἐπινεφὴς ὤν ἀνήφθη πυρὰ μεγάλη ὥστε θαυμάσαι πάντας 2Mc 1:22
When that was done and some time had passed, and the sun shone out, which before was hidden with clouds, a great blaze was kindled, so that all men marveled.
- - - 23 2Mc 1:23 23 προσευχὴν δὲ ἐποιήσαντο οἱ ἱερεῖς δαπανωμένης τῆς θυσίας οἵ τε ἱερεῖς καὶ πάντες καταρχομένου Ιωναθου τῶν δὲ λοιπῶν ἐπιφωνούντων ὡς Νεεμιου 2Mc 1:23
The priests made a prayer while the sacrifice was being consumed—both the priests and all the others. Jonathan led and the rest responded, as Nehemiah did.
- - - 24 2Mc 1:24 24 ἦν δὲ ἡ προσευχὴ τὸν τρόπον ἔχουσα τοῦτον κύριε κύριε ὁ θεός ὁ πάντων κτίστης ὁ φοβερὸς καὶ ἰσχυρὸς καὶ δίκαιος καὶ ἐλεήμων ὁ μόνος βασιλεὺς καὶ χρηστός 2Mc 1:24
¶The prayer was like this: “O Lord, Lord God, the Creator of all things, who are awesome, strong, righteous, and merciful, who alone are King and gracious,
- - - 25 2Mc 1:25 25 ὁ μόνος χορηγός ὁ μόνος δίκαιος καὶ παντοκράτωρ καὶ αἰώνιος ὁ διασῴζων τὸν Ισραηλ ἐκ παντὸς κακοῦ ὁ ποιήσας τοὺς πατέρας ἐκλεκτοὺς καὶ ἁγιάσας αὐτούς 2Mc 1:25
who alone supply every need, who alone are righteous, almighty, and eternal, you who save Israel out of all evil, who chose the ancestors and sanctified them,
- - - 26 2Mc 1:26 26 πρόσδεξαι τὴν θυσίαν ὑπὲρ παντὸς τοῦ λαοῦ σου Ισραηλ καὶ διαφύλαξον τὴν μερίδα σου καὶ καθαγίασον 2Mc 1:26
accept the sacrifice for all your people Israel, and preserve your own portion, and consecrate it.
- - - 27 2Mc 1:27 27 ἐπισυνάγαγε τὴν διασπορὰν ἡμῶν ἐλευθέρωσον τοὺς δουλεύοντας ἐν τοῖς ἔθνεσιν τοὺς ἐξουθενημένους καὶ βδελυκτοὺς ἔπιδε καὶ γνώτωσαν τὰ ἔθνη ὅτι σὺ εἶ ὁ θεὸς ἡμῶν 2Mc 1:27
Gather together our scattered people, set at liberty those who are in bondage among the heathen, look upon those who are despised and abhorred, and let the heathen know that you are our God.
- - - 28 2Mc 1:28 28 βασάνισον τοὺς καταδυναστεύοντας καὶ ἐξυβρίζοντας ἐν ὑπερηφανίᾳ 2Mc 1:28
Punish those who oppress us and in arrogance shamefully entreat us.
- - - 29 2Mc 1:29 29 καταφύτευσον τὸν λαόν σου εἰς τὸν τόπον τὸν ἅγιόν σου καθὼς εἶπεν Μωυσῆς 2Mc 1:29
Plant your people in your holy place, even as Moses said.”
- - - 30 2Mc 1:30 30 οἱ δὲ ἱερεῖς ἐπέψαλλον τοὺς ὕμνους 2Mc 1:30
¶Then the priests sang the hymns.
- - - 31 2Mc 1:31 31 καθὼς δὲ ἀνηλώθη τὰ τῆς θυσίας καὶ τὸ περιλειπόμενον ὕδωρ ὁ Νεεμιας ἐκέλευσεν λίθους μείζονας καταχεῖν 2Mc 1:31
As soon as the sacrifice was consumed, then Nehemiah commanded that the rest of the liquid be poured on large stones.
- - - 32 2Mc 1:32 32 ὡς δὲ τοῦτο ἐγενήθη φλὸξ ἀνήφθη τοῦ δὲ ἀπὸ τοῦ θυσιαστηρίου ἀντιλάμψαντος φωτὸς ἐδαπανήθη 2Mc 1:32
When this was done, a flame was kindled; but when the light from the altar shone back, it went out.
- - - 33 2Mc 1:33 33 ὡς δὲ φανερὸν ἐγενήθη τὸ πρᾶγμα καὶ διηγγέλη τῷ βασιλεῖ τῶν Περσῶν ὅτι εἰς τὸν τόπον οὗ τὸ πῦρ ἔκρυψαν οἱ μεταχθέντες ἱερεῖς τὸ ὕδωρ ἐφάνη ἀφ’ οὗ καὶ οἱ περὶ τὸν Νεεμιαν ἥγνισαν τὰ τῆς θυσίας 2Mc 1:33
When the matter became known, and it was told the king of the Persians that, in the place where the priests who were led away had hid the fire, the liquid appeared which Nehemiah and those who were with him purified the sacrifice,
- - - 34 2Mc 1:34 34 περιφράξας δὲ ὁ βασιλεὺς ἱερὸν ἐποίησεν δοκιμάσας τὸ πρᾶγμα 2Mc 1:34
then the king enclosed the place and made it sacred after he had investigated the matter.
- - - 35 2Mc 1:35 35 καὶ οἷς ἐχαρίζετο ὁ βασιλεύς πολλὰ διάφορα ἐλάμβανεν καὶ μετεδίδου 2Mc 1:35
When the king would show favor to any, he would exchange many presents and give them some of this liquid.
- - - 36 2Mc 1:36 36 προσηγόρευσαν δὲ οἱ περὶ τὸν Νεεμιαν τοῦτο νεφθαρ ὃ διερμηνεύεται καθαρισμός καλεῖται δὲ παρὰ τοῖς πολλοῖς νεφθαι 2Mc 1:36
Nehemiah and those who were with him called this thing “Nephthar”, which is by interpretation, “Cleansing”; but most men call it Nephthai.
- - -
Match Diacritics KEYMAP Wildcard