Μακκαβαίων Βʹ 2 Maccabees
CATSS LXX Wiki Latin Translation LXX / Vulgata Clementina Westminster Leningrad Codex Wiki Latin Translation HB / Vulgata Clementina 1 2Mc 10:1 1 Μακκαβαῖος δὲ καὶ οἱ σὺν αὐτῷ τοῦ κυρίου προάγοντος αὐτοὺς τὸ μὲν ἱερὸν ἐκομίσαντο καὶ τὴν πόλιν 2Mc 10:1
¶Then Maccabaeus and those who were with him, the Lord leading them on, recovered the temple and the city.
- - - 2 2Mc 10:2 2 τοὺς δὲ κατὰ τὴν ἀγορὰν βωμοὺς ὑπὸ τῶν ἀλλοφύλων δεδημιουργημένους ἔτι δὲ τεμένη καθεῖλαν 2Mc 10:2
They pulled down the altars that had been built in the marketplace by the foreigners, and also the sacred enclosures.
- - - 3 2Mc 10:3 3 καὶ τὸν νεὼ καθαρίσαντες ἕτερον θυσιαστήριον ἐποίησαν καὶ πυρώσαντες λίθους καὶ πῦρ ἐκ τούτων λαβόντες ἀνήνεγκαν θυσίας μετὰ διετῆ χρόνον καὶ θυμίαμα καὶ λύχνους καὶ τῶν ἄρτων τὴν πρόθεσιν ἐποιήσαντο 2Mc 10:3
Having cleansed the sanctuary, they made another altar of sacrifice.
Striking flint and starting a fire, they offered sacrifices after they had ceased for two years, burned incense, lit lamps, and set out the show bread.
- - - 4 2Mc 10:4 4 ταῦτα δὲ ποιήσαντες ἠξίωσαν τὸν κύριον πεσόντες ἐπὶ κοιλίαν μηκέτι περιπεσεῖν τοιούτοις κακοῖς ἀλλ’ ἐάν ποτε καὶ ἁμάρτωσιν ὑπ’ αὐτοῦ μετὰ ἐπιεικείας παιδεύεσθαι καὶ μὴ βλασφήμοις καὶ βαρβάροις ἔθνεσιν παραδίδοσθαι 2Mc 10:4
When they had done these things, they fell prostrate and implored the Lord that they might fall no more into such evils; but that, if they ever did sin, they might be chastened by him with forbearance, and not be delivered to blaspheming and barbarous heathen.
- - - 5 2Mc 10:5 5 ἐν ᾗ δὲ ἡμέρᾳ ὁ νεὼς ὑπὸ ἀλλοφύλων ἐβεβηλώθη συνέβη κατὰ τὴν αὐτὴν ἡμέραν τὸν καθαρισμὸν γενέσθαι τοῦ ναοῦ τῇ πέμπτῃ καὶ εἰκάδι τοῦ αὐτοῦ μηνός ὅς ἐστιν Χασελευ 2Mc 10:5
Now on the same day that the sanctuary was profaned by foreigners, upon that very day it came to pass that the sanctuary was cleansed, even on the twenty-fifth day of the same month, which is Chislev.
- - - 6 2Mc 10:6 6 καὶ μετ’ εὐφροσύνης ἦγον ἡμέρας ὀκτὼ σκηνωμάτων τρόπον μνημονεύοντες ὡς πρὸ μικροῦ χρόνου τὴν τῶν σκηνῶν ἑορτὴν ἐν τοῖς ὄρεσιν καὶ ἐν τοῖς σπηλαίοις θηρίων τρόπον ἦσαν νεμόμενοι 2Mc 10:6
They observed eight days with gladness in the manner of the feast of tabernacles, remembering how
not long before, during the feast of tabernacles, they were wandering in the mountains and in the caves like wild animals.
- - - 7 2Mc 10:7 7 διὸ θύρσους καὶ κλάδους ὡραίους ἔτι δὲ καὶ φοίνικας ἔχοντες ὕμνους ἀνέφερον τῷ εὐοδώσαντι καθαρισθῆναι τὸν ἑαυτοῦ τόπον 2Mc 10:7
Therefore carrying wands wreathed with leaves, and beautiful branches, and palm fronds also, they offered up hymns of thanksgiving to him who had successfully brought to pass the cleansing of his own place.
- - - 8 2Mc 10:8 8 ἐδογμάτισαν δὲ μετὰ κοινοῦ προστάγματος καὶ ψηφίσματος παντὶ τῷ τῶν Ιουδαίων ἔθνει κατ’ ἐνιαυτὸν ἄγειν τάσδε τὰς ἡμέρας 2Mc 10:8
They ordained also with a public statute and decree, for all the nation of the Jews, that they should observe these days every year.
- - - 9 2Mc 10:9 9 καὶ τὰ μὲν τῆς Ἀντιόχου τοῦ προσαγορευθέντος Ἐπιφανοῦς τελευτῆς οὕτως εἶχεν 2Mc 10:9
¶Such were the events of the end of Antiochus, who was called Epiphanes.
- - - 10 2Mc 10:10 10 νυνὶ δὲ τὰ κατὰ τὸν Εὐπάτορα Ἀντίοχον υἱὸν δὲ τοῦ ἀσεβοῦς γενόμενον δηλώσομεν αὐτὰ συντέμνοντες τὰ συνέχοντα τῶν πολέμων κακά 2Mc 10:10
¶Now we will declare what came to pass under Antiochus
Eupator, who proved himself a son of that ungodly man, and will summarize the main evils of the wars.
- - - 11 2Mc 10:11 11 οὗτος γὰρ παραλαβὼν τὴν βασιλείαν ἀνέδειξεν ἐπὶ τῶν πραγμάτων Λυσίαν τινά Κοίλης δὲ Συρίας καὶ Φοινίκης στρατηγὸν πρώταρχον 2Mc 10:11
For this man, when he succeeded to the kingdom, appointed one Lysias to be chancellor and supreme governor of Coelesyria and Phoenicia.
- - - 12 2Mc 10:12 12 Πτολεμαῖος γὰρ ὁ καλούμενος Μάκρων τὸ δίκαιον συντηρεῖν προηγούμενος πρὸς τοὺς Ιουδαίους διὰ τὴν γεγονυῖαν εἰς αὐτοὺς ἀδικίαν ἐπειρᾶτο τὰ πρὸς αὐτοὺς εἰρηνικῶς διεξάγειν 2Mc 10:12
For Ptolemy who was called Macron, setting an example of observing justice toward the Jews because of the wrong that had been done to them, endeavored to deal with them on peaceful terms.
- - - 13 2Mc 10:13 13 ὅθεν κατηγορούμενος ὑπὸ τῶν φίλων πρὸς τὸν Εὐπάτορα καὶ προδότης παρ’ ἕκαστα ἀκούων διὰ τὸ τὴν Κύπρον ἐμπιστευθέντα ὑπὸ τοῦ Φιλομήτορος ἐκλιπεῖν καὶ πρὸς Ἀντίοχον τὸν Ἐπιφανῆ ἀναχωρῆσαι μήτε εὐγενῆ τὴν ἐξουσίαν εὐγενίσας φαρμακεύσας ἑαυτὸν ἐξέλιπεν τὸν βίον 2Mc 10:13
Whereupon being accused by the king’s
friends before Eupator, and hearing himself called traitor at every turn because he had abandoned Cyprus which Philometor had entrusted to him, and had withdrawn himself to Antiochus Epiphanes, and
failing to uphold the honor of his office, he took poison and did away with himself.
- - - 14 2Mc 10:14 14 Γοργίας δὲ γενόμενος στρατηγὸς τῶν τόπων ἐξενοτρόφει καὶ παρ’ ἕκαστα πρὸς τοὺς Ιουδαίους ἐπολεμοτρόφει 2Mc 10:14
¶But when Gorgias was made governor of the district, he maintained a force of mercenaries, and at every turn kept up war with the Jews.
- - - 15 2Mc 10:15 15 ὁμοῦ δὲ τούτῳ καὶ οἱ Ιδουμαῖοι ἐγκρατεῖς ἐπικαίρων ὀχυρωμάτων ὄντες ἐγύμναζον τοὺς Ιουδαίους καὶ τοὺς φυγαδεύσαντας ἀπὸ Ιεροσολύμων προσλαβόμενοι πολεμοτροφεῖν ἐπεχείρουν 2Mc 10:15
Together with him the Idumaeans also, being masters of important strongholds, harassed the Jews; and received those who had taken refuge from Jerusalem, they endeavored to keep up the war.
- - - 16 2Mc 10:16 16 οἱ δὲ περὶ τὸν Μακκαβαῖον ποιησάμενοι λιτανείαν καὶ ἀξιώσαντες τὸν θεὸν σύμμαχον αὐτοῖς γενέσθαι ἐπὶ τὰ τῶν Ιδουμαίων ὀχυρώματα ὥρμησαν 2Mc 10:16
But Maccabaeus and his men, having made solemn supplication and having implored God to fight on their side, rushed upon the strongholds of the Idumaeans.
- - - 17 2Mc 10:17 17 οἷς καὶ προσβαλόντες εὐρώστως ἐγκρατεῖς ἐγένοντο τῶν τόπων πάντας τε τοὺς ἐπὶ τῷ τείχει μαχομένους ἠμύναντο κατέσφαζόν τε τοὺς ἐμπίπτοντας ἀνεῖλον δὲ οὐχ ἧττον τῶν δισμυρίων 2Mc 10:17
Assaulting them vigorously, they took control of the positions, and kept off all who fought upon the wall, and killed those whom they encountered, killing no fewer than twenty thousand.
- - - 18 2Mc 10:18 18 συμφυγόντων δὲ οὐκ ἔλαττον τῶν ἐνακισχιλίων εἰς δύο πύργους ὀχυροὺς εὖ μάλα καὶ πάντα τὰ πρὸς πολιορκίαν ἔχοντας 2Mc 10:18
¶Because no fewer than nine thousand had fled into two very strong towers having everything needed for a seige,
- - - 19 2Mc 10:19 19 ὁ Μακκαβαῖος εἰς ἐπείγοντας τόπους ἀπολιπὼν Σιμωνα καὶ Ιωσηπον ἔτι δὲ καὶ Ζακχαῖον καὶ τοὺς σὺν αὐτῷ ἱκανοὺς πρὸς τὴν τούτων πολιορκίαν αὐτὸς ἐχωρίσθη 2Mc 10:19
Maccabaeus, having left Simon and Joseph, and also Zacchaeus and those who were with him, a force sufficient to besiege them, departed himself to places where he was most needed.
- - - 20 2Mc 10:20 20 οἱ δὲ περὶ τὸν Σιμωνα φιλαργυρήσαντες ὑπό τινων τῶν ἐν τοῖς πύργοις ἐπείσθησαν ἀργυρίῳ ἑπτάκις δὲ μυρίας δραχμὰς λαβόντες εἴασάν τινας διαρρυῆναι 2Mc 10:20
But Simon and those who were with him, yielding to covetousness, were bribed by some of those who were in the towers, and receiving seventy thousand drachmas, let some of them slip away.
- - - 21 2Mc 10:21 21 προσαγγελέντος δὲ τῷ Μακκαβαίῳ περὶ τοῦ γεγονότος συναγαγὼν τοὺς ἡγουμένους τοῦ λαοῦ κατηγόρησεν ὡς ἀργυρίου πέπρακαν τοὺς ἀδελφοὺς τοὺς πολεμίους κατ’ αὐτῶν ἀπολύσαντες 2Mc 10:21
But when word was brought to Maccabaeus of what was done, he gathered the leaders of the people together, and accused those men of having sold their kindred for money by setting their enemies free to fight against them.
- - - 22 2Mc 10:22 22 τούτους μὲν οὖν προδότας γενομένους ἀπέκτεινεν καὶ παραχρῆμα τοὺς δύο πύργους κατελάβετο 2Mc 10:22
So he killed these men for having turned traitors, and immediately took possession of the two towers.
- - - 23 2Mc 10:23 23 τοῖς δὲ ὅπλοις τὰ πάντα ἐν ταῖς χερσὶν εὐοδούμενος ἀπώλεσεν ἐν τοῖς δυσὶν ὀχυρώμασιν πλείους τῶν δισμυρίων 2Mc 10:23
Prospering with his weapons in everything he undertook, he destroyed more than twenty thousand in the two strongholds.
- - - 24 2Mc 10:24 24 Τιμόθεος δὲ ὁ πρότερον ἡττηθεὶς ὑπὸ τῶν Ιουδαίων συναγαγὼν ξένας δυνάμεις παμπληθεῖς καὶ τοὺς τῆς Ἀσίας γενομένους ἵππους συναθροίσας οὐκ ὀλίγους παρῆν ὡς δοριάλωτον λημψόμενος τὴν Ιουδαίαν 2Mc 10:24
¶Now Timotheus, who had been defeated by the Jews before, having gathered together foreign forces in great multitudes, and having collected the cavalry which belonged to Asia, not a few, came as though he would take Judea by force of weapons.
- - - 25 2Mc 10:25 25 οἱ δὲ περὶ τὸν Μακκαβαῖον συνεγγίζοντος αὐτοῦ πρὸς ἱκετείαν τοῦ θεοῦ γῇ τὰς κεφαλὰς καταπάσαντες καὶ τὰς ὀσφύας σάκκοις ζώσαντες 2Mc 10:25
But as he drew near, Maccabaeus and his men sprinkled dirt on their heads and girded their loins with sackcloth, in supplication to God,
- - - 26 2Mc 10:26 26 ἐπὶ τὴν ἀπέναντι τοῦ θυσιαστηρίου κρηπῖδα προσπεσόντες ἠξίουν ἵλεως αὐτοῖς γενόμενον ἐχθρεῦσαι τοῖς ἐχθροῖς αὐτῶν καὶ ἀντικεῖσθαι τοῖς ἀντικειμένοις καθὼς ὁ νόμος διασαφεῖ 2Mc 10:26
and falling down upon the step in front of the altar, implored him to become
gracious to them, and
be an enemy to their enemies and an adversary to their adversaries, as the law declares.
- - - 27 2Mc 10:27 27 γενόμενοι δὲ ἀπὸ τῆς δεήσεως ἀναλαβόντες τὰ ὅπλα προῆγον ἀπὸ τῆς πόλεως ἐπὶ πλεῖον συνεγγίσαντες δὲ τοῖς πολεμίοις ἐφ’ ἑαυτῶν ἦσαν 2Mc 10:27
Rising from their prayer they took up their weapons, and advanced some distance from the city. When they had come near to their enemies, they
- - - 28 2Mc 10:28 28 ἄρτι δὲ τῆς ἀνατολῆς διαχεομένης προσέβαλον ἑκάτεροι οἱ μὲν ἔγγυον ἔχοντες εὐημερίας καὶ νίκης μετὰ ἀρετῆς τὴν ἐπὶ τὸν κύριον καταφυγήν οἱ δὲ καθηγεμόνα τῶν ἀγώνων ταττόμενοι τὸν θυμόν 2Mc 10:28
When the dawn was now breaking, the two armies joined in battle, the one part having this, beside virtue, for a pledge of success and victory, that they had fled to the Lord for refuge, the others making their passion their leader in the fight.
- - - 29 2Mc 10:29 29 γενομένης δὲ καρτερᾶς μάχης ἐφάνησαν τοῖς ὑπεναντίοις ἐξ οὐρανοῦ ἐφ’ ἵππων χρυσοχαλίνων ἄνδρες πέντε διαπρεπεῖς καὶ ἀφηγούμενοι τῶν Ιουδαίων 2Mc 10:29
¶When the battle became strong, there appeared out of heaven to their adversaries five splendid men on horses with bridles of gold,
and two of them, leading on the Jews,
- - - 30 2Mc 10:30 30 οἳ καὶ τὸν Μακκαβαῖον μέσον λαβόντες καὶ σκεπάζοντες ταῖς ἑαυτῶν πανοπλίαις ἄτρωτον διεφύλαττον εἰς δὲ τοὺς ὑπεναντίους τοξεύματα καὶ κεραυνοὺς ἐξερρίπτουν διὸ συγχυθέντες ἀορασίᾳ διεκόπτοντο ταραχῆς πεπληρωμένοι 2Mc 10:30
and taking Maccabaeus in the midst of them, and covering him with their own armor, guarded him from wounds, while they shot arrows and thunderbolts at the enemies. For this reason, they were blinded and thrown into confusion, and were cut to pieces, filled with bewilderment.
- - - 31 2Mc 10:31 31 κατεσφάγησαν δὲ δισμύριοι πρὸς τοῖς πεντακοσίοις ἱππεῖς δὲ ἑξακόσιοι 2Mc 10:31
Twenty thousand five hundred were slain, beside six hundred cavalry.
- - - 32 2Mc 10:32 32 αὐτὸς δὲ ὁ Τιμόθεος συνέφυγεν εἰς Γαζαρα λεγόμενον ὀχύρωμα εὖ μάλα φρούριον στρατηγοῦντος ἐκεῖ Χαιρεου 2Mc 10:32
¶Timotheus himself fled into a stronghold called Gazara, a fortress of great strength,
where Chaereas was in command.
- - - 33 2Mc 10:33 33 οἱ δὲ περὶ τὸν Μακκαβαῖον ἄσμενοι περιεκάθισαν τὸ φρούριον ἡμέρας τέσσαρας 2Mc 10:33
Then Maccabaeus and his men were glad and laid siege to the fortress for four days.
- - - 34 2Mc 10:34 34 οἱ δὲ ἔνδον τῇ ἐρυμνότητι τοῦ τόπου πεποιθότες ὑπεράγαν ἐβλασφήμουν καὶ λόγους ἀθεμίτους προΐεντο 2Mc 10:34
Those who were within, trusting in the strength of the place, blasphemed exceedingly, and hurled out impious words.
- - - 35 2Mc 10:35 35 ὑποφαινούσης δὲ τῆς πέμπτης ἡμέρας εἴκοσι νεανίαι τῶν περὶ τὸν Μακκαβαῖον πυρωθέντες τοῖς θυμοῖς διὰ τὰς βλασφημίας προσβαλόντες τῷ τείχει ἀρρενωδῶς καὶ θηριώδει θυμῷ τὸν ἐμπίπτοντα ἔκοπτον 2Mc 10:35
But at dawn of the fifth day, certain young men of Maccabaeus’ company, inflamed with anger because of the blasphemies, assaulted the wall with masculine force and with
furious anger, and cut down whoever came in their way.
- - - 36 2Mc 10:36 36 ἕτεροι δὲ ὁμοίως προσαναβάντες ἐν τῷ περισπασμῷ πρὸς τοὺς ἔνδον ἐνεπίμπρων τοὺς πύργους καὶ πυρὰς ἀνάπτοντες ζῶντας τοὺς βλασφήμους κατέκαιον οἱ δὲ τὰς πύλας διέκοπτον εἰσδεξάμενοι δὲ τὴν λοιπὴν τάξιν προκατελάβοντο τὴν πόλιν 2Mc 10:36
Others climbing up in the same way, while the enemies were distracted with those who had made their way within, set fire to the towers, and kindled fires that burned the blasphemers alive, while others broke open the gates, and, having given entrance to the rest of the band, occupied the city.
- - - 37 2Mc 10:37 37 καὶ τὸν Τιμόθεον ἀποκεκρυμμένον ἔν τινι λάκκῳ κατέσφαξαν καὶ τὸν τούτου ἀδελφὸν Χαιρέαν καὶ τὸν Ἀπολλοφάνην 2Mc 10:37
They killed Timotheus, who was hidden in a cistern, and his brother Chaereas, and Apollophanes.
- - - 38 2Mc 10:38 38 ταῦτα δὲ διαπραξάμενοι μεθ’ ὕμνων καὶ ἐξομολογήσεων εὐλόγουν τῷ κυρίῳ τῷ μεγάλως εὐεργετοῦντι τὸν Ισραηλ καὶ τὸ νῖκος αὐτοῖς διδόντι 2Mc 10:38
When they had accomplished these things, they blessed the Lord with hymns and thanksgiving, blessing him who provides great benefits to Israel and gives them the victory.
- - -
Match Diacritics KEYMAP Wildcard