Μακκαβαίων Βʹ 2 Maccabees
CATSS LXX Wiki Latin Translation LXX / Vulgata Clementina Westminster Leningrad Codex Wiki Latin Translation HB / Vulgata Clementina 1 2Mc 13:1 1 τῷ δὲ ἐνάτῳ καὶ τεσσαρακοστῷ καὶ ἑκατοστῷ ἔτει προσέπεσεν τοῖς περὶ τὸν Ιουδαν Ἀντίοχον τὸν Εὐπάτορα παραγενέσθαι σὺν πλήθεσιν ἐπὶ τὴν Ιουδαίαν 2Mc 13:1
¶In the one hundred forty-ninth year, news was brought to Judas and his company that Antiochus Eupator was coming with multitudes against Judea,
- - - 2 2Mc 13:2 2 καὶ σὺν αὐτῷ Λυσίαν τὸν ἐπίτροπον καὶ ἐπὶ τῶν πραγμάτων ἕκαστον ἔχοντα δύναμιν Ἑλληνικὴν πεζῶν μυριάδας ἕνδεκα καὶ ἱππέων πεντακισχιλίους τριακοσίους καὶ ἐλέφαντας εἴκοσι δύο ἅρματα δὲ δρεπανηφόρα τριακόσια 2Mc 13:2
and with him Lysias his guardian and chancellor, each having a Greek force of one hundred ten thousand infantry, five thousand three hundred cavalry, twenty-two elephants, and three hundred chariots armed with scythes.
- - - 3 2Mc 13:3 3 συνέμειξεν δὲ αὐτοῖς καὶ Μενέλαος καὶ παρεκάλει μετὰ πολλῆς εἰρωνείας τὸν Ἀντίοχον οὐκ ἐπὶ σωτηρίᾳ τῆς πατρίδος οἰόμενος δὲ ἐπὶ τῆς ἀρχῆς κατασταθήσεσθαι 2Mc 13:3
¶And Menelaus also joined himself with them, and with great hypocrisy encouraged Antiochus, not for the saving of his country, but because he thought that he would be set over the government.
- - - 4 2Mc 13:4 4 ὁ δὲ βασιλεὺς τῶν βασιλέων ἐξήγειρεν τὸν θυμὸν τοῦ Ἀντιόχου ἐπὶ τὸν ἀλιτήριον καὶ Λυσίου ὑποδείξαντος τοῦτον αἴτιον εἶναι πάντων τῶν κακῶν προσέταξεν ὡς ἔθος ἐστὶν ἐν τῷ τόπῳ προσαπολέσαι ἀγαγόντας εἰς Βέροιαν 2Mc 13:4
But the King of kings stirred up the anger of Antiochus against the wicked wretch. When Lysias informed him that this man was the cause of all the evils, the king commanded to bring him to Beroea, and to put him to death in the way customary in that place.
- - - 5 2Mc 13:5 5 ἔστιν δὲ ἐν τῷ τόπῳ πύργος πεντήκοντα πήχεων πλήρης σποδοῦ οὗτος δὲ ὄργανον εἶχεν περιφερὲς πάντοθεν ἀπόκρημνον εἰς τὴν σποδόν 2Mc 13:5
Now there is in that place a tower that is fifty cubits high, full of ashes, and it had all around it a
circular rim sloping steeply on every side into the ashes.
- - - 6 2Mc 13:6 6 ἐνταῦθα τὸν ἱεροσυλίας ἔνοχον ἢ καί τινων ἄλλων κακῶν ὑπεροχὴν πεποιημένον ἅπαντες προσωθοῦσιν εἰς ὄλεθρον 2Mc 13:6
Here one who is guilty of sacrilege or notorious for other crimes is pushed down to destruction.
- - - 7 2Mc 13:7 7 τοιούτῳ μόρῳ τὸν παράνομον συνέβη θανεῖν μηδὲ τῆς γῆς τυχόντα Μενέλαον 2Mc 13:7
By such a fate it happened that the breaker of the law, Menelaus, died, without obtaining so much as a grave in the earth, and that justly;
- - - 8 2Mc 13:8 8 πάνυ δικαίως ἐπεὶ γὰρ συνετελέσατο πολλὰ περὶ τὸν βωμὸν ἁμαρτήματα οὗ τὸ πῦρ ἁγνὸν ἦν καὶ ἡ σποδός ἐν σποδῷ τὸν θάνατον ἐκομίσατο 2Mc 13:8
for inasmuch as he had perpetrated many sins
against the altar, whose fire and whose ashes were holy, he received his death in ashes.
- - - 9 2Mc 13:9 9 τοῖς δὲ φρονήμασιν ὁ βασιλεὺς βεβαρβαρωμένος ἤρχετο τὰ χείριστα τῶν ἐπὶ τοῦ πατρὸς αὐτοῦ γεγονότων ἐνδειξόμενος τοῖς Ιουδαίοις 2Mc 13:9
¶Now the king,
infuriated in spirit, was coming with intent to inflict on the Jews the very worst of the sufferings that had been done in his father’s time.
- - - 10 2Mc 13:10 10 μεταλαβὼν δὲ Ιουδας ταῦτα παρήγγειλεν τῷ πλήθει δι’ ἡμέρας καὶ νυκτὸς ἐπικαλεῖσθαι τὸν κύριον εἴ ποτε καὶ ἄλλοτε καὶ νῦν ἐπιβοηθεῖν τοῖς τοῦ νόμου καὶ πατρίδος καὶ ἱεροῦ ἁγίου στερεῖσθαι μέλλουσιν 2Mc 13:10
But when Judas heard of these things, he commanded the multitude to call upon the Lord day and night, if ever at any other time, so now to help those who were at the point of being deprived of the law, their country, and the holy temple,
- - - 11 2Mc 13:11 11 καὶ τὸν ἄρτι βραχέως ἀνεψυχότα λαὸν μὴ ἐᾶσαι τοῖς δυσφήμοις ἔθνεσιν ὑποχειρίους γενέσθαι 2Mc 13:11
and not to allow the people who had just begun to be revived to fall into the hands of those profane heathen.
- - - 12 2Mc 13:12 12 πάντων δὲ τὸ αὐτὸ ποιησάντων ὁμοῦ καὶ καταξιωσάντων τὸν ἐλεήμονα κύριον μετὰ κλαυθμοῦ καὶ νηστειῶν καὶ προπτώσεως ἐπὶ ἡμέρας τρεῖς ἀδιαλείπτως παρακαλέσας αὐτοὺς ὁ Ιουδας ἐκέλευσεν παραγίνεσθαι 2Mc 13:12
So when they had all done the same thing together,
begging the merciful Lord with weeping and fastings and prostration for three days without ceasing, Judas exhorted them and commanded they should join him.
- - - 13 2Mc 13:13 13 καθ’ ἑαυτὸν δὲ σὺν τοῖς πρεσβυτέροις γενόμενος ἐβουλεύσατο πρὶν εἰσβαλεῖν τοῦ βασιλέως τὸ στράτευμα εἰς τὴν Ιουδαίαν καὶ γενέσθαι τῆς πόλεως ἐγκρατεῖς ἐξελθόντας κρῖναι τὰ πράγματα τῇ τοῦ θεοῦ βοηθείᾳ 2Mc 13:13
¶Having consulted privately with the elders, he resolved that before the king’s army entered into Judea and made themselves masters of the city, they should go out and decide the matter by the help of
- - - 14 2Mc 13:14 14 δοὺς δὲ τὴν ἐπιτροπὴν τῷ κτίστῃ τοῦ κόσμου παρακαλέσας τοὺς σὺν αὐτῷ γενναίως ἀγωνίσασθαι μέχρι θανάτου περὶ νόμων ἱεροῦ πόλεως πατρίδος πολιτείας περὶ δὲ Μωδεϊν ἐποιήσατο τὴν στρατοπεδείαν 2Mc 13:14
And committing the decision to the
Lord of the world, and exhorting those who were with him to contend nobly even to death for laws, temple, city, country, and way of life, he pitched his camp by Modin.
- - - 15 2Mc 13:15 15 ἀναδοὺς δὲ τοῖς περὶ αὐτὸν σύνθημα θεοῦ νίκην μετὰ νεανίσκων ἀρίστων κεκριμένων ἐπιβαλὼν νύκτωρ ἐπὶ τὴν βασιλικὴν αὐλὴν τὴν παρεμβολὴν ἀνεῖλεν εἰς ἄνδρας δισχιλίους καὶ τὸν πρωτεύοντα τῶν ἐλεφάντων σὺν τῷ κατ’ οἰκίαν ὄντι συνεκέντησεν 2Mc 13:15
He gave out to his men the watchword, “VICTORY IS GOD’S”, with a chosen force of the bravest young men he attacked by the king’s pavilion by night, and killed of his army as many as two thousand men, and
brought down the leading elephant with him who was in the
tower on him.
- - - 16 2Mc 13:16 16 καὶ τὸ τέλος τὴν παρεμβολὴν δέους καὶ ταραχῆς ἐπλήρωσαν καὶ ἐξέλυσαν εὐημεροῦντες 2Mc 13:16
At last they filled the
army with terror and alarm, and departed with good success.
- - - 17 2Mc 13:17 17 ὑποφαινούσης δὲ ἤδη τῆς ἡμέρας τοῦτο ἐγεγόνει διὰ τὴν ἐπαρήγουσαν αὐτῷ τοῦ κυρίου σκέπην 2Mc 13:17
This had been accomplished when the day was just dawning, because of the Lord’s protection that gave
- - - 18 2Mc 13:18 18 ὁ δὲ βασιλεὺς εἰληφὼς γεῦμα τῆς τῶν Ιουδαίων εὐτολμίας κατεπείρασεν διὰ μεθόδων τοὺς τόπους 2Mc 13:18
¶But the king, having had a taste of the exceeding boldness of the Jews, made strategic attacks on their positions,
- - - 19 2Mc 13:19 19 καὶ ἐπὶ Βαιθσουρα φρούριον ὀχυρὸν τῶν Ιουδαίων προσῆγεν ἐτροποῦτο προσέκρουεν ἠλαττονοῦτο 2Mc 13:19
and on a strong fortress of the Jews at Bethsura. He advanced, was turned back, failed, and was defeated.
- - - 20 2Mc 13:20 20 τοῖς δὲ ἔνδον Ιουδας τὰ δέοντα εἰσέπεμψεν 2Mc 13:20
Judas sent the things that were necessary to those who were within.
- - - 21 2Mc 13:21 21 προσήγγειλεν δὲ τὰ μυστήρια τοῖς πολεμίοις Ροδοκος ἐκ τῆς Ιουδαϊκῆς τάξεως ἀνεζητήθη καὶ κατελήμφθη καὶ κατεκλείσθη 2Mc 13:21
But Rhodocus, from the Jewish ranks, made secrets known to the enemy. He was sought out, arrested, and shut up in prison.
- - - 22 2Mc 13:22 22 ἐδευτερολόγησεν ὁ βασιλεὺς τοῖς ἐν Βαιθσουροις δεξιὰν ἔδωκεν ἔλαβεν ἀπῄει προσέβαλεν τοῖς περὶ τὸν Ιουδαν ἥττων ἐγένετο 2Mc 13:22
The king negotiated with them in Bethsura the second time, gave his hand, took theirs, departed, attacked the forces of Judas, was put to the worse,
- - - 23 2Mc 13:23 23 μετέλαβεν ἀπονενοῆσθαι τὸν Φίλιππον ἐν Ἀντιοχείᾳ τὸν ἀπολελειμμένον ἐπὶ τῶν πραγμάτων συνεχύθη τοὺς Ιουδαίους παρεκάλεσεν ὑπετάγη καὶ ὤμοσεν ἐπὶ πᾶσι τοῖς δικαίοις συνελύθη καὶ θυσίαν προσήγαγεν ἐτίμησεν τὸν νεὼ καὶ τὸν τόπον ἐφιλανθρώπησεν 2Mc 13:23
heard that Philip who had been left as chancellor in Antioch had become reckless, was confounded, made to the Jews an overture of peace, submitted himself and swore to acknowledge all their rights, came to terms with them and offered sacrifice, honored the sanctuary and the place,
- - - 24 2Mc 13:24 24 καὶ τὸν Μακκαβαῖον ἀπεδέξατο κατέλιπεν στρατηγὸν ἀπὸ Πτολεμαίδος ἕως τῶν Γερρηνῶν ἡγεμονίδην 2Mc 13:24
showed kindness and graciously received Maccabaeus, left Hegemonides governor from Ptolemais even to the
- - - 25 2Mc 13:25 25 ἦλθεν εἰς Πτολεμαίδα ἐδυσφόρουν περὶ τῶν συνθηκῶν οἱ Πτολεμαεῖς ἐδείναζον γὰρ ὑπὲρ ὧν ἠθέλησαν ἀθετεῖν τὰς διαστάλσεις 2Mc 13:25
and came to Ptolemais. The men of Ptolemais were displeased at the treaty, for they had exceedingly great indignation against the Jews. They desired to annul the articles of the agreement.
- - - 26 2Mc 13:26 26 προσῆλθεν ἐπὶ τὸ βῆμα Λυσίας ἀπελογήσατο ἐνδεχομένως συνέπεισεν κατεπράυνεν εὐμενεῖς ἐποίησεν ἀνέζευξεν εἰς Ἀντιόχειαν οὕτω τὰ τοῦ βασιλέως τῆς ἐφόδου καὶ τῆς ἀναζυγῆς ἐχώρησεν 2Mc 13:26
came forward to speak, made the best defense that was possible, persuaded, pacified, gained their good will, and departed to Antioch. This was the issue of the attack and departure of the king.
- - -
Match Diacritics KEYMAP Wildcard