Μακκαβαίων Βʹ 2 Maccabees
CATSS LXX Wiki Latin Translation LXX / Vulgata Clementina Westminster Leningrad Codex Wiki Latin Translation HB / Vulgata Clementina 1 2Mc 2:1 1 εὑρίσκεται δὲ ἐν ταῖς ἀπογραφαῖς Ιερεμιας ὁ προφήτης ὅτι ἐκέλευσεν τοῦ πυρὸς λαβεῖν τοὺς μεταγενομένους ὡς σεσήμανται 2Mc 2:1
¶It is also found in the records that Jeremiah the prophet commanded those who were carried away to take some of the fire, as has been mentioned,
- - - 2 2Mc 2:2 2 καὶ ὡς ἐνετείλατο τοῖς μεταγενομένοις ὁ προφήτης δοὺς αὐτοῖς τὸν νόμον ἵνα μὴ ἐπιλάθωνται τῶν προσταγμάτων τοῦ κυρίου καὶ ἵνα μὴ ἀποπλανηθῶσιν ταῖς διανοίαις βλέποντες ἀγάλματα χρυσᾶ καὶ ἀργυρᾶ καὶ τὸν περὶ αὐτὰ κόσμον 2Mc 2:2
and how that the prophet charged those who were carried away, having given them the law, that they should not forget the statutes of the Lord or be led astray in their minds when they saw images of gold and silver, and their adornment.
- - - 3 2Mc 2:3 3 καὶ ἕτερα τοιαῦτα λέγων παρεκάλει μὴ ἀποστῆναι τὸν νόμον ἀπὸ τῆς καρδίας αὐτῶν 2Mc 2:3
With other such words exhorted he them, that the law should not depart from their hearts.
- - - 4 2Mc 2:4 4 ἦν δὲ ἐν τῇ γραφῇ ὡς τὴν σκηνὴν καὶ τὴν κιβωτὸν ἐκέλευσεν ὁ προφήτης χρηματισμοῦ γενηθέντος αὐτῷ συνακολουθεῖν ὡς δὲ ἐξῆλθεν εἰς τὸ ὄρος οὗ ὁ Μωυσῆς ἀναβὰς ἐθεάσατο τὴν τοῦ θεοῦ κληρονομίαν 2Mc 2:4
¶It was in the writing that the prophet, being warned by God, commanded that the tabernacle and the ark should follow with him,
when he went out to the mountain where Moses had gone up and saw God’s inheritance.
- - - 5 2Mc 2:5 5 καὶ ἐλθὼν ὁ Ιερεμιας εὗρεν οἶκον ἀντρώδη καὶ τὴν σκηνὴν καὶ τὴν κιβωτὸν καὶ τὸ θυσιαστήριον τοῦ θυμιάματος εἰσήνεγκεν ἐκεῖ καὶ τὴν θύραν ἐνέφραξεν 2Mc 2:5
Jeremiah came and found a cave, he brought the tabernacle, the ark, and the altar of incense into it; then he sealed the entrance.
- - - 6 2Mc 2:6 6 καὶ προσελθόντες τινὲς τῶν συνακολουθούντων ὥστε ἐπισημάνασθαι τὴν ὁδὸν καὶ οὐκ ἐδυνήθησαν εὑρεῖν 2Mc 2:6
Some of those who followed with him came there that they might mark the way, and could not find it.
- - - 7 2Mc 2:7 7 ὡς δὲ ὁ Ιερεμιας ἔγνω μεμψάμενος αὐτοῖς εἶπεν ὅτι καὶ ἄγνωστος ὁ τόπος ἔσται ἕως ἂν συναγάγῃ ὁ θεὸς ἐπισυναγωγὴν τοῦ λαοῦ καὶ ἵλεως γένηται 2Mc 2:7
But when Jeremiah learned about that, he rebuked them, saying, “The place shall be unknown until God gathers the people together again and shows mercy.
- - - 8 2Mc 2:8 8 καὶ τότε ὁ κύριος ἀναδείξει ταῦτα καὶ ὀφθήσεται ἡ δόξα τοῦ κυρίου καὶ ἡ νεφέλη ὡς ἐπὶ Μωυσῇ ἐδηλοῦτο ὡς καὶ ὁ Σαλωμων ἠξίωσεν ἵνα ὁ τόπος καθαγιασθῇ μεγάλως 2Mc 2:8
Then the Lord will disclose these things, and the glory of the Lord shall be seen with the cloud, as it was also shown to Moses, also as Solomon implored that the place might be consecrated greatly,
- - - 9 2Mc 2:9 9 διεσαφεῖτο δὲ καὶ ὡς σοφίαν ἔχων ἀνήνεγκεν θυσίαν ἐγκαινισμοῦ καὶ τῆς τελειώσεως τοῦ ἱεροῦ 2Mc 2:9
and it was also declared that he, having wisdom, offered a sacrifice of dedication, and of the finishing of the temple.
- - - 10 2Mc 2:10 10 καθὼς καὶ Μωυσῆς προσηύξατο πρὸς κύριον καὶ κατέβη πῦρ ἐκ τοῦ οὐρανοῦ καὶ τὰ τῆς θυσίας ἐδαπάνησεν οὕτως καὶ Σαλωμων προσηύξατο καὶ καταβὰν τὸ πῦρ ἀνήλωσεν τὰ ὁλοκαυτώματα 2Mc 2:10
As Moses prayed to the Lord and fire came down out of heaven and consumed the sacrifice, even so Solomon also prayed, and the fire came down and consumed the burnt offerings.
- - - 11 2Mc 2:11 11 καὶ εἶπεν Μωυσῆς διὰ τὸ μὴ βεβρῶσθαι τὸ περὶ τῆς ἁμαρτίας ἀνηλώθη 2Mc 2:11 *
Moses said, ‘Because the sin offering had not been eaten, it was consumed in like manner.’
- - - 12 2Mc 2:12 12 ὡσαύτως καὶ ὁ Σαλωμων τὰς ὀκτὼ ἡμέρας ἤγαγεν 2Mc 2:12
Likewise Solomon kept the eight days.”
- - - 13 2Mc 2:13 13 ἐξηγοῦντο δὲ καὶ ἐν ταῖς ἀναγραφαῖς καὶ ἐν τοῖς ὑπομνηματισμοῖς τοῖς κατὰ τὸν Νεεμιαν τὰ αὐτὰ καὶ ὡς καταβαλλόμενος βιβλιοθήκην ἐπισυνήγαγεν τὰ περὶ τῶν βασιλέων βιβλία καὶ προφητῶν καὶ τὰ τοῦ Δαυιδ καὶ ἐπιστολὰς βασιλέων περὶ ἀναθεμάτων 2Mc 2:13
¶The same things were reported both in the public archives and in Nehemiah’s records, and also how he, founding a library, gathered together the books about the kings and prophets, and the writings of David, and letters of kings about sacred gifts.
- - - 14 2Mc 2:14 14 ὡσαύτως δὲ καὶ Ιουδας τὰ διαπεπτωκότα διὰ τὸν γεγονότα πόλεμον ἡμῖν ἐπισυνήγαγεν πάντα καὶ ἔστιν παρ’ ἡμῖν 2Mc 2:14
In like manner Judas also gathered together for us all those books that had been scattered by reason of the war, and they are still with us.
- - - 15 2Mc 2:15 15 ὧν οὖν ἐὰν χρείαν ἔχητε τοὺς ἀποκομιοῦντας ὑμῖν ἀποστέλλετε 2Mc 2:15
If therefore you have need of them, send some people to bring them to you.
- - - 16 2Mc 2:16 16 μέλλοντες οὖν ἄγειν τὸν καθαρισμὸν ἐγράψαμεν ὑμῖν καλώς οὖν ποιήσετε ἄγοντες τὰς ἡμέρας 2Mc 2:16
¶Seeing then that we are about to celebrate the purification, we write to you. You will therefore do well if you celebrate the days.
- - - 17 2Mc 2:17 17 ὁ δὲ θεὸς ὁ σώσας τὸν πάντα λαὸν αὐτοῦ καὶ ἀποδοὺς τὴν κληρονομίαν πᾶσιν καὶ τὸ βασίλειον καὶ τὸ ἱεράτευμα καὶ τὸν ἁγιασμόν 2Mc 2:17
Now God, who saved all his people, and restored the heritage to all, with the kingdom, the priesthood, and the consecration,
- - - 18 2Mc 2:18 18 καθὼς ἐπηγγείλατο διὰ τοῦ νόμου ἐλπίζομεν γὰρ ἐπὶ τῷ θεῷ ὅτι ταχέως ἡμᾶς ἐλεήσει καὶ ἐπισυνάξει ἐκ τῆς ὑπὸ τὸν οὐρανὸν εἰς τὸν ἅγιον τόπον ἐξείλετο γὰρ ἡμᾶς ἐκ μεγάλων κακῶν καὶ τὸν τόπον ἐκαθάρισεν 2Mc 2:18
even as he promised through the law— in God have we hope, that he will soon have mercy upon us, and gather us together out of everywhere under heaven into his holy place; for he delivered us out of great evils, and purified the place. ¶———————
- - - 19 2Mc 2:19 19 τὰ δὲ κατὰ τὸν Ιουδαν τὸν Μακκαβαῖον καὶ τοὺς τούτου ἀδελφοὺς καὶ τὸν τοῦ ἱεροῦ τοῦ μεγίστου καθαρισμὸν καὶ τὸν τοῦ βωμοῦ ἐγκαινισμὸν 2Mc 2:19
¶Now the things concerning Judas Maccabaeus and his brothers, the purification of the greatest temple, the dedication of the altar,
- - - 20 2Mc 2:20 20 ἔτι τε τοὺς πρὸς Ἀντίοχον τὸν Ἐπιφανῆ καὶ τὸν τούτου υἱὸν Εὐπάτορα πολέμους 2Mc 2:20
and further the wars against Antiochus Epiphanes and Eupator his son,
- - - 21 2Mc 2:21 21 καὶ τὰς ἐξ οὐρανοῦ γενομένας ἐπιφανείας τοῖς ὑπὲρ τοῦ Ιουδαϊσμοῦ φιλοτίμως ἀνδραγαθήσασιν ὥστε τὴν ὅλην χώραν ὀλίγους ὄντας λεηλατεῖν καὶ τὰ βάρβαρα πλήθη διώκειν 2Mc 2:21
and the manifestations that came from heaven to those who fought with one another in brave deeds for the religion of the Jews; so that, being but a few, they seized the whole country, chased the barbarous multitudes,
- - - 22 2Mc 2:22 22 καὶ τὸ περιβόητον καθ’ ὅλην τὴν οἰκουμένην ἱερὸν ἀνακομίσασθαι καὶ τὴν πόλιν ἐλευθερῶσαι καὶ τοὺς μέλλοντας καταλύεσθαι νόμους ἐπανορθῶσαι τοῦ κυρίου μετὰ πάσης ἐπιεικείας ἵλεω γενομένου αὐτοῖς 2Mc 2:22
recovered again the temple renowned all the world over, freed the city, and restored the laws which were about to be overthrown, seeing the Lord became gracious to them with all kindness.
- - - 23 2Mc 2:23 23 ὑπὸ Ἰάσωνος τοῦ Κυρηναίου δεδηλωμένα διὰ πέντε βιβλίων πειρασόμεθα δι’ ἑνὸς συντάγματος ἐπιτεμεῖν 2Mc 2:23
These things which have been declared by Jason of Cyrene in five books, we will attempt to abridge in one book.
- - - 24 2Mc 2:24 24 συνορῶντες γὰρ τὸ χύμα τῶν ἀριθμῶν καὶ τὴν οὖσαν δυσχέρειαν τοῖς θέλουσιν εἰσκυκλεῖσθαι τοῖς τῆς ἱστορίας διηγήμασιν διὰ τὸ πλῆθος τῆς ὕλης 2Mc 2:24
For having in view the confused mass of the numbers, and the
difficulty which awaits those who would enter into the narratives of the history, by reason of the abundance of the matter,
- - - 25 2Mc 2:25 25 ἐφροντίσαμεν τοῖς μὲν βουλομένοις ἀναγινώσκειν ψυχαγωγίαν τοῖς δὲ φιλοφρονοῦσιν εἰς τὸ διὰ μνήμης ἀναλαβεῖν εὐκοπίαν πᾶσιν δὲ τοῖς ἐντυγχάνουσιν ὠφέλειαν 2Mc 2:25
we were careful that those who choose to read may be attracted, and that those who wish us well may find it easy to recall, and that all readers may benefit.
- - - 26 2Mc 2:26 26 καὶ ἡμῖν μὲν τοῖς τὴν κακοπάθειαν ἐπιδεδεγμένοις τῆς ἐπιτομῆς οὐ ῥᾴδιον ἱδρῶτος δὲ καὶ ἀγρυπνίας τὸ πρᾶγμα 2Mc 2:26
Although to us, who have taken upon ourselves the painful labor of the abridgement, the task is not easy, but a matter of sweat and sleeplessness,
- - - 27 2Mc 2:27 27 καθάπερ τῷ παρασκευάζοντι συμπόσιον καὶ ζητοῦντι τὴν ἑτέρων λυσιτέλειαν οὐκ εὐχερές ὅμως διὰ τὴν τῶν πολλῶν εὐχαριστίαν ἡδέως τὴν κακοπάθειαν ὑποίσομεν 2Mc 2:27
even as it is no light thing to him who prepares a banquet, and seeks the benefit of others. Nevertheless, for the sake of the gratitude of the many we will gladly endure the painful labor,
- - - 28 2Mc 2:28 28 τὸ μὲν διακριβοῦν περὶ ἑκάστων τῷ συγγραφεῖ παραχωρήσαντες τὸ δὲ ἐπιπορεύεσθαι τοῖς ὑπογραμμοῖς τῆς ἐπιτομῆς διαπονοῦντες 2Mc 2:28
leaving to the historian the exact handling of every particular, and again having no strength to fill in the outlines of our abridgement.
- - - 29 2Mc 2:29 29 καθάπερ γὰρ τῆς καινῆς οἰκίας ἀρχιτέκτονι τῆς ὅλης καταβολῆς φροντιστέον τῷ δὲ ἐγκαίειν καὶ ζωγραφεῖν ἐπιχειροῦντι τὰ ἐπιτήδεια πρὸς διακόσμησιν ἐξεταστέον οὕτως δοκῶ καὶ ἐπὶ ἡμῶν 2Mc 2:29
For as the masterbuilder of a new house must care for the whole structure, and again he who undertakes to decorate and paint it must seek out the things fit for its adorning; even so I think it is also with us.
- - - 30 2Mc 2:30 30 τὸ μὲν ἐμβατεύειν καὶ περίπατον ποιεῖσθαι λόγων καὶ πολυπραγμονεῖν ἐν τοῖς κατὰ μέρος τῷ τῆς ἱστορίας ἀρχηγέτῃ καθήκει 2Mc 2:30
To occupy the ground, and to indulge in long discussions, and to be curious in particulars, is fitting for the first author of the history;
- - - 31 2Mc 2:31 31 τὸ δὲ σύντομον τῆς λέξεως μεταδιώκειν καὶ τὸ ἐξεργαστικὸν τῆς πραγματείας παραιτεῖσθαι τῷ τὴν μετάφρασιν ποιουμένῳ συγχωρητέον 2Mc 2:31
but to strive after brevity of expression, and to avoid a labored fullness in the treatment, is to be granted to him who would bring a writing into a new form.
- - - 32 2Mc 2:32 32 ἐντεῦθεν οὖν ἀρξώμεθα τῆς διηγήσεως τοῖς προειρημένοις τοσοῦτον ἐπιζεύξαντες εὔηθες γὰρ τὸ μὲν πρὸ τῆς ἱστορίας πλεονάζειν τὴν δὲ ἱστορίαν ἐπιτεμεῖν 2Mc 2:32
Here then let’s begin the narration, only adding this much to that which has already been said; for it is a foolish thing to make a long prologue to the history, and to abridge the history itself.
- - -
Match Diacritics KEYMAP Wildcard