Μακκαβαίων Γʹ 3 Maccabees
CATSS LXX Wiki Latin Translation LXX / Vulgata Clementina Westminster Leningrad Codex Wiki Latin Translation HB / Vulgata Clementina 1 3Mc 2:1 1 ὁ μὲν οὖν ἀρχιερεὺς Σιμων ἐξ ἐναντίας τοῦ ναοῦ κάμψας τὰ γόνατα καὶ τὰς χεῖρας προτείνας εὐτάκτως ἐποιήσατο τὴν δέησιν τοιαύτην 3Mc 2:1
¶Now it was that the high priest Simon bowed his knees near the holy place, spread out his hands in reverent form, and uttered the following prayer:
- - - 2 3Mc 2:2 2 κύριε κύριε βασιλεῦ τῶν οὐρανῶν καὶ δέσποτα πάσης κτίσεως ἅγιε ἐν ἁγίοις μόναρχε παντοκράτωρ πρόσχες ἡμῖν καταπονουμένοις ὑπὸ ἀνοσίου καὶ βεβήλου θράσει καὶ σθένει πεφρυαγμένου 3Mc 2:2
“O Lord, Lord, King of the heavens, and Ruler of the whole creation, Holy among the holy, sole Governor, Almighty, give ear to us who are oppressed by a wicked and profane one, who celebrates in his confidence and strength.
- - - 3 3Mc 2:3 3 σὺ γὰρ ὁ κτίσας τὰ πάντα καὶ τῶν ὅλων ἐπικρατῶν δυνάστης δίκαιος εἶ καὶ τοὺς ὕβρει καὶ ἀγερωχίᾳ τι πράσσοντας κρίνεις 3Mc 2:3
It is you, the Creator of all, the Lord of the universe, who are a righteous Governor, and judge all who act with pride and insolence.
- - - 4 3Mc 2:4 4 σὺ τοὺς ἔμπροσθεν ἀδικίαν ποιήσαντας ἐν οἷς καὶ γίγαντες ἦσαν ῥώμῃ καὶ θράσει πεποιθότες διέφθειρας ἐπαγαγὼν αὐτοῖς ἀμέτρητον ὕδωρ 3Mc 2:4
It was you who destroyed the former workers of unrighteousness, among whom were the giants, who trusted in their strength and daring, by covering them with a measureless flood.
- - - 5 3Mc 2:5 5 σὺ τοὺς ὑπερηφανίαν ἐργαζομένους Σοδομίτας διαδήλους ταῖς κακίαις γενομένους πυρὶ καὶ θείῳ κατέφλεξας παράδειγμα τοῖς ἐπιγινομένοις καταστήσας 3Mc 2:5
It was you who made the Sodomites, those workers of exceedingly iniquity, men notorious for their vices, an example to later generations, when you covered them with fire and brimstone
- - - 6 3Mc 2:6 6 σὺ τὸν θρασὺν Φαραω καταδουλωσάμενον τὸν λαόν σου τὸν ἅγιον Ισραηλ ποικίλαις καὶ πολλαῖς δοκιμάσας τιμωρίαις ἐγνώρισας τὴν σὴν δύναμιν ἐφ’ οἷς ἐγνώρισας τὸ μέγα σου κράτος 3Mc 2:6
You made known your power when you caused the bold Pharaoh, the enslaver of your people, to pass through the ordeal of many and diverse inflictions.
- - - 7 3Mc 2:7 7 καὶ ἐπιδιώξαντα αὐτὸν σὺν ἅρμασιν καὶ ὄχλων πλήθει ἐπέκλυσας βάθει θαλάσσης τοὺς δὲ ἐμπιστεύσαντας ἐπὶ σοὶ τῷ τῆς ἁπάσης κτίσεως δυναστεύοντι σώους διεκόμισας 3Mc 2:7
You rolled the depths of the sea over him when he pursued with chariots and with a multitude of followers, and gave a safe passage to those who put their trust in you, the Lord of the whole creation.
- - - 8 3Mc 2:8 8 οἳ καὶ συνιδόντες ἔργα σῆς χειρὸς ᾔνεσάν σε τὸν παντοκράτορα 3Mc 2:8
These saw and felt the works of your hands, and praised you, the Almighty.
- - - 9 3Mc 2:9 9 σύ βασιλεῦ κτίσας τὴν ἀπέραντον καὶ ἀμέτρητον γῆν ἐξελέξω τὴν πόλιν ταύτην καὶ ἡγίασας τὸν τόπον τοῦτον εἰς ὄνομά σοι τῷ τῶν ἁπάντων ἀπροσδεεῖ καὶ παρεδόξασας ἐν ἐπιφανείᾳ μεγαλοπρεπεῖ σύστασιν ποιησάμενος αὐτοῦ πρὸς δόξαν τοῦ μεγάλου καὶ ἐντίμου ὀνόματός σου 3Mc 2:9
You, O King, when you created the immeasurable and measureless earth, chose this city. You made this place sacred to your name, even though you need nothing. You glorified it with your illustrious presence, after constructing it to the glory of your great and honorable name.
- - - 10 3Mc 2:10 10 καὶ ἀγαπῶν τὸν οἶκον τοῦ Ισραηλ ἐπηγγείλω διότι ἐὰν γένηται ἡμῶν ἀποστροφὴ καὶ καταλάβῃ ἡμᾶς στενοχωρία καὶ ἐλθόντες εἰς τὸν τόπον τοῦτον δεηθῶμεν εἰσακούσῃ τῆς δεήσεως ἡμῶν 3Mc 2:10
You promised, out of love for the people of Israel, that if we fall away from you, become afflicted, and then come to this house and pray, you would hear our prayer.
- - - 11 3Mc 2:11 11 καὶ δὴ πιστὸς εἶ καὶ ἀληθινός 3Mc 2:11
Truly you are faithful and true.
- - - 12 3Mc 2:12 12 ἐπεὶ δὲ πλεονάκις θλιβέντων τῶν πατέρων ἡμῶν ἐβοήθησας αὐτοῖς ἐν τῇ ταπεινώσει καὶ ἐρρύσω αὐτοὺς ἐκ μεγάλων κακῶν 3Mc 2:12
When you often aided our fathers when hard pressed and humiliated, and delivered them out of great dangers,
- - - 13 3Mc 2:13 13 ἰδοὺ δὲ νῦν ἅγιε βασιλεῦ διὰ τὰς πολλὰς καὶ μεγάλας ἡμῶν ἁμαρτίας καταπονούμεθα καὶ ὑπετάγημεν τοῖς ἐχθροῖς ἡμῶν καὶ παρείμεθα ἐν ἀδυναμίαις 3Mc 2:13
see now, holy King, how through our many and great sins we are crushed and made subject to our enemies, and have become weak and powerless.
- - - 14 3Mc 2:14 14 ἐν δὲ τῇ ἡμετέρᾳ καταπτώσει ὁ θρασὺς καὶ βέβηλος οὗτος ἐπιτηδεύει καθυβρίσαι τὸν ἐπὶ τῆς γῆς ἀναδεδειγμένον τῷ ὀνόματι τῆς δόξης σου ἅγιον τόπον 3Mc 2:14
In our low condition, this bold and profane man seeks to dishonor this your holy place, consecrated out of the earth to the name of your Majesty.
- - - 15 3Mc 2:15 15 τὸ μὲν γὰρ κατοικητήριόν σου οὐρανὸς τοῦ οὐρανοῦ ἀνέφικτος ἀνθρώποις ἐστίν 3Mc 2:15
Your dwelling place, the heaven of heavens, is indeed unapproachable to men.
- - - 16 3Mc 2:16 16 ἀλλὰ ἐπεὶ εὐδοκήσας τὴν δόξαν σου ἐν τῷ λαῷ σου Ισραηλ ἡγίασας τὸν τόπον τοῦτον 3Mc 2:16
But since it seemed good to you to exhibit your glory among your people Israel, you sanctified this place.
- - - 17 3Mc 2:17 17 μὴ ἐκδικήσῃς ἡμᾶς ἐν τῇ τούτων ἀκαθαρσίᾳ μηδὲ εὐθύνῃς ἡμᾶς ἐν βεβηλώσει ἵνα μὴ καυχήσωνται οἱ παράνομοι ἐν θυμῷ αὐτῶν μηδὲ ἀγαλλιάσωνται ἐν ὑπερηφανίᾳ γλώσσης αὐτῶν λέγοντες 3Mc 2:17
Don’t punish us by means of the uncleanness of their men, and don’t chastise us by means of their profanity, lest the lawless ones should boast in their rage, and exult in exuberant pride of speech, and say,
- - - 18 3Mc 2:18 18 ἡμεῖς κατεπατήσαμεν τὸν οἶκον τοῦ ἁγιασμοῦ ὡς καταπατοῦνται οἱ οἶκοι τῶν προσοχθισμάτων 3Mc 2:18
‘We have trampled upon the holy house, as idolatrous houses are trampled upon.’
- - - 19 3Mc 2:19 19 ἀπάλειψον τὰς ἁμαρτίας ἡμῶν καὶ διασκέδασον τὰς ἀμβλακίας ἡμῶν καὶ ἐπίφανον τὸ ἔλεός σου κατὰ τὴν ὥραν ταύτην 3Mc 2:19
Blot out our iniquities, do away with our errors, and show your compassion in this hour.
- - - 20 3Mc 2:20 20 ταχὺ προκαταλαβέτωσαν ἡμᾶς οἱ οἰκτιρμοί σου καὶ δὸς αἰνέσεις ἐν τῷ στόματι τῶν καταπεπτωκότων καὶ συντετριμμένων τὰς ψυχὰς ποιήσας ἡμῖν εἰρήνην 3Mc 2:20
Let your mercies quickly go before us. Grant us peace, that the downcast and broken hearted may praise you with their mouth.”
- - - 21 3Mc 2:21 21 ἐνταῦθα ὁ πάντων ἐπόπτης θεὸς καὶ προπάτωρ ἅγιος ἐν ἁγίοις εἰσακούσας τῆς ἐνθέσμου λιτανείας τὸν ὕβρει καὶ θράσει μεγάλως ἐπηρμένον ἐμάστιξεν αὐτὸν 3Mc 2:21
¶At that time God, who sees all things, who is beyond all Holy among the holy, heard that prayer, so suitable, and scourged the man who was greatly uplifted with scorn and insolence.
- - - 22 3Mc 2:22 22 ἔνθεν καὶ ἔνθεν κραδάνας αὐτὸν ὡς κάλαμον ὑπὸ ἀνέμου ὥστε κατ’ ἐδάφους ἄπρακτον ἔτι καὶ τοῖς μέλεσιν παραλελυμένον μηδὲ φωνῆσαι δύνασθαι δικαίᾳ περιπεπληγμένον κρίσει 3Mc 2:22
Shaking him back and forth as a reed is shaken with the wind, he threw him down on the pavement, powerless, with limbs paralyzed, and by a righteous judgment deprived of the ability to speak.
- - - 23 3Mc 2:23 23 ὅθεν οἵ τε φίλοι καὶ σωματοφύλακες ὀξεῖαν ἰδόντες τὴν καταλαβοῦσαν αὐτὸν εὔθυναν φοβούμενοι μὴ καὶ τὸ ζῆν ἐκλείπῃ ταχέως αὐτὸν ἐξείλκυσαν ὑπερβάλλοντι καταπεπληγμένοι φόβῳ 3Mc 2:23
His friends and bodyguards, seeing the swift recompense which had suddenly overtaken him, struck with exceeding terror, and fearing that he would die, speedily removed him.
- - - 24 3Mc 2:24 24 ἐν χρόνῳ δὲ ὕστερον ἀναλεξάμενος αὑτὸν οὐδαμῶς εἰς μετάμελον ἦλθεν ἐπιτιμηθείς ἀπειλὰς δὲ πικρὰς θέμενος ἀνέλυσεν 3Mc 2:24
When in course of time he had come to himself, this severe punishment caused no repentance within him, but he departed with bitter threatenings.
- - - 25 3Mc 2:25 25 διακομισθεὶς δὲ εἰς τὴν Αἴγυπτον καὶ τὰ τῆς κακίας ἐπαύξων διά τε τῶν προαποδεδειγμένων συμποτῶν καὶ ἑταίρων τοῦ παντὸς δικαίου κεχωρισμένων 3Mc 2:25
¶He proceeded to Egypt, grew worse in wickedness through his previously mentioned companions in wine, who were lost to all goodness,
- - - 26 3Mc 2:26 26 οὐ μόνον ταῖς ἀναριθμήτοις ἀσελγείαις διηρκέσθη ἀλλὰ καὶ ἐπὶ τοσοῦτον θράσους προῆλθεν ὥστε δυσφημίας ἐν τοῖς τόποις συνίστασθαι καὶ πολλοὺς τῶν φίλων ἀτενίζοντας εἰς τὴν τοῦ βασιλέως πρόθεσιν καὶ αὐτοὺς ἕπεσθαι τῇ ἐκείνου θελήσει 3Mc 2:26
and not satisfied with countless acts of impiety, his audacity so increased that he raised evil reports there, and many of his friends, watching his purpose attentively, joined in furthering his will.
- - - 27 3Mc 2:27 27 προέθετο δημοσίᾳ κατὰ τοῦ ἔθνους διαδοῦναι ψόγον ἐπὶ τοῦ κατὰ τὴν αὐλὴν πύργου στήλην ἀναστήσας ἐκόλαψεν γραφὴν 3Mc 2:27
His purpose was to inflict a public stigma upon our race. Therefore he erected a stone pillar in the courtyard, and caused the following inscription to be engraved upon it:
- - - 28 3Mc 2:28 28 μηδένα τῶν μὴ θυόντων εἰς τὰ ἱερὰ αὐτῶν εἰσιέναι πάντας δὲ τοὺς Ιουδαίους εἰς λαογραφίαν καὶ οἰκετικὴν διάθεσιν ἀχθῆναι τοὺς δὲ ἀντιλέγοντας βίᾳ φερομένους τοῦ ζῆν μεταστῆσαι 3Mc 2:28
“Entrance to this temple is to be refused to all those who would not sacrifice. All the Jews were to be registered among the slaves. Those who resisted are to be forcibly seized and put to death.
- - - 29 3Mc 2:29 29 τούς τε ἀπογραφομένους χαράσσεσθαι καὶ διὰ πυρὸς εἰς τὸ σῶμα παρασήμῳ Διονύσου κισσοφύλλῳ οὓς καὶ καταχωρίσαι εἰς τὴν προσυνεσταλμένην αὐθεντίαν 3Mc 2:29
Those who are thus registered are to be marked on their persons by the ivy-leaf symbol of Dionysus, and to be reduced to these limited rights.”
- - - 30 3Mc 2:30 30 ἵνα δὲ μὴ τοῖς πᾶσιν ἀπεχθόμενος φαίνηται ὑπέγραψεν ἐὰν δέ τινες ἐξ αὐτῶν προαιρῶνται ἐν τοῖς κατὰ τὰς τελετὰς μεμυημένοις ἀναστρέφεσθαι τούτους ἰσοπολίτας Ἀλεξανδρεῦσιν εἶναι 3Mc 2:30
To do away with the appearance of hating them all, he had it written underneath, that if any of them should elect to enter the community of those initiated in the rites, these should have equal rights with the Alexandrians.
- - - 31 3Mc 2:31 31 ἔνιοι μὲν οὖν ἐπιπολαίως τὰς τῆς πόλεως εὐσεβείας ἐπιβάθρας στυγοῦντες εὐχερῶς ἑαυτοὺς ἐδίδοσαν ὡς μεγάλης τινὸς κοινωνήσοντες εὐκλείας ἀπὸ τῆς ἐσομένης τῷ βασιλεῖ συναναστροφῆς 3Mc 2:31
¶Some of those who were over the city, therefore, abhorring any approach to the city of piety, unhesitatingly gave in to the king, and expected to derive some great honor from a future connection with him.
- - - 32 3Mc 2:32 32 οἱ δὲ πλεῖστοι γενναίᾳ ψυχῇ ἐνίσχυσαν καὶ οὐ διέστησαν τῆς εὐσεβείας τά τε χρήματα περὶ τοῦ ζῆν ἀντικαταλλασσόμενοι ἀδεῶς ἐπειρῶντο ἑαυτοὺς ῥύσασθαι ἐκ τῶν ἀπογραφῶν 3Mc 2:32
A nobler spirit, however, prompted the majority to cling to their religious observances, and by paying money that they might live unmolested, these sought to escape the registration,
- - - 33 3Mc 2:33 33 εὐέλπιδές τε καθειστήκεισαν ἀντιλήμψεως τεύξασθαι καὶ τοὺς ἀποχωροῦντας ἐξ αὐτῶν ἐβδελύσσοντο καὶ ὡς πολεμίους τοῦ ἔθνους ἔκρινον καὶ τῆς κοινῆς συναναστροφῆς καὶ εὐχρηστίας ἐστέρουν 3Mc 2:33
cheerfully looking forward to future aid, they abhorred their own apostates, considering them to be national foes, and depriving them of common fellowship and mutual help.
- - -
Match Diacritics KEYMAP Wildcard