Μακκαβαίων Δʹ 4 Maccabees
CATSS LXX Wiki Latin Translation LXX / Vulgata Clementina Westminster Leningrad Codex Wiki Latin Translation HB / Vulgata Clementina 1 4Mc 12:1 1 ὡς δὲ καὶ οὗτος μακαρίως ἀπέθανεν καταβληθεὶς εἰς λέβητα ὁ ἕβδομος παρεγίνετο πάντων νεώτερος 4Mc 12:1
¶When he, too, had undergone blessed martyrdom, and died in the cauldron into which he had been thrown, the seventh, the youngest of all, came forward,
- - - 2 4Mc 12:2 2 ὃν κατοικτίρας ὁ τύραννος καίπερ δεινῶς ὑπὸ τῶν ἀδελφῶν αὐτοῦ κακισθείς ὁρῶν ἤδη τὰ δεσμὰ περικείμενα πλησιέστερον αὐτὸν μετεπέμψατο καὶ παρηγορεῖν ἐπειρᾶτο λέγων 4Mc 12:2
whom the tyrant pitying, though he had been dreadfully reproached by his kindred,
- - - 3 4Mc 12:3 3 τῆς μὲν τῶν ἀδελφῶν σου ἀπονοίας τὸ τέλος ὁρᾷς διὰ γὰρ ἀπείθειαν στρεβλωθέντες τεθνᾶσιν 4Mc 12:3
seeing him already encompassed with chains, had him brought nearer, and endeavored to counsel him, saying,
- - - 4 4Mc 12:4 4 σὺ δὲ εἰ μὲν μὴ πεισθείης τάλας βασανισθεὶς καὶ αὐτὸς τεθνήξῃ πρὸ ὥρας 4Mc 12:4
“You see the end of the madness of your kindred, for they have died in torture through disobedience. You, if disobedient, having been miserably tormented, will yourself perish prematurely.
- - - 5 4Mc 12:5 5 πεισθεὶς δὲ φίλος ἔσῃ καὶ τῶν ἐπὶ τῆς βασιλείας ἀφηγήσῃ πραγμάτων 4Mc 12:5
But if you obey, you will be my friend, and have a charge over the affairs of the kingdom.”
- - - 6 4Mc 12:6 6 καὶ ταῦτα παρακαλῶν τὴν μητέρα τοῦ παιδὸς μετεπέμψατο ὅπως αὐτὴν ἐλεήσας τοσούτων υἱῶν στερηθεῖσαν παρορμήσειεν ἐπὶ τὴν σωτήριον εὐπείθειαν τὸν περιλειπόμενον 4Mc 12:6
Having thus exhorted him, he sent for the boy’s mother, that, by showing compassion to her for the loss of so many sons, he might incline her, through the hope of safety, to render the survivor obedient.
- - - 7 4Mc 12:7 7 ὁ δὲ τῆς μητρὸς τῇ Εβραΐδι φωνῇ προτρεψαμένης αὐτόν ὡς ἐροῦμεν μετὰ μικρὸν ὕστερον 4Mc 12:7
¶He, after his mother had urged him on in the Hebrew tongue, (as we will soon relate) said,
- - - 8 4Mc 12:8 8 λύσατέ μέ φησιν εἴπω τῷ βασιλεῖ καὶ τοῖς σὺν αὐτῷ φίλοις πᾶσιν 4Mc 12:8
“Release me that I may speak to the king and all his friends.”
- - - 9 4Mc 12:9 9 καὶ ἐπιχαρέντες μάλιστα ἐπὶ τῇ ἐπαγγελίᾳ τοῦ παιδὸς ταχέως ἔλυσαν αὐτόν 4Mc 12:9
They, rejoicing exceedingly at the promise of the youth, quickly let him go.
- - - 10 4Mc 12:10 10 καὶ δραμὼν ἐπὶ πλησίον τῶν τηγάνων 4Mc 12:10
He, running up to the pans, said,
- - - 11 4Mc 12:11 11 ἀνόσιέ φησιν καὶ πάντων πονηρῶν ἀσεβέστατε τύραννε οὐκ ᾐδέσθης παρὰ τοῦ θεοῦ λαβὼν τὰ ἀγαθὰ καὶ τὴν βασιλείαν τοὺς θεράποντας αὐτοῦ κατακτεῖναι καὶ τοὺς τῆς εὐσεβείας ἀσκητὰς στρεβλῶσαι 4Mc 12:11
“Impious tyrant, and most blasphemous man, were you not ashamed, having received prosperity and a kingdom from God, to kill His servants, and to rack the doers of godliness?
- - - 12 4Mc 12:12 12 ἀνθ’ ὧν ταμιεύσεταί σε ἡ δίκη πυκνοτέρῳ καὶ αἰωνίῳ πυρὶ καὶ βασάνοις αἳ εἰς ὅλον τὸν αἰῶνα οὐκ ἀνήσουσίν σε 4Mc 12:12
Therefore the divine vengeance is reserving you for eternal fire and torments, which will cling to you for all time.
- - - 13 4Mc 12:13 13 οὐκ ᾐδέσθης ἄνθρωπος ὤν θηριωδέστατε τοὺς ὁμοιοπαθεῖς καὶ ἐκ τῶν αὐτῶν γεγονότας στοιχείων γλωττοτομῆσαι καὶ τοῦτον καταικίσας τὸν τρόπον βασανίσαι 4Mc 12:13
Weren’t you ashamed, man as you are, yet most savage, to cut out the tongues of men of like feeling and origin, and having thus abused to torture them?
- - - 14 4Mc 12:14 14 ἀλλ’ οἱ μὲν εὐγενῶς ἀποθανόντες ἐπλήρωσαν τὴν εἰς τὸν θεὸν εὐσέβειαν σὺ δὲ κακῶς οἰμώξεις τοὺς τῆς ἀρετῆς ἀγωνιστὰς ἀναιτίως ἀποκτεῖνας 4Mc 12:14
But they, bravely dying, fulfilled their religion toward God.
- - - 15 4Mc 12:15 15 ὅθεν καὶ αὐτὸς ἀποθνῄσκειν μέλλων ἔφη 4Mc 12:15
But you will groan as you deserve for having slain without cause the champions of virtue.
- - - 16 4Mc 12:16 16 οὐκ ἀπαυτομολῶ τῆς τῶν ἀδελφῶν μου ἀριστείας 4Mc 12:16
Therefore,” he continued, “I myself, being about to die,
- - - 17 4Mc 12:17 17 ἐπικαλοῦμαι δὲ τὸν πατρῷον θεὸν ὅπως ἵλεως γένηται τῷ ἔθνει ἡμῶν 4Mc 12:17
will not forsake my kindred.
- - - 18 4Mc 12:18 18 σὲ δὲ καὶ ἐν τῷ νῦν βίῳ καὶ θανόντα τιμωρήσεται 4Mc 12:18
I call upon the God of my fathers to be merciful to my race.
- - - 19 4Mc 12:19 19 καὶ ταῦτα κατευξάμενος ἑαυτὸν ἔρριψε κατὰ τῶν τηγάνων καὶ οὕτως ἀπέδωκεν 4Mc 12:19
But you, both living and dead, he will punish.”
- - -
Match Diacritics KEYMAP Wildcard