Μακκαβαίων Δʹ 4 Maccabees
CATSS LXX Wiki Latin Translation LXX / Vulgata Clementina Westminster Leningrad Codex Wiki Latin Translation HB / Vulgata Clementina 1 4Mc 18:1 1 ὦ τῶν Αβραμιαίων σπερμάτων ἀπόγονοι παῖδες Ισραηλῖται πείθεσθε τῷ νόμῳ τούτῳ καὶ πάντα τρόπον εὐσεβεῖτε 4Mc 18:1
¶O Israelite children, descendants of the seed of Abraham, obey this law and in every way be religious,
- - - 2 4Mc 18:2 2 γινώσκοντες ὅτι τῶν παθῶν ἐστιν δεσπότης ὁ εὐσεβὴς λογισμὸς καὶ οὐ μόνον τῶν ἔνδοθεν ἀλλὰ καὶ τῶν ἔξωθεν πόνων 4Mc 18:2
knowing that religious reasoning is lord of the emotions, and those not only inward but outward.
- - - 3 4Mc 18:3 3 ἀνθ’ ὧν διὰ τὴν εὐσέβειαν προέμενοι τὰ σώματα τοῖς πόνοις ἐκεῖνοι οὐ μόνον ὑπὸ τῶν ἀνθρώπων ἐθαυμάσθησαν ἀλλὰ καὶ θείας μερίδος κατηξιώθησαν 4Mc 18:3
¶Therefore those people who gave up their bodies to pains for the sake of religion were not only admired by men, but were deemed worthy of a divine portion.
- - - 4 4Mc 18:4 4 καὶ δι’ αὐτοὺς εἰρήνευσεν τὸ ἔθνος καὶ τὴν εὐνομίαν τὴν ἐπὶ τῆς πατρίδος ἀνανεωσάμενοι ἐκπεπόρθηκαν τοὺς πολεμίους 4Mc 18:4
The nation through them obtained peace, and having renewed the observance of the law in their country, drove the enemy out of the land.
- - - 5 4Mc 18:5 5 καὶ ὁ τύραννος Ἀντίοχος καὶ ἐπὶ γῆς τετιμώρηται καὶ ἀποθανὼν κολάζεται ὡς γὰρ οὐδὲν οὐδαμῶς ἴσχυσεν ἀναγκάσαι τοὺς Ιεροσολυμίτας ἀλλοφυλῆσαι καὶ τῶν πατρίων ἐθῶν ἐκδιαιτηθῆναι τότε ἀπάρας ἀπὸ τῶν Ιεροσολύμων ἐστράτευσεν ἐπὶ Πέρσας 4Mc 18:5
The tyrant Antiochus was both punished on earth, and is punished now that he is dead; for when he was quite unable to compel the Israelites to adopt foreign customs, and to desert the manner of life of their fathers,
- - - 6 4Mc 18:6 6 ἔλεγεν δὲ ἡ μήτηρ τῶν ἑπτὰ παίδων καὶ ταῦτα τὰ δικαιώματα τοῖς τέκνοις 4Mc 18:6
then, departing from Jerusalem, he made war against the Persians.
- - - 7 4Mc 18:7 7 ὅτι ἐγὼ ἐγενήθην παρθένος ἁγνὴ οὐδὲ ὑπερέβην πατρικὸν οἶκον ἐφύλασσον δὲ τὴν ᾠκοδομημένην πλευράν 4Mc 18:7
The righteous mother of the seven children spoke also as follows to her offspring: “I was a pure virgin, and didn’t go beyond my father’s house, but I took care of the rib from which woman was made.
- - - 8 4Mc 18:8 8 οὐδὲ ἔφθειρέν με λυμεὼν ἐρημίας φθορεὺς ἐν πεδίῳ οὐδὲ ἐλυμήνατό μου τὰ ἁγνὰ τῆς παρθενίας λυμεὼν ἀπάτης ὄφις 4Mc 18:8
No destroyer of the desert or ravisher of the plain injured me, nor did the destructive, deceitful snake make plunder of my chaste virginity. I remained with my husband during the time of my maturity.
- - - 9 4Mc 18:9 9 ἔμεινα δὲ χρόνον ἀκμῆς σὺν ἀνδρί τούτων δὲ ἐνηλίκων γενομένων ἐτελεύτησεν ὁ πατὴρ αὐτῶν μακάριος μὲν ἐκεῖνος τὸν γὰρ τῆς εὐτεκνίας βίον ἐπιζήσας τὸν τῆς ἀτεκνίας οὐκ ὠδυνήθη καιρόν 4Mc 18:9
When these, my children, arrived at maturity, their father died. He was blessed! For having sought out a life of fertility in children, he was not grieved with a period of loss of children.
- - - 10 4Mc 18:10 10 ὃς ἐδίδασκεν ὑμᾶς ἔτι ὢν σὺν ὑμῖν τὸν νόμον καὶ τοὺς προφήτας 4Mc 18:10
He used to teach you, when yet with you, the law and the prophets.
- - - 11 4Mc 18:11 11 τὸν ἀναιρεθέντα Αβελ ὑπὸ Καιν ἀνεγίνωσκέν τε ὑμῖν καὶ τὸν ὁλοκαρπούμενον Ισαακ καὶ τὸν ἐν φυλακῇ Ιωσηφ 4Mc 18:11
He used to read to you about the slaying of Abel by Cain, the offering up of Isaac, and the imprisonment of Joseph.
- - - 12 4Mc 18:12 12 ἔλεγεν δὲ ὑμῖν τὸν ζηλωτὴν Φινεες ἐδίδασκέν τε ὑμᾶς τοὺς ἐν πυρὶ Ανανιαν καὶ Αζαριαν καὶ Μισαηλ 4Mc 18:12
He used to tell you of the zealous Phinehas, and informed you of Ananias, Azarias, and Misael in the fire.
- - - 13 4Mc 18:13 13 ἐδόξαζεν δὲ καὶ τὸν ἐν λάκκῳ λεόντων Δανιηλ ὃν ἐμακάριζεν 4Mc 18:13
He used to glorify Daniel, who was in the den of lions, and pronounce him blessed.
- - - 14 4Mc 18:14 14 ὑπεμίμνῃσκεν δὲ ὑμᾶς καὶ τὴν Ησαιου γραφὴν τὴν λέγουσαν κἂν διὰ πυρὸς διέλθῃς φλὸξ οὐ κατακαύσει σε 4Mc 18:14
He used to remind you of the scripture of Esaias, which says, “Even if you pass through the fire, it won’t burn you.”
- - - 15 4Mc 18:15 15 τὸν ὑμνογράφον ἐμελῴδει ὑμῖν Δαυιδ λέγοντα πολλαὶ αἱ θλίψεις τῶν δικαίων 4Mc 18:15
He chanted to you David, the hymn writer, who says, “Many are the afflictions of the just.”
- - - 16 4Mc 18:16 16 τὸν Σαλωμῶντα ἐπαροιμίαζεν ὑμῖν λέγοντα ξύλον ζωῆς ἐστιν τοῖς ποιοῦσιν αὐτοῦ τὸ θέλημα 4Mc 18:16
He declared the proverbs of Solomon, who says, “He is a tree of life to all those who do His will.”
- - - 17 4Mc 18:17 17 τὸν Ιεζεκιηλ ἐπιστοποίει τὸν λέγοντα εἰ ζήσεται τὰ ὀστᾶ τὰ ξηρὰ ταῦτα 4Mc 18:17
He used to confirm what Ezekiel said: “Will these dry bones live?”
- - - 18 4Mc 18:18 18 ᾠδὴν μὲν γάρ ἣν ἐδίδαξεν Μωυσῆς οὐκ ἐπελάθετο διδάσκων τὴν λέγουσαν 4Mc 18:18
For he didn’t forget the song which Moses taught, proclaiming, “I will kill, and I will make alive.”
- - - 19 4Mc 18:19 19 ἐγὼ ἀποκτενῶ καὶ ζῆν ποιήσω αὕτη ἡ ζωὴ ὑμῶν καὶ ἡ μακρότης τῶν ἡμερῶν 4Mc 18:19
This is our life and the length of our days.
- - - 20 4Mc 18:20 20 ὦ πικρᾶς τῆς τότε ἡμέρας καὶ οὐ πικρᾶς ὅτε ὁ πικρὸς Ἑλλήνων τύραννος πῦρ πυρὶ σβέσας λέβησιν ὠμοῖς καὶ ζέουσι θυμοῖς ἀγαγὼν ἐπὶ τὸν καταπέλτην καὶ πάλιν τὰς βασάνους αὐτοῦ τοὺς ἑπτὰ παῖδας τῆς Αβρααμίτιδος 4Mc 18:20
¶O that bitter, and yet not bitter, day when the bitter tyrant of the Greeks, quenching fire with fire in his cruel caldrons, brought with boiling rage the seven sons of the daughter of Abraham to the rack, and to all his torments!
- - - 21 4Mc 18:21 21 τὰς τῶν ὀμμάτων κόρας ἐπήρωσεν καὶ γλώσσας ἐξέτεμεν καὶ βασάνοις ποικίλαις ἀπέκτεινεν 4Mc 18:21
He pierced the balls of their eyes, and cut out their tongues, and put them to death with varied tortures.
- - - 22 4Mc 18:22 22 ὑπὲρ ὧν ἡ θεία δίκη μετῆλθεν καὶ μετελεύσεται τὸν ἀλάστορα τύραννον 4Mc 18:22
Therefore divine retribution pursued and will pursue the pestilent wretch.
- - - 23 4Mc 18:23 23 οἱ δὲ Αβραμιαῖοι παῖδες σὺν τῇ ἀθλοφόρῳ μητρὶ εἰς πατέρων χορὸν συναγελάζονται ψυχὰς ἁγνὰς καὶ ἀθανάτους ἀπειληφότες παρὰ τοῦ θεοῦ 4Mc 18:23
But the children of Abraham, with their victorious mother, are assembled together to the choir of their father, having received pure and immortal souls from God.
- - - 24 4Mc 18:24 24 ᾧ ἡ δόξα εἰς τοὺς αἰῶνας τῶν αἰώνων αμην 4Mc 18:24
To him be glory forever and ever. Amen.
- - -
Match Diacritics KEYMAP Wildcard