CATSS LXX Wiki Latin Translation LXX / Vulgata Clementina Westminster Leningrad Codex Wiki Latin Translation HB / Vulgata Clementina 1 Bar 3:1 1 κύριε παντοκράτωρ ὁ θεὸς Ισραηλ ψυχὴ ἐν στενοῖς καὶ πνεῦμα ἀκηδιῶν κέκραγεν πρὸς σέ Bar 3:1
¶“‘O Lord Almighty, God of Israel, the soul in anguish, the troubled spirit, cries to you.
- - - 2 Bar 3:2 2 ἄκουσον κύριε καὶ ἐλέησον ὅτι ἡμάρτομεν ἐναντίον σου Bar 3:2
Hear, O Lord, and have mercy because you are merciful, and have pity upon us because we have sinned before you.
- - - 3 Bar 3:3 3 ὅτι σὺ καθήμενος τὸν αἰῶνα καὶ ἡμεῖς ἀπολλύμενοι τὸν αἰῶνα Bar 3:3
For you endure for ever and we perish utterly.
- - - 4 Bar 3:4 4 κύριε παντοκράτωρ ὁ θεὸς Ισραηλ ἄκουσον δὴ τῆς προσευχῆς τῶν τεθνηκότων Ισραηλ καὶ υἱῶν τῶν ἁμαρτανόντων ἐναντίον σου οἳ οὐκ ἤκουσαν τῆς φωνῆς κυρίου θεοῦ αὐτῶν καὶ ἐκολλήθη ἡμῖν τὰ κακά Bar 3:4
O Lord Almighty, you God of Israel, hear now the prayers of the dead Israelites and their children, who have sinned before you and not heeded the voice of you, their God, and as a result these plagues cling to us.
- - - 5 Bar 3:5 5 μὴ μνησθῇς ἀδικιῶν πατέρων ἡμῶν ἀλλὰ μνήσθητι χειρός σου καὶ ὀνόματός σου ἐν τῷ καιρῷ τούτῳ Bar 3:5
Remember not the iniquities of our forefathers, but think upon your power and your name now at this time.
- - - 6 Bar 3:6 6 ὅτι σὺ κύριος ὁ θεὸς ἡμῶν καὶ αἰνέσομέν σε κύριε Bar 3:6
For you are the Lord our God, and you, O Lord, will we praise.
- - - 7 Bar 3:7 7 ὅτι διὰ τοῦτο ἔδωκας τὸν φόβον σου ἐπὶ καρδίαν ἡμῶν τοῦ ἐπικαλεῖσθαι τὸ ὄνομά σου καὶ αἰνέσομέν σε ἐν τῇ ἀποικίᾳ ἡμῶν ὅτι ἀπεστρέψαμεν ἀπὸ καρδίας ἡμῶν πᾶσαν ἀδικίαν πατέρων ἡμῶν τῶν ἡμαρτηκότων ἐναντίον σου Bar 3:7
And for this reason you have put your fear into our hearts, to the intent that we should call upon your name and praise you in our captivity, for we have called to mind all the iniquity of our forefathers who sinned before you.
- - - 8 Bar 3:8 8 ἰδοὺ ἡμεῖς σήμερον ἐν τῇ ἀποικίᾳ ἡμῶν οὗ διέσπειρας ἡμᾶς ἐκεῖ εἰς ὀνειδισμὸν καὶ εἰς ἀρὰν καὶ εἰς ὄφλησιν κατὰ πάσας τὰς ἀδικίας πατέρων ἡμῶν οἳ ἀπέστησαν ἀπὸ κυρίου θεοῦ ἡμῶν Bar 3:8
Behold, we are still this day in our captivity, where you have scattered us as a reproach and a curse, and to be subject to payments, according to all the iniquities of our fathers who departed from the Lord our God.
- - - 9 Bar 3:9 9 ἄκουε Ισραηλ ἐντολὰς ζωῆς ἐνωτίσασθε γνῶναι φρόνησιν Bar 3:9
¶“‘Hear, Israel, the commandments of life; listen, to understand wisdom.
- - - 10 Bar 3:10 10 τί ἐστιν Ισραηλ τί ὅτι ἐν γῇ τῶν ἐχθρῶν εἶ ἐπαλαιώθης ἐν γῇ ἀλλοτρίᾳ Bar 3:10
How has it happened, Israel, that you are in your enemies’ land, that you have grown old in a strange country, that you are defiled with the dead,
- - - 11 Bar 3:11 11 συνεμιάνθης τοῖς νεκροῖς προσελογίσθης μετὰ τῶν εἰς ᾅδου Bar 3:11
that you are counted with those who go down into the grave?
- - - 12 Bar 3:12 12 ἐγκατέλιπες τὴν πηγὴν τῆς σοφίας Bar 3:12
You have forsaken the fountain of wisdom.
- - - 13 Bar 3:13 13 τῇ ὁδῷ τοῦ θεοῦ εἰ ἐπορεύθης κατῴκεις ἂν ἐν εἰρήνῃ τὸν αἰῶνα Bar 3:13
For if you had walked in the way of God, you would have dwelled in peace for ever.
- - - 14 Bar 3:14 14 μάθε ποῦ ἐστιν φρόνησις ποῦ ἐστιν ἰσχύς ποῦ ἐστιν σύνεσις τοῦ γνῶναι ἅμα ποῦ ἐστιν μακροβίωσις καὶ ζωή ποῦ ἐστιν φῶς ὀφθαλμῶν καὶ εἰρήνη Bar 3:14
Learn, where is wisdom, where is strength, where is understanding, so that you may know also where is length of days and life, where is the light of the eyes and peace.
- - - 15 Bar 3:15 15 τίς εὗρεν τὸν τόπον αὐτῆς καὶ τίς εἰσῆλθεν εἰς τοὺς θησαυροὺς αὐτῆς Bar 3:15
Who has found out her place? Or who has come into her treasures?
- - - 16 Bar 3:16 16 ποῦ εἰσιν οἱ ἄρχοντες τῶν ἐθνῶν καὶ οἱ κυριεύοντες τῶν θηρίων τῶν ἐπὶ τῆς γῆς Bar 3:16
What has become of the princes of the heathen and such as ruled the beasts upon the earth,
- - - 17 Bar 3:17 17 οἱ ἐν τοῖς ὀρνέοις τοῦ οὐρανοῦ ἐμπαίζοντες καὶ τὸ ἀργύριον θησαυρίζοντες καὶ τὸ χρυσίον ᾧ ἐπεποίθεισαν ἄνθρωποι καὶ οὐκ ἔστιν τέλος τῆς κτήσεως αὐτῶν Bar 3:17
those who had their pastime with the fowls of the air and those who hoarded up silver and gold, wherein men trust, and made no end of their acquiring?
- - - 18 Bar 3:18 18 οἱ τὸ ἀργύριον τεκταίνοντες καὶ μεριμνῶντες καὶ οὐκ ἔστιν ἐξεύρεσις τῶν ἔργων αὐτῶν Bar 3:18
For those who wrought in silver, and who were so careful, and whose works are unsearchable,
- - - 19 Bar 3:19 19 ἠφανίσθησαν καὶ εἰς ᾅδου κατέβησαν καὶ ἄλλοι ἀντανέστησαν ἀντ’ αὐτῶν Bar 3:19
they have vanished and gone down to the grave, and others have come up in their places.
- - - 20 Bar 3:20 20 νεώτεροι εἶδον φῶς καὶ κατῴκησαν ἐπὶ τῆς γῆς ὁδὸν δὲ ἐπιστήμης οὐκ ἔγνωσαν Bar 3:20
Young men have seen light and dwelt upon the earth, but the way of knowledge they have not known,
- - - 21 Bar 3:21 21 οὐδὲ συνῆκαν τρίβους αὐτῆς οὐδὲ ἀντελάβοντο αὐτῆς οἱ υἱοὶ αὐτῶν ἀπὸ τῆς ὁδοῦ αὐτῶν πόρρω ἐγενήθησαν Bar 3:21
nor understood the paths of it, nor laid hold of it; their children were far off from that way.
- - - 22 Bar 3:22 22 οὐδὲ ἠκούσθη ἐν Χανααν οὐδὲ ὤφθη ἐν Θαιμαν Bar 3:22
It has not been heard of in Canaan, neither has it been seen in Teman.
- - - 23 Bar 3:23 23 οὔτε υἱοὶ Αγαρ οἱ ἐκζητοῦντες τὴν σύνεσιν ἐπὶ τῆς γῆς οἱ ἔμποροι τῆς Μερραν καὶ Θαιμαν οἱ μυθολόγοι καὶ οἱ ἐκζητηταὶ τῆς συνέσεως ὁδὸν τῆς σοφίας οὐκ ἔγνωσαν οὐδὲ ἐμνήσθησαν τὰς τρίβους αὐτῆς Bar 3:23
The Hagarenes, who seek wisdom on the earth, the merchants of Meran and Teman, the authors of fables and seekers of understanding; none of these have known the way of wisdom or remembered her paths.
- - - 24 Bar 3:24 24 ὦ Ισραηλ ὡς μέγας ὁ οἶκος τοῦ θεοῦ καὶ ἐπιμήκης ὁ τόπος τῆς κτήσεως αὐτοῦ Bar 3:24
O Israel, how great is the house of God? And how large is the place of his possession?
- - - 25 Bar 3:25 25 μέγας καὶ οὐκ ἔχει τελευτήν ὑψηλὸς καὶ ἀμέτρητος Bar 3:25
It is great and has no end! It is high and immeasurable!
- - - 26 Bar 3:26 26 ἐκεῖ ἐγεννήθησαν οἱ γίγαντες οἱ ὀνομαστοὶ οἱ ἀπ’ ἀρχῆς γενόμενοι εὐμεγέθεις ἐπιστάμενοι πόλεμον Bar 3:26
There were the giants, famous from the beginning, who were of such great stature and of such expertise in war.
- - - 27 Bar 3:27 27 οὐ τούτους ἐξελέξατο ὁ θεὸς οὐδὲ ὁδὸν ἐπιστήμης ἔδωκεν αὐτοῖς Bar 3:27
The Lord did not choose these, neither did he give them the way of knowledge,
- - - 28 Bar 3:28 28 καὶ ἀπώλοντο παρὰ τὸ μὴ ἔχειν φρόνησιν ἀπώλοντο διὰ τὴν ἀβουλίαν αὐτῶν Bar 3:28
but they were destroyed because they had no wisdom, and they perished through their own foolishness.
- - - 29 Bar 3:29 29 τίς ἀνέβη εἰς τὸν οὐρανὸν καὶ ἔλαβεν αὐτὴν καὶ κατεβίβασεν αὐτὴν ἐκ τῶν νεφελῶν Bar 3:29
Who has gone up into heaven, and obtained her, and brought her down from the clouds?
- - - 30 Bar 3:30 30 τίς διέβη πέραν τῆς θαλάσσης καὶ εὗρεν αὐτὴν καὶ οἴσει αὐτὴν χρυσίου ἐκλεκτοῦ Bar 3:30
Who has gone over the sea, and found her, and will bring her for pure gold?
- - - 31 Bar 3:31 31 οὐκ ἔστιν ὁ γινώσκων τὴν ὁδὸν αὐτῆς οὐδὲ ὁ ἐνθυμούμενος τὴν τρίβον αὐτῆς Bar 3:31
No man knows her way, nor understands her path.
- - - 32 Bar 3:32 32 ἀλλὰ ὁ εἰδὼς τὰ πάντα γινώσκει αὐτήν ἐξεῦρεν αὐτὴν τῇ συνέσει αὐτοῦ ὁ κατασκευάσας τὴν γῆν εἰς τὸν αἰῶνα χρόνον ἐνέπλησεν αὐτὴν κτηνῶν τετραπόδων Bar 3:32
But he who knows all things knows her and has found her with his understanding: he who prepared the earth forevermore, who has filled it with four-footed beasts,
- - - 33 Bar 3:33 33 ὁ ἀποστέλλων τὸ φῶς καὶ πορεύεται ἐκάλεσεν αὐτό καὶ ὑπήκουσεν αὐτῷ τρόμῳ Bar 3:33
he who sends forth light and it goes, who calls it again and it obeys him with fear.
- - - 34 Bar 3:34 34 οἱ δὲ ἀστέρες ἔλαμψαν ἐν ταῖς φυλακαῖς αὐτῶν καὶ εὐφράνθησαν Bar 3:34
The stars shine in their watches and rejoice. When he calls them, they say, “Here we are!” And so with cheerfulness they show light to him who made them.
- - - 35 35 35 ἐκάλεσεν αὐτοὺς καὶ εἶπον πάρεσμεν ἔλαμψαν μετ’ εὐφροσύνης τῷ ποιήσαντι αὐτούς 35 - - - 36 Bar 3:35 36 οὗτος ὁ θεὸς ἡμῶν οὐ λογισθήσεται ἕτερος πρὸς αὐτόν Bar 3:35
This is our God, and no other shall stand in comparison with him.
- - - 37 Bar 3:36 37 ἐξεῦρεν πᾶσαν ὁδὸν ἐπιστήμης καὶ ἔδωκεν αὐτὴν Ιακωβ τῷ παιδὶ αὐτοῦ καὶ Ισραηλ τῷ ἠγαπημένῳ ὑπ’ αὐτοῦ Bar 3:36
He has founded all the way of knowledge, and has given it to Jacob his servant and Israel his beloved.
- - - 38 Bar 3:37 38 μετὰ τοῦτο ἐπὶ τῆς γῆς ὤφθη καὶ ἐν τοῖς ἀνθρώποις συνανεστράφη Bar 3:37
Afterward, he revealed himself upon the earth, and conversed with men.
- - -
Match Diacritics KEYMAP Wildcard