CATSS LXX Wiki Latin Translation LXX / Vulgata Clementina Westminster Leningrad Codex Wiki Latin Translation HB / Vulgata Clementina 1 Jdt 1:1 1 ἔτους δωδεκάτου τῆς βασιλείας Ναβουχοδονοσορ ὃς ἐβασίλευσεν Ἀσσυρίων ἐν Νινευη τῇ πόλει τῇ μεγάλῃ ἐν ταῖς ἡμέραις Αρφαξαδ ὃς ἐβασίλευσεν Μήδων ἐν Ἐκβατάνοις Jdt 1:1
¶In the twelfth year of the reign of Nebuchadnezzar, who reigned in Nineveh, the great city, in the days of Arphaxad, who reigned over the Medes in Ecbatane
- - - 2 Jdt 1:2 2 καὶ ᾠκοδόμησεν ἐπ’ Ἐκβατάνων κύκλῳ τείχη ἐκ λίθων λελαξευμένων εἰς πλάτος πηχῶν τριῶν καὶ εἰς μῆκος πηχῶν ἓξ καὶ ἐποίησεν τὸ ὕψος τοῦ τείχους πηχῶν ἑβδομήκοντα καὶ τὸ πλάτος αὐτοῦ πηχῶν πεντήκοντα Jdt 1:2
and who built walls around Ecbatane out of stones hewn three cubits wide and six cubits long, and made the height of the wall seventy cubits and its width fifty cubits,
- - - 3 Jdt 1:3 3 καὶ τοὺς πύργους αὐτοῦ ἔστησεν ἐπὶ ταῖς πύλαις αὐτῆς πηχῶν ἑκατὸν καὶ τὸ πλάτος αὐτῆς ἐθεμελίωσεν εἰς πήχεις ἑξήκοντα Jdt 1:3
and set the towers of its gates a hundred cubits high and at the foundation sixty cubits wide,
- - - 4 Jdt 1:4 4 καὶ ἐποίησεν τὰς πύλας αὐτῆς πύλας διεγειρομένας εἰς ὕψος πηχῶν ἑβδομήκοντα καὶ τὸ πλάτος αὐτῆς πήχεις τεσσαράκοντα εἰς ἐξόδους δυνάμεως δυνατῶν αὐτοῦ καὶ διατάξεις τῶν πεζῶν αὐτοῦ Jdt 1:4
and made its gates so that they were raised to a height of seventy cubits and a width of forty cubits, for the going forth of his mighty armies and for the setting in array of his foot soldiers,
- - - 5 Jdt 1:5 5 καὶ ἐποίησεν πόλεμον ἐν ταῖς ἡμέραις ἐκείναις ὁ βασιλεὺς Ναβουχοδονοσορ πρὸς βασιλέα Αρφαξαδ ἐν τῷ πεδίῳ τῷ μεγάλῳ τοῦτό ἐστιν πεδίον ἐν τοῖς ὁρίοις Ραγαυ Jdt 1:5
in those very days, king Nebuchadnezzar made war with king Arphaxad on the great plain, which is the plain on the borders of Ragau.
- - - 6 Jdt 1:6 6 καὶ συνήντησαν πρὸς αὐτὸν πάντες οἱ κατοικοῦντες τὴν ὀρεινὴν καὶ πάντες οἱ κατοικοῦντες τὸν Εὐφράτην καὶ τὸν Τίγριν καὶ τὸν Ὑδάσπην καὶ πεδία Αριωχ βασιλέως Ἐλυμαίων καὶ συνῆλθον ἔθνη πολλὰ εἰς παράταξιν υἱῶν Χελεουδ Jdt 1:6
¶And all those who lived in the hill country came to him there; and all who lived by the Euphrates and the Tigris and the Hydaspes, and on the plain of Arioch the king of the Elymeans, and very many nations of the sons of Chelod assembled themselves for the battle.
- - - 7 Jdt 1:7 7 καὶ ἀπέστειλεν Ναβουχοδονοσορ βασιλεὺς Ἀσσυρίων ἐπὶ πάντας τοὺς κατοικοῦντας τὴν Περσίδα καὶ ἐπὶ πάντας τοὺς κατοικοῦντας πρὸς δυσμαῖς τοὺς κατοικοῦντας τὴν Κιλικίαν καὶ Δαμασκὸν καὶ τὸν Λίβανον καὶ Ἀντιλίβανον καὶ πάντας τοὺς κατοικοῦντας κατὰ πρόσωπον τῆς παραλίας Jdt 1:7
Then Nebuchadnezzar king of the Assyrians sent to all who lived in Persia, and to all who lived westward, and to those who lived in Cilicia and Damascus and Libanus and Antilibanus, and to all who lived upon the sea coast,
- - - 8 Jdt 1:8 8 καὶ τοὺς ἐν τοῖς ἔθνεσι τοῦ Καρμήλου καὶ Γαλααδ καὶ τὴν ἄνω Γαλιλαίαν καὶ τὸ μέγα πεδίον Εσδρηλων Jdt 1:8
and to those among the nations who were from Carmel and Galaad and the higher Galilee and the great plain of Esdrelom,
- - - 9 Jdt 1:9 9 καὶ πάντας τοὺς ἐν Σαμαρείᾳ καὶ ταῖς πόλεσιν αὐτῆς καὶ πέραν τοῦ Ιορδάνου ἕως Ιερουσαλημ καὶ Βατανη καὶ Χελους καὶ Καδης καὶ τοῦ ποταμοῦ Αἰγύπτου καὶ Ταφνας καὶ Ραμεσση καὶ πᾶσαν γῆν Γεσεμ Jdt 1:9
and to all who were in Samaria and its cities, and beyond the Jordan to Jerusalem and Bethany and Chelus and Kadesh, and the river of Egypt, and Taphnes and Ramesse, and all the land of Gesem,
- - - 10 Jdt 1:10 10 ἕως τοῦ ἐλθεῖν ἐπάνω Τάνεως καὶ Μέμφεως καὶ πάντας τοὺς κατοικοῦντας τὴν Αἴγυπτον ἕως τοῦ ἐλθεῖν ἐπὶ τὰ ὅρια τῆς Αἰθιοπίας Jdt 1:10
and even to beyond Tanis and Memphis, and to all the inhabitants of Egypt, all the way to borders of Ethiopia.
- - - 11 Jdt 1:11 11 καὶ ἐφαύλισαν πάντες οἱ κατοικοῦντες πᾶσαν τὴν γῆν τὸ ῥῆμα Ναβουχοδονοσορ βασιλέως Ἀσσυρίων καὶ οὐ συνῆλθον αὐτῷ εἰς τὸν πόλεμον ὅτι οὐκ ἐφοβήθησαν αὐτόν ἀλλ’ ἦν ἐναντίον αὐτῶν ὡς ἀνὴρ εἷς καὶ ἀνέστρεψαν τοὺς ἀγγέλους αὐτοῦ κενοὺς ἐν ἀτιμίᾳ προσώπου αὐτῶν Jdt 1:11
¶But all the inhabitants of the land made light of the commandment of Nebuchadnezzar king of the Assyrians; neither did they go into the battle with him, for they were not afraid of him. Yes, they considered him to be only one man; and they sent his ambassadors away from them with nothing to show except disgrace.
- - - 12 Jdt 1:12 12 καὶ ἐθυμώθη Ναβουχοδονοσορ ἐπὶ πᾶσαν τὴν γῆν ταύτην σφόδρα καὶ ὤμοσε κατὰ τοῦ θρόνου καὶ τῆς βασιλείας αὐτοῦ εἰ μὴν ἐκδικήσειν πάντα τὰ ὅρια τῆς Κιλικίας καὶ Δαμασκηνῆς καὶ Συρίας ἀνελεῖν τῇ ῥομφαίᾳ αὐτοῦ καὶ πάντας τοὺς κατοικοῦντας ἐν γῇ Μωαβ καὶ τοὺς υἱοὺς Αμμων καὶ πᾶσαν τὴν Ιουδαίαν καὶ πάντας τοὺς ἐν Αἰγύπτῳ ἕως τοῦ ἐλθεῖν ἐπὶ τὰ ὅρια τῶν δύο θαλασσῶν Jdt 1:12
Therefore Nebuchadnezzar was very angry with all this country; and he swore by his throne and kingdom that he would surely be avenged upon all those coasts of Cilicia and Damascus and Syria, and that he would slay with the sword all the inhabitants of the land of Moab, and the children of Ammon, and all Judea, and all who were in Egypt, up to the very borders of the two seas.
- - - 13 Jdt 1:13 13 καὶ παρετάξατο ἐν τῇ δυνάμει αὐτοῦ πρὸς Αρφαξαδ βασιλέα ἐν τῷ ἔτει τῷ ἑπτακαιδεκάτῳ καὶ ἐκραταιώθη ἐν τῷ πολέμῳ αὐτοῦ καὶ ἀνέστρεψεν πᾶσαν τὴν δύναμιν Αρφαξαδ καὶ πᾶσαν τὴν ἵππον αὐτοῦ καὶ πάντα τὰ ἅρματα αὐτοῦ Jdt 1:13
¶Then he marched in battle array with his power against king Arphaxad in the seventeenth year, and he prevailed in his battle, for he overthrew all the power of Arphaxad and all his horsemen and all his chariots,
- - - 14 Jdt 1:14 14 καὶ ἐκυρίευσε τῶν πόλεων αὐτοῦ καὶ ἀφίκετο ἕως Ἐκβατάνων καὶ ἐκράτησε τῶν πύργων καὶ ἐπρονόμευσε τὰς πλατείας αὐτῆς καὶ τὸν κόσμον αὐτῆς ἔθηκεν εἰς ὄνειδος αὐτῆς Jdt 1:14
and became lord of his cities. And he came to Ecbatane and took the towers and pillaged its streets and turned its beauty into shame.
- - - 15 Jdt 1:15 15 καὶ ἔλαβε τὸν Αρφαξαδ ἐν τοῖς ὄρεσι Ραγαυ καὶ κατηκόντισεν αὐτὸν ἐν ταῖς σιβύναις αὐτοῦ καὶ ἐξωλέθρευσεν αὐτὸν ἕως τῆς ἡμέρας ἐκείνης Jdt 1:15
He also overpowered Arphaxad at the mountains of Ragau and struck him through with his darts, and destroyed him utterly on that day.
- - - 16 Jdt 1:16 16 καὶ ἀνέστρεψεν μετ’ αὐτῶν αὐτὸς καὶ πᾶς ὁ σύμμικτος αὐτοῦ πλῆθος ἀνδρῶν πολεμιστῶν πολὺ σφόδρα καὶ ἦν ἐκεῖ ῥᾳθυμῶν καὶ εὐωχούμενος αὐτὸς καὶ ἡ δύναμις αὐτοῦ ἐφ’ ἡμέρας ἑκατὸν εἴκοσι Jdt 1:16
So he returned afterward to Nineveh, both he and all his company of diverse nations, who were a very great multitude of men of war; and there he took his ease and banqueted, both he and his army, for one hundred twenty days.
- - -
Match Diacritics KEYMAP Wildcard