CATSS LXX Wiki Latin Translation LXX / Vulgata Clementina Westminster Leningrad Codex Wiki Latin Translation HB / Vulgata Clementina 1 Jdt 11:1 1 καὶ εἶπεν πρὸς αὐτὴν Ολοφέρνης θάρσησον γύναι μὴ φοβηθῇς τῇ καρδίᾳ σου ὅτι ἐγὼ οὐκ ἐκάκωσα ἄνθρωπον ὅστις ᾑρέτικεν δουλεύειν βασιλεῖ Ναβουχοδονοσορ πάσης τῆς γῆς Jdt 11:1
¶Then Holofernes said to her, “Woman, be of good comfort; fear not in your heart. For I have never hurt any who were willing to serve Nebuchadnezzar, the king of all the earth.
- - - 2 Jdt 11:2 2 καὶ νῦν ὁ λαός σου ὁ κατοικῶν τὴν ὀρεινὴν εἰ μὴ ἐφαύλισάν με οὐκ ἂν ἦρα τὸ δόρυ μου ἐπ’ αὐτούς ἀλλὰ αὐτοὶ ἑαυτοῖς ἐποίησαν ταῦτα Jdt 11:2
Now therefore, if your people who dwell in the mountains had not treated me heedlessly, I would not have lifted up my spear against them, but they have done these things to themselves.
- - - 3 Jdt 11:3 3 καὶ νῦν λέγε μοι τίνος ἕνεκεν ἀπέδρας ἀπ’ αὐτῶν καὶ ἦλθες πρὸς ἡμᾶς ἥκεις γὰρ εἰς σωτηρίαν θάρσει ἐν τῇ νυκτὶ ταύτῃ ζήσῃ καὶ εἰς τὸ λοιπόν Jdt 11:3
But now tell me how you have fled from them and come to us; for you have reached safety, so be of good comfort; you will live this night and hereafter.
- - - 4 Jdt 11:4 4 οὐ γὰρ ἔστιν ὃς ἀδικήσει σε ἀλλ’ εὖ σε ποιήσει καθὰ γίνεται τοῖς δούλοις τοῦ κυρίου μου βασιλέως Ναβουχοδονοσορ Jdt 11:4
For none will hurt you, but they will treat you well, as they do the servants of king Nebuchadnezzar my lord.”
- - - 5 Jdt 11:5 5 καὶ εἶπεν πρὸς αὐτὸν Ιουδιθ δέξαι τὰ ῥήματα τῆς δούλης σου καὶ λαλησάτω ἡ παιδίσκη σου κατὰ πρόσωπόν σου καὶ οὐκ ἀναγγελῶ ψεῦδος τῷ κυρίῳ μου ἐν τῇ νυκτὶ ταύτῃ Jdt 11:5
¶Then Judith said to him, “Receive the words of your servant and permit your handmaid to speak in your presence, and I will declare no lie to my lord this night.
- - - 6 Jdt 11:6 6 καὶ ἐὰν κατακολουθήσῃς τοῖς λόγοις τῆς παιδίσκης σου τελείως πρᾶγμα ποιήσει μετὰ σοῦ ὁ θεός καὶ οὐκ ἀποπεσεῖται ὁ κύριός μου τῶν ἐπιτηδευμάτων αὐτοῦ Jdt 11:6
And if you will follow the words of your handmaid, God will bring something perfectly to pass by you, and my lord will not fail in his purposes.
- - - 7 Jdt 11:7 7 ζῇ γὰρ βασιλεὺς Ναβουχοδονοσορ πάσης τῆς γῆς καὶ ζῇ τὸ κράτος αὐτοῦ ὃς ἀπέστειλέν σε εἰς κατόρθωσιν πάσης ψυχῆς ὅτι οὐ μόνον ἄνθρωποι διὰ σὲ δουλεύουσιν αὐτῷ ἀλλὰ καὶ τὰ θηρία τοῦ ἀγροῦ καὶ τὰ κτήνη καὶ τὰ πετεινὰ τοῦ οὐρανοῦ διὰ τῆς ἰσχύος σου ζήσονται ἐπὶ Ναβουχοδονοσορ καὶ πάντα τὸν οἶκον αὐτοῦ Jdt 11:7
As Nebuchadnezzar king of all the earth lives, and as his power lives, he has sent you for the upholding of every living thing; for not only men will serve him by you, but also the beasts of the field, and the cattle and the birds of the air, will live by your power under Nebuchadnezzar and all his house.
- - - 8 Jdt 11:8 8 ἠκούσαμεν γὰρ τὴν σοφίαν σου καὶ τὰ πανουργεύματα τῆς ψυχῆς σου καὶ ἀνηγγέλη πάσῃ τῇ γῇ ὅτι σὺ μόνος ἀγαθὸς ἐν πάσῃ βασιλείᾳ καὶ δυνατὸς ἐν ἐπιστήμῃ καὶ θαυμαστὸς ἐν στρατεύμασιν πολέμου Jdt 11:8
For we have heard of your wisdom and your policies, and it is reported across all the earth, that you alone are excellent in all the kingdom, and mighty in knowledge, and wonderful in feats of war.
- - - 9 Jdt 11:9 9 καὶ νῦν ὁ λόγος ὃν ἐλάλησεν Αχιωρ ἐν τῇ συνεδρίᾳ σου ἠκούσαμεν τὰ ῥήματα αὐτοῦ ὅτι περιεποιήσαντο αὐτὸν οἱ ἄνδρες Βαιτυλουα καὶ ἀνήγγειλεν αὐτοῖς πάντα ὅσα ἐξελάλησεν παρὰ σοί Jdt 11:9
¶“Now as concerning the matter which Achior spoke about in your council, we have heard his words; for the men of Bethulia saved him, and he declared to them all that he had spoken to you.
- - - 10 Jdt 11:10 10 διό δέσποτα κύριε μὴ παρέλθῃς τὸν λόγον αὐτοῦ ἀλλὰ κατάθου αὐτὸν ἐν τῇ καρδίᾳ σου ὅτι ἐστὶν ἀληθής οὐ γὰρ ἐκδικᾶται τὸ γένος ἡμῶν οὐ κατισχύει ῥομφαία ἐπ’ αὐτούς ἐὰν μὴ ἁμάρτωσιν εἰς τὸν θεὸν αὐτῶν Jdt 11:10
Therefore, O lord and governor, respect not his word, but store it in your heart, for it is true; for our nation will not be punished, nor can sword prevail against them, unless they sin against their God.
- - - 11 Jdt 11:11 11 καὶ νῦν ἵνα μὴ γένηται ὁ κύριός μου ἔκβολος καὶ ἄπρακτος καὶ ἐπιπεσεῖται θάνατος ἐπὶ πρόσωπον αὐτῶν καὶ κατελάβετο αὐτοὺς ἁμάρτημα ἐν ᾧ παροργιοῦσιν τὸν θεὸν αὐτῶν ὁπηνίκα ἂν ποιήσωσιν ἀτοπίαν Jdt 11:11
And now, so that my lord will not be defeated and frustrated in his purpose, even death has now fallen upon them and their sin has overtaken them, and therefore they will provoke their God to anger whenever they do what is not right to be done.
- - - 12 Jdt 11:12 12 ἐπεὶ παρεξέλιπεν αὐτοὺς τὰ βρώματα καὶ ἐσπανίσθη πᾶν ὕδωρ ἐβουλεύσαντο ἐπιβαλεῖν τοῖς κτήνεσιν αὐτῶν καὶ πάντα ὅσα διεστείλατο αὐτοῖς ὁ θεὸς τοῖς νόμοις αὐτοῦ μὴ φαγεῖν διέγνωσαν δαπανῆσαι Jdt 11:12
For their food stores fail them and their water supply is scant, and they have decided to lay hands on their cattle, and have resolved to consume all those things which God has forbidden them to eat by his laws.
- - - 13 Jdt 11:13 13 καὶ τὰς ἀπαρχὰς τοῦ σίτου καὶ τὰς δεκάτας τοῦ οἴνου καὶ τοῦ ἐλαίου ἃ διεφύλαξαν ἁγιάσαντες τοῖς ἱερεῦσιν τοῖς παρεστηκόσιν ἐν Ιερουσαλημ ἀπέναντι τοῦ προσώπου τοῦ θεοῦ ἡμῶν κεκρίκασιν ἐξαναλῶσαι ὧν οὐδὲ ταῖς χερσὶν καθῆκεν ἅψασθαι οὐδένα τῶν ἐκ τοῦ λαοῦ Jdt 11:13
And they are resolved to use up the first fruits and the tenths of wine and oil, which they had sanctified and which are reserved for the priests who serve in Jerusalem before the face of our God, the things it is not lawful for any of the people so much as to touch with their hands.
- - - 14 Jdt 11:14 14 καὶ ἀπεστάλκασιν εἰς Ιερουσαλημ ὅτι καὶ οἱ ἐκεῖ κατοικοῦντες ἐποίησαν ταῦτα τοὺς μετακομίσοντας αὐτοῖς τὴν ἄφεσιν παρὰ τῆς γερουσίας Jdt 11:14
For they have sent an envoy to Jerusalem, because those who dwell there have also done the same, to bring them a license from the senate.
- - - 15 Jdt 11:15 15 καὶ ἔσται ὡς ἂν ἀναγγείλῃ αὐτοῖς καὶ ποιήσωσιν δοθήσονταί σοι εἰς ὄλεθρον ἐν τῇ ἡμέρᾳ ἐκείνῃ Jdt 11:15
Now when they bring them word, they will immediately do it, and they will be given to you to be destroyed the same day.
- - - 16 Jdt 11:16 16 ὅθεν ἐγὼ ἡ δούλη σου ἐπιγνοῦσα ταῦτα πάντα ἀπέδρων ἀπὸ προσώπου αὐτῶν καὶ ἀπέστειλέν με ὁ θεὸς ποιῆσαι μετὰ σοῦ πράγματα ἐφ’ οἷς ἐκστήσεται πᾶσα ἡ γῆ ὅσοι ἐὰν ἀκούσωσιν αὐτά Jdt 11:16
¶“Therefore I, your handmaid, knowing all this, have fled from their presence; and God has sent me to work things with you, things at which all the earth will be astonished, whosoever hears it.
- - - 17 Jdt 11:17 17 ὅτι ἡ δούλη σου θεοσεβής ἐστιν καὶ θεραπεύουσα νυκτὸς καὶ ἡμέρας τὸν θεὸν τοῦ οὐρανοῦ καὶ νῦν μενῶ παρὰ σοί κύριέ μου καὶ ἐξελεύσεται ἡ δούλη σου κατὰ νύκτα εἰς τὴν φάραγγα καὶ προσεύξομαι πρὸς τὸν θεόν καὶ ἐρεῖ μοι πότε ἐποίησαν τὰ ἁμαρτήματα αὐτῶν Jdt 11:17
For your servant is religious and serves the God of heaven day and night. Therefore, my lord, I will remain with you now, and your servant will go out by night into the valley, and I will pray to God, and he will tell me when they have committed their sins.
- - - 18 Jdt 11:18 18 καὶ ἐλθοῦσα προσανοίσω σοι καὶ ἐξελεύσῃ σὺν πάσῃ τῇ δυνάμει σου καὶ οὐκ ἔστιν ὃς ἀντιστήσεταί σοι ἐξ αὐτῶν Jdt 11:18
And I will return and reveal it to you. Then you will go forth with all your army, and there will be none among them who will withstand you.
- - - 19 Jdt 11:19 19 καὶ ἄξω σε διὰ μέσου τῆς Ιουδαίας ἕως τοῦ ἐλθεῖν ἀπέναντι Ιερουσαλημ καὶ θήσω τὸν δίφρον σου ἐν μέσῳ αὐτῆς καὶ ἄξεις αὐτοὺς ὡς πρόβατα οἷς οὐκ ἔστιν ποιμήν καὶ οὐ γρύξει κύων τῇ γλώσσῃ αὐτοῦ ἀπέναντί σου ὅτι ταῦτα ἐλαλήθη μοι κατὰ πρόγνωσίν μου καὶ ἀπηγγέλη μοι καὶ ἀπεστάλην ἀναγγεῖλαί σοι Jdt 11:19
And I will lead you through the midst of Judea, until you come against Jerusalem, and I will set your throne in the midst thereof; and you will drive them as sheep which have no shepherd, and a dog will not so much as open his mouth at you; for these things were told to me according to my foreknowledge, and they were declared to me, and I am sent to tell you.”
- - - 20 Jdt 11:20 20 καὶ ἤρεσαν οἱ λόγοι αὐτῆς ἐναντίον Ολοφέρνου καὶ ἐναντίον πάντων τῶν θεραπόντων αὐτοῦ καὶ ἐθαύμασαν ἐπὶ τῇ σοφίᾳ αὐτῆς καὶ εἶπαν Jdt 11:20
¶Then her words pleased Holofernes and all his servants; and they marveled at her wisdom and said,
- - - 21 Jdt 11:21 21 οὐκ ἔστιν τοιαύτη γυνὴ ἀπ’ ἄκρου ἕως ἄκρου τῆς γῆς ἐν καλῷ προσώπῳ καὶ συνέσει λόγων Jdt 11:21
“There is no other such woman from one end of the earth to the other, both for beauty of face and wisdom of words.”
- - - 22 Jdt 11:22 22 καὶ εἶπεν πρὸς αὐτὴν Ολοφέρνης εὖ ἐποίησεν ὁ θεὸς ἀποστείλας σε ἔμπροσθεν τοῦ λαοῦ τοῦ γενηθῆναι ἐν χερσὶν ἡμῶν κράτος ἐν δὲ τοῖς φαυλίσασι τὸν κύριόν μου ἀπώλειαν Jdt 11:22
Likewise Holofernes said to her, “God has done well to send you before the sons of your people, so that strength might be in our hands and destruction be on those who regard my lord lightly.
- - - 23 Jdt 11:23 23 καὶ νῦν ἀστεία εἶ σὺ ἐν τῷ εἴδει σου καὶ ἀγαθὴ ἐν τοῖς λόγοις σου ὅτι ἐὰν ποιήσῃς καθὰ ἐλάλησας ὁ θεός σου ἔσται μου θεός καὶ σὺ ἐν οἴκῳ βασιλέως Ναβουχοδονοσορ καθήσῃ καὶ ἔσῃ ὀνομαστὴ παρὰ πᾶσαν τὴν γῆν Jdt 11:23
And now you are both beautiful in your countenance and clever in your words; surely if you do as you have spoken, your God will be my God, and you will dwell in the house of king Nebuchadnezzar and will be renowned throughout the whole earth.”
- - -
Match Diacritics KEYMAP Wildcard