CATSS LXX Wiki Latin Translation LXX / Vulgata Clementina Westminster Leningrad Codex Wiki Latin Translation HB / Vulgata Clementina 1 Jdt 12:1 1 καὶ ἐκέλευσεν εἰσαγαγεῖν αὐτὴν οὗ ἐτίθετο τὰ ἀργυρώματα αὐτοῦ καὶ συνέταξεν καταστρῶσαι αὐτῇ ἀπὸ τῶν ὀψοποιημάτων αὐτοῦ καὶ τοῦ οἴνου αὐτοῦ πίνειν Jdt 12:1
¶Then he commanded them to bring her in to where his plate was set; and he directed them to prepare for her from his own meats and that she should drink from his own wine.
- - - 2 Jdt 12:2 2 καὶ εἶπεν Ιουδιθ οὐ φάγομαι ἐξ αὐτῶν ἵνα μὴ γένηται σκάνδαλον ἀλλ’ ἐκ τῶν ἠκολουθηκότων μοι χορηγηθήσεται Jdt 12:2
And Judith said, “I will not eat of it, lest there be an offence, but provision will be made for me from the things which I have brought.”
- - - 3 Jdt 12:3 3 καὶ εἶπεν πρὸς αὐτὴν Ολοφέρνης ἐὰν δὲ ἐκλίπῃ τὰ ὄντα μετὰ σοῦ πόθεν ἐξοίσομέν σοι δοῦναι ὅμοια αὐτοῖς οὐ γάρ ἐστιν μεθ’ ἡμῶν ἐκ τοῦ γένους σου Jdt 12:3
Then Holofernes said to her, “If your provisions should fail, how should we give you the like? For there are none among us from your nation.”
- - - 4 Jdt 12:4 4 καὶ εἶπεν Ιουδιθ πρὸς αὐτόν ζῇ ἡ ψυχή σου κύριέ μου ὅτι οὐ δαπανήσει ἡ δούλη σου τὰ ὄντα μετ’ ἐμοῦ ἕως ἂν ποιήσῃ κύριος ἐν χειρί μου ἃ ἐβουλεύσατο Jdt 12:4
Then Judith said to him, “As your soul lives, my lord, your handmaid will not use up those things which I have before the Lord works by my hand the things he has determined.”
- - - 5 Jdt 12:5 5 καὶ ἠγάγοσαν αὐτὴν οἱ θεράποντες Ολοφέρνου εἰς τὴν σκηνήν καὶ ὕπνωσεν μέχρι μεσούσης τῆς νυκτός καὶ ἀνέστη πρὸς τὴν ἑωθινὴν φυλακήν Jdt 12:5
¶Then the servants of Holofernes brought her into the tent, and she slept until midnight, and she arose when it was toward the morning watch.
- - - 6 Jdt 12:6 6 καὶ ἀπέστειλεν πρὸς Ολοφέρνην λέγουσα ἐπιταξάτω δὴ ὁ κύριός μου ἐᾶσαι τὴν δούλην σου ἐπὶ προσευχὴν ἐξελθεῖν Jdt 12:6
And she sent to Holofernes, saying, “Let my lord now command that your handmaid may go forth to prayer.”
- - - 7 Jdt 12:7 7 καὶ προσέταξεν Ολοφέρνης τοῖς σωματοφύλαξιν μὴ διακωλύειν αὐτήν καὶ παρέμεινεν ἐν τῇ παρεμβολῇ ἡμέρας τρεῖς καὶ ἐξεπορεύετο κατὰ νύκτα εἰς τὴν φάραγγα Βαιτυλουα καὶ ἐβαπτίζετο ἐν τῇ παρεμβολῇ ἐπὶ τῆς πηγῆς τοῦ ὕδατος Jdt 12:7
Then Holofernes commanded his guard not to prevent her; thus she resided in the camp for three days, and went out in the night into the valley of Bethulia and washed herself in a spring of water by the camp.
- - - 8 Jdt 12:8 8 καὶ ὡς ἀνέβη ἐδέετο τοῦ κυρίου θεοῦ Ισραηλ κατευθῦναι τὴν ὁδὸν αὐτῆς εἰς ἀνάστημα τῶν υἱῶν τοῦ λαοῦ αὐτοῦ Jdt 12:8
And when she came out, she beseeched the Lord God of Israel to direct her way in order to accomplish the raising up of the children of her people.
- - - 9 Jdt 12:9 9 καὶ εἰσπορευομένη καθαρὰ παρέμενεν ἐν τῇ σκηνῇ μέχρι οὗ προσηνέγκατο τὴν τροφὴν αὐτῆς πρὸς ἑσπέραν Jdt 12:9
So she came in clean and remained in the tent until she ate her meat in the evening.
- - - 10 Jdt 12:10 10 καὶ ἐγένετο ἐν τῇ ἡμέρᾳ τῇ τετάρτῃ ἐποίησεν Ολοφέρνης πότον τοῖς δούλοις αὐτοῦ μόνοις καὶ οὐκ ἐκάλεσεν εἰς τὴν κλῆσιν οὐδένα τῶν πρὸς ταῖς χρείαις Jdt 12:10
¶And on the fourth day, Holofernes made a feast for his own servants only, and he called none of the officers to the banquet.
- - - 11 Jdt 12:11 11 καὶ εἶπεν Βαγώᾳ τῷ εὐνούχῳ ὃς ἦν ἐφεστηκὼς ἐπὶ πάντων τῶν αὐτοῦ πεῖσον δὴ πορευθεὶς τὴν γυναῖκα τὴν Εβραίαν ἥ ἐστιν παρὰ σοί τοῦ ἐλθεῖν πρὸς ἡμᾶς καὶ φαγεῖν καὶ πιεῖν μεθ’ ἡμῶν Jdt 12:11
Then he said to Bagoas the eunuch, who was in charge of all that he had, “Go now and persuade this Hebrew woman who is with you that she should come to us, and eat and drink with us.
- - - 12 Jdt 12:12 12 ἰδοὺ γὰρ αἰσχρὸν τῷ προσώπῳ ἡμῶν εἰ γυναῖκα τοιαύτην παρήσομεν οὐχ ὁμιλήσαντες αὐτῇ ὅτι ἐὰν ταύτην μὴ ἐπισπασώμεθα καταγελάσεται ἡμῶν Jdt 12:12
For, see, it will be a shame upon our person, if we let such a woman go without having had her company; for if we do not draw her to us, she will laugh at us in scorn.”
- - - 13 Jdt 12:13 13 καὶ ἐξῆλθεν Βαγώας ἀπὸ προσώπου Ολοφέρνου καὶ εἰσῆλθεν πρὸς αὐτὴν καὶ εἶπεν μὴ ὀκνησάτω δὴ ἡ παιδίσκη ἡ καλὴ αὕτη ἐλθοῦσα πρὸς τὸν κύριόν μου δοξασθῆναι κατὰ πρόσωπον αὐτοῦ καὶ πίεσαι μεθ’ ἡμῶν εἰς εὐφροσύνην οἶνον καὶ γενηθῆναι ἐν τῇ ἡμέρᾳ ταύτῃ ὡς θυγάτηρ μία τῶν υἱῶν Ασσουρ αἳ παρεστήκασιν ἐν οἴκῳ Ναβουχοδονοσορ Jdt 12:13
Then Bagoas went from the presence of Holofernes, and he came to her and said, “Let not this fair gentlewoman fear to approach my lord and to be honored in his presence, and to drink wine and be merry with us, and to become this day like one of the daughters of the Assyrians, who serve in the house of Nebuchadnezzar.”
- - - 14 Jdt 12:14 14 καὶ εἶπεν πρὸς αὐτὸν Ιουδιθ καὶ τίς εἰμι ἐγὼ ἀντεροῦσα τῷ κυρίῳ μου ὅτι πᾶν ὃ ἔσται ἐν τοῖς ὀφθαλμοῖς αὐτοῦ ἀρεστόν σπεύσασα ποιήσω καὶ ἔσται τοῦτό μοι ἀγαλλίαμα ἕως ἡμέρας θανάτου μου Jdt 12:14
Then Judith said to him, “Who am I now, that I should contradict my lord? Surely whatever pleases him I will do without hesitation, and it will be my joy until the day of my death.”
- - - 15 Jdt 12:15 15 καὶ διαναστᾶσα ἐκοσμήθη τῷ ἱματισμῷ καὶ παντὶ τῷ κόσμῳ τῷ γυναικείῳ καὶ προσῆλθεν ἡ δούλη αὐτῆς καὶ ἔστρωσεν αὐτῇ κατέναντι Ολοφέρνου χαμαὶ τὰ κώδια ἃ ἔλαβεν παρὰ Βαγώου εἰς τὴν καθημερινὴν δίαιταν αὐτῆς εἰς τὸ ἐσθίειν κατακλινομένην ἐπ’ αὐτῶν Jdt 12:15
¶So she arose, and she decked herself out with her apparel and all her woman’s attire. And her maid went and laid soft skins on the ground for her opposite Holofernes, which she had received from Bagoas for her daily use, so that she might sit and eat upon them.
- - - 16 Jdt 12:16 16 καὶ εἰσελθοῦσα ἀνέπεσεν Ιουδιθ καὶ ἐξέστη ἡ καρδία Ολοφέρνου ἐπ’ αὐτήν καὶ ἐσαλεύθη ἡ ψυχὴ αὐτοῦ καὶ ἦν κατεπίθυμος σφόδρα τοῦ συγγενέσθαι μετ’ αὐτῆς καὶ ἐτήρει καιρὸν τοῦ ἀπατῆσαι αὐτὴν ἀφ’ ἧς ἡμέρας εἶδεν αὐτήν Jdt 12:16
Now when Judith came in and sat down with Holofernes, his heart was inflamed with her, and his mind was stirred up, and he greatly desired her company; for he had been waiting for sometime to deceive her, even from the day that he had first seen her.
- - - 17 Jdt 12:17 17 καὶ εἶπεν πρὸς αὐτὴν Ολοφέρνης πίε δὴ καὶ γενήθητι μεθ’ ἡμῶν εἰς εὐφροσύνην Jdt 12:17
Then Holofernes said to her, “Drink now and be merry with us.”
- - - 18 Jdt 12:18 18 καὶ εἶπεν Ιουδιθ πίομαι δή κύριε ὅτι ἐμεγαλύνθη τὸ ζῆν μου ἐν ἐμοὶ σήμερον παρὰ πάσας τὰς ἡμέρας τῆς γενέσεώς μου Jdt 12:18
So Judith said, “I will drink now, my lord, because my life is exalted in me this day more than all the days since I was born.”
- - - 19 Jdt 12:19 19 καὶ λαβοῦσα ἔφαγεν καὶ ἔπιεν κατέναντι αὐτοῦ ἃ ἡτοίμασεν ἡ δούλη αὐτῆς Jdt 12:19
Then she took and ate and drank before him the things which her maid had prepared.
- - - 20 Jdt 12:20 20 καὶ ηὐφράνθη Ολοφέρνης ἀπ’ αὐτῆς καὶ ἔπιεν οἶνον πολὺν σφόδρα ὅσον οὐκ ἔπιεν πώποτε ἐν ἡμέρᾳ μιᾷ ἀφ’ οὗ ἐγεννήθη Jdt 12:20
And Holofernes took great delight in her, and he drank more wine than he had drunk at any time in one day since he was born.
- - -
Match Diacritics KEYMAP Wildcard