CATSS LXX Wiki Latin Translation LXX / Vulgata Clementina Westminster Leningrad Codex Wiki Latin Translation HB / Vulgata Clementina 1 Jdt 14:1 1 καὶ εἶπεν πρὸς αὐτοὺς Ιουδιθ ἀκούσατε δή μου ἀδελφοί καὶ λαβόντες τὴν κεφαλὴν ταύτην κρεμάσατε αὐτὴν ἐπὶ τῆς ἐπάλξεως τοῦ τείχους ὑμῶν Jdt 14:1
¶Then Judith said to them, “Hear me now, my brethren! Take this head and hang it on the highest place of your walls!
- - - 2 Jdt 14:2 2 καὶ ἔσται ἡνίκα ἐὰν διαφαύσῃ ὁ ὄρθρος καὶ ἐξέλθῃ ὁ ἥλιος ἐπὶ τὴν γῆν ἀναλήμψεσθε ἕκαστος τὰ σκεύη τὰ πολεμικὰ ὑμῶν καὶ ἐξελεύσεσθε πᾶς ἀνὴρ ἰσχύων ἔξω τῆς πόλεως καὶ δώσετε ἀρχηγὸν εἰς αὐτοὺς ὡς καταβαίνοντες ἐπὶ τὸ πεδίον εἰς τὴν προφυλακὴν υἱῶν Ασσουρ καὶ οὐ καταβήσεσθε Jdt 14:2
And so, as soon as morning appears and the sun shines upon the earth, everyone must take his weapons and go forth, every valiant man out of the city, and with a captain set over them, as though you were going down into the field toward the watch of the Assyrians; but do not go down.
- - - 3 Jdt 14:3 3 καὶ ἀναλαβόντες οὗτοι τὰς πανοπλίας αὐτῶν πορεύσονται εἰς τὴν παρεμβολὴν αὐτῶν καὶ ἐγεροῦσι τοὺς στρατηγοὺς τῆς δυνάμεως Ασσουρ καὶ συνδραμοῦνται ἐπὶ τὴν σκηνὴν Ολοφέρνου καὶ οὐχ εὑρήσουσιν αὐτόν καὶ ἐπιπεσεῖται ἐπ’ αὐτοὺς φόβος καὶ φεύξονται ἀπὸ προσώπου ὑμῶν Jdt 14:3
Then they will take their amour and go into their camp and call for the captains of the army of Assur; and they will run to the tent of Holofernes, but will not find him; then fear will fall upon them, and they will flee before your face.
- - - 4 Jdt 14:4 4 καὶ ἐπακολουθήσαντες ὑμεῖς καὶ πάντες οἱ κατοικοῦντες πᾶν ὅριον Ισραηλ καταστρώσατε αὐτοὺς ἐν ταῖς ὁδοῖς αὐτῶν Jdt 14:4
So then you, and all who inhabit the coast of Israel, will pursue them and overthrow them as they go.
- - - 5 Jdt 14:5 5 πρὸ δὲ τοῦ ποιῆσαι ταῦτα καλέσατέ μοι Αχιωρ τὸν Αμμανίτην ἵνα ἰδὼν ἐπιγνοῖ τὸν ἐκφαυλίσαντα τὸν οἶκον τοῦ Ισραηλ καὶ αὐτὸν ὡς εἰς θάνατον ἀποστείλαντα εἰς ἡμᾶς Jdt 14:5
But before you do these things, call Achior the Ammonite to me, so that he may see and know him who despised the house of Israel and who sent him to us as if to his death.”
- - - 6 Jdt 14:6 6 καὶ ἐκάλεσαν τὸν Αχιωρ ἐκ τοῦ οἴκου Οζια ὡς δὲ ἦλθεν καὶ εἶδεν τὴν κεφαλὴν Ολοφέρνου ἐν χειρὶ ἀνδρὸς ἑνὸς ἐν τῇ ἐκκλησίᾳ τοῦ λαοῦ ἔπεσεν ἐπὶ πρόσωπον καὶ ἐξελύθη τὸ πνεῦμα αὐτοῦ Jdt 14:6
¶Then they called Achior out of the house of Uzziah; and when he arrived and saw the head of Holofernes in a man’s hand in the assembly of the people, he fell down on his face and fainted.
- - - 7 Jdt 14:7 7 ὡς δὲ ἀνέλαβον αὐτόν προσέπεσεν τοῖς ποσὶν Ιουδιθ καὶ προσεκύνησεν τῷ προσώπῳ αὐτῆς καὶ εἶπεν εὐλογημένη σὺ ἐν παντὶ σκηνώματι Ιουδα καὶ ἐν παντὶ ἔθνει οἵτινες ἀκούσαντες τὸ ὄνομά σου ταραχθήσονται Jdt 14:7
But when they had revived him, he fell at Judith’s feet and reverenced her and said, “Blessed are you in all the tents of Judah and in all nations, who when they hear your name will be astonished.
- - - 8 Jdt 14:8 8 καὶ νῦν ἀνάγγειλόν μοι ὅσα ἐποίησας ἐν ταῖς ἡμέραις ταύταις καὶ ἀπήγγειλεν αὐτῷ Ιουδιθ ἐν μέσῳ τοῦ λαοῦ πάντα ὅσα ἦν πεποιηκυῖα ἀφ’ ἧς ἡμέρας ἐξῆλθεν ἕως οὗ ἐλάλει αὐτοῖς Jdt 14:8
Now therefore tell me all the things which you have done in these days.” Then Judith declared to him in the midst of the people all that she had done, from the day that she went forth until that hour when she spoke to them.
- - - 9 Jdt 14:9 9 ὡς δὲ ἐπαύσατο λαλοῦσα ἠλάλαξεν ὁ λαὸς φωνῇ μεγάλῃ καὶ ἔδωκεν φωνὴν εὐφρόσυνον ἐν τῇ πόλει αὐτῶν Jdt 14:9
And when she had finished speaking, the people shouted with a loud voice and made a joyful noise in their city.
- - - 10 Jdt 14:10 10 ἰδὼν δὲ Αχιωρ πάντα ὅσα ἐποίησεν ὁ θεὸς τοῦ Ισραηλ ἐπίστευσεν τῷ θεῷ σφόδρα καὶ περιετέμετο τὴν σάρκα τῆς ἀκροβυστίας αὐτοῦ καὶ προσετέθη εἰς τὸν οἶκον Ισραηλ ἕως τῆς ἡμέρας ταύτης Jdt 14:10
And when Achior had seen all that the God of Israel had done, he believed in God greatly; and he circumcised the flesh of his foreskin and was joined to the house of Israel unto this day.
- - - 11 Jdt 14:11 11 ἡνίκα δὲ ὁ ὄρθρος ἀνέβη καὶ ἐκρέμασαν τὴν κεφαλὴν Ολοφέρνου ἐκ τοῦ τείχους καὶ ἀνέλαβεν πᾶς ἀνὴρ τὰ ὅπλα αὐτοῦ καὶ ἐξήλθοσαν κατὰ σπείρας ἐπὶ τὰς ἀναβάσεις τοῦ ὄρους Jdt 14:11
¶And as soon as morning arose, they hung the head of Holofernes on the wall, and every man took his weapons, and they went forth by bands to the straits of the mountain.
- - - 12 Jdt 14:12 12 οἱ δὲ υἱοὶ Ασσουρ ὡς εἶδον αὐτούς διέπεμψαν ἐπὶ τοὺς ἡγουμένους αὐτῶν οἱ δὲ ἦλθον ἐπὶ τοὺς στρατηγοὺς καὶ χιλιάρχους καὶ ἐπὶ πάντα ἄρχοντα αὐτῶν Jdt 14:12
But when the Assyrians saw them, they sent word to their leaders, who went to their captains and tribunes, and to every one of their rulers.
- - - 13 Jdt 14:13 13 καὶ παρεγένοντο ἐπὶ τὴν σκηνὴν Ολοφέρνου καὶ εἶπαν τῷ ὄντι ἐπὶ πάντων τῶν αὐτοῦ ἔγειρον δὴ τὸν κύριον ἡμῶν ὅτι ἐτόλμησαν οἱ δοῦλοι καταβαίνειν ἐφ’ ἡμᾶς εἰς πόλεμον ἵνα ἐξολεθρευθῶσιν εἰς τέλος Jdt 14:13
So they came to Holofernes’ tent, and said to him who had the charge of all his things, “Awaken our lord now, for the slaves have been so bold as to come down against us in battle, so that they may be utterly destroyed.”
- - - 14 Jdt 14:14 14 καὶ εἰσῆλθεν Βαγώας καὶ ἔκρουσε τὴν αὐλαίαν τῆς σκηνῆς ὑπενόει γὰρ καθεύδειν αὐτὸν μετὰ Ιουδιθ Jdt 14:14
¶Then Bagoas went in and knocked at the door of the tent; for he thought that he had slept with Judith.
- - - 15 Jdt 14:15 15 ὡς δ’ οὐθεὶς ἐπήκουσεν διαστείλας εἰσῆλθεν εἰς τὸν κοιτῶνα καὶ εὗρεν αὐτὸν ἐπὶ τῆς χελωνίδος ἐρριμμένον νεκρόν καὶ ἡ κεφαλὴ αὐτοῦ ἀφῄρητο ἀπ’ αὐτοῦ Jdt 14:15 But, because no one answered, he opened it and went into the bedroom; and
he found him cast sprawled out
up [[a]] on the floor dead, and his head had been taken from him.
- - - 16 Jdt 14:16 16 καὶ ἐβόησεν φωνῇ μεγάλῃ μετὰ κλαυθμοῦ καὶ στεναγμοῦ καὶ βοῆς ἰσχυρᾶς καὶ διέρρηξεν τὰ ἱμάτια αὐτοῦ Jdt 14:16
Therefore he cried with a loud voice, with weeping and sighing and a mighty cry, and he tore his garments.
- - - 17 Jdt 14:17 17 καὶ εἰσῆλθεν εἰς τὴν σκηνήν οὗ ἦν Ιουδιθ καταλύουσα καὶ οὐχ εὗρεν αὐτήν καὶ ἐξεπήδησεν εἰς τὸν λαὸν καὶ ἐβόησεν Jdt 14:17
After this, he went into the tent where Judith lodged, and when he did not find her, he dashed out to the people and cried,
- - - 18 Jdt 14:18 18 ἠθέτησαν οἱ δοῦλοι ἐποίησεν αἰσχύνην μία γυνὴ τῶν Εβραίων εἰς τὸν οἶκον τοῦ βασιλέως Ναβουχοδονοσορ ὅτι ἰδοὺ Ολοφέρνης χαμαί καὶ ἡ κεφαλὴ οὐκ ἔστιν ἐπ’ αὐτῷ Jdt 14:18
“These slaves have dealt treacherously; one woman of the Hebrews has brought shame on the house of king Nebuchadnezzar; for, behold, Holofernes lies on the ground without a head!”
- - - 19 Jdt 14:19 19 ὡς δὲ ἤκουσαν ταῦτα τὰ ῥήματα οἱ ἄρχοντες τῆς δυνάμεως Ασσουρ τοὺς χιτῶνας αὐτῶν διέρρηξαν καὶ ἐταράχθη αὐτῶν ἡ ψυχὴ σφόδρα καὶ ἐγένετο αὐτῶν κραυγὴ καὶ βοὴ μεγάλη σφόδρα ἐν μέσῳ τῆς παρεμβολῆς Jdt 14:19
When the captains of the Assyrians’ army heard these words, they tore their coats, and their minds were exceptionally troubled; and there was a cry and a very great noise throughout the camp.
- - -
Match Diacritics KEYMAP Wildcard