CATSS LXX Wiki Latin Translation LXX / Vulgata Clementina Westminster Leningrad Codex Wiki Latin Translation HB / Vulgata Clementina 1 Jdt 2:1 1 καὶ ἐν τῷ ἔτει τῷ ὀκτωκαιδεκάτῳ δευτέρᾳ καὶ εἰκάδι τοῦ πρώτου μηνὸς ἐγένετο λόγος ἐν οἴκῳ Ναβουχοδονοσορ βασιλέως Ἀσσυρίων ἐκδικῆσαι πᾶσαν τὴν γῆν καθὼς ἐλάλησεν Jdt 2:1
¶And in the eighteenth year, on the twenty-second day of the first month, there was talk in the house of Nebuchadnezzar king of the Assyrians that he should, as he had said, avenge himself upon all the earth.
- - - 2 Jdt 2:2 2 καὶ συνεκάλεσεν πάντας τοὺς θεράποντας αὐτοῦ καὶ πάντας τοὺς μεγιστᾶνας αὐτοῦ καὶ ἔθετο μετ’ αὐτῶν τὸ μυστήριον τῆς βουλῆς αὐτοῦ καὶ συνετέλεσεν πᾶσαν τὴν κακίαν τῆς γῆς ἐκ τοῦ στόματος αὐτοῦ Jdt 2:2
So he called all his officers to him, and all his nobles, and discussed with them his secret plan, and, with his own mouth, he ensured the scourging of the whole earth.
- - - 3 Jdt 2:3 3 καὶ αὐτοὶ ἔκριναν ὀλεθρεῦσαι πᾶσαν σάρκα οἳ οὐκ ἠκολούθησαν τῷ λόγῳ τοῦ στόματος αὐτοῦ Jdt 2:3
Then they decreed the destruction of all flesh, of all who did not obey the commandment of his mouth.
- - - 4 Jdt 2:4 4 καὶ ἐγένετο ὡς συνετέλεσεν τὴν βουλὴν αὐτοῦ ἐκάλεσεν Ναβουχοδονοσορ βασιλεὺς Ἀσσυρίων τὸν Ολοφέρνην ἀρχιστράτηγον τῆς δυνάμεως αὐτοῦ δεύτερον ὄντα μετ’ αὐτὸν καὶ εἶπεν πρὸς αὐτόν Jdt 2:4
¶And when he had ended his counsel, Nebuchadnezzar king of the Assyrians called Holofernes the chief captain of his army, who was next to him, and said to him:
- - - 5 Jdt 2:5 5 τάδε λέγει ὁ βασιλεὺς ὁ μέγας ὁ κύριος πάσης τῆς γῆς ἰδοὺ σὺ ἐξελεύσῃ ἐκ τοῦ προσώπου μου καὶ λήμψῃ μετὰ σεαυτοῦ ἄνδρας πεποιθότας ἐν ἰσχύι αὐτῶν πεζῶν εἰς χιλιάδας ἑκατὸν εἴκοσι καὶ πλῆθος ἵππων σὺν ἀναβάταις χιλιάδας δέκα δύο Jdt 2:5
“Thus says the great king, the lord of the whole earth, ‘Behold, you will go forth from my presence and take with you men who trust in their own strength, one hundred twenty thousand foot soldiers; and the number of horses with their riders, twelve thousand.
- - - 6 Jdt 2:6 6 καὶ ἐξελεύσῃ εἰς συνάντησιν πάσῃ τῇ γῇ ἐπὶ δυσμάς ὅτι ἠπείθησαν τῷ ῥήματι τοῦ στόματός μου Jdt 2:6
And you will go against all the west country, because they disobeyed my commandment.
- - - 7 Jdt 2:7 7 καὶ ἀπαγγελεῖς αὐτοῖς ἑτοιμάζειν γῆν καὶ ὕδωρ ὅτι ἐξελεύσομαι ἐν θυμῷ μου ἐπ’ αὐτοὺς καὶ καλύψω πᾶν τὸ πρόσωπον τῆς γῆς ἐν τοῖς ποσὶν τῆς δυνάμεώς μου καὶ δώσω αὐτοὺς εἰς διαρπαγὴν αὐτοῖς Jdt 2:7
And you will declare to them that they should prepare for me earth and water, for I will go forth in my wrath against them and will cover the whole face of the earth with the feet of my army, and I will give them as prey to them,
- - - 8 Jdt 2:8 8 καὶ οἱ τραυματίαι αὐτῶν πληρώσουσιν τὰς φάραγγας αὐτῶν καὶ πᾶς χειμάρρους καὶ ποταμὸς ἐπικλύζων τοῖς νεκροῖς αὐτῶν πληρωθήσεται Jdt 2:8
so that their slain will fill their valleys, and brooks and the river will be filled with their dead until it overflows,
- - - 9 Jdt 2:9 9 καὶ ἄξω τὴν αἰχμαλωσίαν αὐτῶν ἐπὶ τὰ ἄκρα πάσης τῆς γῆς Jdt 2:9
and I will lead them as captives to the utmost parts of all the earth.
- - - 10 Jdt 2:10 10 σὺ δὲ ἐξελθὼν προκαταλήμψῃ μοι πᾶν ὅριον αὐτῶν καὶ ἐκδώσουσίν σοι ἑαυτούς καὶ διατηρήσεις ἐμοὶ αὐτοὺς εἰς ἡμέραν ἐλεγμοῦ αὐτῶν Jdt 2:10
You therefore will go forth and capture for me beforehand all their coasts; and if they will yield themselves to you, you will reserve them for me until the day of their punishment.
- - - 11 Jdt 2:11 11 ἐπὶ δὲ τοὺς ἀπειθοῦντας οὐ φείσεται ὁ ὀφθαλμός σου τοῦ δοῦναι αὐτοὺς εἰς φόνον καὶ ἁρπαγὴν ἐν πάσῃ τῇ γῇ σου Jdt 2:11
But concerning those who rebel, do not allow your eyes to pity them, but slaughter them and plunder them wherever you go.
- - - 12 Jdt 2:12 12 ὅτι ζῶν ἐγὼ καὶ τὸ κράτος τῆς βασιλείας μου λελάληκα καὶ ποιήσω ταῦτα ἐν χειρί μου Jdt 2:12
For as I live, and by the power of my kingdom, whatsoever I have spoken, I will do by my own hand.
- - - 13 Jdt 2:13 13 καὶ σὺ δὲ οὐ παραβήσῃ ἕν τι τῶν ῥημάτων τοῦ κυρίου σου ἀλλὰ ἐπιτελῶν ἐπιτελέσεις καθότι προστέταχά σοι καὶ οὐ μακρυνεῖς τοῦ ποιῆσαι αὐτά Jdt 2:13
And take heed that you transgress none of the commandments of your lord, but accomplish them fully, as I have commanded you, and do not defer to them.’ ”
- - - 14 Jdt 2:14 14 καὶ ἐξῆλθεν Ολοφέρνης ἀπὸ προσώπου τοῦ κυρίου αὐτοῦ καὶ ἐκάλεσεν πάντας τοὺς δυνάστας καὶ τοὺς στρατηγοὺς καὶ ἐπιστάτας τῆς δυνάμεως Ασσουρ Jdt 2:14
¶Then Holofernes went forth from the presence of his lord, and called all the governors and captains, and the officers of the army of Assur.
- - - 15 Jdt 2:15 15 καὶ ἠρίθμησεν ἐκλεκτοὺς ἄνδρας εἰς παράταξιν καθότι ἐκέλευσεν αὐτῷ ὁ κύριος αὐτοῦ εἰς μυριάδας δέκα δύο καὶ ἱππεῖς τοξότας μυρίους δισχιλίους Jdt 2:15
And he mustered the chosen men for the battle, as his lord had commanded him, to a force of one hundred twenty thousand, plus twelve thousand archers on horseback;
- - - 16 Jdt 2:16 16 καὶ διέταξεν αὐτοὺς ὃν τρόπον πολέμου πλῆθος συντάσσεται Jdt 2:16
and he arrayed them just as a great army is ordered for war.
- - - 17 Jdt 2:17 17 καὶ ἔλαβεν καμήλους καὶ ὄνους καὶ ἡμιόνους εἰς τὴν ἀπαρτίαν αὐτῶν πλῆθος πολὺ σφόδρα καὶ πρόβατα καὶ βόας καὶ αἶγας εἰς τὴν παρασκευὴν αὐτῶν ὧν οὐκ ἦν ἀριθμός Jdt 2:17
And he took camels and asses for their carriages, a very great number; and sheep and oxen and goats without number for their provision,
- - - 18 Jdt 2:18 18 καὶ ἐπισιτισμὸν παντὶ ἀνδρὶ εἰς πλῆθος καὶ χρυσίον καὶ ἀργύριον ἐξ οἴκου βασιλέως πολὺ σφόδρα Jdt 2:18
and plenty of rations for every man of the army, and very much gold and silver from the king’s house.
- - - 19 Jdt 2:19 19 καὶ ἐξῆλθεν αὐτὸς καὶ πᾶσα ἡ δύναμις αὐτοῦ εἰς πορείαν τοῦ προελθεῖν βασιλέως Ναβουχοδονοσορ καὶ καλύψαι πᾶν τὸ πρόσωπον τῆς γῆς πρὸς δυσμαῖς ἐν ἅρμασι καὶ ἱππεῦσι καὶ πεζοῖς ἐπιλέκτοις αὐτῶν Jdt 2:19
Then he went forth with all his power to precede king Nebuchadnezzar on the journey, and to cover all the face of the earth westward with their chariots and horsemen, and their chosen foot soldiers.
- - - 20 Jdt 2:20 20 καὶ πολὺς ὁ ἐπίμικτος ὡς ἀκρὶς συνεξῆλθον αὐτοῖς καὶ ὡς ἡ ἄμμος τῆς γῆς οὐ γὰρ ἦν ἀριθμὸς ἀπὸ πλήθους αὐτῶν Jdt 2:20
Also a great number of diverse countries came with them, like locusts and like the sand of the earth, for their multitude was without number.
- - - 21 Jdt 2:21 21 καὶ ἀπῆλθον ἐκ Νινευη ὁδὸν τριῶν ἡμερῶν ἐπὶ πρόσωπον τοῦ πεδίου Βεκτιλεθ καὶ ἐπεστρατοπέδευσαν ἀπὸ Βεκτιλεθ πλησίον τοῦ ὄρους τοῦ ἐπ’ ἀριστερᾷ τῆς ἄνω Κιλικίας Jdt 2:21
¶And they went forth from Nineveh for three days’ journey toward the plain of Bectileth, and pitched camp outside Bectileth, near the mountain which is at the left hand of upper Cilicia.
- - - 22 Jdt 2:22 22 καὶ ἔλαβεν πᾶσαν τὴν δύναμιν αὐτοῦ τοὺς πεζοὺς καὶ τοὺς ἱππεῖς καὶ τὰ ἅρματα αὐτοῦ καὶ ἀπῆλθεν ἐκεῖθεν εἰς τὴν ὀρεινήν Jdt 2:22
Then he took all his army, his foot soldiers, and horsemen and chariots, and went from there into the hill country;
- - - 23 Jdt 2:23 23 καὶ διέκοψεν τὸ Φουδ καὶ Λουδ καὶ ἐπρονόμευσεν υἱοὺς πάντας Ρασσις καὶ υἱοὺς Ισμαηλ τοὺς κατὰ πρόσωπον τῆς ἐρήμου πρὸς νότον τῆς Χελεων Jdt 2:23
and he destroyed Phud and Lud, and pillaged all the children of Rasses, and the children of Israel who were toward the wilderness at the south of the land of the Chellians.
- - - 24 Jdt 2:24 24 καὶ παρῆλθεν τὸν Εὐφράτην καὶ διῆλθεν τὴν Μεσοποταμίαν καὶ κατέσκαψεν πάσας τὰς πόλεις τὰς ὑψηλὰς τὰς ἐπὶ τοῦ χειμάρρου Αβρωνα ἕως τοῦ ἐλθεῖν ἐπὶ θάλασσαν Jdt 2:24
Then he went over the Euphrates, and went through Mesopotamia, and destroyed all the high cities along the river Arbonai, all the way to the sea.
- - - 25 Jdt 2:25 25 καὶ κατελάβετο τὰ ὅρια τῆς Κιλικίας καὶ κατέκοψε πάντας τοὺς ἀντιστάντας αὐτῷ καὶ ἦλθεν ἕως ὁρίων Ιαφεθ τὰ πρὸς νότον κατὰ πρόσωπον τῆς Ἀραβίας Jdt 2:25
And he captured the borders of Cilicia, and killed all who resisted him, and came to the borders of Japheth, toward the south, opposite Arabia.
- - - 26 Jdt 2:26 26 καὶ ἐκύκλωσεν πάντας τοὺς υἱοὺς Μαδιαμ καὶ ἐνέπρησεν τὰ σκηνώματα αὐτῶν καὶ ἐπρονόμευσεν τὰς μάνδρας αὐτῶν Jdt 2:26
He also encircled all the children of Madian, and burned up their tabernacles, and plundered their sheep pens.
- - - 27 Jdt 2:27 27 καὶ κατέβη εἰς πεδίον Δαμασκοῦ ἐν ἡμέραις θερισμοῦ πυρῶν καὶ ἐνέπρησεν πάντας τοὺς ἀγροὺς αὐτῶν καὶ τὰ ποίμνια καὶ τὰ βουκόλια ἔδωκεν εἰς ἀφανισμὸν καὶ τὰς πόλεις αὐτῶν ἐσκύλευσεν καὶ τὰ πεδία αὐτῶν ἐξελίκμησεν καὶ ἐπάταξεν πάντας τοὺς νεανίσκους αὐτῶν ἐν στόματι ῥομφαίας Jdt 2:27
¶Then he went down into the plain of Damascus, at the time of the wheat harvest, and burnt up all their fields, and destroyed their flocks and herds; he also pillaged their cities, and utterly laid waste to their countries, and struck down all their young men with the edge of the sword.
- - - 28 Jdt 2:28 28 καὶ ἐπέπεσεν φόβος καὶ τρόμος αὐτοῦ ἐπὶ τοὺς κατοικοῦντας τὴν παραλίαν τοὺς ὄντας ἐν Σιδῶνι καὶ ἐν Τύρῳ καὶ τοὺς κατοικοῦντας Σουρ καὶ Οκινα καὶ πάντας τοὺς κατοικοῦντας Ιεμνααν καὶ οἱ κατοικοῦντες ἐν Ἀζώτῳ καὶ Ἀσκαλῶνι ἐφοβήθησαν αὐτὸν σφόδρα Jdt 2:28
Therefore the fear and dread of him fell upon all the inhabitants of the sea coasts, who were in Sidon and Tyrus, and those who lived in Sur and Ocina, and all who lived in Jemnaan. And those who lived in Azotus and Ascalon feared him greatly.
- - -
Match Diacritics KEYMAP Wildcard