CATSS LXX Wiki Latin Translation LXX / Vulgata Clementina Westminster Leningrad Codex Wiki Latin Translation HB / Vulgata Clementina 1 Jdt 4:1 1 καὶ ἤκουσαν οἱ υἱοὶ Ισραηλ οἱ κατοικοῦντες ἐν τῇ Ιουδαίᾳ πάντα ὅσα ἐποίησεν Ολοφέρνης τοῖς ἔθνεσιν ὁ ἀρχιστράτηγος Ναβουχοδονοσορ βασιλέως Ἀσσυρίων καὶ ὃν τρόπον ἐσκύλευσεν πάντα τὰ ἱερὰ αὐτῶν καὶ ἔδωκεν αὐτὰ εἰς ἀφανισμόν Jdt 4:1
¶Now the children of Israel, who lived in Judea, heard all that Holofernes the chief captain of Nebuchadnezzar king of the Assyrians had done to the nations, and in what way he had pillaged all their temples and brought them to nothing.
- - - 2 Jdt 4:2 2 καὶ ἐφοβήθησαν σφόδρα σφόδρα ἀπὸ προσώπου αὐτοῦ καὶ περὶ Ιερουσαλημ καὶ τοῦ ναοῦ κυρίου θεοῦ αὐτῶν ἐταράχθησαν Jdt 4:2
Therefore they were exceedingly afraid of him, and were troubled for Jerusalem and for the temple of the Lord their God.
- - - 3 Jdt 4:3 3 ὅτι προσφάτως ἦσαν ἀναβεβηκότες ἐκ τῆς αἰχμαλωσίας καὶ νεωστὶ πᾶς ὁ λαὸς συνελέλεκτο τῆς Ιουδαίας καὶ τὰ σκεύη καὶ τὸ θυσιαστήριον καὶ ὁ οἶκος ἐκ τῆς βεβηλώσεως ἡγιασμένα ἦν Jdt 4:3
For they were newly-returned from the captivity, and all the people of Judea had only recently gathered together; and the vessels and the altar and the house had been sanctified after the profanation.
- - - 4 Jdt 4:4 4 καὶ ἀπέστειλαν εἰς πᾶν ὅριον Σαμαρείας καὶ Κωνα καὶ Βαιθωρων καὶ Βελμαιν καὶ Ιεριχω καὶ εἰς Χωβα καὶ Αισωρα καὶ τὸν αὐλῶνα Σαλημ Jdt 4:4
Therefore they sent into all the coasts of Samaria and the villages, and to Bethoron and Belmen and Jericho, and to Choba and Esora, and to the valley of Salem;
- - - 5 Jdt 4:5 5 καὶ προκατελάβοντο πάσας τὰς κορυφὰς τῶν ὀρέων τῶν ὑψηλῶν καὶ ἐτείχισαν τὰς ἐν αὐτοῖς κώμας καὶ παρέθεντο εἰς ἐπισιτισμὸν εἰς παρασκευὴν πολέμου ὅτι προσφάτως ἦν τὰ πεδία αὐτῶν τεθερισμένα Jdt 4:5
and they captured for themselves in advance all the tops of the high mountains, and fortified the villages which were in them, and stored up food as provisions for war, for their fields had been recently reaped.
- - - 6 Jdt 4:6 6 καὶ ἔγραψεν Ιωακιμ ὁ ἱερεὺς ὁ μέγας ὃς ἦν ἐν ταῖς ἡμέραις ἐν Ιερουσαλημ τοῖς κατοικοῦσι Βαιτυλουα καὶ Βαιτομεσθαιμ ἥ ἐστιν ἀπέναντι Εσδρηλων κατὰ πρόσωπον τοῦ πεδίου τοῦ πλησίον Δωθαϊμ Jdt 4:6
¶Also, Joacim the high priest, who was in those days in Jerusalem, wrote to those who lived in Bethulia and Betomestham, which is opposite Esdraelon toward the open country near Dothaim,
- - - 7 Jdt 4:7 7 λέγων διακατασχεῖν τὰς ἀναβάσεις τῆς ὀρεινῆς ὅτι δι’ αὐτῶν ἦν ἡ εἴσοδος εἰς τὴν Ιουδαίαν καὶ ἦν εὐχερῶς διακωλῦσαι αὐτοὺς προσβαίνοντας στενῆς τῆς προσβάσεως οὔσης ἐπ’ ἄνδρας τοὺς πάντας δύο Jdt 4:7
charging them to hold the passages of the hill country; for through them there was an entrance into Judea, and it was easy to stop those who would come up, because the passage was narrow, for two men at the most.
- - - 8 Jdt 4:8 8 καὶ ἐποίησαν οἱ υἱοὶ Ισραηλ καθὰ συνέταξεν αὐτοῖς Ιωακιμ ὁ ἱερεὺς ὁ μέγας καὶ ἡ γερουσία παντὸς δήμου Ισραηλ οἳ ἐκάθηντο ἐν Ιερουσαλημ Jdt 4:8
And the children of Israel did as Joacim the high priest had commanded them, with the elders of all the people of Israel, who lived at Jerusalem.
- - - 9 Jdt 4:9 9 καὶ ἀνεβόησαν πᾶς ἀνὴρ Ισραηλ πρὸς τὸν θεὸν ἐν ἐκτενείᾳ μεγάλῃ καὶ ἐταπείνωσαν τὰς ψυχὰς αὐτῶν ἐν ἐκτενείᾳ μεγάλῃ Jdt 4:9
Then every man cried to God with great fervor, and they humbled their souls with great vehemence,
- - - 10 Jdt 4:10 10 αὐτοὶ καὶ αἱ γυναῖκες αὐτῶν καὶ τὰ νήπια αὐτῶν καὶ τὰ κτήνη αὐτῶν καὶ πᾶς πάροικος καὶ μισθωτὸς καὶ ἀργυρώνητος αὐτῶν ἐπέθεντο σάκκους ἐπὶ τὰς ὀσφύας αὐτῶν Jdt 4:10
and both they and their wives and their children, and their cattle, and every stranger and hired hand, and their servants bought with money, put sackcloth on their loins.
- - - 11 Jdt 4:11 11 καὶ πᾶς ἀνὴρ Ισραηλ καὶ γυνὴ καὶ τὰ παιδία οἱ κατοικοῦντες ἐν Ιερουσαλημ ἔπεσον κατὰ πρόσωπον τοῦ ναοῦ καὶ ἐσποδώσαντο τὰς κεφαλὰς αὐτῶν καὶ ἐξέτειναν τοὺς σάκκους αὐτῶν κατὰ πρόσωπον κυρίου Jdt 4:11
Thus every man, and the women and little children, and the inhabitants of Jerusalem, fell before the temple and cast ashes upon their heads and spread out their sackcloth before the face of the Lord; they also put sackcloth around the altar.
- - - 12 Jdt 4:12 12 καὶ τὸ θυσιαστήριον σάκκῳ περιέβαλον καὶ ἐβόησαν πρὸς τὸν θεὸν Ισραηλ ὁμοθυμαδὸν ἐκτενῶς τοῦ μὴ δοῦναι εἰς διαρπαγὴν τὰ νήπια αὐτῶν καὶ τὰς γυναῖκας εἰς προνομὴν καὶ τὰς πόλεις τῆς κληρονομίας αὐτῶν εἰς ἀφανισμὸν καὶ τὰ ἅγια εἰς βεβήλωσιν καὶ ὀνειδισμὸν ἐπίχαρμα τοῖς ἔθνεσιν Jdt 4:12
And they cried to the God of Israel, all with one consent earnestly, so that he would not give over their children as prey and their wives for a spoil and the cities of their inheritance to destruction and the sanctuary to profanation and reproach, for the nations to rejoice over them.
- - - 13 Jdt 4:13 13 καὶ εἰσήκουσεν κύριος τῆς φωνῆς αὐτῶν καὶ εἰσεῖδεν τὴν θλῖψιν αὐτῶν καὶ ἦν ὁ λαὸς νηστεύων ἡμέρας πλείους ἐν πάσῃ τῇ Ιουδαίᾳ καὶ Ιερουσαλημ κατὰ πρόσωπον τῶν ἁγίων κυρίου παντοκράτορος Jdt 4:13
¶So God heard their prayers and looked upon their afflictions; for the people fasted many days in all Judea and Jerusalem before the sanctuary of the Lord Almighty.
- - - 14 Jdt 4:14 14 καὶ Ιωακιμ ὁ ἱερεὺς ὁ μέγας καὶ πάντες οἱ παρεστηκότες ἐνώπιον κυρίου ἱερεῖς καὶ οἱ λειτουργοῦντες κυρίῳ σάκκους περιεζωσμένοι τὰς ὀσφύας αὐτῶν προσέφερον τὴν ὁλοκαύτωσιν τοῦ ἐνδελεχισμοῦ καὶ τὰς εὐχὰς καὶ τὰ ἑκούσια δόματα τοῦ λαοῦ Jdt 4:14
And Joacim the high priest, and all the priests who stood before the Lord and those who ministered to the Lord, had their loins dressed with sackcloth, and offered the daily burnt offerings with the vows and free gifts of the people,
- - - 15 Jdt 4:15 15 καὶ ἦν σποδὸς ἐπὶ τὰς κιδάρεις αὐτῶν καὶ ἐβόων πρὸς κύριον ἐκ πάσης δυνάμεως εἰς ἀγαθὸν ἐπισκέψασθαι πᾶν οἶκον Ισραηλ Jdt 4:15
and had ashes on their liturgical headdresses; and they cried to the Lord with all their power, so that he would look upon all the house of Israel graciously.
- - -
Match Diacritics KEYMAP Wildcard