CATSS LXX Wiki Latin Translation LXX / Vulgata Clementina Westminster Leningrad Codex Wiki Latin Translation HB / Vulgata Clementina 1 Jdt 5:1 1 καὶ ἀνηγγέλη Ολοφέρνῃ ἀρχιστρατήγῳ δυνάμεως Ασσουρ διότι οἱ υἱοὶ Ισραηλ παρεσκευάσαντο εἰς πόλεμον καὶ τὰς διόδους τῆς ὀρεινῆς συνέκλεισαν καὶ ἐτείχισαν πᾶσαν κορυφὴν ὄρους ὑψηλοῦ καὶ ἔθηκαν ἐν τοῖς πεδίοις σκάνδαλα Jdt 5:1
¶Then was it declared to Holofernes, the chief captain of the army of Assur, that the children of Israel had prepared for war and had shut up the passages of the hill country and had fortified all the tops of the high hills and had laid impediments in the open plains.
- - - 2 Jdt 5:2 2 καὶ ὠργίσθη θυμῷ σφόδρα καὶ ἐκάλεσεν πάντας τοὺς ἄρχοντας Μωαβ καὶ τοὺς στρατηγοὺς Αμμων καὶ πάντας σατράπας τῆς παραλίας Jdt 5:2
Because of this, he was very angry, and he called all the princes of Moab and the captains of Ammon and all the governors of the sea coast,
- - - 3 Jdt 5:3 3 καὶ εἶπεν αὐτοῖς ἀναγγείλατε δή μοι υἱοὶ Χανααν τίς ὁ λαὸς οὗτος ὁ καθήμενος ἐν τῇ ὀρεινῇ καὶ τίνες ἃς κατοικοῦσιν πόλεις καὶ τὸ πλῆθος τῆς δυνάμεως αὐτῶν καὶ ἐν τίνι τὸ κράτος αὐτῶν καὶ ἡ ἰσχὺς αὐτῶν καὶ τίς ἀνέστηκεν ἐπ’ αὐτῶν βασιλεὺς ἡγούμενος στρατιᾶς αὐτῶν Jdt 5:3
and he said to them, “Tell me now, you sons of Canaan, who is this people, who dwell in the hill country, and which cities do they inhabit, and what is the multitude of their army, and wherein is their power and strength, and what king or captain of their army is set over them,
- - - 4 Jdt 5:4 4 καὶ διὰ τί κατενωτίσαντο τοῦ μὴ ἐλθεῖν εἰς ἀπάντησίν μοι παρὰ πάντας τοὺς κατοικοῦντας ἐν δυσμαῖς Jdt 5:4
and why are they resolved not to come and meet me, more so than all the inhabitants of the west?”
- - - 5 Jdt 5:5 5 καὶ εἶπεν πρὸς αὐτὸν Αχιωρ ὁ ἡγούμενος πάντων υἱῶν Αμμων ἀκουσάτω δὴ λόγον ὁ κύριός μου ἐκ στόματος τοῦ δούλου σου καὶ ἀναγγελῶ σοι τὴν ἀλήθειαν περὶ τοῦ λαοῦ τούτου ὃς κατοικεῖ τὴν ὀρεινὴν ταύτην πλησίον σοῦ οἰκοῦντος καὶ οὐκ ἐξελεύσεται ψεῦδος ἐκ τοῦ στόματος τοῦ δούλου σου Jdt 5:5
¶Then Achior, the captain of all the sons of Ammon, said, “Let my lord now hear a word from the mouth of your servant and I will declare to you the truth concerning this people, who dwell near you and inhabit the hill countries, and no lie will come out of the mouth of your servant.
- - - 6 Jdt 5:6 6 ὁ λαὸς οὗτός εἰσιν ἀπόγονοι Χαλδαίων Jdt 5:6
This people is descended from the Chaldeans,
- - - 7 Jdt 5:7 7 καὶ παρῴκησαν τὸ πρότερον ἐν τῇ Μεσοποταμίᾳ ὅτι οὐκ ἐβουλήθησαν ἀκολουθῆσαι τοῖς θεοῖς τῶν πατέρων αὐτῶν οἳ ἐγένοντο ἐν γῇ Χαλδαίων Jdt 5:7
and they resided temporarily and until recently in Mesopotamia, because they would not follow the gods of their fathers, who were in the land of Chaldea.
- - - 8 Jdt 5:8 8 καὶ ἐξέβησαν ἐξ ὁδοῦ τῶν γονέων αὐτῶν καὶ προσεκύνησαν τῷ θεῷ τοῦ οὐρανοῦ θεῷ ᾧ ἐπέγνωσαν καὶ ἐξέβαλον αὐτοὺς ἀπὸ προσώπου τῶν θεῶν αὐτῶν καὶ ἔφυγον εἰς Μεσοποταμίαν καὶ παρῴκησαν ἐκεῖ ἡμέρας πολλάς Jdt 5:8
For they left the way of their ancestors and worshipped the God of heaven, the God they knew; so they cast them out from the face of their gods, and they fled into Mesopotamia and lodged there for many days.
- - - 9 Jdt 5:9 9 καὶ εἶπεν ὁ θεὸς αὐτῶν ἐξελθεῖν ἐκ τῆς παροικίας αὐτῶν καὶ πορευθῆναι εἰς γῆν Χανααν καὶ κατῴκησαν ἐκεῖ καὶ ἐπληθύνθησαν χρυσίῳ καὶ ἀργυρίῳ καὶ ἐν κτήνεσιν πολλοῖς σφόδρα Jdt 5:9
Then their God commanded them to depart from the place where they lived and to go into the land of Canaan; there they lived and were increased with gold and silver and with very much cattle.
- - - 10 Jdt 5:10 10 καὶ κατέβησαν εἰς Αἴγυπτον ἐκάλυψεν γὰρ τὸ πρόσωπον τῆς γῆς Χανααν λιμός καὶ παρῴκησαν ἐκεῖ μέχρις οὗ διετράφησαν καὶ ἐγένοντο ἐκεῖ εἰς πλῆθος πολύ καὶ οὐκ ἦν ἀριθμὸς τοῦ γένους αὐτῶν Jdt 5:10
But when a famine covered all the land of Canaan, they went down into Egypt and lodged there; meanwhile they were nourished and became a great multitude there, so that one could not number their nation.
- - - 11 Jdt 5:11 11 καὶ ἐπανέστη αὐτοῖς ὁ βασιλεὺς Αἰγύπτου καὶ κατεσοφίσατο αὐτοὺς ἐν πόνῳ καὶ πλίνθῳ ἐταπείνωσαν αὐτοὺς καὶ ἔθεντο αὐτοὺς εἰς δούλους Jdt 5:11
Therefore the king of Egypt rose up against them, and he dealt subtly with them and brought them low with labor in brick and made them slaves.
- - - 12 Jdt 5:12 12 καὶ ἀνεβόησαν πρὸς τὸν θεὸν αὐτῶν καὶ ἐπάταξεν πᾶσαν τὴν γῆν Αἰγύπτου πληγαῖς ἐν αἷς οὐκ ἦν ἴασις καὶ ἐξέβαλον αὐτοὺς οἱ Αἰγύπτιοι ἀπὸ προσώπου αὐτῶν Jdt 5:12
Then they cried to their God and he smote all the land of Egypt with incurable plagues, so the Egyptians cast them out of their sight.
- - - 13 Jdt 5:13 13 καὶ κατεξήρανεν ὁ θεὸς τὴν ἐρυθρὰν θάλασσαν ἔμπροσθεν αὐτῶν Jdt 5:13
And God dried the Red Sea before them
- - - 14 Jdt 5:14 14 καὶ ἤγαγεν αὐτοὺς εἰς ὁδὸν τοῦ Σινα καὶ Καδης Βαρνη καὶ ἐξέβαλον πάντας τοὺς κατοικοῦντας ἐν τῇ ἐρήμῳ Jdt 5:14
and brought them to mount Sinai and Kadesh-Barnea, and cast out all who lived in the wilderness.
- - - 15 Jdt 5:15 15 καὶ ᾤκησαν ἐν γῇ Αμορραίων καὶ πάντας τοὺς Εσεβωνίτας ἐξωλέθρευσαν ἐν τῇ ἰσχύι αὐτῶν καὶ διαβάντες τὸν Ιορδάνην ἐκληρονόμησαν πᾶσαν τὴν ὀρεινὴν Jdt 5:15
So they lived in the land of the Amorites, and by their strength they destroyed all those who were of Esebon, and passing over the Jordan they possessed all the hill country.
- - - 16 Jdt 5:16 16 καὶ ἐξέβαλον ἐκ προσώπου αὐτῶν τὸν Χαναναῖον καὶ τὸν Φερεζαῖον καὶ τὸν Ιεβουσαῖον καὶ τὸν Συχεμ καὶ πάντας τοὺς Γεργεσαίους καὶ κατῴκησαν ἐν αὐτῇ ἡμέρας πολλάς Jdt 5:16
And they cast out before them the Canaanite, the Pherezite, the Jebusite, and the Sychemite, and all the Gergesites, and they lived in that country for many days.
- - - 17 Jdt 5:17 17 καὶ ἕως οὐχ ἥμαρτον ἐνώπιον τοῦ θεοῦ αὐτῶν ἦν μετ’ αὐτῶν τὰ ἀγαθά ὅτι θεὸς μισῶν ἀδικίαν μετ’ αὐτῶν ἐστιν Jdt 5:17
¶“While they did not sin before their God, they prospered, because the God who hates iniquity was with them.
- - - 18 Jdt 5:18 18 ὅτε δὲ ἀπέστησαν ἀπὸ τῆς ὁδοῦ ἧς διέθετο αὐτοῖς ἐξωλεθρεύθησαν ἐν πολλοῖς πολέμοις ἐπὶ πολὺ σφόδρα καὶ ᾐχμαλωτεύθησαν εἰς γῆν οὐκ ἰδίαν καὶ ὁ ναὸς τοῦ θεοῦ αὐτῶν ἐγενήθη εἰς ἔδαφος καὶ αἱ πόλεις αὐτῶν ἐκρατήθησαν ὑπὸ τῶν ὑπεναντίων Jdt 5:18
But when they departed from the way which he appointed for them, they were destroyed in many battles very badly and were led captive into a land which was not their own, and the temple of their God was cast to the ground, and their cities were taken by the enemies.
- - - 19 Jdt 5:19 19 καὶ νῦν ἐπιστρέψαντες ἐπὶ τὸν θεὸν αὐτῶν ἀνέβησαν ἐκ τῆς διασπορᾶς οὗ διεσπάρησαν ἐκεῖ καὶ κατέσχον τὴν Ιερουσαλημ οὗ τὸ ἁγίασμα αὐτῶν καὶ κατῳκίσθησαν ἐν τῇ ὀρεινῇ ὅτι ἦν ἔρημος Jdt 5:19
But now are they returned to their God and have returned from the places where they were scattered and have possessed Jerusalem, where their sanctuary is, and are seated in the hill country, for it had been desolate.
- - - 20 Jdt 5:20 20 καὶ νῦν δέσποτα κύριε εἰ μὲν ἔστιν ἀγνόημα ἐν τῷ λαῷ τούτῳ καὶ ἁμαρτάνουσιν εἰς τὸν θεὸν αὐτῶν καὶ ἐπισκεψόμεθα ὅτι ἔστιν ἐν αὐτοῖς σκάνδαλον τοῦτο καὶ ἀναβησόμεθα καὶ ἐκπολεμήσομεν αὐτούς Jdt 5:20
Now therefore, my lord and governor, if there is any ignorance in this people and they sin against their God, let us consider that this will be their ruin, and let us go up and we will overcome them.
- - - 21 Jdt 5:21 21 εἰ δ’ οὐκ ἔστιν ἀνομία ἐν τῷ ἔθνει αὐτῶν παρελθέτω δὴ ὁ κύριός μου μήποτε ὑπερασπίσῃ ὁ κύριος αὐτῶν καὶ ὁ θεὸς αὐτῶν ὑπὲρ αὐτῶν καὶ ἐσόμεθα εἰς ὀνειδισμὸν ἐναντίον πάσης τῆς γῆς Jdt 5:21
But if there is no iniquity in their nation, let my lord now pass by, lest their Lord defend them and their God be for them, and we become a reproach before all the world.”
- - - 22 Jdt 5:22 22 καὶ ἐγένετο ὡς ἐπαύσατο Αχιωρ λαλῶν τοὺς λόγους τούτους καὶ ἐγόγγυσεν πᾶς ὁ λαὸς ὁ κυκλῶν τὴν σκηνὴν καὶ περιεστώς καὶ εἶπαν οἱ μεγιστᾶνες Ολοφέρνου καὶ πάντες οἱ κατοικοῦντες τὴν παραλίαν καὶ τὴν Μωαβ συγκόψαι αὐτόν Jdt 5:22
¶And when Achior had finished these sayings, all the people standing around the tent murmured; and the chief men of Holofernes, and all who lived by the seaside and in Moab, were saying that he should kill him.
- - - 23 Jdt 5:23 23 οὐ γὰρ φοβηθησόμεθα ἀπὸ υἱῶν Ισραηλ ἰδοὺ γὰρ λαὸς ἐν ᾧ οὐκ ἔστιν δύναμις οὐδὲ κράτος εἰς παράταξιν ἰσχυράν Jdt 5:23
For they said, “We will not be afraid of the faces of the children of Israel, for we see that they are a people who have no strength or power for a strong battle.
- - - 24 Jdt 5:24 24 διὸ δὴ ἀναβησόμεθα καὶ ἔσονται εἰς κατάβρωσιν πάσης τῆς στρατιᾶς σου δέσποτα Ολοφέρνη Jdt 5:24
Now therefore, lord Holofernes, we will go up and they will be a prey to be devoured by all your army.”
- - -
Match Diacritics KEYMAP Wildcard