CATSS LXX Wiki Latin Translation LXX / Vulgata Clementina Westminster Leningrad Codex Wiki Latin Translation HB / Vulgata Clementina 1 Jdt 7:1 1 τῇ δὲ ἐπαύριον παρήγγειλεν Ολοφέρνης πάσῃ τῇ στρατιᾷ αὐτοῦ καὶ παντὶ τῷ λαῷ αὐτοῦ οἳ παρεγένοντο ἐπὶ τὴν συμμαχίαν αὐτοῦ ἀναζευγνύειν ἐπὶ Βαιτυλουα καὶ τὰς ἀναβάσεις τῆς ὀρεινῆς προκαταλαμβάνεσθαι καὶ ποιεῖν πόλεμον πρὸς τοὺς υἱοὺς Ισραηλ Jdt 7:1
¶The next day Holofernes commanded all his army and all his people who had arrived take his side that they should remove their camp from opposite Bethulia and capture in advance the ascents of the hill country in order to make war against the children of Israel.
- - - 2 Jdt 7:2 2 καὶ ἀνέζευξεν ἐν τῇ ἡμέρᾳ ἐκείνῃ πᾶς ἀνὴρ δυνατὸς αὐτῶν καὶ ἡ δύναμις αὐτῶν ἀνδρῶν πολεμιστῶν χιλιάδες πεζῶν ἑκατὸν ἑβδομήκοντα καὶ ἱππέων χιλιάδες δέκα δύο χωρὶς τῆς ἀποσκευῆς καὶ τῶν ἀνδρῶν οἳ ἦσαν πεζοὶ ἐν αὐτοῖς πλῆθος πολὺ σφόδρα Jdt 7:2
Then their strong men removed their camps on that day; and the army of the men of war was one hundred seventy thousand foot soldiers, and twelve thousand horsemen, besides the baggage and the other men who were afoot among them, a very great multitude.
- - - 3 Jdt 7:3 3 καὶ παρενέβαλον ἐν τῷ αὐλῶνι πλησίον Βαιτυλουα ἐπὶ τῆς πηγῆς καὶ παρέτειναν εἰς εὖρος ἐπὶ Δωθαϊμ ἕως Βελβαιμ καὶ εἰς μῆκος ἀπὸ Βαιτυλουα ἕως Κυαμωνος ἥ ἐστιν ἀπέναντι τοῦ Εσδρηλων Jdt 7:3
And they camped in the valley near Bethulia, by the spring, and they spread themselves in width across Dothaim even to Belmaim, and in length from Bethulia to Cynamon, which is opposite Esdraelon.
- - - 4 Jdt 7:4 4 οἱ δὲ υἱοὶ Ισραηλ ὡς εἶδον αὐτῶν τὸ πλῆθος ἐταράχθησαν σφόδρα καὶ εἶπαν ἕκαστος πρὸς τὸν πλησίον αὐτοῦ νῦν ἐκλείξουσιν οὗτοι τὸ πρόσωπον τῆς γῆς πάσης καὶ οὔτε τὰ ὄρη τὰ ὑψηλὰ οὔτε αἱ φάραγγες οὔτε οἱ βουνοὶ ὑποστήσονται τὸ βάρος αὐτῶν Jdt 7:4
¶Now the children of Israel, when they saw the multitude of them, were greatly troubled, and everyone said to his neighbor, “Now these men will wipe clean the face of the earth, for neither the high mountains, nor the valleys, nor the hills, are able to bear their weight.”
- - - 5 Jdt 7:5 5 καὶ ἀναλαβόντες ἕκαστος τὰ σκεύη τὰ πολεμικὰ αὐτῶν καὶ ἀνακαύσαντες πυρὰς ἐπὶ τοὺς πύργους αὐτῶν ἔμενον φυλάσσοντες ὅλην τὴν νύκτα ἐκείνην Jdt 7:5
Then every man took up his weapons of war, and when they had kindled fires on their towers, they remained and watched all that night.
- - - 6 Jdt 7:6 6 τῇ δὲ ἡμέρᾳ τῇ δευτέρᾳ ἐξήγαγεν Ολοφέρνης πᾶσαν τὴν ἵππον αὐτοῦ κατὰ πρόσωπον τῶν υἱῶν Ισραηλ οἳ ἦσαν ἐν Βαιτυλουα Jdt 7:6
But on the second day, Holofernes brought forth all his horsemen in the sight of the children of Israel, who were in Bethulia,
- - - 7 Jdt 7:7 7 καὶ ἐπεσκέψατο τὰς ἀναβάσεις τῆς πόλεως αὐτῶν καὶ τὰς πηγὰς τῶν ὑδάτων ἐφώδευσεν καὶ προκατελάβετο αὐτὰς καὶ ἐπέστησεν αὐταῖς παρεμβολὰς ἀνδρῶν πολεμιστῶν καὶ αὐτὸς ἀνέζευξεν εἰς τὸν λαὸν αὐτοῦ Jdt 7:7
and viewed the passages up to the city; and he went to the origins of their waters and captured them, and he set garrisons of men of war over them, and he himself returned toward his people.
- - - 8 Jdt 7:8 8 καὶ προσελθόντες αὐτῷ πάντες ἄρχοντες υἱῶν Ησαυ καὶ πάντες οἱ ἡγούμενοι τοῦ λαοῦ Μωαβ καὶ οἱ στρατηγοὶ τῆς παραλίας εἶπαν Jdt 7:8
¶Then they came to him, all the chiefs of the children of Esau and all the governors of the people of Moab and the captains of the sea coast, and they said,
- - - 9 Jdt 7:9 9 ἀκουσάτω δὴ λόγον ὁ δεσπότης ἡμῶν ἵνα μὴ γένηται θραῦσμα ἐν τῇ δυνάμει σου Jdt 7:9
“Let our lord now hear a word, so that there will not be a loss among your army.
- - - 10 Jdt 7:10 10 ὁ γὰρ λαὸς οὗτος τῶν υἱῶν Ισραηλ οὐ πέποιθαν ἐπὶ τοῖς δόρασιν αὐτῶν ἀλλ’ ἐπὶ τοῖς ὕψεσι τῶν ὀρέων ἐν οἷς αὐτοὶ ἐνοικοῦσιν ἐν αὐτοῖς οὐ γάρ ἐστιν εὐχερὲς προσβῆναι ταῖς κορυφαῖς τῶν ὀρέων αὐτῶν Jdt 7:10
For this people of the children of Israel do not trust in their spears, but in the height of the mountains where they dwell, for it is not easy to come up to the tops of their mountains.
- - - 11 Jdt 7:11 11 καὶ νῦν δέσποτα μὴ πολέμει πρὸς αὐτοὺς καθὼς γίνεται πόλεμος παρατάξεως καὶ οὐ πεσεῖται ἐκ τοῦ λαοῦ σου ἀνὴρ εἷς Jdt 7:11
Now therefore, my lord, do not fight against them in battle array and not so much as one man among your people will perish.
- - - 12 Jdt 7:12 12 ἀνάμεινον ἐπὶ τῆς παρεμβολῆς σου διαφυλάσσων πάντα ἄνδρα ἐκ τῆς δυνάμεώς σου καὶ ἐπικρατησάτωσαν οἱ παῖδές σου τῆς πηγῆς τοῦ ὕδατος ἣ ἐκπορεύεται ἐκ τῆς ῥίζης τοῦ ὄρους Jdt 7:12
Remain in your camp and keep all the men of your army there, and let us your servants take hold of the springs of water, which issue forth at the foot of the mountain.
- - - 13 Jdt 7:13 13 διότι ἐκεῖθεν ὑδρεύονται πάντες οἱ κατοικοῦντες Βαιτυλουα καὶ ἀνελεῖ αὐτοὺς ἡ δίψα καὶ ἐκδώσουσι τὴν πόλιν αὐτῶν καὶ ἡμεῖς καὶ ὁ λαὸς ἡμῶν ἀναβησόμεθα ἐπὶ τὰς πλησίον κορυφὰς τῶν ὀρέων καὶ παρεμβαλοῦμεν ἐπ’ αὐταῖς εἰς προφυλακὴν τοῦ μὴ ἐξελθεῖν ἐκ τῆς πόλεως ἄνδρα ἕνα Jdt 7:13
For all the inhabitants of Bethulia have their water there; so thirst will kill them and they will give up their city, and we and our people will go up to the tops of the mountains nearby and will camp on them to watch so that none can go out of the city.
- - - 14 Jdt 7:14 14 καὶ τακήσονται ἐν τῷ λιμῷ αὐτοὶ καὶ αἱ γυναῖκες αὐτῶν καὶ τὰ τέκνα αὐτῶν καὶ πρὶν ἐλθεῖν τὴν ῥομφαίαν ἐπ’ αὐτοὺς καταστρωθήσονται ἐν ταῖς πλατείαις τῆς οἰκήσεως αὐτῶν Jdt 7:14
So they and their wives and their children will be consumed with fiery thirst, as if it were a sword brought against them, and so they will be overthrown in the streets where they dwell.
- - - 15 Jdt 7:15 15 καὶ ἀνταποδώσεις αὐτοῖς ἀνταπόδομα πονηρὸν ἀνθ’ ὧν ἐστασίασαν καὶ οὐκ ἀπήντησαν τῷ προσώπῳ σου ἐν εἰρήνῃ Jdt 7:15
Thus will you render them an evil reward, because they rebelled and did not meet your person peaceably.”
- - - 16 Jdt 7:16 16 καὶ ἤρεσαν οἱ λόγοι αὐτῶν ἐνώπιον Ολοφέρνου καὶ ἐνώπιον πάντων τῶν θεραπόντων αὐτοῦ καὶ συνέταξε ποιεῖν καθὰ ἐλάλησαν Jdt 7:16
And these words pleased Holofernes and all his servants, and he decided to do as they had said.
- - - 17 Jdt 7:17 17 καὶ ἀπῆρεν παρεμβολὴ υἱῶν Αμμων καὶ μετ’ αὐτῶν χιλιάδες πέντε υἱῶν Ασσουρ καὶ παρενέβαλον ἐν τῷ αὐλῶνι καὶ προκατελάβοντο τὰ ὕδατα καὶ τὰς πηγὰς τῶν ὑδάτων τῶν υἱῶν Ισραηλ Jdt 7:17
¶So the camp of the children of Ammon departed, and with them five thousand of the Assyrians, and they pitched camp in the valley and captured the waters and the origins of the waters of the children of Israel.
- - - 18 Jdt 7:18 18 καὶ ἀνέβησαν οἱ υἱοὶ Ησαυ καὶ οἱ υἱοὶ Αμμων καὶ παρενέβαλον ἐν τῇ ὀρεινῇ ἀπέναντι Δωθαϊμ καὶ ἀπέστειλαν ἐξ αὐτῶν πρὸς νότον καὶ ἀπηλιώτην ἀπέναντι Εγρεβηλ ἥ ἐστιν πλησίον Χους ἥ ἐστιν ἐπὶ τοῦ χειμάρρου Μοχμουρ καὶ ἡ λοιπὴ στρατιὰ τῶν Ἀσσυρίων παρενέβαλον ἐν τῷ πεδίῳ καὶ ἐκάλυψαν πᾶν τὸ πρόσωπον τῆς γῆς καὶ αἱ σκηναὶ καὶ αἱ ἀπαρτίαι αὐτῶν κατεστρατοπέδευσαν ἐν ὄχλῳ πολλῷ καὶ ἦσαν εἰς πλῆθος πολὺ σφόδρα Jdt 7:18
Then the children of Esau went up with the children of Ammon and camped in the hill country opposite Dothaim. And they sent some of them toward the south and toward the east opposite Ekrebel, near Chusi upon the brook Mochmur; and the rest of the army of the Assyrians camped in the plain and covered the face of the whole land; and their tents and carriages were pitched for a very great multitude.
- - - 19 Jdt 7:19 19 καὶ οἱ υἱοὶ Ισραηλ ἀνεβόησαν πρὸς κύριον θεὸν αὐτῶν ὅτι ὠλιγοψύχησεν τὸ πνεῦμα αὐτῶν ὅτι ἐκύκλωσαν πάντες οἱ ἐχθροὶ αὐτῶν καὶ οὐκ ἦν διαφυγεῖν ἐκ μέσου αὐτῶν Jdt 7:19
¶Then the children of Israel cried to the Lord their God, because their heart failed, for all their enemies had surrounded them and there was no way to escape out from among them.
- - - 20 Jdt 7:20 20 καὶ ἔμεινεν κύκλῳ αὐτῶν πᾶσα παρεμβολὴ Ασσουρ οἱ πεζοὶ καὶ ἅρματα καὶ οἱ ἱππεῖς αὐτῶν ἡμέρας τριάκοντα τέσσαρας καὶ ἐξέλιπεν πάντας τοὺς κατοικοῦντας Βαιτυλουα πάντα τὰ ἀγγεῖα αὐτῶν τῶν ὑδάτων Jdt 7:20
Thus all the company of Assur remained around them, both their foot soldiers, chariots, and horsemen, for thirty-four days, so that all their vessels of water ran dry for all the inhabitants of Bethulia
- - - 21 Jdt 7:21 21 καὶ οἱ λάκκοι ἐξεκενοῦντο καὶ οὐκ εἶχον πιεῖν εἰς πλησμονὴν ὕδωρ ἡμέραν μίαν ὅτι ἐν μέτρῳ ἐδίδοσαν αὐτοῖς πιεῖν Jdt 7:21
and the cisterns were emptied. And they did not have enough water to drink their fill for even one day, for they rationed their water.
- - - 22 Jdt 7:22 22 καὶ ἠθύμησεν τὰ νήπια αὐτῶν καὶ αἱ γυναῖκες καὶ οἱ νεανίσκοι ἐξέλιπον ἀπὸ τῆς δίψης καὶ ἔπιπτον ἐν ταῖς πλατείαις τῆς πόλεως καὶ ἐν ταῖς διόδοις τῶν πυλῶν καὶ οὐκ ἦν κραταίωσις ἔτι ἐν αὐτοῖς Jdt 7:22
Therefore their young children lost heart, and their women and young men fainted for thirst and fell down in the streets of the city and by the passageways of the gates; and there was no longer any strength in them.
- - - 23 Jdt 7:23 23 καὶ ἐπισυνήχθησαν πᾶς ὁ λαὸς ἐπὶ Οζιαν καὶ τοὺς ἄρχοντας τῆς πόλεως οἱ νεανίσκοι καὶ αἱ γυναῖκες καὶ τὰ παιδία καὶ ἀνεβόησαν φωνῇ μεγάλῃ καὶ εἶπαν ἐναντίον πάντων τῶν πρεσβυτέρων Jdt 7:23
¶Then all the people assembled before Uzziah and the chiefs of the city, including young men and women and children, and they cried with a loud voice and said before all the elders,
- - - 24 Jdt 7:24 24 κρίναι ὁ θεὸς ἀνὰ μέσον ὑμῶν καὶ ἡμῶν ὅτι ἐποιήσατε ἐν ἡμῖν ἀδικίαν μεγάλην οὐ λαλήσαντες εἰρηνικὰ μετὰ υἱῶν Ασσουρ Jdt 7:24
“God be judge between us and you, for you have done us great injury in that you have not made peace with the children of Assur.
- - - 25 Jdt 7:25 25 καὶ νῦν οὐκ ἔστιν ὁ βοηθὸς ἡμῶν ἀλλὰ πέπρακεν ἡμᾶς ὁ θεὸς εἰς τὰς χεῖρας αὐτῶν τοῦ καταστρωθῆναι ἐναντίον αὐτῶν ἐν δίψῃ καὶ ἀπωλείᾳ μεγάλῃ Jdt 7:25
For now we have no helper, but God has sold us into their hands, so that we should be thrown down before them with thirst and great destruction.
- - - 26 Jdt 7:26 26 καὶ νῦν ἐπικαλέσασθε αὐτοὺς καὶ ἔκδοσθε τὴν πόλιν πᾶσαν εἰς προνομὴν τῷ λαῷ Ολοφέρνου καὶ πάσῃ τῇ δυνάμει αὐτοῦ Jdt 7:26
Now therefore call them to you and deliver the whole city for a spoil to the people of Holofernes and to all his army.
- - - 27 Jdt 7:27 27 κρεῖσσον γὰρ ἡμῖν γενηθῆναι αὐτοῖς εἰς διαρπαγήν ἐσόμεθα γὰρ εἰς δούλους καὶ ζήσεται ἡ ψυχὴ ἡμῶν καὶ οὐκ ὀψόμεθα τὸν θάνατον τῶν νηπίων ἡμῶν ἐν ὀφθαλμοῖς ἡμῶν καὶ τὰς γυναῖκας καὶ τὰ τέκνα ἡμῶν ἐκλειπούσας τὰς ψυχὰς αὐτῶν Jdt 7:27
For it is better for us to be made a spoil for them than to die of thirst; for we will be his servants, so that our souls may live and we will not see the death of our infants before our eyes, nor the dying of our wives or our children.
- - - 28 Jdt 7:28 28 μαρτυρόμεθα ὑμῖν τὸν οὐρανὸν καὶ τὴν γῆν καὶ τὸν θεὸν ἡμῶν καὶ κύριον τῶν πατέρων ἡμῶν ὃς ἐκδικεῖ ἡμᾶς κατὰ τὰς ἁμαρτίας ἡμῶν καὶ κατὰ τὰ ἁμαρτήματα τῶν πατέρων ἡμῶν ἵνα μὴ ποιήσῃ κατὰ τὰ ῥήματα ταῦτα ἐν τῇ ἡμέρᾳ τῇ σήμερον Jdt 7:28
We present as witness against you: the heaven and the earth, and our God and Lord of our fathers, who punishes us according to our sins and the sins of our fathers, so that he will not allow what we have described to happen on this day.”
- - - 29 Jdt 7:29 29 καὶ ἐγένετο κλαυθμὸς μέγας ἐν μέσῳ τῆς ἐκκλησίας πάντων ὁμοθυμαδόν καὶ ἐβόησαν πρὸς κύριον τὸν θεὸν φωνῇ μεγάλῃ Jdt 7:29
¶Then there was great weeping in the midst of the assembly, all with one consent; and they cried to the Lord God with a loud voice.
- - - 30 Jdt 7:30 30 καὶ εἶπεν πρὸς αὐτοὺς Οζιας θαρσεῖτε ἀδελφοί διακαρτερήσωμεν ἔτι πέντε ἡμέρας ἐν αἷς ἐπιστρέψει κύριος ὁ θεὸς ἡμῶν τὸ ἔλεος αὐτοῦ ἐφ’ ἡμᾶς οὐ γὰρ ἐγκαταλείψει ἡμᾶς εἰς τέλος Jdt 7:30
Then Uzziah said to them, “Brethren, be courageous. Let us endure yet five days, in that period of time the Lord our God may turn his mercy toward us, for he will not forsake us utterly.
- - - 31 Jdt 7:31 31 ἐὰν δὲ διέλθωσιν αὗται καὶ μὴ ἔλθῃ ἐφ’ ἡμᾶς βοήθεια ποιήσω κατὰ τὰ ῥήματα ὑμῶν Jdt 7:31
And if these days pass and no help comes to us, I will do according to your word.”
- - - 32 Jdt 7:32 32 καὶ ἐσκόρπισεν τὸν λαὸν εἰς τὴν ἑαυτοῦ παρεμβολήν καὶ ἐπὶ τὰ τείχη καὶ τοὺς πύργους τῆς πόλεως αὐτῶν ἀπῆλθον καὶ τὰς γυναῖκας καὶ τὰ τέκνα εἰς τοὺς οἴκους αὐτῶν ἀπέστειλαν καὶ ἦσαν ἐν ταπεινώσει πολλῇ ἐν τῇ πόλει Jdt 7:32
And he dispersed the people, each to their own posts; and they went to the walls and towers of their city, and sent the women and children into their houses; and they were brought very low in the city.
- - -
Match Diacritics KEYMAP Wildcard