CATSS LXX Wiki Latin Translation LXX / Vulgata Clementina Westminster Leningrad Codex Wiki Latin Translation HB / Vulgata Clementina 1 Jdt 8:1 1 καὶ ἤκουσεν ἐν ἐκείναις ταῖς ἡμέραις Ιουδιθ θυγάτηρ Μεραρι υἱοῦ Ωξ υἱοῦ Ιωσηφ υἱοῦ Οζιηλ υἱοῦ Ελκια υἱοῦ Ανανιου υἱοῦ Γεδεων υἱοῦ Ραφαϊν υἱοῦ Αχιτωβ υἱοῦ Ηλιου υἱοῦ Χελκιου υἱοῦ Ελιαβ υἱοῦ Ναθαναηλ υἱοῦ Σαλαμιηλ υἱοῦ Σαρασαδαι υἱοῦ Ισραηλ Jdt 8:1
¶Now at that time Judith heard about this; she was the daughter of Merari, the son of Ox, the son of Joseph, the son of Ozel, the son of Elcia, the son of Ananiah, the son of Gedeon, the son of Raphaim, the son of Acitho, the son of Eliu, the son of Eliab, the son of Nathanael, the son of Samael, the son of Salasadal, the son of Israel.
- - - 2 Jdt 8:2 2 καὶ ὁ ἀνὴρ αὐτῆς Μανασσης τῆς φυλῆς αὐτῆς καὶ τῆς πατριᾶς αὐτῆς καὶ ἀπέθανεν ἐν ἡμέραις θερισμοῦ κριθῶν Jdt 8:2
And Manasseh was her husband, of her tribe and kindred, who died during the barley harvest.
- - - 3 Jdt 8:3 3 ἐπέστη γὰρ ἐπὶ τοὺς δεσμεύοντας τὰ δράγματα ἐν τῷ πεδίῳ καὶ ὁ καύσων ἦλθεν ἐπὶ τὴν κεφαλὴν αὐτοῦ καὶ ἔπεσεν ἐπὶ τὴν κλίνην αὐτοῦ καὶ ἐτελεύτησεν ἐν Βαιτυλουα τῇ πόλει αὐτοῦ καὶ ἔθαψαν αὐτὸν μετὰ τῶν πατέρων αὐτοῦ ἐν τῷ ἀγρῷ τῷ ἀνὰ μέσον Δωθαϊμ καὶ Βαλαμων Jdt 8:3
For as he stood overseeing those who bound sheaves in the field, the heat affected his head, and he fell on his bed, and died in the city of Bethulia; and they buried him with his fathers in the field between Dothaim and Balamo.
- - - 4 Jdt 8:4 4 καὶ ἦν Ιουδιθ ἐν τῷ οἴκῳ αὐτῆς χηρεύουσα ἔτη τρία καὶ μῆνας τέσσαρας Jdt 8:4
So Judith was a widow in her house three years and four months.
- - - 5 Jdt 8:5 5 καὶ ἐποίησεν ἑαυτῇ σκηνὴν ἐπὶ τοῦ δώματος τοῦ οἴκου αὐτῆς καὶ ἐπέθηκεν ἐπὶ τὴν ὀσφὺν αὐτῆς σάκκον καὶ ἦν ἐπ’ αὐτῆς τὰ ἱμάτια τῆς χηρεύσεως αὐτῆς Jdt 8:5
And she made her a tent on the top of her house; and she put sackcloth on her loins and wore her widow’s clothing.
- - - 6 Jdt 8:6 6 καὶ ἐνήστευε πάσας τὰς ἡμέρας τῆς χηρεύσεως αὐτῆς χωρὶς προσαββάτων καὶ σαββάτων καὶ προνουμηνιῶν καὶ νουμηνιῶν καὶ ἑορτῶν καὶ χαρμοσυνῶν οἴκου Ισραηλ Jdt 8:6
And she fasted all the days of her widowhood, except for the eves of the sabbaths and the sabbaths, and the eves of the new moons and the new moons, and the feasts and solemn days of the house of Israel.
- - - 7 Jdt 8:7 7 καὶ ἦν καλὴ τῷ εἴδει καὶ ὡραία τῇ ὄψει σφόδρα καὶ ὑπελίπετο αὐτῇ Μανασσης ὁ ἀνὴρ αὐτῆς χρυσίον καὶ ἀργύριον καὶ παῖδας καὶ παιδίσκας καὶ κτήνη καὶ ἀγρούς καὶ ἔμενεν ἐπ’ αὐτῶν Jdt 8:7
She also had a graceful temperament and was very beautiful to behold. And her husband Manasseh had left her gold and silver, and menservants and maidservants, and cattle and lands, and she remained with them.
- - - 8 Jdt 8:8 8 καὶ οὐκ ἦν ὃς ἐπήνεγκεν αὐτῇ ῥῆμα πονηρόν ὅτι ἐφοβεῖτο τὸν θεὸν σφόδρα Jdt 8:8
And there was no one who spoke an ill word about her, for she feared God greatly.
- - - 9 Jdt 8:9 9 καὶ ἤκουσεν τὰ ῥήματα τοῦ λαοῦ τὰ πονηρὰ ἐπὶ τὸν ἄρχοντα ὅτι ὠλιγοψύχησαν ἐν τῇ σπάνει τῶν ὑδάτων καὶ ἤκουσεν πάντας τοὺς λόγους Ιουδιθ οὓς ἐλάλησεν πρὸς αὐτοὺς Οζιας ὡς ὤμοσεν αὐτοῖς παραδώσειν τὴν πόλιν μετὰ ἡμέρας πέντε τοῖς Ἀσσυρίοις Jdt 8:9
¶Now she heard the evil words of the people against the governor and that they fainted for lack of water; for Judith had heard all the words that Uzziah had spoken to them and that he had sworn to deliver the city to the Assyrians after five days.
- - - 10 Jdt 8:10 10 καὶ ἀποστείλασα τὴν ἅβραν αὐτῆς τὴν ἐφεστῶσαν πᾶσιν τοῖς ὑπάρχουσιν αὐτῆς ἐκάλεσεν Χαβριν καὶ Χαρμιν τοὺς πρεσβυτέρους τῆς πόλεως αὐτῆς Jdt 8:10
So then she sent her woman servant, who was in charge of everything that she had, to call Uzziah and Chabris and Charmis, the elders of the city.
- - - 11 Jdt 8:11 11 καὶ ἦλθον πρὸς αὐτήν καὶ εἶπεν πρὸς αὐτούς ἀκούσατε δή μου ἄρχοντες τῶν κατοικούντων ἐν Βαιτυλουα ὅτι οὐκ εὐθὴς ὁ λόγος ὑμῶν ὃν ἐλαλήσατε ἐναντίον τοῦ λαοῦ ἐν τῇ ἡμέρᾳ ταύτῃ καὶ ἐστήσατε τὸν ὅρκον τοῦτον ὃν ἐλαλήσατε ἀνὰ μέσον τοῦ θεοῦ καὶ ὑμῶν καὶ εἴπατε ἐκδώσειν τὴν πόλιν τοῖς ἐχθροῖς ἡμῶν ἐὰν μὴ ἐν αὐταῖς ἐπιστρέψῃ κύριος βοήθειαν ὑμῖν Jdt 8:11
And they came to her, and she said to them, “Hear me now, you governors of the inhabitants of Bethulia; for your words which you spoke before the people this day are not right, concerning this oath which you made and pronounced between God and yourselves, and your promise to deliver the city to our enemies, unless within these days the Lord turns to help you.
- - - 12 Jdt 8:12 12 καὶ νῦν τίνες ἐστὲ ὑμεῖς οἳ ἐπειράσατε τὸν θεὸν ἐν τῇ ἡμέρᾳ τῇ σήμερον καὶ ἵστατε ὑπὲρ τοῦ θεοῦ ἐν μέσῳ υἱῶν ἀνθρώπων Jdt 8:12
And now who are you to have tempted God this day, and to stand among the children of men instead of God?
- - - 13 Jdt 8:13 13 καὶ νῦν κύριον παντοκράτορα ἐξετάζετε καὶ οὐθὲν ἐπιγνώσεσθε ἕως τοῦ αἰῶνος Jdt 8:13
And now test the Lord Almighty, but you will never know anything.
- - - 14 Jdt 8:14 14 ὅτι βάθος καρδίας ἀνθρώπου οὐχ εὑρήσετε καὶ λόγους τῆς διανοίας αὐτοῦ οὐ διαλήμψεσθε καὶ πῶς τὸν θεόν ὃς ἐποίησεν πάντα ταῦτα ἐρευνήσετε καὶ τὸν νοῦν αὐτοῦ ἐπιγνώσεσθε καὶ τὸν λογισμὸν αὐτοῦ κατανοήσετε μηδαμῶς ἀδελφοί μὴ παροργίζετε κύριον τὸν θεὸν ἡμῶν Jdt 8:14
For you cannot find the depth of the heart of man, neither can you perceive the things which he thinks; so then how can you search out God, who has made all these things, and know his mind or comprehend his purpose? No, my brethren, do not provoke the Lord our God to anger.
- - - 15 Jdt 8:15 15 ὅτι ἐὰν μὴ βούληται ἐν ταῖς πέντε ἡμέραις βοηθῆσαι ἡμῖν αὐτὸς ἔχει τὴν ἐξουσίαν ἐν αἷς θέλει σκεπάσαι ἡμέραις ἢ καὶ ὀλεθρεῦσαι ἡμᾶς πρὸ προσώπου τῶν ἐχθρῶν ἡμῶν Jdt 8:15
¶“For if he will not help us within these five days, he has power to defend us when he will, even every day, or to destroy us before our enemies.
- - - 16 Jdt 8:16 16 ὑμεῖς δὲ μὴ ἐνεχυράζετε τὰς βουλὰς κυρίου τοῦ θεοῦ ἡμῶν ὅτι οὐχ ὡς ἄνθρωπος ὁ θεὸς ἀπειληθῆναι οὐδ’ ὡς υἱὸς ἀνθρώπου διαιτηθῆναι Jdt 8:16
Do not bind the plans of the Lord our God; for God is not like man as if he could be threatened; neither is he like the son of man so that he would be wavering.
- - - 17 Jdt 8:17 17 διόπερ ἀναμένοντες τὴν παρ’ αὐτοῦ σωτηρίαν ἐπικαλεσώμεθα αὐτὸν εἰς βοήθειαν ἡμῶν καὶ εἰσακούσεται τῆς φωνῆς ἡμῶν ἐὰν ᾖ αὐτῷ ἀρεστόν Jdt 8:17
Therefore let us wait for salvation from him and call upon him to help us, and he will hear our voice, if it pleases him.
- - - 18 Jdt 8:18 18 ὅτι οὐκ ἀνέστη ἐν ταῖς γενεαῖς ἡμῶν οὐδέ ἐστιν ἐν τῇ ἡμέρᾳ τῇ σήμερον οὔτε φυλὴ οὔτε πατριὰ οὔτε δῆμος οὔτε πόλις ἐξ ἡμῶν οἳ προσκυνοῦσι θεοῖς χειροποιήτοις καθάπερ ἐγένετο ἐν ταῖς πρότερον ἡμέραις Jdt 8:18
For there arose none in our age, neither is there any now in these days, neither tribe, nor family, nor people, nor city among us, who worship gods made with hands, as has happened in past times.
- - - 19 Jdt 8:19 19 ὧν χάριν ἐδόθησαν εἰς ῥομφαίαν καὶ εἰς διαρπαγὴν οἱ πατέρες ἡμῶν καὶ ἔπεσον πτῶμα μέγα ἐνώπιον τῶν ἐχθρῶν ἡμῶν Jdt 8:19
For this reason our fathers were given to the sword and as a spoil and had a great fall before our enemies.
- - - 20 Jdt 8:20 20 ἡμεῖς δὲ ἕτερον θεὸν οὐκ ἔγνωμεν πλὴν αὐτοῦ ὅθεν ἐλπίζομεν ὅτι οὐχ ὑπερόψεται ἡμᾶς οὐδ’ ἀπὸ τοῦ γένους ἡμῶν Jdt 8:20
But we know no other God, therefore we trust that he will not despise us, nor any of our nation.
- - - 21 Jdt 8:21 21 ὅτι ἐν τῷ λημφθῆναι ἡμᾶς οὕτως καὶ λημφθήσεται πᾶσα ἡ Ιουδαία καὶ προνομευθήσεται τὰ ἅγια ἡμῶν καὶ ἐκζητήσει τὴν βεβήλωσιν αὐτῶν ἐκ τοῦ αἵματος ἡμῶν Jdt 8:21
¶“For if we are overcome, then all Judea will lie waste and our sanctuary will be pillaged; and he will place the blame for the profanation of it at our mouth;
- - - 22 Jdt 8:22 22 καὶ τὸν φόνον τῶν ἀδελφῶν ἡμῶν καὶ τὴν αἰχμαλωσίαν τῆς γῆς καὶ τὴν ἐρήμωσιν τῆς κληρονομίας ἡμῶν ἐπιστρέψει εἰς κεφαλὴν ἡμῶν ἐν τοῖς ἔθνεσιν οὗ ἐὰν δουλεύσωμεν ἐκεῖ καὶ ἐσόμεθα εἰς πρόσκομμα καὶ εἰς ὄνειδος ἐναντίον τῶν κτωμένων ἡμᾶς Jdt 8:22
and the slaughter of our brethren and the captivity of the country and the desolation of our inheritance, he will blame on our heads among the Gentiles, wherever we will be in captivity; and we will be an offence and a reproach to all those who possess us.
- - - 23 Jdt 8:23 23 ὅτι οὐ κατευθυνθήσεται ἡ δουλεία ἡμῶν εἰς χάριν ἀλλ’ εἰς ἀτιμίαν θήσει αὐτὴν κύριος ὁ θεὸς ἡμῶν Jdt 8:23
For our servitude will not be directed towards our benefit, but the Lord our God will turn it to our dishonor.
- - - 24 Jdt 8:24 24 καὶ νῦν ἀδελφοί ἐπιδειξώμεθα τοῖς ἀδελφοῖς ἡμῶν ὅτι ἐξ ἡμῶν κρέμαται ἡ ψυχὴ αὐτῶν καὶ τὰ ἅγια καὶ ὁ οἶκος καὶ τὸ θυσιαστήριον ἐπεστήρισται ἐφ’ ἡμῖν Jdt 8:24
Now therefore, O brethren, let us show an example to our brethren, because their hearts depend on us, and the sanctuary and the house and the altar rest on us.
- - - 25 Jdt 8:25 25 παρὰ ταῦτα πάντα εὐχαριστήσωμεν κυρίῳ τῷ θεῷ ἡμῶν ὃς πειράζει ἡμᾶς καθὰ καὶ τοὺς πατέρας ἡμῶν Jdt 8:25
Moreover, let us give thanks to the Lord our God, who tests us, even as he did our fathers.
- - - 26 Jdt 8:26 26 μνήσθητε ὅσα ἐποίησεν μετὰ Αβρααμ καὶ ὅσα ἐπείρασεν τὸν Ισαακ καὶ ὅσα ἐγένετο τῷ Ιακωβ ἐν Μεσοποταμίᾳ τῆς Συρίας ποιμαίνοντι τὰ πρόβατα Λαβαν τοῦ ἀδελφοῦ τῆς μητρὸς αὐτοῦ Jdt 8:26
Remember the things he did to Abraham, and how he tested Isaac, and what happened to Jacob in Mesopotamia of Syria, when he kept the sheep of Laban his mother’s brother.
- - - 27 Jdt 8:27 27 ὅτι οὐ καθὼς ἐκείνους ἐπύρωσεν εἰς ἐτασμὸν τῆς καρδίας αὐτῶν καὶ ἡμᾶς οὐκ ἐξεδίκησεν ἀλλ’ εἰς νουθέτησιν μαστιγοῖ κύριος τοὺς ἐγγίζοντας αὐτῷ Jdt 8:27
For he has not tested us in the fire, as he did them for the examination of their hearts, neither has he taken vengeance on us; but the Lord does scourge those who come near to him, to admonish them.”
- - - 28 Jdt 8:28 28 καὶ εἶπεν πρὸς αὐτὴν Οζιας πάντα ὅσα εἶπας ἐν ἀγαθῇ καρδίᾳ ἐλάλησας καὶ οὐκ ἔστιν ὃς ἀντιστήσεται τοῖς λόγοις σου Jdt 8:28
¶Then Uzziah said to her, “All that you have spoken, you have spoken with a good heart and there is no one who can refute your words.
- - - 29 Jdt 8:29 29 ὅτι οὐκ ἐν τῇ σήμερον ἡ σοφία σου πρόδηλός ἐστιν ἀλλ’ ἀπ’ ἀρχῆς ἡμερῶν σου ἔγνω πᾶς ὁ λαὸς τὴν σύνεσίν σου καθότι ἀγαθόν ἐστιν τὸ πλάσμα τῆς καρδίας σου Jdt 8:29
For this is not the first day that your wisdom has been manifested; but from the beginning of your days all the people have known your understanding, because the disposition of your heart has been good.
- - - 30 Jdt 8:30 30 ἀλλὰ ὁ λαὸς δεδίψηκεν σφόδρα καὶ ἠνάγκασαν ἡμᾶς ποιῆσαι καθὰ ἐλαλήσαμεν αὐτοῖς καὶ ἐπαγαγεῖν ἐφ’ ἡμᾶς ὅρκον ὃν οὐ παραβησόμεθα Jdt 8:30
But the people were very thirsty; and they compelled us to do to them as we have spoken and to bring an oath on ourselves, which we will not break.
- - - 31 Jdt 8:31 31 καὶ νῦν δεήθητι περὶ ἡμῶν ὅτι γυνὴ εὐσεβὴς εἶ καὶ ἀποστελεῖ κύριος τὸν ὑετὸν εἰς πλήρωσιν τῶν λάκκων ἡμῶν καὶ οὐκ ἐκλείψομεν ἔτι Jdt 8:31
Now therefore pray for us, because you are a godly woman, and then the Lord will send us rain to fill our cisterns and we will faint no more.”
- - - 32 Jdt 8:32 32 καὶ εἶπεν πρὸς αὐτοὺς Ιουδιθ ἀκούσατέ μου καὶ ποιήσω πρᾶγμα ὃ ἀφίξεται εἰς γενεὰς γενεῶν υἱοῖς τοῦ γένους ἡμῶν Jdt 8:32
¶Then Judith said to them, “Listen to me and I will do something which will be remembered throughout all generations among the children of our nation.
- - - 33 Jdt 8:33 33 ὑμεῖς στήσεσθε ἐπὶ τῆς πύλης τὴν νύκτα ταύτην καὶ ἐξελεύσομαι ἐγὼ μετὰ τῆς ἅβρας μου καὶ ἐν ταῖς ἡμέραις μεθ’ ἃς εἴπατε παραδώσειν τὴν πόλιν τοῖς ἐχθροῖς ἡμῶν ἐπισκέψεται κύριος τὸν Ισραηλ ἐν χειρί μου Jdt 8:33
You will watch this night at the gate, and I will go forth with my woman servant; and, within the days that you have promised to deliver the city to our enemies, the Lord will visit Israel by my hand.
- - - 34 Jdt 8:34 34 ὑμεῖς δὲ οὐκ ἐξερευνήσετε τὴν πρᾶξίν μου οὐ γὰρ ἐρῶ ὑμῖν ἕως τοῦ τελεσθῆναι ἃ ἐγὼ ποιῶ Jdt 8:34
But do not ask me what I will do, for I will not reveal it to you until the things that I do are completed.”
- - - 35 Jdt 8:35 35 καὶ εἶπεν Οζιας καὶ οἱ ἄρχοντες πρὸς αὐτήν πορεύου εἰς εἰρήνην καὶ κύριος ὁ θεὸς ἔμπροσθέν σου εἰς ἐκδίκησιν τῶν ἐχθρῶν ἡμῶν Jdt 8:35
Then Uzziah and the princes said to her, “Go in peace, and may the Lord God go before you to take vengeance on our enemies.”
- - - 36 Jdt 8:36 36 καὶ ἀποστρέψαντες ἐκ τῆς σκηνῆς ἐπορεύθησαν ἐπὶ τὰς διατάξεις αὐτῶν Jdt 8:36
So they returned from the tent and went to their posts.
- - -
Match Diacritics KEYMAP Wildcard