Σοφία Σιρὰχ Wisdom of Sirach
CATSS LXX Wiki Latin Translation LXX / Vulgata Clementina Westminster Leningrad Codex Wiki Latin Translation HB / Vulgata Clementina 1 Sir 23:1 1 κύριε πάτερ καὶ δέσποτα ζωῆς μου μὴ ἐγκαταλίπῃς με ἐν βουλῇ αὐτῶν μὴ ἀφῇς με πεσεῖν ἐν αὐτοῖς Sir 23:1
O Lord, Father and Master of my life, don’t abandon me to their counsel. Don’t let me fall because of them.
- - - 2 Sir 23:2 2 τίς ἐπιστήσει ἐπὶ τοῦ διανοήματός μου μάστιγας καὶ ἐπὶ τῆς καρδίας μου παιδείαν σοφίας ἵνα ἐπὶ τοῖς ἀγνοήμασίν μου μὴ φείσωνται καὶ οὐ μὴ παρῇ τὰ ἁμαρτήματα αὐτῶν Sir 23:2
Who will set scourges over my thought, and a discipline of wisdom over my heart, that they spare me not for my errors, and not overlook their sins?
- - - 3 Sir 23:3 3 ὅπως μὴ πληθυνθῶσιν αἱ ἄγνοιαί μου καὶ αἱ ἁμαρτίαι μου πλεονάσωσιν καὶ πεσοῦμαι ἔναντι τῶν ὑπεναντίων καὶ ἐπιχαρεῖταί μοι ὁ ἐχθρός μου Sir 23:3
Otherwise my errors might be multiplied, and my sins abound, I fall before my adversaries, and my enemy rejoice over me.
* - - - 4 Sir 23:4 4 κύριε πάτερ καὶ θεὲ ζωῆς μου μετεωρισμὸν ὀφθαλμῶν μὴ δῷς μοι Sir 23:4
O Lord, Father and God of my life, don’t give me a haughty eyes,
* - - - 5 Sir 23:5 5 καὶ ἐπιθυμίαν ἀπόστρεψον ἀπ’ ἐμοῦ Sir 23:5
and turn away evil desire from me.
* - - - 6 Sir 23:6 6 κοιλίας ὄρεξις καὶ συνουσιασμὸς μὴ καταλαβέτωσάν με καὶ ψυχῇ ἀναιδεῖ μὴ παραδῷς με Sir 23:6
Let neither gluttony nor lust overtake me. Don’t give me over to a shameless mind.
- - - 7 Sir 23:7 7 παιδείαν στόματος ἀκούσατε τέκνα καὶ ὁ φυλάσσων οὐ μὴ ἁλῷ Sir 23:7
Listen, my children, to the discipline of the mouth. He who keeps it will not be caught.
- - - 8 Sir 23:8 8 ἐν τοῖς χείλεσιν αὐτοῦ καταληφθήσεται ἁμαρτωλός καὶ λοίδορος καὶ ὑπερήφανος σκανδαλισθήσονται ἐν αὐτοῖς Sir 23:8
The sinner will be overpowered through his lips. By them, the insulter and the arrogant will stumble.
- - - 9 Sir 23:9 9 ὅρκῳ μὴ ἐθίσῃς τὸ στόμα σου καὶ ὀνομασίᾳ τοῦ ἁγίου μὴ συνεθισθῇς Sir 23:9
Don’t accustom your mouth to an oath, and don’t be accustomed to naming the Holy One,
- - - 10 Sir 23:10 10 ὥσπερ γὰρ οἰκέτης ἐξεταζόμενος ἐνδελεχῶς ἀπὸ μώλωπος οὐκ ἐλαττωθήσεται οὕτως καὶ ὁ ὀμνύων καὶ ὀνομάζων διὰ παντὸς ἀπὸ ἁμαρτίας οὐ μὴ καθαρισθῇ Sir 23:10
for as a servant who is continually scourged will not lack bruises, so he also who swears and continually utters the Name will not be cleansed from sin.
- - - 11 Sir 23:11 11 ἀνὴρ πολύορκος πλησθήσεται ἀνομίας καὶ οὐκ ἀποστήσεται ἀπὸ τοῦ οἴκου αὐτοῦ μάστιξ ἐὰν πλημμελήσῃ ἁμαρτία αὐτοῦ ἐπ’ αὐτῷ κἂν ὑπερίδῃ ἥμαρτεν δισσῶς καὶ εἰ διὰ κενῆς ὤμοσεν οὐ δικαιωθήσεται πλησθήσεται γὰρ ἐπαγωγῶν ὁ οἶκος αὐτοῦ Sir 23:11
A man of many oaths will be filled with iniquity. The scourge will not depart from his house. If he offends, his sin will be upon him. If he disregards it, he has sinned doubly. If he has sworn falsely, he will not be justified, for his house will be filled with calamities.
- - - 12 Sir 23:12 12 ἔστιν λέξις ἀντιπαραβεβλημένη θανάτῳ μὴ εὑρεθήτω ἐν κληρονομίᾳ Ιακωβ ἀπὸ γὰρ εὐσεβῶν ταῦτα πάντα ἀποστήσεται καὶ ἐν ἁμαρτίαις οὐκ ἐγκυλισθήσονται Sir 23:12
There is a manner of speech that is clothed with death. Let it not be found in the heritage of Jacob, for all these things will be far from the godly, and they will not wallow in sins.
- - - 13 Sir 23:13 13 ἀπαιδευσίαν ἀσυρῆ μὴ συνεθίσῃς τὸ στόμα σου ἔστιν γὰρ ἐν αὐτῇ λόγος ἁμαρτίας Sir 23:13
Don’t accustom your mouth to gross rudeness, for it involves sinful speech.
- - - 14 Sir 23:14 14 μνήσθητι πατρὸς καὶ μητρός σου ἀνὰ μέσον γὰρ μεγιστάνων συνεδρεύεις μήποτε ἐπιλάθῃ ἐνώπιον αὐτῶν καὶ τῷ ἐθισμῷ σου μωρανθῇς καὶ θελήσεις εἰ μὴ ἐγεννήθης καὶ τὴν ἡμέραν τοῦ τοκετοῦ σου καταράσῃ Sir 23:14
Remember your father and your mother, for you sit in the midst of great men, that you be not forgetful before them, and become a fool by your bad habit; so you may wish that you had not been born, and curse the day of your birth.
- - - 15 Sir 23:15 15 ἄνθρωπος συνεθιζόμενος λόγοις ὀνειδισμοῦ ἐν πάσαις ταῖς ἡμέραις αὐτοῦ οὐ μὴ παιδευθῇ Sir 23:15
A man who is accustomed to abusive language won’t be corrected all the days of his life.
- - - 16 Sir 23:16 16 δύο εἴδη πληθύνουσιν ἁμαρτίας καὶ τὸ τρίτον ἐπάξει ὀργήν Sir 23:16
Two sorts of people multiply sins, and the third will bring wrath: a hot passion, like a burning fire, will not be quenched until it is consumed; a fornicator in the body of his flesh will never cease until he has burned out the fire.
- - - 17 Sir 23:17 17 ψυχὴ θερμὴ ὡς πῦρ καιόμενον οὐ μὴ σβεσθῇ ἕως ἂν καταποθῇ ἄνθρωπος πόρνος ἐν σώματι σαρκὸς αὐτοῦ οὐ μὴ παύσηται ἕως ἂν ἐκκαύσῃ πῦρ ἀνθρώπῳ πόρνῳ πᾶς ἄρτος ἡδύς οὐ μὴ κοπάσῃ ἕως ἂν τελευτήσῃ Sir 23:17
All bread is sweet to a fornicator. He will not cease until he dies.
- - - 18 Sir 23:18 18 ἄνθρωπος παραβαίνων ἀπὸ τῆς κλίνης αὐτοῦ λέγων ἐν τῇ ψυχῇ αὐτοῦ τίς με ὁρᾷ σκότος κύκλῳ μου καὶ οἱ τοῖχοί με καλύπτουσιν καὶ οὐθείς με ὁρᾷ τί εὐλαβοῦμαι τῶν ἁμαρτιῶν μου οὐ μὴ μνησθήσεται ὁ ὕψιστος Sir 23:18
A man who goes astray from his own marriage bed says in his heart, “Who sees me? Darkness is around me, and the walls hide me. No one sees me. Of whom am I afraid? The Most High will not remember my sins.”
- - - 19 Sir 23:19 19 καὶ ὀφθαλμοὶ ἀνθρώπων ὁ φόβος αὐτοῦ καὶ οὐκ ἔγνω ὅτι ὀφθαλμοὶ κυρίου μυριοπλασίως ἡλίου φωτεινότεροι ἐπιβλέποντες πάσας ὁδοὺς ἀνθρώπων καὶ κατανοοῦντες εἰς ἀπόκρυφα μέρη Sir 23:19
The eyes of men are his terror. He doesn’t know that the eyes of the Lord are ten thousand times brighter than the sun, seeing all the ways of men, and looking into secret places.
- - - 20 Sir 23:20 20 πρὶν ἢ κτισθῆναι τὰ πάντα ἔγνωσται αὐτῷ οὕτως καὶ μετὰ τὸ συντελεσθῆναι Sir 23:20
All things were known to him before they were created, and also after they were completed.
- - - 21 Sir 23:21 21 οὗτος ἐν πλατείαις πόλεως ἐκδικηθήσεται καὶ οὗ οὐχ ὑπενόησεν πιασθήσεται Sir 23:21
This man will be punished in the streets of the city. He will be seized where he least expects it.
- - - 22 Sir 23:22 22 οὕτως καὶ γυνὴ καταλιποῦσα τὸν ἄνδρα καὶ παριστῶσα κληρονόμον ἐξ ἀλλοτρίου Sir 23:22
So also is a wife who leaves her husband, and produces an heir by another man.
- - - 23 Sir 23:23 23 πρῶτον μὲν γὰρ ἐν νόμῳ ὑψίστου ἠπείθησεν καὶ δεύτερον εἰς ἄνδρα αὐτῆς ἐπλημμέλησεν καὶ τὸ τρίτον ἐν πορνείᾳ ἐμοιχεύθη καὶ ἐξ ἀλλοτρίου ἀνδρὸς τέκνα παρέστησεν Sir 23:23
For first, she was disobedient in the law of the Most High. Second, she trespassed against her own husband. Third, she played the adulteress in fornication, and had children by another man.
- - - 24 Sir 23:24 24 αὕτη εἰς ἐκκλησίαν ἐξαχθήσεται καὶ ἐπὶ τὰ τέκνα αὐτῆς ἐπισκοπὴ ἔσται Sir 23:24
She shall be brought out into the congregation. Her punishment will extend to her children.
- - - 25 Sir 23:25 25 οὐ διαδώσουσιν τὰ τέκνα αὐτῆς εἰς ῥίζαν καὶ οἱ κλάδοι αὐτῆς οὐκ οἴσουσιν καρπόν Sir 23:25
Her children will not take root. Her branches will bear no fruit.
- - - 26 Sir 23:26 26 καταλείψει εἰς κατάραν τὸ μνημόσυνον αὐτῆς καὶ τὸ ὄνειδος αὐτῆς οὐκ ἐξαλειφθήσεται Sir 23:26
She will leave her memory for a curse. Her reproach won’t be blotted out.
- - - 27 Sir 23:27 27 καὶ ἐπιγνώσονται οἱ καταλειφθέντες ὅτι οὐθὲν κρεῖττον φόβου κυρίου καὶ οὐθὲν γλυκύτερον τοῦ προσέχειν ἐντολαῖς κυρίου Sir 23:27
And those who are left behind will know that there is nothing better than the fear of the Lord, and nothing sweeter than to heed the commandments of the Lord.
- - -
Match Diacritics KEYMAP Wildcard