Σοφία Σιρὰχ Wisdom of Sirach
CATSS LXX Wiki Latin Translation LXX / Vulgata Clementina Westminster Leningrad Codex Wiki Latin Translation HB / Vulgata Clementina 1 Sir 28:1 1 ὁ ἐκδικῶν παρὰ κυρίου εὑρήσει ἐκδίκησιν καὶ τὰς ἁμαρτίας αὐτοῦ διατηρῶν διατηρήσει Sir 28:1
He who takes vengeance will find vengeance from the Lord, and he will surely make his sins firm.
- - - 2 Sir 28:2 2 ἄφες ἀδίκημα τῷ πλησίον σου καὶ τότε δεηθέντος σου αἱ ἁμαρτίαι σου λυθήσονται Sir 28:2
Forgive your neighbor the hurt that he has done, and then your sins will be pardoned when you pray.
- - - 3 Sir 28:3 3 ἄνθρωπος ἀνθρώπῳ συντηρεῖ ὀργήν καὶ παρὰ κυρίου ζητεῖ ἴασιν Sir 28:3
Does anyone harbor anger against another and expect healing from the Lord?
- - - 4 Sir 28:4 4 ἐπ’ ἄνθρωπον ὅμοιον αὐτῷ οὐκ ἔχει ἔλεος καὶ περὶ τῶν ἁμαρτιῶν αὐτοῦ δεῖται Sir 28:4
Upon a man like himself he has no mercy, and does he make supplication for his own sins?
- - - 5 Sir 28:5 5 αὐτὸς σὰρξ ὢν διατηρεῖ μῆνιν τίς ἐξιλάσεται τὰς ἁμαρτίας αὐτοῦ Sir 28:5
He himself, being flesh, nourishes wrath. Who will make atonement for his sins?
- - - 6 Sir 28:6 6 μνήσθητι τὰ ἔσχατα καὶ παῦσαι ἐχθραίνων καταφθορὰν καὶ θάνατον καὶ ἔμμενε ἐντολαῖς Sir 28:6
Remember your last end, and stop enmity. Remember corruption and death, and be true to the commandments.
- - - 7 Sir 28:7 7 μνήσθητι ἐντολῶν καὶ μὴ μηνίσῃς τῷ πλησίον καὶ διαθήκην ὑψίστου καὶ πάριδε ἄγνοιαν Sir 28:7
Remember the commandments, and don’t be angry with your neighbor. Remember the covenant of the Highest, and overlook ignorance.
- - - 8 Sir 28:8 8 ἀπόσχου ἀπὸ μάχης καὶ ἐλαττώσεις ἁμαρτίας ἄνθρωπος γὰρ θυμώδης ἐκκαύσει μάχην Sir 28:8
Abstain from strife, and you will diminish your sins, for a passionate man will kindle strife.
- - - 9 Sir 28:9 9 καὶ ἀνὴρ ἁμαρτωλὸς ταράξει φίλους καὶ ἀνὰ μέσον εἰρηνευόντων ἐμβαλεῖ διαβολήν Sir 28:9
A man who is a sinner will trouble friends and sow discord among those who are at peace.
- - - 10 Sir 28:10 10 κατὰ τὴν ὕλην τοῦ πυρὸς οὕτως ἐκκαυθήσεται καὶ κατὰ τὴν στερέωσιν τῆς μάχης ἐκκαυθήσεται κατὰ τὴν ἰσχὺν τοῦ ἀνθρώπου ὁ θυμὸς αὐτοῦ ἔσται καὶ κατὰ τὸν πλοῦτον ἀνυψώσει ὀργὴν αὐτοῦ Sir 28:10
As is the fuel of the fire, so it will burn; and as the stoutness of the strife is, so it will burn. As is the strength of the man, so will be his wrath; and as is his wealth, so he will exalt his anger.
- - - 11 Sir 28:11 11 ἔρις κατασπευδομένη ἐκκαίει πῦρ καὶ μάχη κατασπεύδουσα ἐκχέει αἷμα Sir 28:11
A contention begun in haste kindles a fire; and hasty fighting sheds blood.
- - - 12 Sir 28:12 12 ἐὰν φυσήσῃς εἰς σπινθῆρα ἐκκαήσεται καὶ ἐὰν πτύσῃς ἐπ’ αὐτόν σβεσθήσεται καὶ ἀμφότερα ἐκ τοῦ στόματός σου ἐκπορεύεται Sir 28:12
If you blow on a spark, it will burn; and if you spit upon it, it will be quenched. Both of these come out of your mouth.
- - - 13 Sir 28:13 13 ψίθυρον καὶ δίγλωσσον καταράσασθε πολλοὺς γὰρ εἰρηνεύοντας ἀπώλεσεν Sir 28:13
Curse the whisperer and double-tongued, for he has destroyed many who were at peace.
- - - 14 Sir 28:14 14 γλῶσσα τρίτη πολλοὺς ἐσάλευσεν καὶ διέστησεν αὐτοὺς ἀπὸ ἔθνους εἰς ἔθνος καὶ πόλεις ὀχυρὰς καθεῖλεν καὶ οἰκίας μεγιστάνων κατέστρεψεν Sir 28:14
A slanderer has shaken many, and dispersed them from nation to nation. It has pulled down strong cities and overthrown the houses of great men.
- - - 15 Sir 28:15 15 γλῶσσα τρίτη γυναῖκας ἀνδρείας ἐξέβαλεν καὶ ἐστέρεσεν αὐτὰς τῶν πόνων αὐτῶν Sir 28:15
A slanderer has cast out brave women and deprived them of their labors.
- - - 16 Sir 28:16 16 ὁ προσέχων αὐτῇ οὐ μὴ εὕρῃ ἀνάπαυσιν οὐδὲ κατασκηνώσει μεθ’ ἡσυχίας Sir 28:16
He who listens to it will not find rest, nor will he live quietly.
- - - 17 Sir 28:17 17 πληγὴ μάστιγος ποιεῖ μώλωπα πληγὴ δὲ γλώσσης συγκλάσει ὀστᾶ Sir 28:17
The stroke of a whip makes a mark in the flesh, but the stroke of a tongue will break bones.
- - - 18 Sir 28:18 18 πολλοὶ ἔπεσαν ἐν στόματι μαχαίρας καὶ οὐχ ὡς οἱ πεπτωκότες διὰ γλῶσσαν Sir 28:18
Many have fallen by the edge of the sword, yet not so many as those who have fallen because of the tongue.
- - - 19 Sir 28:19 19 μακάριος ὁ σκεπασθεὶς ἀπ’ αὐτῆς ὃς οὐ διῆλθεν ἐν τῷ θυμῷ αὐτῆς ὃς οὐχ εἵλκυσεν τὸν ζυγὸν αὐτῆς καὶ ἐν τοῖς δεσμοῖς αὐτῆς οὐκ ἐδέθη Sir 28:19
Happy is he who is sheltered from it, who has not passed through its wrath, who has not drawn its yoke, and has not been bound with its bands.
- - - 20 Sir 28:20 20 ὁ γὰρ ζυγὸς αὐτῆς ζυγὸς σιδηροῦς καὶ οἱ δεσμοὶ αὐτῆς δεσμοὶ χάλκειοι Sir 28:20
For its yoke is a yoke of iron, and its bands are bands of brass.
- - - 21 Sir 28:21 21 θάνατος πονηρὸς ὁ θάνατος αὐτῆς καὶ λυσιτελὴς μᾶλλον ὁ ᾅδης αὐτῆς Sir 28:21
Its death is an evil death, and Hades is better than it.
- - - 22 Sir 28:22 22 οὐ μὴ κρατήσῃ εὐσεβῶν καὶ ἐν τῇ φλογὶ αὐτῆς οὐ καήσονται Sir 28:22
It will not have rule over godly men. They will not be burned in its flame.
- - - 23 Sir 28:23 23 οἱ καταλείποντες κύριον ἐμπεσοῦνται εἰς αὐτήν καὶ ἐν αὐτοῖς ἐκκαήσεται καὶ οὐ μὴ σβεσθῇ ἐπαποσταλήσεται αὐτοῖς ὡς λέων καὶ ὡς πάρδαλις λυμανεῖται αὐτούς Sir 28:23
Those who forsake the Lord will fall into it. It will burn among them, and won’t be quenched. It will be sent against them like a lion. It will destroy them like a leopard.
- - - 24 Sir 28:24 24 ἰδὲ περίφραξον τὸ κτῆμά σου ἀκάνθαις τὸ ἀργύριόν σου καὶ τὸ χρυσίον κατάδησον Sir 28:24
As you hedge your possession about with thorns, and secure your silver and your gold,
- - - 25 Sir 28:25 25 καὶ τοῖς λόγοις σου ποίησον ζυγὸν καὶ σταθμὸν καὶ τῷ στόματί σου ποίησον θύραν καὶ μοχλόν Sir 28:25
so make a balance and a weight for your words, and make a door and a bar for your mouth.
- - - 26 Sir 28:26 26 πρόσεχε μήπως ὀλίσθῃς ἐν αὐτῇ μὴ πέσῃς κατέναντι ἐνεδρεύοντος Sir 28:26
Take heed lest you slip with it, lest you fall before one who lies in wait.
- - -
Match Diacritics KEYMAP Wildcard