Σοφία Σιρὰχ Wisdom of Sirach
CATSS LXX Wiki Latin Translation LXX / Vulgata Clementina Westminster Leningrad Codex Wiki Latin Translation HB / Vulgata Clementina 1 Sir 41:1 1 ὦ θάνατε ὡς πικρόν σου τὸ μνημόσυνόν ἐστιν ἀνθρώπῳ εἰρηνεύοντι ἐν τοῖς ὑπάρχουσιν αὐτοῦ ἀνδρὶ ἀπερισπάστῳ καὶ εὐοδουμένῳ ἐν πᾶσιν καὶ ἔτι ἰσχύοντι ἐπιδέξασθαι τροφήν Sir 41:1
O death, how bitter is the memory of you to a man who is at peace in his possessions, to the man who has nothing to distract him and has prosperity in all things, and who still has strength to enjoy food!
- - - 2 Sir 41:2 2 ὦ θάνατε καλόν σου τὸ κρίμα ἐστὶν ἀνθρώπῳ ἐπιδεομένῳ καὶ ἐλασσουμένῳ ἰσχύι ἐσχατογήρῳ καὶ περισπωμένῳ περὶ πάντων καὶ ἀπειθοῦντι καὶ ἀπολωλεκότι ὑπομονήν Sir 41:2
O death, your sentence is acceptable to a man who is needy and who fails in strength, who is in extreme old age, is distracted about all things, is perverse, and has lost patience!
- - - 3 Sir 41:3 3 μὴ εὐλαβοῦ κρίμα θανάτου μνήσθητι προτέρων σου καὶ ἐσχάτων Sir 41:3
Don’t be afraid of the sentence of death. Remember those who have been before you and who come after. This is the sentence from the Lord over all flesh.
- - - 4 Sir 41:4 4 τοῦτο τὸ κρίμα παρὰ κυρίου πάσῃ σαρκί καὶ τί ἀπαναίνῃ ἐν εὐδοκίᾳ ὑψίστου εἴτε δέκα εἴτε ἑκατὸν εἴτε χίλια ἔτη οὐκ ἔστιν ἐν ᾅδου ἐλεγμὸς ζωῆς Sir 41:4
And why do you refuse when it is the good pleasure of the Most High? Whether life lasts ten, or a hundred, or a thousand years, there is no inquiry about life in Hades.
* - - - 5 Sir 41:5 5 τέκνα βδελυρὰ γίνεται τέκνα ἁμαρτωλῶν καὶ συναναστρεφόμενα παροικίαις ἀσεβῶν Sir 41:5
The children of sinners are abominable children and they frequent the dwellings of the ungodly.
- - - 6 Sir 41:6 6 τέκνων ἁμαρτωλῶν ἀπολεῖται κληρονομία καὶ μετὰ τοῦ σπέρματος αὐτῶν ἐνδελεχιεῖ ὄνειδος Sir 41:6
The inheritance of sinners’ children will perish and with their posterity will be a perpetual disgrace.
- - - 7 Sir 41:7 7 πατρὶ ἀσεβεῖ μέμψεται τέκνα ὅτι δι’ αὐτὸν ὀνειδισθήσονται Sir 41:7
Children will complain of an ungodly father, because they suffer disgrace because of him.
- - - 8 Sir 41:8 8 οὐαὶ ὑμῖν ἄνδρες ἀσεβεῖς οἵτινες ἐγκατελίπετε νόμον θεοῦ ὑψίστου Sir 41:8
Woe to you, ungodly men, who have forsaken the law of the Most High God!
* - - - 9 Sir 41:9 9 καὶ ἐὰν γεννηθῆτε εἰς κατάραν γεννηθήσεσθε καὶ ἐὰν ἀποθάνητε εἰς κατάραν μερισθήσεσθε Sir 41:9
If you are born, you will be born to a curse. If you die, a curse will be your portion.
- - - 10 Sir 41:10 10 πάντα ὅσα ἐκ γῆς εἰς γῆν ἀπελεύσεται οὕτως ἀσεβεῖς ἀπὸ κατάρας εἰς ἀπώλειαν Sir 41:10
All things that are of the earth will go back to the earth; so the ungodly will go from a curse to perdition.
- - - 11 Sir 41:11 11 πένθος ἀνθρώπων ἐν σώμασιν αὐτῶν ὄνομα δὲ ἁμαρτωλῶν οὐκ ἀγαθὸν ἐξαλειφθήσεται Sir 41:11
The mourning of men is about their bodies; but the evil name of sinners will be blotted out.
- - - 12 Sir 41:12 12 φρόντισον περὶ ὀνόματος αὐτὸ γάρ σοι διαμενεῖ ἢ χίλιοι μεγάλοι θησαυροὶ χρυσίου Sir 41:12
Have regard for your name, for it continues with you longer than a thousand great treasures of gold.
- - - 13 Sir 41:13 13 ἀγαθῆς ζωῆς ἀριθμὸς ἡμερῶν καὶ ἀγαθὸν ὄνομα εἰς αἰῶνα διαμενεῖ Sir 41:13
A good life has its number of days, but a good name continues forever.
- - - 14 Sir 41:14 14 παιδείαν ἐν εἰρήνῃ συντηρήσατε τέκνα σοφία δὲ κεκρυμμένη καὶ θησαυρὸς ἀφανής τίς ὠφέλεια ἐν ἀμφοτέροις Sir 41:14
My children, follow instruction in peace. But wisdom that is hidden and a treasure that is not seen, what benefit is in them both?
- - - 15 Sir 41:15 15 κρείσσων ἄνθρωπος ἀποκρύπτων τὴν μωρίαν αὐτοῦ ἢ ἄνθρωπος ἀποκρύπτων τὴν σοφίαν αὐτοῦ Sir 41:15
Better is a man who hides his foolishness than a man who hides his wisdom.
- - - 16 Sir 41:16 16 τοιγαροῦν ἐντράπητε ἐπὶ τῷ ῥήματί μου οὐ γάρ ἐστιν πᾶσαν αἰσχύνην διαφυλάξαι καλόν καὶ οὐ πάντα πᾶσιν ἐν πίστει εὐδοκιμεῖται Sir 41:16
Therefore show respect for my words; for it is not good to retain every kind of shame. Not everything is approved by all in good faith.
- - - 17 Sir 41:17 17 αἰσχύνεσθε ἀπὸ πατρὸς καὶ μητρὸς περὶ πορνείας καὶ ἀπὸ ἡγουμένου καὶ δυνάστου περὶ ψεύδους Sir 41:17
Be ashamed of sexual immorality before father and mother, of a lie before a prince and a mighty man,
- - - 18 Sir 41:18 18 ἀπὸ κριτοῦ καὶ ἄρχοντος περὶ πλημμελείας καὶ ἀπὸ συναγωγῆς καὶ λαοῦ περὶ ἀνομίας Sir 41:18
of an offense before a judge and ruler, of iniquity before the congregation and the people, of unjust dealing before a partner and friend,
- - - 19 Sir 41:19 19 ἀπὸ κοινωνοῦ καὶ φίλου περὶ ἀδικίας καὶ ἀπὸ τόπου οὗ παροικεῖς περὶ κλοπῆς Sir 41:19
and of theft in the place where you sojourn. Be ashamed in regard of the truth of God and his covenant, of leaning on your elbow at dinner, of contemptuous behavior in the matter of giving and taking,
- - - 20 Sir 41:20 20 ἀπὸ ἀληθείας θεοῦ καὶ διαθήκης καὶ ἀπὸ πήξεως ἀγκῶνος ἐπ’ ἄρτοις Sir 41:20
of silence before those who greet you, of looking at a woman who is a prostitute,
- - - 21 Sir 41:21 21 ἀπὸ σκορακισμοῦ λήμψεως καὶ δόσεως καὶ ἀπὸ ἀσπαζομένων περὶ σιωπῆς Sir 41:21
of turning away your face from a kinsman, of taking away a portion or a gift, of gazing at a woman who has a husband,
- - - 22 Sir 41:22 22 ἀπὸ ὁράσεως γυναικὸς ἑταίρας καὶ ἀπὸ ἀποστροφῆς προσώπου συγγενοῦς Sir 41:22
of meddling with his maid—and don’t come near her bed, of abusive speech to friends—and after you have given, don’t insult,
- - - 23 Sir 41:23 23 ἀπὸ ἀφαιρέσεως μερίδος καὶ δόσεως καὶ ἀπὸ κατανοήσεως γυναικὸς ὑπάνδρου Sir 41:23
of repeating and speaking what you have heard, and of revealing of secrets.
- - - 24 Sir 41:24 24 ἀπὸ περιεργίας παιδίσκης αὐτοῦ καὶ μὴ ἐπιστῇς ἐπὶ τὴν κοίτην αὐτῆς Sir 41:24
So you will be ashamed of the right things and find favor in the sight of every man.
- - - 25 25 25 ἀπὸ φίλων περὶ λόγων ὀνειδισμοῦ καὶ μετὰ τὸ δοῦναι μὴ ὀνείδιζε 25 - - - 26 26 26 ἀπὸ δευτερώσεως καὶ λόγου ἀκοῆς καὶ ἀπὸ καλύψεως λόγων κρυφίων 26 - - - 27 27 27 καὶ ἔσῃ αἰσχυντηρὸς ἀληθινῶς καὶ εὑρίσκων χάριν ἔναντι παντὸς ἀνθρώπου 27 - - -
Match Diacritics KEYMAP Wildcard