Σοφία Σιρὰχ Wisdom of Sirach
CATSS LXX Wiki Latin Translation LXX / Vulgata Clementina Westminster Leningrad Codex Wiki Latin Translation HB / Vulgata Clementina 1 Sir 48:1 1 καὶ ἀνέστη Ηλιας προφήτης ὡς πῦρ καὶ ὁ λόγος αὐτοῦ ὡς λαμπὰς ἐκαίετο Sir 48:1
Then Elijah arose, the prophet like fire. His word burned like a torch.
- - - 2 Sir 48:2 2 ὃς ἐπήγαγεν ἐπ’ αὐτοὺς λιμὸν καὶ τῷ ζήλῳ αὐτοῦ ὠλιγοποίησεν αὐτούς Sir 48:2
He brought a famine upon them, and by his zeal made them few in number.
- - - 3 Sir 48:3 3 ἐν λόγῳ κυρίου ἀνέσχεν οὐρανόν κατήγαγεν οὕτως τρὶς πῦρ Sir 48:3
By the word of the Lord he shut up the heavens. He brought down fire three times.
- - - 4 Sir 48:4 4 ὡς ἐδοξάσθης Ηλια ἐν θαυμασίοις σου καὶ τίς ὅμοιός σοι καυχᾶσθαι Sir 48:4
How you were glorified, O Elijah, in your wondrous deeds! Whose glory is like yours?
- - - 5 Sir 48:5 5 ὁ ἐγείρας νεκρὸν ἐκ θανάτου καὶ ἐξ ᾅδου ἐν λόγῳ ὑψίστου Sir 48:5
You raised up a dead man from death, from Hades, by the word of the Most High.
- - - 6 Sir 48:6 6 ὁ καταγαγὼν βασιλεῖς εἰς ἀπώλειαν καὶ δεδοξασμένους ἀπὸ κλίνης αὐτῶν Sir 48:6
You brought down kings to destruction, and honorable men from their sickbeds.
- - - 7 Sir 48:7 7 ἀκούων ἐν Σινα ἐλεγμὸν καὶ ἐν Χωρηβ κρίματα ἐκδικήσεως Sir 48:7
You heard rebuke in Sinai, and judgments of vengeance in Horeb.
- - - 8 Sir 48:8 8 ὁ χρίων βασιλεῖς εἰς ἀνταπόδομα καὶ προφήτας διαδόχους μετ’ αὐτόν Sir 48:8
You anointed kings for retribution, and prophets to succeed after you.
- - - 9 Sir 48:9 9 ὁ ἀναλημφθεὶς ἐν λαίλαπι πυρὸς ἐν ἅρματι ἵππων πυρίνων Sir 48:9
You were taken up in a tempest of fire, in a chariot of fiery horses.
- - - 10 Sir 48:10 10 ὁ καταγραφεὶς ἐν ἐλεγμοῖς εἰς καιροὺς κοπάσαι ὀργὴν πρὸ θυμοῦ ἐπιστρέψαι καρδίαν πατρὸς πρὸς υἱὸν καὶ καταστῆσαι φυλὰς Ιακωβ Sir 48:10
You were recorded for reproofs in their seasons, to pacify anger, before it broke out into wrath, to turn the heart of the father to the son, and to restore the tribes of Jacob.
- - - 11 Sir 48:11 11 μακάριοι οἱ ἰδόντες σε καὶ οἱ ἐν ἀγαπήσει κεκοιμημένοι καὶ γὰρ ἡμεῖς ζωῇ ζησόμεθα Sir 48:11
Blessed are those who saw you, and those who have been beautified with love; for we also shall surely live.
- - - 12 Sir 48:12 12 Ηλιας ὃς ἐν λαίλαπι ἐσκεπάσθη καὶ Ελισαιε ἐνεπλήσθη πνεύματος αὐτοῦ καὶ ἐν ἡμέραις αὐτοῦ οὐκ ἐσαλεύθη ὑπὸ ἄρχοντος καὶ οὐ κατεδυνάστευσεν αὐτὸν οὐδείς Sir 48:12
Elijah was wrapped in a whirlwind. Elisha was filled with his spirit. In his days he was not moved by the fear of any ruler, and no one brought him into subjection.
- - - 13 Sir 48:13 13 πᾶς λόγος οὐχ ὑπερῆρεν αὐτόν καὶ ἐν κοιμήσει ἐπροφήτευσεν τὸ σῶμα αὐτοῦ Sir 48:13
Nothing was too hard for him. When he was buried, his body prophesied.
- - - 14 Sir 48:14 14 καὶ ἐν ζωῇ αὐτοῦ ἐποίησεν τέρατα καὶ ἐν τελευτῇ θαυμάσια τὰ ἔργα αὐτοῦ Sir 48:14
As in his life he did wonders, so his works were also marvelous in death.
- - - 15 Sir 48:15 15 ἐν πᾶσιν τούτοις οὐ μετενόησεν ὁ λαὸς καὶ οὐκ ἀπέστησαν ἀπὸ τῶν ἁμαρτιῶν αὐτῶν ἕως ἐπρονομεύθησαν ἀπὸ γῆς αὐτῶν καὶ διεσκορπίσθησαν ἐν πάσῃ τῇ γῇ Sir 48:15
For all this the people didn’t repent. They didn’t depart from their sins, until they were carried away as a plunder from their land, and were scattered through all the earth. The people were left very few in number, but with a ruler from the house of David.
- - - 16 Sir 48:16 16 καὶ κατελείφθη ὁ λαὸς ὀλιγοστός καὶ ἄρχων ἐν τῷ οἴκῳ Δαυιδ τινὲς μὲν αὐτῶν ἐποίησαν τὸ ἀρεστόν τινὲς δὲ ἐπλήθυναν ἁμαρτίας Sir 48:16
Some of them did that which was right, but some multiplied sins.
- - - 17 Sir 48:17 17 Εζεκιας ὠχύρωσεν τὴν πόλιν αὐτοῦ καὶ εἰσήγαγεν εἰς μέσον αὐτῆς ὕδωρ ὤρυξεν σιδήρῳ ἀκρότομον καὶ ᾠκοδόμησεν κρήνας εἰς ὕδατα Sir 48:17
Hezekiah fortified his city, and brought water into its midst. He tunneled through rock with iron, and built cisterns for water.
- - - 18 Sir 48:18 18 ἐν ἡμέραις αὐτοῦ ἀνέβη Σενναχηριμ καὶ ἀπέστειλεν Ραψακην καὶ ἀπῆρεν καὶ ἐπῆρεν χεῖρα αὐτοῦ ἐπὶ Σιων καὶ ἐμεγαλαύχησεν ἐν ὑπερηφανίᾳ αὐτοῦ Sir 48:18
In his days Sennacherib invaded, and sent Rabshakeh, and departed. He lifted up his hand against Zion, and boasted great things in his arrogance.
- - - 19 Sir 48:19 19 τότε ἐσαλεύθησαν καρδίαι καὶ χεῖρες αὐτῶν καὶ ὠδίνησαν ὡς αἱ τίκτουσαι Sir 48:19
Then their hearts and their hands were shaken, and they were in pain, as women in labor.
- - - 20 Sir 48:20 20 καὶ ἐπεκαλέσαντο τὸν κύριον τὸν ἐλεήμονα ἐκπετάσαντες τὰς χεῖρας αὐτῶν πρὸς αὐτόν καὶ ὁ ἅγιος ἐξ οὐρανοῦ ταχὺ ἐπήκουσεν αὐτῶν καὶ ἐλυτρώσατο αὐτοὺς ἐν χειρὶ Ησαιου Sir 48:20
But they called upon the Lord who is merciful, spreading out their hands to him. The Holy One quickly heard them out of Heaven, and delivered them by the hand of Isaiah.
- - - 21 Sir 48:21 21 ἐπάταξεν τὴν παρεμβολὴν τῶν Ἀσσυρίων καὶ ἐξέτριψεν αὐτοὺς ὁ ἄγγελος αὐτοῦ Sir 48:21
He struck the camp of the Assyrians, and his angel utterly destroyed them.
- - - 22 Sir 48:22 22 ἐποίησεν γὰρ Εζεκιας τὸ ἀρεστὸν κυρίῳ καὶ ἐνίσχυσεν ἐν ὁδοῖς Δαυιδ τοῦ πατρὸς αὐτοῦ ἃς ἐνετείλατο Ησαιας ὁ προφήτης ὁ μέγας καὶ πιστὸς ἐν ὁράσει αὐτοῦ Sir 48:22
For Hezekiah did that which was pleasing to the Lord, and was strong in the ways of his ancestor David, which Isaiah the prophet commanded, who was great and faithful in his vision.
- - - 23 Sir 48:23 23 ἐν ταῖς ἡμέραις αὐτοῦ ἀνεπόδισεν ὁ ἥλιος καὶ προσέθηκεν ζωὴν βασιλεῖ Sir 48:23
In his days the sun went backward. He prolonged the life of the king.
- - - 24 Sir 48:24 24 πνεύματι μεγάλῳ εἶδεν τὰ ἔσχατα καὶ παρεκάλεσεν τοὺς πενθοῦντας ἐν Σιων Sir 48:24
He saw by an excellent spirit what would come to pass in the future; and he comforted those who mourned in Zion.
- - - 25 Sir 48:25 25 ἕως τοῦ αἰῶνος ὑπέδειξεν τὰ ἐσόμενα καὶ τὰ ἀπόκρυφα πρὶν ἢ παραγενέσθαι αὐτά Sir 48:25
He showed the things that would happen through the end of time, and the hidden things before they came.
- - -
Match Diacritics KEYMAP Wildcard