Σοφία Σιρὰχ Wisdom of Sirach
CATSS LXX Wiki Latin Translation LXX / Vulgata Clementina Westminster Leningrad Codex Wiki Latin Translation HB / Vulgata Clementina 1 Sir 51:1 1 ἐξομολογήσομαί σοι κύριε βασιλεῦ καὶ αἰνέσω σε θεὸν τὸν σωτῆρά μου ἐξομολογοῦμαι τῷ ὀνόματί σου Sir 51:1
I will give thanks to you, O Lord, O King, and will praise you, O God my Savior. I give thanks to your name,
- - - 2 Sir 51:2 2 ὅτι σκεπαστὴς καὶ βοηθὸς ἐγένου μοι καὶ ἐλυτρώσω τὸ σῶμά μου ἐξ ἀπωλείας καὶ ἐκ παγίδος διαβολῆς γλώσσης ἀπὸ χειλέων ἐργαζομένων ψεῦδος καὶ ἔναντι τῶν παρεστηκότων ἐγένου βοηθὸς καὶ ἐλυτρώσω με Sir 51:2
for you have been my protector and helper, and delivered my body out of destruction, and out of the snare of a slanderous tongue, from lips that fabricate lies. You were my helper before those who stood by,
- - - 3 Sir 51:3 3 κατὰ τὸ πλῆθος ἐλέους καὶ ὀνόματός σου ἐκ βρυγμῶν ἕτοιμον εἰς βρῶμα ἐκ χειρὸς ζητούντων τὴν ψυχήν μου ἐκ πλειόνων θλίψεων ὧν ἔσχον Sir 51:3
and delivered me, according to the abundance of your mercy and of your name, from the gnashings of teeth ready to devour, out of the hand of those seeking my life, out of the many afflictions I endured,
- - - 4 Sir 51:4 4 ἀπὸ πνιγμοῦ πυρᾶς κυκλόθεν καὶ ἐκ μέσου πυρός οὗ οὐκ ἐξέκαυσα Sir 51:4
from the choking of a fire on every side, and out of the midst of fire that I hadn’t kindled,
- - - 5 Sir 51:5 5 ἐκ βάθους κοιλίας ᾅδου καὶ ἀπὸ γλώσσης ἀκαθάρτου καὶ λόγου ψευδοῦς Sir 51:5
out of the depth of the belly of Hades, from an unclean tongue, and from lying words—
- - - 6 Sir 51:6 6 βασιλεῖ διαβολὴ γλώσσης ἀδίκου ἤγγισεν ἕως θανάτου ἡ ψυχή μου καὶ ἡ ζωή μου ἦν σύνεγγυς ᾅδου κάτω Sir 51:6
the slander of an unrighteous tongue to the king. My soul drew near to death. My life was near to Hades.
- - - 7 Sir 51:7 7 περιέσχον με πάντοθεν καὶ οὐκ ἦν ὁ βοηθῶν ἐνέβλεπον εἰς ἀντίλημψιν ἀνθρώπων καὶ οὐκ ἦν Sir 51:7
They surrounded me on every side. There was no one to help me. I was looking for human help, and there was none.
- - - 8 Sir 51:8 8 καὶ ἐμνήσθην τοῦ ἐλέους σου κύριε καὶ τῆς ἐργασίας σου τῆς ἀπ’ αἰῶνος ὅτι ἐξαιρῇ τοὺς ὑπομένοντάς σε καὶ σῴζεις αὐτοὺς ἐκ χειρὸς ἐχθρῶν Sir 51:8
Then I remembered your mercy, O Lord, and your working which has been from everlasting, how you deliver those who wait for you, and save them out of the hand of their enemies.
- - - 9 Sir 51:9 9 καὶ ἀνύψωσα ἀπὸ γῆς ἱκετείαν μου καὶ ὑπὲρ θανάτου ῥύσεως ἐδεήθην Sir 51:9
I lifted up my prayer from the earth, and prayed for deliverance from death.
- - - 10 Sir 51:10 10 ἐπεκαλεσάμην κύριον πατέρα κυρίου μου μή με ἐγκαταλιπεῖν ἐν ἡμέραις θλίψεως ἐν καιρῷ ὑπερηφανιῶν ἀβοηθησίας αἰνέσω τὸ ὄνομά σου ἐνδελεχῶς καὶ ὑμνήσω ἐν ἐξομολογήσει Sir 51:10
I called upon the Lord, the Father of my Lord, that he would not forsake me in the days of affliction, in the time when there was no help against the proud.
- - - 11 Sir 51:11 11 καὶ εἰσηκούσθη ἡ δέησίς μου ἔσωσας γάρ με ἐξ ἀπωλείας καὶ ἐξείλου με ἐκ καιροῦ πονηροῦ Sir 51:11
I will praise your name continually. I will sing praise with thanksgiving. My prayer was heard.
- - - 12 Sir 51:12 12 διὰ τοῦτο ἐξομολογήσομαί σοι καὶ αἰνέσω σε καὶ εὐλογήσω τῷ ὀνόματι κυρίου Sir 51:12
You saved me from destruction and delivered me from the evil time. Therefore I will give thanks and praise to you, and bless the name of the Lord.
- - - 13 Sir 51:13 13 ἔτι ὢν νεώτερος πρὶν ἢ πλανηθῆναί με ἐζήτησα σοφίαν προφανῶς ἐν προσευχῇ μου Sir 51:13
When I was yet young, before I went abroad, I sought wisdom openly in my prayer.
- - - 14 Sir 51:14 14 ἔναντι ναοῦ ἠξίουν περὶ αὐτῆς καὶ ἕως ἐσχάτων ἐκζητήσω αὐτήν Sir 51:14
Before the temple I asked for her. I will seek her out even to the end.
- - - 15 Sir 51:15 15 ἐξ ἄνθους ὡς περκαζούσης σταφυλῆς εὐφράνθη ἡ καρδία μου ἐν αὐτῇ ἐπέβη ὁ πούς μου ἐν εὐθύτητι ἐκ νεότητός μου ἴχνευον αὐτήν Sir 51:15
From the first flower to the ripening grape my heart delighted in her. My foot walked in uprightness. From my youth I followed her steps.
- - - 16 Sir 51:16 16 ἔκλινα ὀλίγον τὸ οὖς μου καὶ ἐδεξάμην καὶ πολλὴν εὗρον ἐμαυτῷ παιδείαν Sir 51:16
I inclined my ear a little, and received her, and found for myself much instruction.
- - - 17 Sir 51:17 17 προκοπὴ ἐγένετό μοι ἐν αὐτῇ τῷ διδόντι μοι σοφίαν δώσω δόξαν Sir 51:17
I profited in her. I will give glory to him who gives me wisdom.
- - - 18 Sir 51:18 18 διενοήθην γὰρ τοῦ ποιῆσαι αὐτὴν καὶ ἐζήλωσα τὸ ἀγαθὸν καὶ οὐ μὴ αἰσχυνθῶ Sir 51:18
For I determined to practice her. I was zealous for that which is good. I will never be put to shame.
- - - 19 Sir 51:19 19 διαμεμάχισται ἡ ψυχή μου ἐν αὐτῇ καὶ ἐν ποιήσει νόμου διηκριβασάμην τὰς χεῖράς μου ἐξεπέτασα πρὸς ὕψος καὶ τὰ ἀγνοήματα αὐτῆς ἐπένθησα Sir 51:19
My soul has wrestled with her. In my conduct I was exact. I spread out my hands to the heaven above, and bewailed my ignorances of her.
- - - 20 Sir 51:20 20 τὴν ψυχήν μου κατεύθυνα εἰς αὐτὴν καὶ ἐν καθαρισμῷ εὗρον αὐτήν καρδίαν ἐκτησάμην μετ’ αὐτῆς ἀπ’ ἀρχῆς διὰ τοῦτο οὐ μὴ ἐγκαταλειφθῶ Sir 51:20
I directed my soul to her. In purity I found her. I got myself a heart joined with her from the beginning. Therefore I won’t be forsaken.
- - - 21 Sir 51:21 21 καὶ ἡ κοιλία μου ἐταράχθη τοῦ ἐκζητῆσαι αὐτήν διὰ τοῦτο ἐκτησάμην ἀγαθὸν κτῆμα Sir 51:21
My belly also was troubled to seek her. Therefore I have gained a good possession.
- - - 22 Sir 51:22 22 ἔδωκεν κύριος γλῶσσάν μοι μισθόν μου καὶ ἐν αὐτῇ αἰνέσω αὐτόν Sir 51:22
The Lord gave me a tongue for my reward. I will praise him with it.
- - - 23 Sir 51:23 23 ἐγγίσατε πρός με ἀπαίδευτοι καὶ αὐλίσθητε ἐν οἴκῳ παιδείας Sir 51:23
Draw near to me, all you who are uneducated, and live in the house of instruction.
- - - 24 Sir 51:24 24 τί ὅτι ὑστερεῖσθαι λέγετε ἐν τούτοις καὶ αἱ ψυχαὶ ὑμῶν διψῶσι σφόδρα Sir 51:24
Why therefore are you all lacking in these things, and your souls are very thirsty?
- - - 25 Sir 51:25 25 ἤνοιξα τὸ στόμα μου καὶ ἐλάλησα κτήσασθε ἑαυτοῖς ἄνευ ἀργυρίου Sir 51:25
I opened my mouth and spoke, “Get her for yourselves without money.”
- - - 26 Sir 51:26 26 τὸν τράχηλον ὑμῶν ὑπόθετε ὑπὸ ζυγόν καὶ ἐπιδεξάσθω ἡ ψυχὴ ὑμῶν παιδείαν ἐγγύς ἐστιν εὑρεῖν αὐτήν Sir 51:26
Put your neck under the yoke, and let your soul receive instruction. She is near to find.
- - - 27 Sir 51:27 27 ἴδετε ἐν ὀφθαλμοῖς ὑμῶν ὅτι ὀλίγον ἐκοπίασα καὶ εὗρον ἐμαυτῷ πολλὴν ἀνάπαυσιν Sir 51:27
See with your eyes how that I labored just a little and found for myself much rest.
- - - 28 Sir 51:28 28 μετάσχετε παιδείας ἐν πολλῷ ἀριθμῷ ἀργυρίου καὶ πολὺν χρυσὸν κτήσασθε ἐν αὐτῇ Sir 51:28
Get instruction with a great sum of silver, and gain much gold by her.
- - - 29 Sir 51:29 29 εὐφρανθείη ἡ ψυχὴ ὑμῶν ἐν τῷ ἐλέει αὐτοῦ καὶ μὴ αἰσχυνθείητε ἐν αἰνέσει αὐτοῦ Sir 51:29
¶A Prayer of Jesus the son of Sirach. May your soul rejoice in his mercy, and may you all not be put to shame in praising him.
- - - 30 Sir 51:30 30 ἐργάζεσθε τὸ ἔργον ὑμῶν πρὸ καιροῦ καὶ δώσει τὸν μισθὸν ὑμῶν ἐν καιρῷ αὐτοῦ Sir 51:30
Work your work before the time comes, and in his time he will give you your reward.
- - -
Match Diacritics KEYMAP Wildcard