Σουσάννα OG Susanna OG (Old Greek)
CATSS LXX Wiki Latin Translation LXX / Vulgata Clementina Westminster Leningrad Codex Wiki Latin Translation HB / Vulgata Clementina 1 GrDn 13:1 1 GrDn 13:1
¶There dwelt a man in Babylon, called Joakim.
- - - 2 GrDn 13:2 2 GrDn 13:2
And he took a wife, whose name was Susanna, the daughter of Hilkiah, a very fair woman and one who feared the Lord.
- - - 3 GrDn 13:3 3 GrDn 13:3
Her parents also were righteous and taught their daughter according to the law of Moses.
- - - 4 GrDn 13:4 4 GrDn 13:4
Now Joakim was a great rich man and had a beautiful garden next to his house; and the Jews turned to him for help, because he was more honorable than all others.
- - - 5 GrDn 13:5 5 GrDn 13:5
¶The same year, two of the elders of the people were appointed to be judges, such ones as the Lord spoke of, “Wickedness came from Babylon, from ancient judges, who seemed to govern the people.”
- - - 6 GrDn 13:6 6 καὶ ἤρχοντο κρίσεις ἐξ ἄλλων πόλεων πρὸς αὐτούς GrDn 13:6
These spent much time at Joakim’s house, and all those who had any lawsuits came to them.
- - - 7/8 GrDn 13:7-8 7/8 οὗτοι ἰδόντες γυναῖκα ἀστείαν τῷ εἴδει γυναῖκα ἀδελφοῦ αὐτῶν ἐκ τῶν υἱῶν Ισραηλ ὄνομα Σουσανναν θυγατέρα Χελκιου γυναῖκα Ιωακιμ περιπατοῦσαν ἐν τῷ παραδείσῳ τοῦ ἀνδρὸς αὐτῆς τὸ δειλινὸν καὶ ἐπιθυμήσαντες αὐτῆς GrDn 13:7-8
(7) Now when the people departed away at noon, Susanna went into her husband’s garden to walk. (8) And the two elders saw her going in every day and walking, so that their lust was inflamed toward her.
- - - 9 GrDn 13:9 9 διέστρεψαν τὸν νοῦν αὐτῶν καὶ ἐξέκλιναν τοὺς ὀφθαλμοὺς αὐτῶν τοῦ μὴ βλέπειν εἰς τὸν οὐρανὸν μηδὲ μνημονεύειν κριμάτων δικαίων GrDn 13:9
And they perverted their own mind and turned away their eyes, so that they would not look to heaven, nor remember just judgments.
- - - 10/11 GrDn 13:10-11 10/11 καὶ ἀμφότεροι ἦσαν κατανενυγμένοι περὶ αὐτῆς καὶ ἕτερος τῷ ἑτέρῳ οὐ προσεποιεῖτο τὸ κακὸν τὸ ἔχον αὐτοὺς περὶ αὐτῆς οὐδὲ ἡ γυνὴ ἔγνω τὸ πρᾶγμα τοῦτο GrDn 13:10-11
(10) And although they both were wounded with her love, yet each dared not show the other his grief. (11) For they were ashamed to declare their lust, that they desired to have to do with her.
- - - 12 GrDn 13:12 12 καὶ ὡς ἐγίνετο ὄρθρος ἐρχόμενοι ἔκλεπτον ἀλλήλους σπεύδοντες τίς φανήσεται αὐτῇ πρότερος καὶ λαλήσει πρὸς αὐτήν GrDn 13:12
Yet they watched diligently from day to day to see her.
- - - 13/14 GrDn 13:13-14 13/14 καὶ ἰδοὺ αὕτη κατὰ τὸ εἰωθὸς περιεπάτει καὶ ὁ εἷς τῶν πρεσβυτέρων ἐληλύθει καὶ ἰδοὺ ὁ ἕτερος παρεγένετο καὶ εἷς τὸν ἕτερον ἀνέκρινε λέγων τί σὺ οὕτως ὄρθρου ἐξῆλθες οὐ παραλαβών με καὶ ἐξωμολογήσαντο πρὸς ἀλλήλους ἑκάτερος τὴν ὀδύνην αὐτοῦ GrDn 13:13-14
(13) And the one said to the other, “Let us go home now, for it is dinner time.” (14) So when they had gone out, they each parted from the other, and turning back again they came to the same place; and after they had asked each another the reason, they acknowledged their lust, then they both appointed themselves a time when they might find her alone.
- - - 15 GrDn 13:15 15 GrDn 13:15
¶And it happened, as they watched for a fitting time, that she went in as before with two maids only, and she intended to wash herself in the garden, for it was hot.
- - - 16 GrDn 13:16 16 GrDn 13:16
And there was no one there except the two elders, who had hidden themselves and watched her.
- - - 17 GrDn 13:17 17 GrDn 13:17
Then she said to her maids, “Bring me oil and washing balls and shut the garden doors, so that I may wash myself.”
- - - 18 GrDn 13:18 18 GrDn 13:18
And they did as she asked them, and shut the garden doors, and went out themselves through private doors to fetch the things that she had commanded them; but they did not see the elders, because they were hidden.
- - - 19 GrDn 13:19 19 καὶ εἶπεν εἷς τῷ ἑτέρῳ πορευθῶμεν πρὸς αὐτήν καὶ συνθέμενοι προσήλθοσαν αὐτῇ καὶ ἐξεβιάζοντο αὐτήν GrDn 13:19
Now when the maids were gone, the two elders rose up and ran to her, saying,
- - - 20 GrDn 13:20 20 GrDn 13:20
“Behold, the garden doors are shut, so that no man can see us, and we are in love with you; therefore consent to us and lie with us.
- - - 21 GrDn 13:21 21 GrDn 13:21
If you will not, we will bear witness against you that a young man was with you, and therefore you sent your maids away from you.”
- - - 22 GrDn 13:22 22 καὶ εἶπεν αὐτοῖς ἡ Ιουδαία οἶδα ὅτι ἐὰν πράξω τοῦτο θάνατός μοί ἐστι καὶ ἐὰν μὴ πράξω οὐκ ἐκφεύξομαι τὰς χεῖρας ὑμῶν GrDn 13:22
Then Susanna sighed and said, “I am hemmed in on every side; for if I do this thing, it is death to me; and if I do not do it, I cannot escape your hands.
- - - 23 GrDn 13:23 23 κάλλιον δέ με μὴ πράξασαν ἐμπεσεῖν εἰς τὰς χεῖρας ὑμῶν ἢ ἁμαρτεῖν ἐνώπιον κυρίου GrDn 13:23
It is better for me to fall into your hands and not do it, than to sin in the sight of the Lord.”
- - - 24 GrDn 13:24 24 GrDn 13:24
With that, Susanna cried with a loud voice, and the two elders cried out against her.
- - - 25 GrDn 13:25 25 GrDn 13:25
Then the one ran and opened the garden door.
- - - 26 GrDn 13:26 26 GrDn 13:26
So when the servants of the house heard the cry in the garden, they rushed in through the private door to see what had happened to her.
- - - 27 GrDn 13:27 27 GrDn 13:27
But, when the elders had declared their story, the servants were greatly ashamed, for there was never such a report made of Susanna.
- - - 28 GrDn 13:28 28 οἱ δὲ παράνομοι ἄνδρες ἀπέστρεψαν ἀπειλοῦντες ἐν ἑαυτοῖς καὶ ἐνεδρεύοντες ἵνα θανατώσουσιν αὐτήν καὶ ἐλθόντες ἐπὶ τὴν συναγωγὴν τῆς πόλεως οὗ παρῳκοῦσαν καὶ συνήδρευσαν οἱ ὄντες ἐκεῖ πάντες οἱ υἱοὶ Ισραηλ GrDn 13:28
¶And it came to pass the next day, when the people were assembled before her husband Joakim, that the two elders also came, full of mischievous imagination against Susanna to put her to death;
- - - 29 GrDn 13:29 29 καὶ ἀναστάντες οἱ δύο πρεσβύτεροι καὶ κριταὶ εἶπαν ἀποστείλατε ἐπὶ Σουσανναν θυγατέρα Χελκιου ἥτις ἐστὶ γυνὴ Ιωακιμ οἱ δὲ εὐθέως ἐκάλεσαν αὐτήν GrDn 13:29
And they said before the people, “Send for Susanna, the daughter of Hilkiah, Joakim’s wife.” And so they sent for her.
- - - 30 GrDn 13:30 30 ὡς δὲ παρεγενήθη ἡ γυνὴ σὺν τῷ πατρὶ ἑαυτῆς καὶ τῇ μητρί καὶ οἱ παῖδες καὶ αἱ παιδίσκαι αὐτῆς ὄντες τὸν ἀριθμὸν πεντακόσιοι παρεγένοντο καὶ τὰ παιδία Σουσαννας τέσσαρα GrDn 13:30
So she came with her father and mother, her children, and all her kindred.
- - - 31 GrDn 13:31 31 ἦν δὲ ἡ γυνὴ τρυφερὰ σφόδρα GrDn 13:31
Now, Susanna was a very delicate woman and beautiful to behold.
- - - 32 GrDn 13:32 32 καὶ προσέταξαν οἱ παράνομοι ἀποκαλύψαι αὐτήν ἵνα ἐμπλησθῶσι κάλλους ἐπιθυμίας αὐτῆς GrDn 13:32
And these wicked men commanded her to uncover her face, (for she was covered,) that they might be filled with her beauty.
- - - 33 GrDn 13:33 33 καὶ ἐκλαίοσαν οἱ παρ’ αὐτῆς πάντες καὶ ὅσοι αὐτὴν ᾔδεισαν πάντες GrDn 13:33
Therefore, her friends and all that saw her wept.
- - - 34 GrDn 13:34 34 ἀναστάντες δὲ οἱ πρεσβύτεροι καὶ κριταὶ ἐπέθηκαν τὰς χεῖρας αὐτῶν ἐπὶ τῆς κεφαλῆς αὐτῆς GrDn 13:34
Then the two elders stood up in the midst of the people and laid their hands upon her head.
- - - 35 GrDn 13:35 35 ἡ δὲ καρδία αὐτῆς ἐπεποίθει ἐπὶ κυρίῳ τῷ θεῷ αὐτῆς καὶ ἀνακύψασα ἔκλαυσεν ἐν ἑαυτῇ λέγουσα GrDn 13:35
And she looked up toward heaven weeping, for her heart trusted in the Lord.
- - - 35a 35a 35a κύριε ὁ θεὸς ὁ αἰώνιος ὁ εἰδὼς τὰ πάντα πρὶν γενέσεως αὐτῶν σὺ οἶδας ὅτι οὐκ ἐποίησα ἃ πονηρεύονται οἱ ἄνομοι οὗτοι ἐπ’ ἐμοί καὶ εἰσήκουσε κύριος τῆς δεήσεως αὐτῆς 35a - - - 36 GrDn 13:36 36 οἱ δὲ δύο πρεσβύτεροι εἶπαν ἡμεῖς περιεπατοῦμεν ἐν τῷ παραδείσῳ τοῦ ἀνδρὸς αὐτῆς GrDn 13:36
And the elders said, “As we walked in the garden alone, this woman came in with two maids and shut the garden doors and sent the maids away.
- - - 37 GrDn 13:37 37 καὶ κυκλοῦντες τὸ στάδιον εἴδομεν ταύτην ἀναπαυομένην μετὰ ἀνδρὸς καὶ στάντες ἐθεωροῦμεν αὐτοὺς ὁμιλοῦντας ἀλλήλοις GrDn 13:37
Then a young man, who was hidden there, came to her and lay with her.
- - - 38 GrDn 13:38 38 καὶ αὐτοὶ οὐκ ᾔδεισαν ὅτι εἱστήκειμεν τότε συνειπάμεθα ἀλλήλοις λέγοντες μάθωμεν τίνες εἰσὶν οὗτοι GrDn 13:38
Then, standing in a corner of the garden, we saw this wickedness and ran towards them.
- - - 39 GrDn 13:39 39 καὶ προσελθόντες ἐπέγνωμεν αὐτήν ὁ δὲ νεανίσκος ἔφυγε συγκεκαλυμμένος GrDn 13:39
And when we saw them together, the man we could not hold, for he was stronger than us, and he opened the door and leaped out.
- - - 40 GrDn 13:40 40 ταύτης δὲ ἐπιλαβόμενοι ἐπηρωτῶμεν αὐτήν τίς ὁ ἄνθρωπος GrDn 13:40
But having taken this woman, we asked her who the young man was, but she would not tell us; to these things we testify.”
- - - 41 GrDn 13:41 41 καὶ οὐκ ἀπήγγειλεν ἡμῖν τίς ἦν ταῦτα μαρτυροῦμεν καὶ ἐπίστευσεν αὐτοῖς ἡ συναγωγὴ πᾶσα ὡς πρεσβυτέρων ὄντων καὶ κριτῶν τοῦ λαοῦ GrDn 13:41
Then the assembly believed them because they were the elders and judges of the people; so they condemned her to death.
- - - 42 GrDn 13:42 42 GrDn 13:42
¶Then Susanna cried out with a loud voice and said, “O everlasting God, who knows the secrets and knows all things before they be:
- - - 43 GrDn 13:43 43 GrDn 13:43
You know that they have borne false witness against me, and behold I must die; though I never did such things as these men have maliciously invented against me.”
- - - 44/45 GrDn 13:44-45 44/45 καὶ ἰδοὺ ἄγγελος κυρίου ἐκείνης ἐξαγομένης ἀπολέσθαι καὶ ἔδωκεν ὁ ἄγγελος καθὼς προσετάγη πνεῦμα συνέσεως νεωτέρῳ ὄντι Δανιηλ GrDn 13:44-45
(44) And the Lord heard her voice. (45) Therefore, when she was led to be put to death, the Lord raised up the holy spirit of a young youth whose name was Daniel,
- - - 46 GrDn 13:46 46 GrDn 13:46
who cried with a loud voice, “I am free of the blood of this woman.”
- - - 47 GrDn 13:47 47 GrDn 13:47
Then all the people turned toward him and said, “What do these words you have spoken mean?”
- - - 48 GrDn 13:48 48 διαστείλας δὲ Δανιηλ τὸν ὄχλον καὶ στὰς ἐν μέσῳ αὐτῶν εἶπεν οὕτως μωροί υἱοὶ Ισραηλ οὐκ ἀνακρίναντες οὐδὲ τὸ σαφὲς ἐπιγνόντες ἀπεκρίνατε θυγατέρα Ισραηλ GrDn 13:48
So, standing in the midst of them, he said, “Are you such fools, you sons of Israel, that you have condemned a daughter of Israel without examination or knowledge of the truth?
- - - 49 GrDn 13:49 49 GrDn 13:49
Return again to the place of judgment, for they have borne false witness against her.”
- - - 50 GrDn 13:50 50 GrDn 13:50
¶Therefore all the people returned again in haste, and the elders said to him, “Come, sit down among us and teach us, since that God has given you the honor of an elder.”
- - - 51 GrDn 13:51 51 καὶ νῦν διαχωρίσατέ μοι αὐτοὺς ἀπ’ ἀλλήλων μακράν ἵνα ἐτάσω αὐτούς GrDn 13:51
Then Daniel said to them, “Put these two aside, one far from another, and I will examine them.”
- - - 52 GrDn 13:52 52 ὡς δὲ διεχωρίσθησαν εἶπεν Δανιηλ τῇ συναγωγῇ νῦν μὴ βλέψητε ὅτι οὗτοί εἰσι πρεσβύτεροι λέγοντες οὐ μὴ ψεύσωνται ἀλλὰ ἀνακρινῶ αὐτοὺς κατὰ τὰ ὑποπίπτοντά μοι καὶ ἐκάλεσε τὸν ἕνα αὐτῶν καὶ προσήγαγον τὸν πρεσβύτερον τῷ νεωτέρῳ καὶ εἶπεν αὐτῷ Δανιηλ ἄκουε ἄκουε πεπαλαιωμένε ἡμερῶν κακῶν νῦν ἥκασί σου αἱ ἁμαρτίαι ἃς ἐποίεις τὸ πρότερον GrDn 13:52
So, when they were put apart one from another, he called one of them and said to him, “O you who has grown old in wickedness, now your sins, which you have committed before this time, have come to light.
- - - 53 GrDn 13:53 53 πιστευθεὶς ἀκούειν καὶ κρίνειν κρίσεις θάνατον ἐπιφερούσας καὶ τὸν μὲν ἀθῷον κατέκρινας τοὺς δὲ ἐνόχους ἠφίεις τοῦ κυρίου λέγοντος ἀθῷον καὶ δίκαιον οὐκ ἀποκτενεῖς GrDn 13:53
For you have pronounced false judgment and have condemned the innocent and have let the guilty go free; even though the Lord says, ‘The innocent and righteous you shall not slay.’
- - - 54 GrDn 13:54 54 νῦν οὖν ὑπὸ τί δένδρον καὶ ποταπῷ τοῦ παραδείσου τόπῳ ἑώρακας αὐτοὺς ὄντας σὺν ἑαυτοῖς καὶ εἶπεν ὁ ἀσεβής ὑπὸ σχῖνον GrDn 13:54
Now then, if you saw her, tell me, under what tree did you see them consorting together?” He answered, “Under a mastick tree.”
- - - 55 GrDn 13:55 55 εἶπεν δὲ ὁ νεώτερος ὀρθῶς ἔψευσαι εἰς τὴν σεαυτοῦ ψυχήν ὁ γὰρ ἄγγελος κυρίου σχίσει σου τὴν ψυχὴν σήμερον GrDn 13:55
And Daniel said, “Very well; you have lied against your own head; for even now the angel of God has received the sentence of God to cut you in two.”
- - - 56 GrDn 13:56 56 καὶ τοῦτον μεταστήσας εἶπε προσαγαγεῖν αὐτῷ τὸν ἕτερον καὶ τούτῳ δὲ εἶπεν διὰ τί διεστραμμένον τὸ σπέρμα σου ὡς Σιδῶνος καὶ οὐχ ὡς Ιουδα τὸ κάλλος σε ἠπάτησεν ἡ μιαρὰ ἐπιθυμία GrDn 13:56
So he put him aside and commanded them to bring the other, and he said to him, “O you, offspring of Canaan and not of Judah, beauty has deceived you and lust has perverted your heart.
- - - 57 GrDn 13:57 57 καὶ οὕτως ἐποιεῖτε θυγατράσιν Ισραηλ καὶ ἐκεῖναι φοβούμεναι ὡμιλοῦσαν ὑμῖν ἀλλ’ οὐ θυγάτηρ Ιουδα ὑπέμεινε τὴν νόσον ὑμῶν ἐν ἀνομίᾳ ὑπενεγκεῖν GrDn 13:57
Thus have you dealt with the daughters of Israel, and they out of fear consorted with you; but the daughter of Judah would not tolerate your wickedness.
- - - 58 GrDn 13:58 58 νῦν οὖν λέγε μοι ὑπὸ τί δένδρον καὶ ἐν ποίῳ τοῦ κήπου τόπῳ κατέλαβες αὐτοὺς ὁμιλοῦντας ἀλλήλοις ὁ δὲ εἶπεν ὑπὸ πρῖνον GrDn 13:58
Now therefore, tell me, under what tree did you find them consorting together?” He answered, “Under an holm tree.”
- - - 59 GrDn 13:59 59 καὶ εἶπεν Δανιηλ ἁμαρτωλέ νῦν ὁ ἄγγελος κυρίου τὴν ῥομφαίαν ἕστηκεν ἔχων ἕως ὁ λαὸς ἐξολεθρεύσει ὑμᾶς ἵνα καταπρίσῃ σε GrDn 13:59
Then Daniel said to him, “Well, you also have lied against your own head; for the angel of God waits with the sword to cut you in two, that he may destroy you.”
- - - 60-62 GrDn 13:60-62 60-62 καὶ πᾶσα ἡ συναγωγὴ ἀνεβόησεν ἐπὶ τῷ νεωτέρῳ ὡς ἐκ τοῦ ἰδίου στόματος ὁμολόγους αὐτοὺς κατέστησεν ἀμφοτέρους ψευδομάρτυρας καὶ ὡς ὁ νόμος διαγορεύει ἐποίησαν αὐτοῖς καθὼς ἐπονηρεύσαντο κατὰ τῆς ἀδελφῆς καὶ ἐφίμωσαν αὐτοὺς καὶ ἐξαγαγόντες ἔρριψαν εἰς φάραγγα τότε ὁ ἄγγελος κυρίου ἔρριψε πῦρ διὰ μέσου αὐτῶν καὶ ἐσώθη αἷμα ἀναίτιον ἐν τῇ ἡμέρᾳ ἐκείνῃ GrDn 13:60-62
(60) ¶With that all the assembly cried out with a loud voice and praised God, who saves those who trust in him. (61) And they arose against the two elders, for Daniel had convicted them of false witness by their own mouth. (62) And, according to the law of Moses, they did to them in the same way as they maliciously intended to do to their neighbor; and they put them to death. Thus, innocent blood was saved that same day.
- - - 63 GrDn 13:63 63 διὰ τοῦτο οἱ νεώτεροι ἀγαπητοὶ Ιακωβ ἐν τῇ ἁπλότητι αὐτῶν καὶ ἡμεῖς φυλασσώμεθα εἰς υἱοὺς δυνατοὺς νεωτέρους εὐσεβήσουσι γὰρ νεώτεροι καὶ ἔσται ἐν αὐτοῖς πνεῦμα ἐπιστήμης καὶ συνέσεως εἰς αἰῶνα αἰῶνος GrDn 13:63
Therefore Hilkiah and his wife praised God for their daughter Susanna, with Joakim her husband and all their kindred, because there was no dishonesty found in her.
- - - 64 GrDn 13:64 64 GrDn 13:64
From that day forth, Daniel had a great reputation in the sight of the people.
- - -
Match Diacritics KEYMAP Wildcard