Τωβὶτ S Tobit S (Codex Sinaiticus)
CATSS LXX Wiki Latin Translation LXX / Vulgata Clementina Westminster Leningrad Codex Wiki Latin Translation HB / Vulgata Clementina 1 Tb 2:1 1 καὶ ἐπὶ Σαχερδονος βασιλέως κατῆλθον εἰς τὸν οἶκόν μου καὶ ἀπεδόθη μοι ἡ γυνή μου Αννα καὶ Τωβιας ὁ υἱός μου καὶ ἐν τῇ πεντηκοστῇ τῇ ἑορτῇ ἡμῶν ἥ ἐστιν ἁγία ἑπτὰ ἑβδομάδων ἐγενήθη μοι ἄριστον καλόν καὶ ἀνέπεσα τοῦ ἀριστῆσαι Tb 2:1
¶Now when I arrived home again, and my wife Anna was restored to me with my son Tobias, at the feast of Pentecost, which is the holy feast of the seven weeks, a good dinner was prepared for me, which I sat down to eat.
- - - 2 Tb 2:2 2 καὶ παρετέθη μοι ἡ τράπεζα καὶ παρετέθη μοι ὀψάρια πλείονα καὶ εἶπα τῷ Τωβια τῷ υἱῷ μου παιδίον βάδιζε καὶ ὃν ἂν εὕρῃς πτωχὸν τῶν ἀδελφῶν ἡμῶν ἐκ Νινευητῶν αἰχμαλώτων ὃς μέμνηται ἐν ὅλῃ καρδίᾳ αὐτοῦ καὶ ἄγαγε αὐτὸν καὶ φάγεται κοινῶς μετ’ ἐμοῦ καὶ ἰδὲ προσμενῶ σε παιδίον μέχρι τοῦ σε ἐλθεῖν Tb 2:2
And when I saw the abundance of meat, I said to my son, “Go and bring whatsoever poor man you find among our brethren, who is mindful of the Lord, and, see, I will wait for you.”
- - - 3 Tb 2:3 3 καὶ ἐπορεύθη Τωβιας ζητῆσαί τινα πτωχὸν τῶν ἀδελφῶν ἡμῶν καὶ ἐπιστρέψας λέγει πάτερ καὶ εἶπα αὐτῷ ἰδοὺ ἐγώ παιδίον καὶ ἀποκριθεὶς εἶπεν πάτερ ἰδοὺ εἷς ἐκ τοῦ ἔθνους ἡμῶν πεφόνευται καὶ ἔρριπται ἐν τῇ ἀγορᾷ καὶ αὐτόθι νῦν ἐστραγγάληται Tb 2:3
But he returned and said, “Father, one of our nation was strangled and cast out in the marketplace.”
- - - 4 Tb 2:4 4 καὶ ἀναπηδήσας ἀφῆκα τὸ ἄριστον πρὶν ἢ γεύσασθαί με αὐτοῦ καὶ ἀναιροῦμαι αὐτὸν ἐκ τῆς πλατείας καὶ εἰς ἓν τῶν οἰκιδίων ἔθηκα μέχρι τοῦ τὸν ἥλιον δύειν καὶ θάψω αὐτόν Tb 2:4
Then, before I had tasted any of the meat, I went out, and took him up into a room until sundown.
- - - 5 Tb 2:5 5 ἐπιστρέψας οὖν ἐλουσάμην καὶ ἤσθιον τὸν ἄρτον μετὰ πένθους Tb 2:5
Then I returned, and washed myself, and ate my meat in sadness,
- - - 6 Tb 2:6 6 καὶ ἐμνήσθην τοῦ ῥήματος τοῦ προφήτου ὅσα ἐλάλησεν Αμως ἐπὶ Βαιθηλ λέγων στραφήσονται ὑμῶν αἱ ἑορταὶ εἰς πένθος καὶ πᾶσαι αἱ ᾠδαὶ ὑμῶν εἰς θρῆνος καὶ ἔκλαυσα Tb 2:6
remembering the prophecy of Amos, as he said, “Your feasts shall be turned into mourning and all your mirth into lamentation.”
- - - 7 Tb 2:7 7 καὶ ὅτε ἔδυ ὁ ἥλιος ᾠχόμην καὶ ὀρύξας ἔθαψα αὐτόν Tb 2:7
Therefore I wept, and after sundown I went and made a grave and buried him.
- - - 8 Tb 2:8 8 καὶ οἱ πλησίον μου κατεγέλων λέγοντες οὐ φοβεῖται οὐκέτι ἤδη γὰρ ἐπεζητήθη τοῦ φονευθῆναι περὶ τοῦ πράγματος τούτου καὶ ἀπέδρα καὶ πάλιν ἰδοὺ θάπτει τοὺς νεκρούς Tb 2:8
But my neighbors mocked me and said, “This man is still not afraid to be put to death for this matter; and, see, though he fled away before, he now buries the dead again.”
- - - 9 Tb 2:9 9 καὶ αὐτῇ τῇ νυκτὶ ἐλουσάμην καὶ εἰσῆλθον εἰς τὴν αὐλήν μου καὶ ἐκοιμήθην παρὰ τὸν τοῖχον τῆς αὐλῆς καὶ τὸ πρόσωπόν μου ἀνακεκαλυμμένον διὰ τὸ καῦμα Tb 2:9
¶That same night, I returned from the burial and slept by the wall of my courtyard, because I was polluted. And my face was uncovered,
- - - 10 Tb 2:10 10 καὶ οὐκ ᾔδειν ὅτι στρουθία ἐν τῷ τοίχῳ ἐπάνω μού εἰσιν καὶ ἐκάθισεν τὸ ἀφόδευμα αὐτῶν εἰς τοὺς ὀφθαλμούς μου θερμὸν καὶ ἐπήγαγεν λευκώματα καὶ ἐπορευόμην πρὸς τοὺς ἰατροὺς θεραπευθῆναι καὶ ὅσῳ ἐνεχρίοσάν με τὰ φάρμακα τοσούτῳ μᾶλλον ἐξετυφλοῦντο οἱ ὀφθαλμοί μου τοῖς λευκώμασιν μέχρι τοῦ ἀποτυφλωθῆναι καὶ ἤμην ἀδύνατος τοῖς ὀφθαλμοῖς ἔτη τέσσαρα καὶ πάντες οἱ ἀδελφοί μου ἐλυποῦντο περὶ ἐμοῦ καὶ Αχιαχαρος ἔτρεφέν με ἔτη δύο πρὸ τοῦ αὐτὸν βαδίσαι εἰς τὴν Ἐλυμαΐδα Tb 2:10
and I did not know that there were sparrows in the wall. And, since my eyes were open, the sparrows emitted warm dung into my eyes, and a whiteness fell into my eyes. And I went to the physicians, but they did not help me. Moreover, Achiacharus had to nourish me, until I went into Elymais.
- - - 11 Tb 2:11 11 καὶ ἐν τῷ χρόνῳ ἐκείνῳ Αννα ἡ γυνή μου ἠριθεύετο ἐν τοῖς ἔργοις τοῖς γυναικείοις Tb 2:11
And my wife Anna took in women’s work.
- - - 12 Tb 2:12 12 καὶ ἀπέστελλε τοῖς κυρίοις αὐτῶν καὶ ἀπεδίδουν αὐτῇ τὸν μισθόν καὶ ἐν τῇ ἑβδόμῃ τοῦ Δύστρου ἐξέτεμε τὸν ἱστὸν καὶ ἀπέστειλεν αὐτὸν τοῖς κυρίοις καὶ ἔδωκαν αὐτῇ τὸν μισθὸν πάντα καὶ ἔδωκαν αὐτῇ ἐφ’ ἑστίᾳ ἔριφον ἐξ αἰγῶν Tb 2:12
And when she had sent these home again to the owners, they paid her her wages and gave her in addition a young goat.
- - - 13 Tb 2:13 13 καὶ ὅτε εἰσῆλθεν πρός με ὁ ἔριφος ἤρξατο κράζειν καὶ ἐκάλεσα αὐτὴν καὶ εἶπα πόθεν τὸ ἐρίφιον τοῦτο μήποτε κλεψιμαῖόν ἐστιν ἀπόδος αὐτὸ τοῖς κυρίοις αὐτοῦ οὐ γὰρ ἐξουσίαν ἔχομεν ἡμεῖς φαγεῖν οὐδὲν κλεψιμαῖον Tb 2:13
And when it was in my house, and began to call out, I said to her, “Where did this young goat come from? Is it not stolen? Return it to the owners, for it is not lawful to eat anything which is stolen.”
- - - 14 Tb 2:14 14 καὶ λέγει μοι αὐτή δόσει δέδοταί μοι ἐπὶ τῷ μισθῷ καὶ οὐκ ἐπίστευον αὐτῇ καὶ ἔλεγον ἀποδοῦναι τοῖς κυρίοις καὶ προσηρυθρίων χάριν τούτου πρὸς αὐτήν εἶτα ἀποκριθεῖσα λέγει μοι καὶ ποῦ εἰσιν αἱ ἐλεημοσύναι σου ποῦ εἰσιν αἱ δικαιοσύναι σου ἰδὲ ταῦτα μετὰ σοῦ γνωστά ἐστιν Tb 2:14
But she replied to me, “It was given as a gift, over and above my wages.” However, I did not believe her, but directed her to return it to the owners, and I was ashamed at her. But she replied to me, “Where are your alms and your righteous deeds? See now, you and all your works are known.”
- - -
Match Diacritics KEYMAP Wildcard