Σοφία Σαλωμῶνος Wisdom of Solomon
CATSS LXX Wiki Latin Translation LXX / Vulgata Clementina Westminster Leningrad Codex Wiki Latin Translation HB / Vulgata Clementina 1 Wsd 11:1 1 εὐόδωσεν τὰ ἔργα αὐτῶν ἐν χειρὶ προφήτου ἁγίου Wsd 11:1
Wisdom prospered their works in the hand of a holy prophet.
- - - 2 Wsd 11:2 2 διώδευσαν ἔρημον ἀοίκητον καὶ ἐν ἀβάτοις ἔπηξαν σκηνάς Wsd 11:2
They traveled through a desert without inhabitant, and they pitched their tents in trackless regions.
- - - 3 Wsd 11:3 3 ἀντέστησαν πολεμίοις καὶ ἐχθροὺς ἠμύναντο Wsd 11:3
They withstood enemies and repelled foes.
- - - 4 Wsd 11:4 4 ἐδίψησαν καὶ ἐπεκαλέσαντό σε καὶ ἐδόθη αὐτοῖς ἐκ πέτρας ἀκροτόμου ὕδωρ καὶ ἴαμα δίψης ἐκ λίθου σκληροῦ Wsd 11:4
They thirsted, and they called upon you, and water was given to them out of the
flinty rock, and healing of their thirst out of the hard stone.
- - - 5 Wsd 11:5 5 δι’ ὧν γὰρ ἐκολάσθησαν οἱ ἐχθροὶ αὐτῶν διὰ τούτων αὐτοὶ ἀποροῦντες εὐεργετήθησαν Wsd 11:5
For by what things their foes were punished, by these they in their need were benefited.
- - - 6 Wsd 11:6 6 ἀντὶ μὲν πηγῆς ἀενάου ποταμοῦ αἵματι λυθρώδει ταραχθέντος Wsd 11:6
When enemies were troubled with clotted blood instead of a river’s ever-flowing fountain,
- - - 7 Wsd 11:7 7 εἰς ἔλεγχον νηπιοκτόνου διατάγματος ἔδωκας αὐτοῖς δαψιλὲς ὕδωρ ἀνελπίστως Wsd 11:7
to rebuke the decree for the slaying of babies, you gave them abundant water beyond all hope,
- - - 8 Wsd 11:8 8 δείξας διὰ τοῦ τότε δίψους πῶς τοὺς ὑπεναντίους ἐκόλασας Wsd 11:8
having shown by the thirst which they had suffered how you punished the adversaries.
- - - 9 Wsd 11:9 9 ὅτε γὰρ ἐπειράσθησαν καίπερ ἐν ἐλέει παιδευόμενοι ἔγνωσαν πῶς μετ’ ὀργῆς κρινόμενοι ἀσεβεῖς ἐβασανίζοντο Wsd 11:9
For when they were tried, although chastened in mercy, they learned how the ungodly were tormented, being judged with wrath.
- - - 10 Wsd 11:10 10 τούτους μὲν γὰρ ὡς πατὴρ νουθετῶν ἐδοκίμασας ἐκείνους δὲ ὡς ἀπότομος βασιλεὺς καταδικάζων ἐξήτασας Wsd 11:10
For you tested these as a father admonishing them; but you searched out those as a stern king condemning them.
- - - 11 Wsd 11:11 11 καὶ ἀπόντες δὲ καὶ παρόντες ὁμοίως ἐτρύχοντο Wsd 11:11
Yes and whether they were far off or near, they were equally distressed;
- - - 12 Wsd 11:12 12 διπλῆ γὰρ αὐτοὺς ἔλαβεν λύπη καὶ στεναγμὸς μνημῶν τῶν παρελθόντων Wsd 11:12
for a double grief seized them, and a groaning at the memory of things past.
- - - 13 Wsd 11:13 13 ὅτε γὰρ ἤκουσαν διὰ τῶν ἰδίων κολάσεων εὐεργετημένους αὐτούς ᾔσθοντο τοῦ κυρίου Wsd 11:13
For when they heard that through their own punishments the others benefited, they recognized the Lord.
- - - 14 Wsd 11:14 14 ὃν γὰρ ἐν ἐκθέσει πάλαι ῥιφέντα ἀπεῖπον χλευάζοντες ἐπὶ τέλει τῶν ἐκβάσεων ἐθαύμασαν οὐχ ὅμοια δικαίοις διψήσαντες Wsd 11:14
For him who long before was thrown out and exposed they stopped mocking. In the end of what happened, they marveled, having thirsted in another manner than the righteous.
- - - 15 Wsd 11:15 15 ἀντὶ δὲ λογισμῶν ἀσυνέτων ἀδικίας αὐτῶν ἐν οἷς πλανηθέντες ἐθρήσκευον ἄλογα ἑρπετὰ καὶ κνώδαλα εὐτελῆ ἐπαπέστειλας αὐτοῖς πλῆθος ἀλόγων ζῴων εἰς ἐκδίκησιν Wsd 11:15
But in return for the senseless imaginings of their unrighteousness, wherein they were led astray to worship irrational reptiles and wretched vermin, you sent upon them a multitude of irrational creatures to punish them,
- - - 16 Wsd 11:16 16 ἵνα γνῶσιν ὅτι δι’ ὧν τις ἁμαρτάνει διὰ τούτων κολάζεται Wsd 11:16
that they might learn that by what things a man sins, by these he is punished.
- - - 17 Wsd 11:17 17 οὐ γὰρ ἠπόρει ἡ παντοδύναμός σου χεὶρ καὶ κτίσασα τὸν κόσμον ἐξ ἀμόρφου ὕλης ἐπιπέμψαι αὐτοῖς πλῆθος ἄρκων ἢ θρασεῖς λέοντας Wsd 11:17
For your all-powerful hand that created the world out of formless matter didn’t lack means to send upon them a multitude of bears, fierce lions,
- - - 18 Wsd 11:18 18 ἢ νεοκτίστους θυμοῦ πλήρεις θῆρας ἀγνώστους ἤτοι πυρπνόον φυσῶντας ἄσθμα ἢ βρόμον λικμωμένους καπνοῦ ἢ δεινοὺς ἀπ’ ὀμμάτων σπινθῆρας ἀστράπτοντας Wsd 11:18
or newly-created and unknown wild beasts, full of rage, either breathing out a blast of fiery breath, or belching out smoke, or flashing dreadful sparks from their eyes;
- - - 19 Wsd 11:19 19 ὧν οὐ μόνον ἡ βλάβη ἠδύνατο συνεκτρῖψαι αὐτούς ἀλλὰ καὶ ἡ ὄψις ἐκφοβήσασα διολέσαι Wsd 11:19
which had power not only to consume them by their violence, but to destroy them even by the terror of their sight.
- - - 20 Wsd 11:20 20 καὶ χωρὶς δὲ τούτων ἑνὶ πνεύματι πεσεῖν ἐδύναντο ὑπὸ τῆς δίκης διωχθέντες καὶ λικμηθέντες ὑπὸ πνεύματος δυνάμεώς σου ἀλλὰ πάντα μέτρῳ καὶ ἀριθμῷ καὶ σταθμῷ διέταξας Wsd 11:20
Yes and without these they might have fallen by a single breath, being pursued by Justice, and scattered abroad by the breath of your power; but you arranged all things by measure, number, and weight.
- - - 21 Wsd 11:21 21 τὸ γὰρ μεγάλως ἰσχύειν σοι πάρεστιν πάντοτε καὶ κράτει βραχίονός σου τίς ἀντιστήσεται Wsd 11:21
For to be greatly strong is yours at all times. Who could withstand the might of your arm?
- - - 22 Wsd 11:22 22 ὅτι ὡς ῥοπὴ ἐκ πλαστίγγων ὅλος ὁ κόσμος ἐναντίον σου καὶ ὡς ῥανὶς δρόσου ὀρθρινὴ κατελθοῦσα ἐπὶ γῆν Wsd 11:22
Because the whole world before you is as a grain in a balance, and as a drop of dew that comes down upon the earth in the morning.
- - - 23 Wsd 11:23 23 ἐλεεῖς δὲ πάντας ὅτι πάντα δύνασαι καὶ παρορᾷς ἁμαρτήματα ἀνθρώπων εἰς μετάνοιαν Wsd 11:23
But you have mercy on all men, because you have power to do all things, and you overlook the sins of men to the end that they may repent.
- - - 24 Wsd 11:24 24 ἀγαπᾷς γὰρ τὰ ὄντα πάντα καὶ οὐδὲν βδελύσσῃ ὧν ἐποίησας οὐδὲ γὰρ ἂν μισῶν τι κατεσκεύασας Wsd 11:24
For you love all things that are, and abhor none of the things which you made; For you never would have formed anything if you hated it. For you love all things that are, and abhor none of the things
which you made;
- - - 25 Wsd 11:25 25 πῶς δὲ διέμεινεν ἄν τι εἰ μὴ σὺ ἠθέλησας ἢ τὸ μὴ κληθὲν ὑπὸ σοῦ διετηρήθη Wsd 11:25
How would anything have endured unless you had willed it? Or that which was not called by you, how would it have been preserved?
- - - 26 Wsd 11:26 26 φείδῃ δὲ πάντων ὅτι σά ἐστιν δέσποτα φιλόψυχε Wsd 11:26
But you spare all things, because they are yours, O Sovereign Lord, you who love the living.
- - -
Match Diacritics KEYMAP Wildcard