Σοφία Σαλωμῶνος Wisdom of Solomon
CATSS LXX Wiki Latin Translation LXX / Vulgata Clementina Westminster Leningrad Codex Wiki Latin Translation HB / Vulgata Clementina 1 Wsd 14:1 1 πλοῦν τις πάλιν στελλόμενος καὶ ἄγρια μέλλων διοδεύειν κύματα τοῦ φέροντος αὐτὸν πλοίου σαθρότερον ξύλον ἐπιβοᾶται Wsd 14:1
Again, one preparing to sail, and about to journey over raging waves, calls upon a piece of wood more fragile than the vessel that carries him.
- - - 2 Wsd 14:2 2 ἐκεῖνο μὲν γὰρ ὄρεξις πορισμῶν ἐπενόησεν τεχνῖτις δὲ σοφία κατεσκεύασεν Wsd 14:2
For the hunger for profit planned it, and wisdom was the craftsman who built it. For the hunger for profit planned it, and wisdom was the craftsman
who built it.
- - - 3 Wsd 14:3 3 ἡ δὲ σή πάτερ διακυβερνᾷ πρόνοια ὅτι ἔδωκας καὶ ἐν θαλάσσῃ ὁδὸν καὶ ἐν κύμασι τρίβον ἀσφαλῆ Wsd 14:3
Your providence, O Father, guides it along, because even in the sea you gave a way, and in the waves a sure path,
- - - 4 Wsd 14:4 4 δεικνὺς ὅτι δύνασαι ἐκ παντὸς σῴζειν ἵνα κἂν ἄνευ τέχνης τις ἐπιβῇ Wsd 14:4
showing that you can save out of every danger, that even a man without skill may put to sea.
- - - 5 Wsd 14:5 5 θέλεις δὲ μὴ ἀργὰ εἶναι τὰ τῆς σοφίας σου ἔργα διὰ τοῦτο καὶ ἐλαχίστῳ ξύλῳ πιστεύουσιν ἄνθρωποι ψυχὰς καὶ διελθόντες κλύδωνα σχεδίᾳ διεσώθησαν Wsd 14:5
It is your will that the works of your wisdom should not be ineffective. Therefore men also entrust their lives to a little piece of wood, and passing through the surge on a raft come safely to land.
- - - 6 Wsd 14:6 6 καὶ ἀρχῆς γὰρ ἀπολλυμένων ὑπερηφάνων γιγάντων ἡ ἐλπὶς τοῦ κόσμου ἐπὶ σχεδίας καταφυγοῦσα ἀπέλιπεν αἰῶνι σπέρμα γενέσεως τῇ σῇ κυβερνηθεῖσα χειρί Wsd 14:6
in the old time also, when proud giants were perishing, the hope of the world, taking refuge on a raft, your hand guided the seed of generations of the race of men.
- - - 7 Wsd 14:7 7 εὐλόγηται γὰρ ξύλον δι’ οὗ γίνεται δικαιοσύνη Wsd 14:7
For blessed is wood through which comes righteousness;
- - - 8 Wsd 14:8 8 τὸ χειροποίητον δέ ἐπικατάρατον αὐτὸ καὶ ὁ ποιήσας αὐτό ὅτι ὁ μὲν ἠργάζετο τὸ δὲ φθαρτὸν θεὸς ὠνομάσθη Wsd 14:8
but the idol made with hands is accursed, itself and he that made it; because his was the working, and the corruptible thing was called a god.
- - - 9 Wsd 14:9 9 ἐν ἴσῳ γὰρ μισητὰ θεῷ καὶ ὁ ἀσεβῶν καὶ ἡ ἀσέβεια αὐτοῦ Wsd 14:9
For both the ungodly and his ungodliness are alike hateful to God;
- - - 10 Wsd 14:10 10 καὶ γὰρ τὸ πραχθὲν σὺν τῷ δράσαντι κολασθήσεται Wsd 14:10
for truly the deed will be punished together with him who committed it.
- - - 11 Wsd 14:11 11 διὰ τοῦτο καὶ ἐν εἰδώλοις ἐθνῶν ἐπισκοπὴ ἔσται ὅτι ἐν κτίσματι θεοῦ εἰς βδέλυγμα ἐγενήθησαν καὶ εἰς σκάνδαλα ψυχαῖς ἀνθρώπων καὶ εἰς παγίδα ποσὶν ἀφρόνων Wsd 14:11
Therefore also there will be a visitation among the idols of the nation, because, though formed of things which God created, they were made an abomination, stumbling blocks to the souls of men, and a snare to the feet of the foolish.
- - - 12 Wsd 14:12 12 ἀρχὴ γὰρ πορνείας ἐπίνοια εἰδώλων εὕρεσις δὲ αὐτῶν φθορὰ ζωῆς Wsd 14:12
For the devising of idols was the beginning of fornication, and the invention of them the corruption of life.
- - - 13 Wsd 14:13 13 οὔτε γὰρ ἦν ἀπ’ ἀρχῆς οὔτε εἰς τὸν αἰῶνα ἔσται Wsd 14:13
For they didn’t exist from the beginning, and they won’t exist forever.
- - - 14 Wsd 14:14 14 κενοδοξίᾳ γὰρ ἀνθρώπων εἰσῆλθεν εἰς τὸν κόσμον καὶ διὰ τοῦτο σύντομον αὐτῶν τὸ τέλος ἐπενοήθη Wsd 14:14
For by the boastfulness of men they entered into the world, and therefore a speedy end was planned for them.
- - - 15 Wsd 14:15 15 ἀώρῳ γὰρ πένθει τρυχόμενος πατὴρ τοῦ ταχέως ἀφαιρεθέντος τέκνου εἰκόνα ποιήσας τόν ποτε νεκρὸν ἄνθρωπον νῦν ὡς θεὸν ἐτίμησεν καὶ παρέδωκεν τοῖς ὑποχειρίοις μυστήρια καὶ τελετάς Wsd 14:15
For a father worn with untimely grief, making an image of the child quickly taken away, now honored him as a god which was then a dead human being, and delivered to those that were under him mysteries and solemn rites.
- - - 16 Wsd 14:16 16 εἶτα ἐν χρόνῳ κρατυνθὲν τὸ ἀσεβὲς ἔθος ὡς νόμος ἐφυλάχθη Wsd 14:16
Afterward the ungodly custom, in process of time grown strong, was kept as a law, and the engraved images received worship by the commandments of princes.
- - - 17 Wsd 14:17 17 καὶ τυράννων ἐπιταγαῖς ἐθρησκεύετο τὰ γλυπτά οὓς ἐν ὄψει μὴ δυνάμενοι τιμᾶν ἄνθρωποι διὰ τὸ μακρὰν οἰκεῖν τὴν πόρρωθεν ὄψιν ἀνατυπωσάμενοι ἐμφανῆ εἰκόνα τοῦ τιμωμένου βασιλέως ἐποίησαν ἵνα ὡς παρόντα τὸν ἀπόντα κολακεύωσιν διὰ τῆς σπουδῆς Wsd 14:17
And when men could not honor them in presence because they lived far off, imagining the likeness from afar, they made a visible image of the king whom they honored, that by their zeal they might flatter the absent as if present.
- - - 18 Wsd 14:18 18 εἰς ἐπίτασιν δὲ θρησκείας καὶ τοὺς ἀγνοοῦντας ἡ τοῦ τεχνίτου προετρέψατο φιλοτιμία Wsd 14:18
But worship was raised to a yet higher pitch, even by those who didn’t know him, urged forward by the ambition of the architect;
- - - 19 Wsd 14:19 19 ὁ μὲν γὰρ τάχα κρατοῦντι βουλόμενος ἀρέσαι ἐξεβιάσατο τῇ τέχνῃ τὴν ὁμοιότητα ἐπὶ τὸ κάλλιον Wsd 14:19
for he, wishing perhaps to please his ruler, used his art to force the likeness toward a greater beauty.
- - - 20 Wsd 14:20 20 τὸ δὲ πλῆθος ἐφελκόμενον διὰ τὸ εὔχαρι τῆς ἐργασίας τὸν πρὸ ὀλίγου τιμηθέντα ἄνθρωπον νῦν σέβασμα ἐλογίσαντο Wsd 14:20
So the multitude, allured by reason of the grace of his handiwork, now consider an object of devotion him that a little before was honored as a man.
- - - 21 Wsd 14:21 21 καὶ τοῦτο ἐγένετο τῷ βίῳ εἰς ἔνεδρον ὅτι ἢ συμφορᾷ ἢ τυραννίδι δουλεύσαντες ἄνθρωποι τὸ ἀκοινώνητον ὄνομα λίθοις καὶ ξύλοις περιέθεσαν Wsd 14:21
And this became an ambush, because men, in bondage either to calamity or to tyranny, invested stones and stocks with the Name that shouldn’t be shared.
- - - 22 Wsd 14:22 22 εἶτ’ οὐκ ἤρκεσεν τὸ πλανᾶσθαι περὶ τὴν τοῦ θεοῦ γνῶσιν ἀλλὰ καὶ ἐν μεγάλῳ ζῶντες ἀγνοίας πολέμῳ τὰ τοσαῦτα κακὰ εἰρήνην προσαγορεύουσιν Wsd 14:22
Afterward it was not enough for them to go astray concerning the knowledge of God, but also, while they live in a great war of ignorance, they call a multitude of evils peace.
- - - 23 Wsd 14:23 23 ἢ γὰρ τεκνοφόνους τελετὰς ἢ κρύφια μυστήρια ἢ ἐμμανεῖς ἐξάλλων θεσμῶν κώμους ἄγοντες Wsd 14:23
For either slaughtering children in solemn rites, or celebrating secret mysteries, or holding frenzied revels of strange customs,
- - - 24 Wsd 14:24 24 οὔτε βίους οὔτε γάμους καθαροὺς ἔτι φυλάσσουσιν ἕτερος δ’ ἕτερον ἢ λοχῶν ἀναιρεῖ ἢ νοθεύων ὀδυνᾷ Wsd 14:24
no longer do they guard either life or purity of marriage, but one brings upon another either death by treachery, or anguish by adultery.
- - - 25 Wsd 14:25 25 πάντα δ’ ἐπιμὶξ ἔχει αἷμα καὶ φόνος κλοπὴ καὶ δόλος φθορά ἀπιστία τάραχος ἐπιορκία Wsd 14:25
And all things confusedly are filled with blood and murder, theft and deceit, corruption, faithlessness, tumult, perjury,
- - - 26 Wsd 14:26 26 θόρυβος ἀγαθῶν χάριτος ἀμνηστία ψυχῶν μιασμός γενέσεως ἐναλλαγή γάμων ἀταξία μοιχεία καὶ ἀσέλγεια Wsd 14:26
confusion about what is good, forgetfulness of favors, ingratitude for benefits, defiling of souls, confusion of sex, disorder in marriage, adultery and wantonness.
- - - 27 Wsd 14:27 27 ἡ γὰρ τῶν ἀνωνύμων εἰδώλων θρησκεία παντὸς ἀρχὴ κακοῦ καὶ αἰτία καὶ πέρας ἐστίν Wsd 14:27
For the worship of idols that may not be named
is a beginning and cause and end of every evil.
- - - 28 Wsd 14:28 28 ἢ γὰρ εὐφραινόμενοι μεμήνασιν ἢ προφητεύουσιν ψευδῆ ἢ ζῶσιν ἀδίκως ἢ ἐπιορκοῦσιν ταχέως Wsd 14:28
For their worshipers either make merry to madness, or prophesy lies, or live unrighteously, or lightly commit perjury.
- - - 29 Wsd 14:29 29 ἀψύχοις γὰρ πεποιθότες εἰδώλοις κακῶς ὀμόσαντες ἀδικηθῆναι οὐ προσδέχονται Wsd 14:29
For putting their trust in lifeless idols, when they have sworn a wicked oath, they expect not to suffer harm.
- - - 30 Wsd 14:30 30 ἀμφότερα δὲ αὐτοὺς μετελεύσεται τὰ δίκαια ὅτι κακῶς ἐφρόνησαν περὶ θεοῦ προσέχοντες εἰδώλοις καὶ ἀδίκως ὤμοσαν ἐν δόλῳ καταφρονήσαντες ὁσιότητος Wsd 14:30
But on both counts, the just doom will pursue them, because they had evil thoughts of God by giving heed to idols, and swore unrighteously in deceit through contempt for holiness.
- - - 31 Wsd 14:31 31 οὐ γὰρ ἡ τῶν ὀμνυμένων δύναμις ἀλλ’ ἡ τῶν ἁμαρτανόντων δίκη ἐπεξέρχεται ἀεὶ τὴν τῶν ἀδίκων παράβασιν Wsd 14:31
For it is not the power of things by which men swear, but it is the just penalty for those who sin that always visits the transgression of the unrighteous.
- - -
Match Diacritics KEYMAP Wildcard